Kony 2012 sheds light on Uganda conflict

Gogle news search...

Search

Video 29 min long...

KONY 2012 by INVISIBLE CHILDREN

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Half hour film and news about it.

I'd heard of this, hadn't seen it. Wow, that was a powerful short doc, the tactic to make Kony famous to shame the world into hunting him down, like the serial murderer that he is, has merit. The Lord's Resistance Army needs to be destroyed.

o

I just donated to them. Wish I could get an action kit, but every bit and every share helps.

Excellent project, excellent video.

o

Thank you, Don!

That's something we can all agree on and participate in.

Joseph Kony is a name not well-known to the world, But after 26 years of committing atrocious crimes in Uganda, it is time to take action.
In a basic summary, Joseph Kony, the leader of the LRA (Lord's resistance army) orders for children to be abducted from their homes at night to join his rebel army. The boys, brainwashed and trained to become child soldiers, the girls, to become sex slaves for his officers. These child soldiers are forced to kill their own parents and siblings.

This is not something that should be ignored, and it is unbelievable to think it has been ignored for so long. But no more, with your help Kony's name will be known throughout the world, with your effort we will make the US government take action in persisting with the arrest of Joseph Kony.

Already 100 American soldiers are working in Uganda to find and arrest Kony, but without the attention and passion of the world, they will soon be withdrawn, and Kony will be left to regain his strength once again and continue his crimes.

Do take note, Kony has openly said he commits these crimes for no other reason then to empower himself.

I printed the image and the text from DA and will meet with several tenants and ask for their support financially and via their social media contacts.

Elly, how did you donate? The link keeps sending me to a 404 error page.

o

Linked is a piece about the LRA in Foreign Policy that helps explain some of the problems.

It does not mention that in this part of Africa, there are very few roads to begin with, and they are all impassable any time it rains.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

David,

That piece just about tells us to give up hope.

o

I dunno. That article was from a couple years ago. It isn't making much news here, but there are a few American 'advisors' at work there now in Uganda, started maybe 6 months ago, in the over-all scheme of the war on terror but specifically after this guy. Perhaps similar to the folks 'advising' the OAU in Somalia with an occasional missile strike from some fighter jet that nobody knows anything about.

o

Here's a link talking about the 100 troops Obama sent - some of the commentators at the bottom suspect what I'm thinking as well, that some sort of air support is included.

and then we have this tidbit: "On his radio show Friday, Rush Limbaugh came to the defense of the Lord's Resistance Army, a notoriously savage group that is believed to have committed an extraordinary number of human rights violations since it was created in 1987.

Rush Limbaugh in his Palm Beach, Fla. radio studio. (AP) In criticizing President Obama for announcing he would send 100 U.S. troops to Uganda to help fight the LRA, Limbaugh told his listeners that Obama had sent them to "kill Christians in Africa."

with a rebuttal from one of the survivors......http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/rush-limbaugh-defends-violent-lords-resistance-army-survivor-responds/2011/10/18/gIQA8CjxuL_blog.html?tid=pm_world_pop

Here is a link that might be useful: link about the 100 troops

o

Thanks David.

o

Linked is a 2006 article by Christopher Hitchens on the LRA. Now that he's passed on, this is a pretty good example of his better exposes and writing.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

My 14 year old grandson posted this on FB and all his friends are involved spreading the word. I will confess I had not known the man's name, but did know of the atrocities. Seems like this is reminiscent of Hitler and how we turned a blind eye at the beginning.

o

Good that this is getting some attention now but sad that it took this video to educate the public about the atrocities committed by this man.

I recall when the President sent the 100 American troops to Uganda there was discussion right here on this forum about the States NOT getting involved.

I fear the same for Syria, we will collectively ignore them for years until the situation is so horrid we can no longer turn our eyes.

o

There was an interview with the US commander of AFRICOM this morning on NPR, as well as someone from Uganda. He pointed out that this guy has caused the dislocation of over 200,000 people. The Lady from Uganda pointed out that he may not even be in Uganda but the CAR or Sudan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here