Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OIl leak

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 3:27

"An Exxon-Mobil oil pipeline ruptured Friday afternoon in the town of Mayflower, Arkansas, forcing the evacuation of 20 homes and shutting down sections of interstate highway. According to Little Rock’s KATV, a hazardous materials team from the Office of Emergency Management has contained the spill and is currently attempting a cleanup."

The comments are interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arkansas residents evacuate as Exxon-Mobil tar sands pipeline ruptures

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OIl leak

I saw that... I just don't know what to say.

o

Disgusting is what I say. Please get on with further deregulation of oil and gas pipelines and please build many more to haul tar-sand bitumen through our communities. Sure to become tourist destinations when such communities can claim their own La Brea Tar Pits.

o

...and better yet when it gets to the gulf sell it to China!!!!

So much for energy independence when you can be a major exporter of oil....and it ain't even yours!

o

If it ever makes it to the Gulf and doesn't all leak out first!

o

Addictions have a high price.

o

This is a picture taken of a back yard by a neighbor, they are restricting the press from the worst areas.

"Folks, this is a backyard picture of the Mayflower, AR oil spill on that Exxon pipeline. The local authorities have denied the press access to these areas so few have actually seen the extent of the spill. This picture was taken by a friend's daughter who lives next door to this house. Share this widely!"

o

I can see years of wrangling over the clean up of this mess.

Polluter: "We've done a complete and exhaustive removal of all contaminated soil."

Community activist: "Why is our neighborhood experiencing clusters of ______ statistically 1,000% higher than average in other areas of the state?"

Then there's the problem of the owners trying to receive an equitable settlement for their property.

edited to complete a thought left hanging and headed for a 500 foot drop.

This post was edited by nancy_in_venice_ca on Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:46

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 12:45

No weeding or mowing this summer! See: the oil company has actually done them a favor, so shut up!

Whenever "authorities" exclude the press from something harmful to the public a big influential private company has done you know the system has a serious problem. Do "authorities" work for everyone or just oil companies etc.?

o

Love it how the local authorities won't let the press in. For their safety, I'm sure.

I wonder if they've restricted the airways so no news helicopters. Because our homeland 'security'.

o

Erin Brockovich comes to mind...

o

I've been composting and building my soil here since 1982. Just trying to imagine what a disaster that would be. If a tornado swept my house away I could rebuild, Even if the company responsible removed all the soil impacted and brought in all fresh, I would be 30 years behind. Not to mention all my fruit trees.
If I priced my place high enough to relocate and they contested the price, I wonder if they could use "eminent domain" .

o

My thoughts, Steve? Based upon my own dealings with federal and local government agencies, I think they could get away with doing whatever they wanted to do...

o

Hey, the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas need those Keystone jobs! They also NEED a little bit of that pollution too! Wind farms and solar panel farms don't generate enough jobs OR pollution...besides that stuff is librul.

-Ron-

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 14:02

This would be an arsonist's wet dream come true, it's a miracle nothing has sparked it all up in flames. Seeing the pic of the heat pump surrounded in oil the authorities must have immediately shut down power to the neighborhood? Just a brief mention of this spill in the news around here , no pics at all.

o

Ugg, Here's a link to a Youtube video made by a local.

Here is a link that might be useful: oil leak in Arkansas

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 16:53

Lots of pics at link ... in today's digital world, hard to "keep things hush hush".

Looks like a newer housing development..

Here is a link that might be useful: linky dink

o

Sorry, but just can't resist......

Come and listen to a story about a man named Jed
A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed,
Then one day he was shootin at some food,
And up through the ground came a bubblin crude.

Oil that is, black gold, Texas tea.

o

Thanks for the links to more information and pics. Here are links that I could get from Ohiomom's link with more links in them.

Mayflower residents speak out after oil spill

THV11 main page

o

Dave you are such a comedian, interesting that tea is in there.

o

Here is huff post story with pics at the bottom of the top ten disasters.

Here is a link that might be useful: Arkansas Oil Spill: Exxon Shuts Pegasus Pipeline After Rupture

o

o

My husband said "you should see the oil spill in Arkansas". I went to CNN to look and I actually had to search it out. It was no longer a "top" story. I found that that to be rather, um, crooked? I feel badly for the people who own homes there - good luck selling.

o

I say, park those cars and trucks, start walking. No makeup, no plastics, nothing made from petroleum products. Quit griping and man up!

o

Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 11:17

Of course I have been reading what I can find on this spill. Apparently the problem is this pipeline was built to carry "crude oil", and the tar sands stuff is NOT crude oil. From what I have found: it is Bitumen, something like asphalt, that is mixed with organic materials to enable them to push it through the pipe. It does not smell like oil and/or clean up like oil but can be processed like heavy crude.

I understand what you are saying MrsK, but a part of me also feels for the families that are being directly affected by this.

One thing to read about, another thing to have it happen in your backyard.

Another environmental disaster that is not in the news is the Louisiana sinkhole that continues to grow and has been ongoing since August of last year. Again no big deal unless you happen to live there I guess.

o

om, I do feel for those having to deal with this disaster and all other disasters, manmade or otherwise. Sinkholes have been going on forever. A man died and the home had to be demolished and homes evacuated around the sinkhole in Florida a couple of weeks ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 12:02

The difference between the sinkhole in Florida and the one in Louisiana is the fact that the Louisiana one is filled with toxic sludge. Again no big deal unless you happen to live near it.

o

I have yet to see one windmill leak anything that looks like that.

o

...And a solar energy spill is normally called a nice day:

o

"I have yet to see one windmill leak anything that looks like that."

I've never seen anything leak from solar panels, either...

When will Earth's inhabitants get their excrement together for the better of future generations?!

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 17:35

Fusion is the answer, it's abundant, it's clean, it's free, and.....it's The Sun.

o

"Upon approaching the spill zone, we were almost immediately stopped by police and warned that any “sneaking around” would lead to an immediate trip to the Faulkner County Jail, “no warnings.” Despite the stern advisory, this particular officer made it clear that these orders were coming straight from Exxon, and that only press with permission from Exxon media officials were to be granted access to document the site. No less than 20 minutes later, we were stopped again and issued a similar warning."

"Despite all of this, Exxon claims to be legally exempt from financial liability for this spill due to a U.S. law that fails to recognize tar sands as “conventional oil.” To opponents of the Keystone XL pipeline, this may seem ironic considering tar sands’ classification as “conventional crude oil” is precisely the justification for TransCanada’s use of eminent domain to seize the land of homeowners."

Here is a link that might be useful: Dispatches From Exxon’s Spill Zone

o

Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 7:10

Thanks for the update Don ... so Exxon is giving orders to the police department, this would be the same police department that is paid with citizens taxes.

The article confirms what I read, this is not crude oil and seems to be much more difficult/toxic when it comes to clean up, and I see it has entered the lake.

And bless their little hearts, they have found a loophole that says they do not have to pay for their mess.

o

If it can't be called "conventional oil", then it can be called what it is... a toxic spill of hazardous material.

o

The oil companies are doing all they can to fix the mess.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clean up

o

heavy sigh

o

my sigh is heavier than Rob's...Colbert had something on this yesterday, much more scathing. Four friggin spills recently. Should be easy enough to delay KXL at a minimum, cancel at compromise.

o

Everybody knows that Brawny Paper Towels are owned by Georgia Pacific which, in turn, is owned largely by the Koch Bros?

o

As Their Oil Floods Arkansas Neighborhoods, Exxon Wins National Safety Award

o

Say what? Seriously? Wow...

o

As for the NSC's Award Winning Awards, (fta) "the board is stacked with current and former Exxon executives, current executives within the dirty energy industry, and plenty of representatives from the chemical sector, including some higher ups from Monsanto and DuPont."

Sort of says it all.

o

US citizens have been brought and sold to the oil company.

o

as the underground pipelines age there will be more of this. All the old water manes in NY rupture quite often!

o

Meanwhile, out in Colorado, ......

"Williams energy company officials announced Wednesday that a mechanical failure caused the hydrocarbons spill that has poisoned groundwater and forced a multi-agency scramble to protect Parachute Creek in western Colorado.

A failed pressure gauge led to a leak that spilled 10,122 gallons of natural gas liquids from a valve, starting on Dec. 20, Williams spokesman Tom Droege said. Crews have cleaned up 5,964 gallons so far, Droege said. The leak was discovered and stopped on Jan. 3, he said.

Colorado environmental overseers weren't so sure. Williams' scenario "provides a possible explanation of a release," state natural resources spokesman Todd Hartman said.

"However, the investigation of the cause, or causes, of the impacts to soil and groundwater will continue until we can determine whether the release described by Williams accounts for the situation on the ground," Hartman said.

Parachute Creek flows into the Colorado River. The latest test results from groundwater wells near the creek contamination at levels up to 450 parts per billion of cancer-causing benzene. New monitoring wells along the creek are planned as state and federal authorities focus on the spill.

Williams orally notified state regulators on March 8 that work crews found contaminated soil near the company's gas processing plant, which was built along the creek.

Colorado Oil and Gas Conservation Commission rules allowed 10 days before Williams had to submit a detailed written report.

Back on Jan. 3, Williams crews discovered and cleaned up natural gas liquids that, at that time, they estimated at less than 42 gallons - low enough that state rules do not require notification of authorities, Droege said in a prepared statement. Williams officials were not immediately available. snip end quote

SEE, Arkansas? If you just do like us out here, and estimate the spill at less than 42 gallons, you don't have to report anything.

o

"InsideClimate News reporters Elizabeth McGowan, Lisa Song and David Hasemyer are the winners of this year's Pulitzer Prize for national reporting.

The trio took top honors in the category for their work on "The Dilbit Disaster: Inside the Biggest Oil Spill You've Never Heard Of," a project that began with a seven-month investigation into the million-gallon spill of Canadian tar sands oil into the Kalamazoo River in 2010. It broadened into an examination of national pipeline safety issues, and how unprepared the nation is for the impending flood of imports of a more corrosive and more dangerous form of oil.

The Pulitzer committee commended the reporters for their "rigorous reports on flawed regulation of the nation's oil pipelines, focusing on potential ecological dangers posed by diluted bitumen (or "dilbit"), a controversial form of oil."

The recent ExxonMobil pipeline spill in Arkansas, which also involved heavy Canadian crude oil, underscores the continuing relevance of this ongoing body of work, as the White House struggles with reaching a decision on the controversial Keystone XL pipeline.

"It is enormously gratifying to have our work recognized with such a high honor, and I’m very proud of our entire team," said David Sassoon, founder and publisher of InsideClimate News. "It's a watershed moment for our non-profit news organization, a good day for environmental journalism, and a hopeful signal for the future of our profession."

snip end quote

At the link is a great source of info on the Arkansas spill, as well as the others they've reported on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here