Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Were you a fan of Van?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 4:59

He cracked open the Soviet Union in 1958 by winning the Tchaikovsky competition with his brilliant playing of the first piano concerto. The Russians loved him and the women wanted to cook for him. Van Cliburn died this week at 78 but his recordings will live on as favorites in my classical collection and surely yours, too...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Were you a fan of Van?

I first saw him perform when I was pretty young - under 10. I was taking weekly piano lessons and my parents, who enjoyed piano/classical music anyway, encouraged my interest by taking me to the orchestra with featured pianists. Van Cliburn was great because he was young...someone that this kid related to. I enjoyed his performances quite a few times through the years.

o

phew , for a moment there I thought Van Morrison had died! (sorry Richard I dont know your Mr Cilburn)

o

Why am I not surprised...

o

you know Im just a non cultured colonialist

o

I' m sure that you are familiar with Chinese pianists...

o

Dinu Lupati fan here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here