Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Hot Topic Many Like To Avoid

Posted by brushworks Zone5-Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 30, 13 at 8:43

Corruption in our schools. This is about Atlanta, but it takes place across the country in every state. Some get caught and some don't. Those who don't reap huge bonuses and cushioned retirements at the cost of poorly educated students.

ATLANTA (AP) �" Juwanna Guffie was sitting in her fifth-grade classroom taking a standardized test when, authorities say, the teacher came around offering information and asking the students to rewrite their answers. Juwanna rejected the help.

"I don't want your answers, I want to take my own test," Juwanna told her teacher, according to Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard.

That's teaching corruption and cheating in the classroom.

On Friday, Juwanna �" now 14 �" watched as Fulton County prosecutors announced that a grand jury had indicted the Atlanta Public Schools' ex-superintendent and nearly three dozen other former administrators, teachers, principals and other educators of charges arising from a standardized test cheating scandal that rocked the system.

Former Superintendent Beverly Hall faces charges including conspiracy, making false statements and theft because prosecutors said some of the bonuses she received were tied to falsified scores. Hall retired just days before the findings of a state probe were released in mid-2011. A nationally known educator who was named Superintendent of the Year in 2009, Hall has long denied knowing about the cheating or ordering it.

Hall was Superintendent of the Year in 2009. Wonderful.

Remember the Chicago Cheating Contest?

The children and parents have more character and integrity than Hall and 30 others school teachers, staff, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cheats

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Hot Topic Many Like To Avoid

This is not directly related to bonuses and cushy retirements. this is directly related to measuring teachers TODAY by student performance TODAY.

This is about keeping jobs. This about teachers being measured by a classroom full of students, many of whom do not have English as their first language. This is about present reality, not future anything.

o

This is about tying a teacher's job to how high the students' test scores are. As though the only reason a student might not do well is because the teacher somehow failed (no student or parental responsibility--all the blame is put on the teacher). And the teacher did not create that system--that was some dumb lawmakers who tied the teacher's job to the students' test scores.

Kate

o

It's also about federal dollars. Teachers spend an inordinate amount of money out of their own pockets for supplies. They have to chase those federal dollars with test scores as well.

o

I don't want to avoid it. Let's talk about it, let's punish those that do it and let's get it stopped!

- says one that is just 30 miles north of Atlanta ...

o

I mentioned a while ago about yet another example of how bogus this 'one size fits all' NCLB testing / tying student performance to teacher job retention and bonuses.

My kids go to schools that are borderline failing. Teachers lose their jobs because they're held responsible for the test results of little Billy, whose aunt, where Billy is staying because his Mom is in jail on meth charges, was arrested again last night for drunk driving and he spent the night with social services before coming in to take the tests.

Vs my friend who teaches in a successful school, who gets a year-end bonus on how well his students do on their AP biology tests.

o

I don't believe in tying everything to the tests but I sure am glad NYS is implementing teacher evaluations. There are some nightmares that have no business teaching, especially in special Ed of all things. Right now there is no accountability and the good teachers are the ones that get hurt or just fed up with the idiot administrators.

o

This is such a mess. The more the Feds meddle in education,the worse the outcomes on many levels come to be. We have been perverting the school cultures for way too long, and trying to fix them with Standardized Testing is just asking for growing corruption as all concern learn to game the system for their benefits.

o

How do you implement teacher evaluations? Who does it and how do you avoid favouritism or corruption.?

We have standardized testing and many parents now withdraw their kids from it. The tests are done in grades 4,7 and 10. The problem that administrators don't like is that the results are then posted and the schools throughout the province are ranked. Of course, private schools take the first 15 spots - they don't have to deal with poverty issues or learning disabilities or a lack of textbooks and school supplies. They cherry-pick their student population.

Our local high school was in the middle of the pack in the rankings but what the rankings didn;t tell you is that it was the go-to school for the music program for the district. Rankings never tell the whole story.

o

This is not directly related to bonuses and cushy retirements.

Of course it was.

While Superintendent of APS, Beverly Hall set annual performance objectives for APS and the individual schools within it, commonly referred to as “targets.” If a school achieved 70% or more of its targets, all employees of the school received a bonus. Additionally, if certain system-wide targets were achieved, Beverly Hall herself received a substantial bonus. Targets for elementary and middle schools were largely based on students’ performance on the Criterion Referenced Competency Test a standardized test given annually to elementary and middle school students in Georgia. Additionally, student attendance was a contributing factor to achieving targets and obtaining bonuses.

Please don't attempt to blame others for the moral failure of Hall and her cronies.

It's disgraceful behavior and that's why it's being prosecuted instead of excused.

o

This is about tying a teacher's job to how high the students' test scores are.

I say cut those thug's pensions and pay...then watch those test scores soar through the roof!

Besides who wants to send their kids to a public school. Everyone knows they suck! Send them kids to a charter school...then watch those test scores soar through the roof!

-Ron-

o

"I mentioned a while ago about yet another example of how bogus this 'one size fits all' NCLB testing / tying student performance to teacher job retention and bonuses."

I agree, David. There's no scheme government can devise that will make everybody score "average" or "above average." Pretending differences don't make a difference in how students score leads to unrealistic expectations, and unfair demands. Differences in students, their backgrounds, their cultures, their families, family resources and support, and differences in school resources and support all make a huge difference. Well intentioned as it was, NCLB was flawed, top down government. GW Bush thought he knew best. Politicians imposed responsibility without giving those under its "dictates" any authority.

o

When we all get done figuring out this problem and fixing it so our children/grand-children are getting the top-notch education we expect, will we still be 25th, 26th, etc. behind in international competitions?
Math, Science and language skills aren't going to wait for us.

o

Schools and teachers are not miracle workers. They cannot make a child learn without help from the people who created the child. Until those "creators of the children" are held accountable, NOTHING can be done.

(I'll spare you the terms I often use for those creators.) (You're welcome.)

o

When we all get done figuring out this problem and fixing it so our children/grand-children are getting the top-notch education we expect, will we still be 25th, 26th, etc. behind in international competitions?

Probably so. Because apparently investing in our children via education is far less important that maintaining a huge defense budget and cutting taxes for corporations and millionaires.

o

That is begging the question, so to speak. The parents often already lack the educational skills from poor schooling of their time. As often is mentioned, many parents are away working and have little time or energy to devote to managing their children's extended education, leaving the schools to fulfill that role. Finally, we have already convinced many parents and children that graduating from high school will not be enough but that a college degree will be required to succeed in life.

What is a poor parent and poor child to do with that. Poverty and failing middle class status breeds despair and underperformance.

o

From the Atlanta paper:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here