Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will they find the missing Malaysian flight?

Posted by dublinbay z6 KS (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 7:36

CNN has been giving the search for the missing plane nearly 24 hour a day coverage, but I have seen almost no discussion of the tragedy and search on this forum.

Will they ever find the missing flight? Has the Malaysian govt. screwed up the search or been neglectful or inadequate, as some accuse? Should the U.S. have been allowed in to run the search (or play a much larger role) with its superior equipment and abilities? Was it politics that kept the U.S. out? Malaysia keeping face rather than worrying more about the possible victims and families? With all the spy equipment littering the planet and frightening the paranoid who are sure their every movement is being recorded by some govt somewhere, how come none of it has a record of the missing plane? It is like the plane went poof! and disappeared in thin air!

Are two scraps of debris out in the most remote oceanic area on the entire globe enough of a "clue"--assuming anyone can even locate them?

It is all so appalling.

What do you think?

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Search planes fail to find Malaysia jet debris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will they find the missing Malaysian flight?

It could be a modern Amelia Earhart disaster, we may never know...

o

The Malayasian flight was not the responsibility of the U.S. and most passengers were from China. This place is a long way around the globe and down under. Having said that we have offered up any assistance we can from our intelligence capabilities (assessing the hard drive on the pilot's flight simulator) to our advanced satellites and surveillance planes.

One can be critical of those like some guests I saw on Hannity at Fox News who immediately assigned nefarious motives to the crew because they were Muslims. That was irresponsible but what news at Fox?

If this plane headed South until it ran out of fuel that certainly leads one to believe that the crew was somehow incapacitated, intentionally by someone or through some catastrophic failure such as a fire on board. Now we hear about some lithium batteries that were being transported in the cargo hold and that may have caused a fire. More to speculate about.

Here is a link that might be useful: battery fire scenario

o

According to what I've read, there has been some debris found somewhere off the coast of an island around the Aussie area, but weather has kept authorities from checking it out closely to determine if it is from the missing plane.

I still find it hard to believe that a whole plane filled with passengers and modern technological navigation equipment can simply go missing.

o

I suspect that there is a real incentive to find it and that would be to rule out terrorism, but does Malaysia have that same incentive as perhaps the U.S., does Australia have the same incentive, would China prefer to stay out of it?

We may never know and the mystery will remain. But then you have the 1972 Andes Flight disaster where the search was called off after 8 days and people were still alive. When do you call off a search? I would never want to be in a position of making that decision.

o

I wouldn't want to be in that position, either, Blfenton. But 8 days just doesn't seem long enough...

So, I guess we're waiting to learn if the debris is, indeed, from that plane?

o

According to the Guardian, no debris has been found in the latest sweep. In such a desolate, almost inaccessible part of the globe, it'll probably take a miracle - if that is even where the plane might have gone in.

It doesn't seem there is any calling off of any searching though. My wonder is if a plane, any plane, can stay largely intact given certain circumstances in a water landing - that would reduce debris.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Guardian latest

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 15:53

Probably not.

Malaysia is apparently more concerned with saving face than in actually finding the plane, their back-peddling, "corrections", dismissive attitude and lies, etc are certainly not helping.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 23:34

Thank goodness Faux News has linked this tragedy to Benghazi.

o

Faux News station in the UK says it'll be found - after all it took 2000 years to find Noah's Ark. Just hang on.

The caliber of Fox "experts" leaves quite a bit to be desired no matter where they're broadcasting from.

Rachel Maddow announced her show will carry no further news segments on this until there actually is NEWS. This stance certainly won't remove it from public thought, but the expansion of an extremely limited palette of knowledge into hours of speculation and interviews with anyone who has ever even seen a plane is not a service. YMMV

o

The Australian Prime Minister is in trouble for giving away the fact that debris had been found off the coast of perth (1500 miles or so) because somehow that gave away that the USA has surveilance equipment in Australia...which is how it was located so , never fear the USA has already played a part in the location....but they cant actually find it , so it seems.

o

I will admit that I have not followed this news story because in stories like this one, what I think of as the "white noise chatter" goes on with talking heads blathering on and on to fill up air time- it all really gets to me.

I also became upset when, while channel surfing, I heard that pilot suicide was being seriously considered as cause for the plane to go down.

What?
When all else fails, without having any reasonable circumstantial evidence, publicly blame the pilot so the books on the case can be wrapped up tidily?
What does that kind of casual speculation do to his children, wife, parents, friends for the whole rest of their lives- to know that the world decided that their loved one wanted to die and take a huge plane full of people (including children ) with them?
Imo its unforgivable to put such an idea out there - downright evil imo, if there isnt what professionals would consider to be realistic proof of such a thing having happened.

The longer time passes without any news, I fear the worse kind of air filling chatter will take place. The family and friends of all those on that plane should have professionals assigned to each of them until this is somehow resolved, IF it ever can be. As soon as the time comes when those who know about these things come to the part where there is nothing at all left to do, they need to help the loved ones accept that they will probably never know what or why this happened, and then make sure that the loved ones have free, excellent mental health care available to them for as long as they need it.

I wish all news programs would stop with the white noise of on-air time filling chatter on this and all future tragic events, until REAL information which has been professionally verified is available.

o

because somehow that gave away that the USA has surveilance equipment in Australia

Australia has had CIA at the Pine Gap satellite tracking station since the 1970s.

o

It looked to me, from the US, that a good deal of time was lost at the very beginning when they might actually have been able to find something in time to help any possible survivors--for reasons of political correctness, national pride, or who knows what else? Politeness toward a shipper of lithium batteries?

:o(

More may have been going on at the beginning than we know, though, and I suppose it does take time to dig data out of satellite records....

Now reportedly the Chinese have seen a large object about 100 ft. by 74 ft, if I heard it correctly.

o

I was totally sucked in at the beginning because in all honestly, I thought we had the technology for better tracking and thought there was so much more to it than what I think really happened. I feel horrible for the pilots family and what this passionate person (for his career) has to be subjected to in his, most likely, passing. Like you Mylab, it has turned into white noise for me too and I can't watch anymore. I just hope they locate the plane sooner than later for the families sake.

o

We only know what the media reports and quite frankly all they are doing is speculating and rumor mongering.

I feel so sorry for the crew's family . To be subjugated to this type of useless gossip must be so hurtful to them.

o

Yes, all sorts of speculations and theories!

However, the latest I heard this morning makes the most sense to me. The speculation was that those lithium batteries somehow caught on fire and smoke quickly filled the cabin, rendering the pilots unconscious and therefore unable to control the plane. The plane continued on automatically, heading straight out into the seemingly limitless ocean a thousand miles or more west of Australia, where it finally ran out of fuel and crashed.

I don't mean to spread rumors, but that version accounts best for the numerous details and odd "behavior" of the plane, as has already been reported.

But the truth may be very different. Time will tell--hopefully.

Kate

This post was edited by dublinbay on Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 12:31

o

Will they? Will we care by the time they do/don't? What a terrible thing for me to say, but this constant yammering and NON-BREAKING 'news' media feeding frenzy dehumanizes a person.

o

This plane will find us sooner than we find it.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 9:21

If in fact the plane went down in the southern ocean, which seems to be likely (at this time), you have to remember it is NOT on land ... which means the waves will constantly move it around.

This is not some little pond that they are searching.

o

This plane will find us sooner than we find it.

I feel sorry for the families. Soon the searchers will locate the debris field on the surface and then after that, the wreckage and the flight data recorder. This might happen soon and I expect that it will given our advanced submersibles.

Some people including those at Fox News, may need to apologize to the families of the crew if it is determined that the crash was due to mechanical failure and not as a result of terrorism. I think we will soon find out one way or another.

o

Who reprogrammed the flight path? What US official made that statement?

Why did it all of a sudden show up on radar near Australia? I thought it was off radar soon after the turn around.

No pings? Has anyone "handled" the debris yet?

Why was Vietnam and Malaysia searching in Pakistan and Afghanistan? Were they kept in the dark about other radar sightings?

o

We only know what the media has told us which means we don't know squat.

o

Who reprogrammed the flight path?

It is believed that the pilots did that, but the reason that they did is unclear. No one should assume that is terrorism at this point. If there was a serious mechanical proble, of course they would try to return to the airport.

What US official made that statement?
The US government was not the source for the investigative information. This incident happened to a foreign airliner on the other side of the globe.

Why did it all of a sudden show up on radar near Australia?
I thought it was off radar soon after the turn around.

Radar is based on land so much of the Indian ocean is not covered by radar.

Why was Vietnam and Malaysia searching in Pakistan and Afghanistan?

Initially, Immarsat did not run their full analysis on the pings that they received. That is why a Northerly flight path was not ruled out. Eventually they compared them to pings from other flights around that time and were able to make predictions about the likely flight path. You can read up on how they did this at the link below.

There was never a shred of evidence of foul play.
We will have to wait to until the data from the flight data recorder is analyzed before we will know what the heck happened to this flight.

Here is a link that might be useful: how Inmarsat homed in on missing Malaysia Airlines' plane

o

What is it with some that they must see an evil conspiracy in everything?

We have no idea and the media has no idea.....but the science, math and technology will give us the answers all in due course

Patience is a virtue.

This post was edited by chase on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 20:43

o

Of all these images of possible jet pieces, not one has not been confirmed yet. Very odd.

Still believe the pilot suicide theory at this point.

There is a shred of evidence of foul play - the communications were shut down and the jet turned 180 degrees and flew for hours. I'd call it a shred, at least, heri. (Of course, if you don't agree pilot suicide is foul play, then you're right.)

o

Chase,

Maybe. Unless governments do something they have never done before in history; a coverup.

o

At this point, I'm fine with calling off the search. What's the point? If they are in the ocean, they are dead. Let Malaysia search underwater for their aircraft.

I think there is more government interest in discovering foul play than a mechanical failure. Then we can continue the war on terror.

This post was edited by brushworks on Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 9:48

o

Brush, as the saying goes "just because you're paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you"

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 28, 14 at 17:30

Well, maybe the silver lining in all of this will bring focus on all of the krap floating around in the worlds oceans..................nah.

o

That crap has been there (according to oceanographers) for over 20 years. We're just now seeing it because they suspect an aircraft may appear.

o

I hadn't heard about the lithium battery theory. That one sounds possible too. A fire has shut down all communications before. So the article said.

This post was edited by october17 on Tue, Apr 1, 14 at 19:36

o

China's largest rescue ship may have detected a ping from one of the planes black boxes.
This ship does have advanced sonar capability (see link below)
and underwater detection technology, so I have not discounted this report, even though China has jumped the gun on prior reports that were discredited.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinese ship has advanced underwater search tech.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here