Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
YES! I do...

Posted by ronalawn82 z9FL (ronalawn08@gmail.com) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 8:31

...expect the Justices of the Supreme Court to read all 2700 pages of a Bill...and the references...and the citations.
It has to be a daunting prospect; as daunting as "Chemistry For Schools" was to me at age 15. But I did it, answering all the questions at the end of each chapter; motivated to pass an exam.
It has not got easier, for me and for most people, I imagine.
Why should the learned Justices expect a pass?
And here is H W Longfellow on the subject.
"The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they while their companions slept, were toiling upward in the night."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: YES! I do...

I wonder how many of the folks that voted in favor of this law read it all.

o

Probably not the folks that voted against it. They didn't care what was in it - Obama just needed to be defeated. Why bother to read it if you're just going to vote no?

o

esh: Why bother to read it if you're just going to vote no?"

...or yes.

Maybe it was a lot (or a little) of both.

Good morning, all~~

o

I do expect more from the folks that are actively supporting it.

o

Confusion here in the frozen tundra (must be all that snow we got). So esh, you expect more (than what?) from the folks who are actively supporting it (what?).

Please clarify :)

o
!RE: YES! I do...

I expect the folks that are voting for it to have read it.

o

Certainly they are expected to read the law. Its their job, and they are well paid. They can take their time and look up the big words on the internet.

They each have a staff of four clerks who, one would hope, are able to read as well.

Same thing for congress. Even if they have to spend their time hob-nobbing with lobbyists raising money, we hire them to pass laws, they have staff as well.

o

Yes I expect them each to read it after all you are making a decision on the Bill. I am amazed at the cavalier attitude of such an important decision that they are charged with and yet they feel they have the option of not reading and understanding all the facts before the decision is made.

It is incredible what has happened to this Court. It may be time for a uprising and change to this court process including a lifetime appointment.

o
RE: Read that puppy

Thanks, esh. Got it; me too.

o

The justices are supposed to be voting on it today.

o

So the justices vote on it today and then take 2 months to write up/research the points to support their vote. I guess I would have thought they would do the research first and then vote.

o

The vote today is not binding in any way. The vote is their thoughts in regards to what they know up until this point. After this, the reading and research begins. Minds can be changed. A final vote will not come until June.

o

I hear ya. I thought it was pretty disgusting that Scalia whined about having to read the bill... he compared reading the bill to a violation of the eighth amendment (which forbids cruel and unusual punishment)...what a tool. And how much are the taxpayers paying this guy?

As Elvis noted ... why bother reading it, if you are going to vote against it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here