Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you ready for a poomobile?

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 5:10

Hyundai has developed a vehicle that will run on human waste from sewerage plants and will be leasing it soon. You might need a giant air fresher but the mileage could be great. Ninety thousand people in California have signed up to try one out according to a radio report. What color would you like other than basic brown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you ready for a poomobile?

This idea should be flushed down the toilet!

o

Try not to be anal about this...

o

How many does the car seat

o

The Hyundai Tucson is being used. It is a small SUV that would seat four comfortably. So you wouldn't have to fight over a window seat...

o

fartmobile might be more accurate…

o

So FartCar, obviously. I'm sure they've already figured that out at corporate…

o

Please try to treat this matter with the respect it so effluently deserves...

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:20

For people on the go who just have to go.....

Here's the deluxe model with the optional turdbo charger...

o

So... what's wrong with trying to use waste materials in an environmentally friendly way?

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:54

That guy's really moving.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:55

(Not nearly good enough for a duplicate). My personal favorite is the very sensible question , "How many does it seat?" :)

This post was edited by rosie on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 12:31

o

Don't worry about the smell; developer Jack Brouwer told Bloomberg, "it smells like money".

Just add the Hyundai Tucson to your garage next to the stacked bags of Milorganite. Good to go! (or is that good to go and grow)

o

At least fuel won't be a problem...

o

Ninety thousand people in California have signed up to try one

So instead of straight to video, the Hollywood cwap goes to fuel a car?

o

This thread has me laughing!

o

Actually, this is a great concept. It will be interesting to see if it can be brought to fruition.
Many years ago I ordered a natural gas regulator from one of the adds in The Whole Earth Catalog, intending to do the same with my International Scout II. The Scout is gone now, but I still have that regulator. If this becomes feasible, I wonder how well my 1997 Nizzan pickup would adapt to it.
It often carries manure, so why not?

o

I would certainly hope that our poop fuel would be taken from our sewer systems, refined to be used as fuel and distributed by something similar to the gas station's set up. Im not willing to refine my own personal "fuel" for my car and that's that!

There is earthy and then there is e Earthy. Some might have no qualms but Im not to be counted as one of the "some" !
;)

However, if it could work in a similar fashion to my above description - what is taking them so long? As an endlessly renewable energy resource , and most certainly earth friendly, it is the perfect use of the endless waste humans will always create.

Im not sure how those who have some financial benefits from the enormous profits of the oil/gas industry will take it, though.

NOT well, I think that is a given.

o

It makes a lot less sense to flush it all away using potable water... that much is certain.

I'm all for composting or using waste materials in a way that keeps our planet cleaner.

o

Physics, as always. The reason propane and natural gas has not taken over the highways is volume of storage - there is much more energy in a given volume of gasoline or diesel. So it is largely used where air-quality is more important than other considerations: forklifts, city buses and so forth.

Density, baby, density - nothing tops the density, flowability and portability of gasoline.

And yes, of course flushing turds with clean water is madness. We don't need fart-cars to solve that problem. Think cardboard box and sawdust, then act smoothly.

o

I think composting toilets are an excellent idea. And there should be some kind of system for waste disposal companies or recycling to pick up and use all composted waste materials.

o

My idea is compressed sawdust modules that fit into crappers - vented like composted toilets are to reduce smell. When full, there is mechanism that pops a tight lid on the module while ejecting it from the crapper. You pick it up and place it in a specially-designed bin; a contracted service picks up the bin of full modules and drops of another full of fresh empties. Of course the bins are animal and bug proof.

Use my idea freely to solve the world's human waste problem and become fabulously rich. I'm too busy keeping tabs on Hay…..

o

The sawdust would not be an earth friendly or quickly renewable resource... but hemp particles might be.

o

I guess you don't know how much sawdust is produced as a by-product. Anything very cheap, organic and compressible might work.

o

Yes, I do... and I am guessing you don't know how long it takes a forest to grow...

o

Just wondering, why cant household "grey water" be used for flushing purposes?

We have a nice though tiny little self contained camper trailer with all the comforts of home available in it, and there is a fresh water tank for consumption or dishwashing (by hand so not EVERY convenience now that I think about it) the toilet is a tank that does flush into a chemically treated tank that is separate from all other water sources and then a grey water tank which is the dirty water from dishwashing, showers etc - non drinkable water.
Why could not household grey water be adapted by law somehow for the specific use for toilet flushing in all newly built homes?

It would be non wasteful and would save not only fresh water but save substantially on water bills. Just the water drained from washing machines would seem to me to be another excellent reuse. Between the water saved from the dishwasher/sink water and washing machine, or just from the showers alone would provide more water than could possibly be needed.
Ive also often thought that used shower or bath water could be very useful in lawn and flower bed watering although I presume not good for vegetable growing.

Regardless, the disposable box idea seems also reasonable unless the monthly bill would render the needy or even the lower middle class having to cut food expenses to pay for toilet expenses.

This is actually a very interesting conversation - not one I would have ever been able to foresee my enjoyment over!
;)

o

Tons and tons of it as the by-product of cutting, grinding, drilling, sanding, or otherwise pulverizing wood. Recycled into particle board, clay alternate kitty litter, and lots of other things - maybe not so much in use on barroom floors anymore.

Not as environmentally friendly as other things; and the dust is flammable and a known carcinogen. Big piles of it can leach into local waters.

o

Just wondering, why cant household "grey water" be used for flushing purposes?

We have a nice though tiny little self contained camper trailer with all the comforts of home available in it, and there is a fresh water tank for consumption or dishwashing (by hand so not EVERY convenience now that I think about it) the toilet is a tank that does flush into a chemically treated tank that is separate from all other water sources and then a grey water tank which is the dirty water from dishwashing, showers etc - non drinkable water.
Why could not household grey water be adapted by law somehow for the specific use for toilet flushing in all newly built homes?

It would be non wasteful and would save not only fresh water but save substantially on water bills. Just the water drained from washing machines would seem to me to be another excellent reuse. Between the water saved from the dishwasher/sink water and washing machine, or just from the showers alone would provide more water than could possibly be needed.
Ive also often thought that used shower or bath water could be very useful in lawn and flower bed watering although I presume not good for vegetable growing.

Regardless, the disposable box idea seems also reasonable unless the monthly bill would render the needy or even the lower middle class having to cut food expenses to pay for toilet expenses.

This is actually a very interesting conversation - not one I would have ever been able to foresee my enjoyment over!
;)

o

•Posted by jodik 5 (My Page) on Sat, Mar 29, 14 at 15:32

"Yes, I do... and I am guessing you don't know how long it takes a forest to grow..."

Depends on the forest.

o

Why would you think that given that I haven't made any oddly un-informed statements regarding forests? Indeed, as Elvis alludes to, it depends entirely on climate and soil factors. For example, well-adapted trees gain bulk at roughly twice the rate in central florida compared to southern new england, two places I have watched specific trees growing over periods of years. Perhaps I couldn't see the forest for the you-know-whats….

The thing about greywater is the stickiness from soaps and oils which together with other particles tend to gunk up pipes at any turns. So greywater taken from bathing and cleaning of clothes, kitchen sink, etc will eventually make a toilet-tank pretty nasty and also clog the trap. Hence the use of potable water to flush turds.

o

"Just wondering, why cant household "grey water" be used for flushing purposes?"

Yes, it can... and it's a very good use of water that's not potable. See link below...

And... there is no forest that can grow in one season and be harvested... unlike hemp, which can.

Here is a link that might be useful: Using grey water

o

"And... there is no forest that can grow in one season and be harvested... unlike hemp, which can."

Uses of hemp would be a good topic, Jodik. treehugger.com has 7 great uses for it.

o

rice hulls, grass clippings, leaves, peelings - pretty much any organic stuff can be used to cover poo....and I am with Jodi here - sawdust is not a good covering agent unless it is freshly milled stuff from logging or green woodwork - treated timber, on the other hand, is essentially wasteful and possibly toxic.
But then again, I am deeply immersed in the politics and practicalities of sh*t since we are not inclined to dig holes in the wood (pollute groundwater) but are definitely inclined to maintain the humus cycle of growing food, eating food, excreting food, using it to grow food again...........a poomobile has a certain neatness which appeals no end.

o

I looove the humor at the early stage of this thread; I laughed so hard!

But seriously, does anyone have a link to the facts about the "poomobile?"

o

Google is your friend. If you don't read links supplied by others, try handy key words/phrases such as car that runs on human waste for starters. You even get pictures that look remarkably like cars - as opposed to the flaming outhouse up thread.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 17:06

Hey now Duluth, don't knock my Turdbocharger, it lets me go and keeps me on the run!
I get 55 mpg, that's miles per gastro.....

o

No knock, vgkg - just wanted elvis to have a point of reference for comparison.

o

It's amazing what we can argue about, huh?

Having been covering poo with sawdust for about 15 years I can assure that the amounts required are negligible. Absolutely nothing compared to the amounts that are burned in big processing plants for heat and electricity.

o

•Posted by elvis 4 (My Page) on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:30
"I looove the humor at the early stage of this thread; I laughed so hard!
But seriously, does anyone have a link to the facts about the "poomobile?"

•Posted by duluthinbloomz4 zone 4a (My Page) on Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:53

"Google is your friend. If you don't read links supplied by others, try handy key words/phrases such as car that runs on human waste for starters. You even get pictures that look remarkably like cars - as opposed to the flaming outhouse up thread."

Guess I missed that informative link. Thanks to your kind advice, Duluth, I found a very good link, and am fully informed.

o

For all intents and purposes, I would not necessarily call the reading of one link to equal "fully informed". A wide and varied variety of vetting will complete the process, however.

I agree, Campanula... as someone who composts practically everything of waste, we know that sawdust is not that quickly renewable, as in forest growth... so, to me, it makes more sense to grow an annual crop of hemp which can be harvested and utilized in many ways.

All we need now is legalization.

o

We would use sawdust from using the chainsaw. but prefer something less inert than dried and seasoned lumbar. I assume that you use mainly fresh sawn stuff, as something of a craftsman, hey Phil? I would always avoid tanalised timber. Best of all (for us, given the dairy farm next door) is copious amounts of free straw.

Jodi, we are growing Pawlonia as an experimental bio-mass tree (along with poplar and willow).

o

A quicker turnover for those types of trees, to be sure... but I don't know about the hardness, or how it burns as firewood.

I do know that the average lifespan for scrub willow and poplar is somewhere around 15-20 years... give or take.

o

Ours (hybrid poplars) are actually coming up for 50 years.....so a programme of felling will be done sooner rather than later. I think poplars can have a 15 year harvest cycle, but much less if grown for pulp....but actually, it makes a surprisingly useful, straight-grained timber.....we are about to buy a chainsaw jig (Alaskan mill) to do both horizontal and vertical planking, then we are really in business to get some structures in place

o

Sawdust from green wood is indeed best, but dust from any wood that is not highly rot-resistant works just fine. Obviously for me, a woodworker, to use sawdust is sensible. Additionally, I generally make enough dust for another hundred people or so to sop their poo. That is merely one little shop, hence my assertion that there is plenty of sawdust for poo-sopping generally.

If not, then live rich soil works well also, better than any kind of stringy hay or straw like material as far as absorbing liquid and keeping down odor.

o

straw is good - hay - not so much- less air spaces.

o

Love paulonia, but they are seriously invasive, and seeds way down wind or bird [20 mi] . It is a highly desired wood by some people and may be rustled.
Any way to go after giant reeds? or salt cedar? That one may be toxic in the house, but, in a back house[outhouse], large scale invasives, hmm.
Why the reluctance to link to what will explain a new concept on a post. Is it some new computer thingy? Just seems odd.

o

No comprendo.

o

You can buy compressed sawdust pellets at any feed store;
they're sold to absorb urine in horse stalls.

Many people use them for kitty litter (better than clay).

Horse owners can put the used material directly into a compost pile, & cat owners can scoop out the poo & put the used sawdust into the compost pile.

o

Yeah... we find sawdust and cob to be way less absorbent than good old fashioned straw, oat or wheat. And straw has ease of removal from stalls to back it up. This goes for horses and other livestock.

Straw is for bedding... hay is for feeding. Though, it's not uncommon for livestock to munch on straw as well as their regular feed.

It's all easily composted and used on fields.

I'm much more accepting of products that can be renewed in a short amount of time... and cutting down old growth forests doesn't seem to fit that.

Campanula, that's awesome... I'm all for building one's own structures, if possible... and utilizing what's close by and readily accessible. As a plus, any unused planks can be sold for income. Much luck to you guys! :-)

o

That stuff that is sold as "sawdust" for horse bedding is planer chips. Sawdust comes only from a cross-cut saw of some kind, and a sharp one. Planers and rip blades make shreds of various sizes, which aren't as absorbent of course since there is much less surface area per volume.

Dust from sanders is finest of all, and the most deadly to breathe.

o

right, bedding is usually the product that looks a little like pieces of potato chips.

The material that I get is pellets, & when it comes into contact with moisture, it disintegrates into sawdust.

I've had coughs from stuff that a person would think that another person would have sense enough not to breathe (got that?).

so, in the interest of passing along my hard-won knowledge, here are some things you don't want to breathe:

sawdust or sander dust
concrete dust
coal dust

& if you're sanding or planing 6 layers of paint from a door in a 98-year-old house, remember that some of that stuff is bound to be lead-based paint.

o

Dust is bad, you got that. I'm right now spending thousands on a proper dust-collection system.

o

No offense, but I would imagine that's why dust masks and other breathing/filter equipment is sold alongside most construction equipment... because breathing anything other than oxygen/air is not good for the lungs.

For puppy bedding, we've used a myriad of absorbent items, including shredded paper from banks, newspapers, etc... but we find Aspen bedding to be the most absorbent and dust free.

Key would be not having constant puppy litters that require bedding at a certain stage of life.

o

I don't know why mentioning dust masks would be offensive. Using them is common sense.

o

Well, that's what I was getting at, but... I don't want to offend anyone who didn't think to use them, or forgot or something...

o

The penalty is offense to the lungs, which I have suffered to a larger extent than was wise. The carelessness of youth…

o

Yeah... we pay for our misguided youth in a big way later... that's for sure! ;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here