Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Continuing Battle

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 8:32

As a member of a community garden we have sought for years to have our parcel of land made part of the Parks Department,, to no avail. It was always assumed that the behemoth in the neighborhood NYU objected to a group of green strips, a playground & a dog run being removed from the transportation authorities control.
The ever continuing expansion of NYU into the surrounding neighborhood reached a critical point when the city Council gave the go ahead for a massive expansion over the local communities wishes.
Now former Parks Commissioner under Ed Koch & Rudy Giuliani has stepped in & come to our aid. It's interesting reading the WSJ version as opposed to the Villager version of the story.

The strip of land comes from a time when the city tore down the houses along it in anticipation pof the thwarted lower Manhattan Expressway that would have decimated a good portion of Chinatown Soho & Little Italy and brought even more cars into this congested city.
The current Mayor has done the opposite & narrowed Broadway put in bus & bike lanes to discourage people from bringing cars into town

Here is a link that might be useful: it breaks a Village

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Continuing Battle

A contemporary David and Goliath...

o

The Goliath has continued to get around zoning restrictions building huge dormitories in residential blocks that dwarf the surrounding structures. Other districts have said they would be amenable to the gargantua to build in their neighborhoods. The village is also home to Cooper Union, The New School, Pratt, Yeshiva's Cardozzo School of Law, the school of Visual Arts a few of whom have also expanded in the last couple of years. Each effort to have our green strips to be assigned to the parks department has been thwarted. They provide signage pruning for the trees. They assigned another Community Garden near by to Parks status with no problem. Nearly every Dept within NYU has opposed this expansion. Looks like a park used as a park for years some how not a park! Very nasty business

o

I so value living where I do... having the beauty and bounty of nature all around me. I hope there is some way to save those community parks and gardens from the hands of greed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here