Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should Kevin Trudeau go to jail for 10 years

Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 7:47

He seems so typically American. People spend less time in jail for murder.

Best-selling American author Kevin Trudeau, whose name became synonymous with late-night TV pitches, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for swindling consumers through infomercials for his book about weight loss.

As he imposed the sentence prosecutors had requested, district judge Ronald Guzman portrayed 50-year-old Trudeau as a habitual fraudster from early adulthood. So brazen was Trudeau, the judge said, he once even used his own mother's social security number during a scam.

I'm not sure why him and not those televangelists who scam gullible people week after week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should Kevin Trudeau go to jail for 10 years

Kevin can't get away with, "I'm sorry". But if he was too big to fail.....

Negligence at GM has caused the death of 12 drivers. Nobody will be going to jail. Just an apology and maybe a few out of court settlements, but none of the responsible parties at GM will serve jail time.

Engineers at General Motors found a way to stop ignition switches from shutting off nine years ago, but made a “business decision” not to order the partial fix to a problem that has now been linked to a dozen deaths, NBC News has learned.

Certain GM cars are vulnerable to shutting off when their keys are bumped by drivers or stressed by heavy keychains, a problem the automaker cited in recalling 1.6 million vehicles last month. Two GM executives confirmed during a lawsuit filed by the parents of a Georgia woman killed in the crash of her Chevrolet Cobalt that the company had found a partial fix for the problem in 2005 -�" a measure that a witness for the plaintiffs estimated would have cost as little as $1 per car.

A high-level GM executive told NBC News the company was “deeply troubled with some decisions that were made in the past and is hoping to move forward."

o

I suppose if you look at each airing of one of his commercials after he was barred from doing such.
32,000 counts 10 years.....not bad.
I wouldn't mind seeing the courts take on Peter Popoff & his miracle spring water then again he only show testimonials of money appearing in peoples mail boxes and makes no guarantees it can happen to you.

o

Brushworks, do you remember the Toyotas that suddenly sped up? There was one and the rest were copycats. But the CEO of Toyota was brought before an inquisition of stockholders of GM stock. Those stockholders? The US Government.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 10:35

But how about Trudeau? Free pass because other people did wrong too?

I'd say at least 10 years, Momj. He hurt a lot of people. Since he's only 51 now, maybe 25 or 30 would more appropriate for the protection of society.

From CNN: "Trudeau, 51, was sentenced to 10 years on Monday for criminal contempt for violating a 2004 federal court order that prohibited him from making misleading infomercials and misrepresenting his weight-loss books. During Monday's sentencing hearing he also got a tongue-lashing from U.S. District Judge Ronald Guzman, according to the U.S. attorney's office in Chicago.
"Since the age of 25, (Trudeau) has attempted to cheat others for his own personal gain," Guzman said in Monday's sentencing hearing.
In a sentencing memo, prosecutors called Trudeau an "unrepentant, untiring, and uncontrollable huckster who has defrauded the unsuspecting for 30 years."

o

No free pass, but shouldn't the punishment fit the crime? And why should our society fill up space in prisons with non-violent offenders? It's terribly costly to house and feed and care for all these people.

Why wouldn't it be better to sentence him to years of community service, plus probation with an ankle tracker? Make him give back to the society that he took from.

o

Jodik makes a good point. Put him to good use.

Instead, we jail him, and won't even prosecute those responsible for the deaths of 12 drivers of GM cars.

Our priorities are bassackwards.

o

I thought the sentence was excessive.

My understanding is the books sold that did not contain the information as he advertised, but the result was that the fraud did not seriously financially damage any one person that purchased the books as they were not expensive books.

It's not like he defrauded people of their life savings in an investment scam or swindle.

I imagine the brazenness of violating previous court orders is the reason for his hefty sentence.

I do remember seeing his infomercials for many years but never listened more than a minute or so before deciding he was just saying words and not saying anything of substance and switching the channel.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:52

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 12:58

Yes, two aspects to this that may be present are representatives of the government getting mad because he was perceived to be thumbing his nose at its authority and the automakers being left alone because they are running a big corporation whereas Trudeau is an individual crook whose only other main co-conspirator is his wife.

There's a filmed profile that has been shown on TV that has the Trudeaus living well but in self-imposed exile overseas, during which he appears cocky and full of it.

The two contrasting episodes (Trudeau's sentencing vs. the auto executives not being called to the carpet) could be another little example of Ralph Nader's assertion that the two main problems for Americans today are overbearing governance and omnipotent corporations.

o

How about one step at a time? Letting this guy off with a slap would be just one more. I have always thought it was the white collar criminals who ought to be filling our prisons. They belong with the serious criminals like violent offenders and bankers, and yes the company executives who make decisions that they know will kill people. Probably one of the few people with criminal tendencies who might be deterred from a life of crime might be the white collar people if they knew they would go to real prison with the rest of their kind.

o

Trudeau is a predator, not unlike all the other slick hucksters and grifters that proliferate. Plunk down your cash and buy his book to learn the secrets they won't tell you... the easy technique weight loss plan turns out to be “prescription injections of a hormone found only in pregnant women, a month of colon hydrotherapy and a 500-calorie-per-day diet regimen.”

I think jail is a good place for him to be. Like Madoff who found it so easy to just sit back while people who should have known better begged to be victimized.

Here is a link that might be useful: Coral calcium cures cancer

o

I have two of his books!

They are inexpensive paperbounds, and I bought them thinking he might be another Adelle Davis type.

They are chockablockfull of all sorts of garbled information and seem to indicate a sincere desire to at least give the buyer their moneysworth--go on for hundreds and hundreds of small-print pages.

I'll bet he has a moodswing disorder.

I can't help wondering if he started making things a bit too hot for the FDA. I also can't help wondering if this is partly a political imprisonment like Martha Stewart's. Our Constitution is supposed to protect us from uneven application of the law.

I would much rather see a few bankers incarcerated than this rather entertaining and irrepressible fellow. Maybe he deserves a few more years of jail time (during which he would probably come up with another scheme), but imo ten years is excessive.

For anyone that wants to see him in action, there is a video on the internet...

:o)

He was in prison for two years previously, for much the same things...

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

http://www.salon.com/2005/07/29/trudeau_4/

".....he was fined $500,000 in consumer redress and warned against making false product claims in the future. But this didn’t deter him. In 2003, the FTC charged Trudeau once more, this time citing another product, Coral Calcium Supreme. The FTC argued that claims made in Trudeau’s infomercial by Dr. Robert “Bob” Barefoot that calcium derived from coral reefs near Okinawa, Japan, could treat or cure cancer and other ills " such as multiple sclerosis and heart disease " went far beyond existing scientific evidence concerning the health benefits of calcium. Trudeau settled that case as well. But this time, in addition to being fined $2 million, he was also banned from “appearing in, producing, or disseminating future infomercials that advertise any type of product, service, or program to the public” forever.

Afterward, Trudeau loudly complained that the FTC was censoring him and started a Web site called The Whistleblower, on which he tries to fashion himself as a new Ralph Nader " a selfless consumer advocate opposing powerful institutions and defending regular folk. But Trudeau’s claims of persecution and martyrdom are hard to swallow for many. “He wasn’t censored " that’s just total fantasy,” says Dr. Stephen Barrett, a health-fraud expert who runs a network of watchdog Web sites, including Quackwatch. “What’s happened is that he’s just not allowed to sell products with false claims. That’s the only censorship going on.”

.... He isn’t any more impressed by Trudeau’s current infomercial for the bestselling “Natural Cures ‘They’ Don’t Want You to Know About.”

His prose style mimics the gibberish favored by online spam advertisements, and he frequently uses SCREAM CAPS to emphasize OBVIOUS POINTS. At one point, Trudeau implies that he was an undercover government agent and that, because of his inside knowledge, the government and powerful corporations are out to get him " though he doesn’t share what any of his highly prized knowledge is. And always lurking somewhere is the nefarious “They” of the book’s title " the FDA and the FTC, who are in cahoots with the drug companies, which hold back the real natural cures because they won’t make any money if you’re healthy.

On every page, he stokes the paranoia and anger generated by recent high-profile corporate and government scandals, as well as the ire against the health insurance and pharmaceutical industries. But don’t worry, not only will his book save you, but you can also go to his Web site, NaturalCures.com, for more information and for the “real cures,” all for a lifetime membership of $499 or a monthly fee of just $9.95. In essence, the infomercial sells the book, which sells the Web site "which nets Trudeau tons of money.

".... Heather Hippsley, assistant director for the division of advertising practices at the FTC, who supervised the commission’s case against Trudeau, explains: “Books are fully protected speech. He can author a book and voice his opinions … The line is: Informational materials, OK. Products and services, banned.”

Peer-review systems " like the one in place on Amazon.com " do their best work in warning potential buyers of bad or faulty products. On the Amazon site, over 500 people have weighed in on “Natural Cures” so far. Yet, although reviews have been almost overwhelmingly negative " in Amazon’s “star rating” scheme, the book is averaging a two " sales haven’t slowed. ...

As for the television broadcasters’ responsibilities in this issue, they’ve turned a blind eye to Trudeau and his type. “[The Federal Communications Commission] has never been inclined to take anyone’s licenses away because the industry they nominally regulate actually regulates them,” says Todd Gitlin, a professor of journalism and sociology at Columbia University. “The industry is too powerful to contend with, and regulation is largely farcical, except when there’s political teeth biting, as in the case of Janet Jackson.” "

Bottom line, I find him irrepressibly entertaining and feel his incarceration will be a great loss. After all, who in their right mind would injest calcium from coral living off the banks of an area that had been irradiated by one of the first nuclear bombs in WWII anyway?

Here is a link that might be useful: You Tube

o

But the CEO of Toyota was brought before an inquisition of stockholders of GM stock [government].

Following that world-wide spectacle, its been amazing how many voluntary recall notices from Toyota I've been getting. Mirror motor, window button, etc.

They don't want to go through that again.

o

Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 17:28

I don't understand the either-or argument. Let's put criminals in jail with sentences proportionate to the harm they did and the need to protect society. We shouldn't let some guy off because he's white and didn't use a gun while perpetrating a while collar crime.

Note that a powerful executives with JP Morgan did far more harm to people in this country and others than any bank robber, even a violent one who killed someone. JPM paid $2.6 billion in just legal settlements for the Madoff case ALONE, not that that made that set of victims whole. How many people have committed suicide after being ruined in various JPM pursuits of illicit profits?

o

Although I said I thought the sentence was a little harsh, there is a reason the judicial system places so many matters at the judge's discretion.

We aren't privy to all of the information and circumstances of any case.

o

If medical care hadn't been so inaccessible for so long to so many in this country, there would have been little need for someone like Trudeau to fill the gap.

Additionally, hyper-positive people like him provide a public service, sort of, by giving people who are feeling rather hopeless a bit of hope. Although most of their efforts are devoted to self enrichment, there is at least a glimmer of desire to educate, etc, even if they themselves lack certain fundamentals in the fields they espouse.

IMO they are relatively harmless in a society that provides reasonable access to medical care for all, which ours now seems to do (unless the Republicans repeal Obamacare), so I don't see why this particular, extraordinary lengthy, incarceration is necessary--particularly where Trudeau probably needed to make additional funds to pay the fines for his past transgressions.

As with Martha Stewart, imo this is an unconstitutional, politicized punishment to make an example on the cheap with a person that has been trying to fulfill the American Dream for himself by pulling himself up by his bootstraps--unlike the big bankers who have bilked approximately one-third to one-half of the net worth of most of us in countless socially useless ways. Additionally, imo the fellow has a mitigating mood swing disorder, which should be obvious to almost anyone with sufficient training.

IMO, if anyone has been medically harmed by Trudeau's teachings, the blame should be squarely placed at the feet of the reactionary Republicans who even now work daily to repeal our new national health insurance plan, and who worked for years to keep it from being passed in the first place--succeeding in blocking progress even under Clinton despite Hillary's best efforts.

If anyone in this country should be jailed for causing medical harm to others, it is that recalcitrant Republican crowd, not a hyperactive, overly enthusiastic huckster with a probable mood swing disorder.

o

Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 6:48

I'm afraid I have a very different view of Trudeau than you do Eibren. More like the judge's, in fact.

Even when universal healthcare is available, some people will always be governed by suspicion, over reason, of established ideas and look for other answers in wrong places, and the Trudeaus will always be happy to sell them whatever they want to hear.

Regarding Martha, the good old boys network sat safe while outsider Martha was dished up to satisfy our need to feel someone was being held accountable. At the time it made me think of a shoplifter of a candy bar being led off in handcuffs while thieves were busy cleaning the place out. I'm no particular fan of hers, but she's an extremely accomplished and hard working woman, and to compare her to this slimy predator strikes me as...extremely inappropriate.

"causing medical harm to others, it is that recalcitrant Republican crowd," We're on the same page here for sure, though. If not jail, I'd love to see some of the worst held accountable for their lies by opening them to lawsuits by victims who believed them.

This post was edited by rosie on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 6:53

o

eibren""""""""" Republicans who even now work daily to repeal our new national health insurance plan, and who worked for years to keep it from being passed in the first place--succeeding in blocking progress even under Clinton despite Hillary's best efforts."

And where is epi with the accusation that "Seems that some have to try to politicize (and antagonize) every thread" To try to put the blame for this con artist's crime on the republicans is a far, far reach. I do believe politics are involved in the serving of justice in many cases, but to say that this guy suffered from mental problems and couldn't get help due to the republicans being against obama's health care plan is ridiculous. IF he had a problem, this is a man who had money and could afford insurance and doctor fees.

eibren"""""""""If anyone in this country should be jailed for causing medical harm to others, it is that recalcitrant Republican crowd, not a hyperactive, overly enthusiastic huckster with a probable mood swing disorder"

Making diagnoses without ever meeting the patient eibren? A diagnosis should be done only after an evaluation of said parent be a qualified professional.

Jodik""""""""""" Why wouldn't it be better to sentence him to years of community service, plus probation with an ankle tracker? Make him give back to the society that he took from."

Jodik in some cases that may made a difference, but this guy had already served 2 years for basically the same offense. Sounds like his past is what got him 10 years this time.

o

Rosie,

JPMorgan has a golfing buddy in the White House. None of the executives will suffer consequences for the harm done to others. Instead, they received pay raises.

o

He's a con man with a very long history. He belongs in prison for as long as they can keep him there.

o

I agree with nik. I think he should be the first of many-the real serious criminals in our country. We have been locking up the wrong people if you ask me. Since we have a prison industry that needs to be filled I think hard time for those who con the sick, elderly, indigent, and ignorant ought to take up the slack.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 0:12

Cool it with the "Clap 'em in irons!" - we already lead the western World in incarceration, including 85,000 souls in solitary confinement.

Land of the Free:

Snort!

o

Poor Trudeau.

:o(

Well, I did my best.

o

Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 8:32

For whom, though, Eibren? This "Things THEY Don't Want You to Know" huckster spent decades persuading vulnerable people to refuse to take their medicines and refuse medical treatment, as well as to pursue a long list of genuinely dangerously unhealthy behaviors. How many suffered permanent declines in health and even died as a result of following his advice? He is a recidivist felon who ignored court orders to cease various behaviors, and we should have put him in prison a long ago, and then again and again as he continued to prey on society.

“Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public.”
― Cornel West

“The Pledge of Allegiance says 'liberty and justice for all'. Which part of 'all' don't you understand?”
― Pat Schroeder

o

Kevin had a lot of willing buyers it seems. I can't believe that so many people bought into his snake oil. Maybe we should imprison stupid people - for their own good, of course.

On the other hand, he is a smarmy jerk. That alone is worth some sort of punishment. Hit him where it really hurts - directly in the wallet.

o

They had previously fined him heavily.

IMO they should just have required him to put a warning label on all his recommendations, like they do on cigarettes.

I don't think people like him can help themselves, and he may even have been sincere-- I would have to know more about his education, etc. But I have had clients with severe mood swing disorders, and his manic pursuit of his idea dissemination and profits looks just like the way they acted.

It just shows that if you rile the wrong crowd, watch out. Apparently somde thought Martha Stewart was getting too big for her britches as well.

IMO its just unequal protection under the law. The truly big boys get away with ripping all of us off, and people like this get the book thrown at them.

Anyone who could afford to purchase his materials should have had enough intelligence to realize he was a bit iffy; additionally, some of the procedures (such as cancer detection) that he might have prevented people from following are shifting and changing while we discuss this.

With Google readily available, any of Trudeau's "victims" could easily have looked him up and acted accordingly.In any case, I found someone who agrees with my point of view--back in 2007, even befor the "recession". Mike Adams had a long article in Natural News in 2007 regaring the differential treatment of Trudeau:

"FTC sues Kevin Trudeau over weight loss claims while ignoring Big Pharma monopoly pricing
But the real story is not whether Trudeau is wrong or right about weight loss, it's about the selective enforcement of weight loss claims by the FTC. Trudeau is a favorite target of the FTC, and he's been sued before over health claims for his coral calcium products. The FTC even forced him into a settlement where he could no longer sell nutritional products. That's what eventually led Trudeau to write his Natural Cures books, which are now probably the most commercially successful books ever sold via infomercials.
Kevin Trudeau, author of the super popular "Natural Cures" books, has once again been sued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). This time, it's not about coral calcium and cancer; it's about weight loss claims made in the marketing of his book, "The Weight Loss Cure 'They' Don't Want You to Know About.".....
A favorite FTC target
But the real story is not whether Trudeau is wrong or right about weight loss, it's about the selective enforcement of weight loss claims by the FTC. Trudeau is a favorite target of the FTC, and he's been sued before over health claims for his coral calcium products. The FTC even forced him into a settlement where he could no longer sell nutritional products. That's what eventually led Trudeau to write his Natural Cures books, which are now probably the most commercially successful books ever sold via infomercials.
The FTC, it seems, wants to keep targeting Trudeau regardless of what he sells. And while Trudeau's weight loss claims may or may not hold water (I haven't seen the infomercial myself, so I don't know what other statements he may have made), I'm far more interested in the fact that the FTC seems to be uninterested in stopping many other weight loss scams. ....
For example, what's up with the Slim Fast products at the grocery store? products off the shelves?....
And how about those Weight Watchers products? I'm actually doing a photo series on some Weight Watchers desserts to show how incredibly unhealthful they are. ....Where is the FTC when it comes to protecting consumers from these popular (but in my opinion deceptive) weight loss products?

"Even worse, take a look at pharmaceutical advertisements that run on television these days. ....
Why won't the FTC investigate these blatant exaggerations found in direct-to-consumer drug advertisements?....
Will no one investigate the pharmaceutical pricing monopoly?....
Here's another big question: Isn't the FTC supposed to protect consumers by investigating and breaking up corporate monopolies? ....
Americans currently pay monopoly prices for pharmaceuticals, and the FDA even goes out of its way to protect this drug racket, working to block competing imports from Canada and other countries, even going so far as to imply that people who bring drugs into the U.S. from other countries are criminals. If the FTC believes in fair trade and protecting consumers from monopolistic, predatory pricing practices by greedy U.S. corporations, why isn't the FTC taking a good, hard look at the downright fraudulent pricing practices and monopolistic marketing tactics of drug companies? .... ....
Technically, Big Pharma executives should be brought up under RICO Act criminal charges for racketeering, but that assumes there is actually a system of justice that works in this country, and there isn't.
So instead of going after the real criminals who are literally killing over 100,000 Americans each year with dangerous prescription drugs (while bankrupting families, corporations, cities and states with monopolistic pricing schemes), the FTC has chosen to target author Kevin Trudeau over his claims in a weight loss book."

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural News

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here