Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
70 Million Investment for Ethanol

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 25, 12 at 22:05

Interesting if it gets off the ground!

Joule Unlimited, a startup based in Bedford, Massachusetts, has received $70 million to commercialize technology that uses microörganisms to turn sunlight and carbon dioxide into liquid fuel.

The company claims that its genetically engineered bacteria will eventually be able to produce ethanol for as little as $1.23 a gallon or diesel fuel for $1.19 a gallon, less than half the current cost of both fossil fuels and existing biofuels.
I wish them luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Joule

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 70 Million Investment for Ethanol

An alternate fuel like that makes more practical sense than an all electric car. This is something that can be implemented sooner than later and help decrease the demand on fossil fuel, not to mention bringing some relief to family budgets.

o

Privately held company would be a nice investment!

o

There's a lot of interesting stuff out there using algae, sunlight, and other inputs, like CO2. Exxon and some group in New Zealand have a way of converting methane into gasoline, although I dunno even the rough outline of that one.

Exxon also joined up with Craig Venter, of human DNA sequencing fame, and pledged 500 million in an genetically modified DNA algae scheme - Scientific American interview with Venter at the link. The guy may be a jerk, but does have some interesting insights.

There is also a start-up algae farm near here in the high desert, run by the Southern Ute tribe.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to Vener interview

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 26, 12 at 10:27

I am for "alternative" energy !

o

I saw a documentary once on fuel being produced in Brazil. It was smack dab in the middle of sugar cane country. Many cars and most buses in the region were converted to use that particular kind of fuel and it was being produced at a cheaper price than regular gas.

I can imagine something like that would be quite practical in say Omaha and Des Moines...maybe as far away as St. Louis, Chicago, Minneapolis.

There's all sorts of strategies a country can take. We seem to want one all-encompassing solution.

-Ron-

o

I'm glad we are running like hell away from "clean" coal.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here