Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Speaking against equality

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 2:50

A preacher speaks to Springfield, Mo., there's an ongoing legislative battle to add LGBTQ folks to the equal rights laws in the city. Listen to the end.

Here is a link that might be useful: Watch A Preacher Attack Gay Marriage And Totally Change His Mind On The Spot

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Speaking against equality

Brilliant! A great use of the the past against the present that deserves a wider audience...

o

Interesting tactic, to say the least! but judging from the expressions of the people behind him, I don't think most of them caught what was going on. Hopefully the lawmakers are quicker on the uptake. Or maybe it is an issue of whether anybody is actually listening or not. Hmmmm.

Kate

o

He doesn't "change his mind". But I love what he did!!!! Totally cool. Good way to title the headline to get people to look at. Smart web administrators. Love it, love it, love it!

You're right Kate, but I consider those idiots the ones who want to keep rights from the Gay community. The rest of us are smart enough to understand.
:)

o

I saw that when it came out last year. Still cool!

o

Well, I managed to get a monitor that works, but there is no sound on board... can someone please paraphrase what was said for me?

o

Sure. He's reading from notes saying that being gay and supporting gay rights are clearly against "God's laws and we're going to bring his anger..." (totally paraphrasing) blah blah blah and then he pretends to misspeak himself and says "of segregation..." stumbles some more and then announces that he's "seems to have brought the wrong notes from the wrong century" still flustered, until he says what he really came to say:

"These are direct quotes from white preachers in the 1950s and the 1960s all in support of racial segregation. All I have done is simply take out the phrase racial segregation and substituted with it the phrase gay rights. I guess the arguments I've been hearing around Springfield are so similar to these, that I've gotten them confused. I hope you will not make the same mistake. I hope you will stand on the right side of history."

This post was edited by rob333 on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 8:52

o

Sweet... thanks, Robin!

Isn't it odd that society just trades one fear for another as the decades move forward...

o

Great theater!

o

Yes that was good. It seems like a recipe for all issues. Put a dash of Bible, a cup of Liberal, two cups of Fear, and sprinkle heavily with Rights.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 11:13

Isn't it odd that society just trades one fear for another as the decades move forward..

Bingo!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here