Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jamie Oliver, My New Hero

Posted by sam_md z7 MD (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 8:52

For various reasons many of us don't grow our own food or raise our own livestock. We leave that up to someone else and increasingly import from abroad.
"Pink Slime" is what happens when we leave it up to someone else to butcher beef.
At a time when we are bombarded by celebrity nonsense such as makeups, breakups, tatoos, drug addiction, out of wedlock children, along comes Jamie Oliver who clearly and concisely spells out how beef is treated and fed to our school children.
McDonalds, Burger King, & Taco Bell have stopped using Pink Slime which is illegal in UK and only used as pet food.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube clip

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jamie Oliver, My New Hero

Your youtube clip not available. It is just as well, however, as it is a little early to get grossed out....

o

"Pink slime is the meat that the butchers rejected, basically. It's the connective tissue and other leavings, usually outer areas of the carcass that have more opportunities to get exposed to bacteria - what a 2003 Beef Products, Inc.-financed study referred to as "larger microbiological populations." If microbes were hipsters, this would be Williamsburg. It was once shipped off to be used in oil and dog foods, until an entrepreneur thought that it might be salvageable for human consumption.

What gives "pink slime" its distinctive hue and texture is the process of treating it with ammonia. The usual alkalinity of beef is somewhere around a 6, which is about the middle of the acidic-to-not-particularly-acidic scale. In order to kill E. coli - a bacteria commonly found in meat, not to be confused with e. e. coli, a bacteria commonly found in erratically punctuated poetry* - which thrives at higher acidities, some method of increasing the alkalinity of the beef is necessary.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Remember in 1998 when Oprah was sued? She won the first suit and the second one was thrown out. Oliver is my hero because he has taken on a very powerful industry and so far, appears to be winning.
Connective tissues as well as intestines and other unmentionables can still be labeled as 100% beef. I just think we have the right to know what we are eating at fast food counters and in children's school lunches. Isn't it likely that the rash of recalls from salmonella and ecoli has come from these Pink Slime additives?

o

I saw this on the news last night. Disgusting. Apparently, the greatest danger of pink slime additives is in the cheaper finely ground fattier hamburger.

o

I read his some time ago online and sent the information to my daughter. Her children t eat at McD's a lot more than they should because if my daughter is not home for dinner , my SIL routinely takes them there.

I'm not sure though, that I've gotten through to her.
I know I've not gotten through to him.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 10:39

This has been one of the most well kept "food" related secrets in American history. Thank you special interest for the meat packers! Your money was well spent on those who don't want to regulate anything except their own interest$.

o
Well, then there is this.....

I dunno. At the link is my vote for the REAL human consumption 'pink slime' from slaughter houses...

/why won't Americans take these jobs?

Here is a link that might be useful: warning - disgusting

o

Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 11:01

Notice that the fast food chains are dropping these adulterated hamburgers now after years of Sales, gotta get out before the slime hits the fan. Grocery stores are shipped pure pink slime to add to their real hamburger, how thoughtful of them. Can't trust the label "100% ground beef", parts is parts. No requirement to list pink slime.

o

I've been saying all this, in different wording, for a long time... our food source is compromised! Due to the way regulations read, our labeling doesn't often tell us what we're really getting, and the processing and chemicals we're ingesting are slowly poisoning us.

My doctor has been a fan of Jamie Oliver and what he's doing for a long time, and is the ONLY doctor I've ever known to care so much about food and nutrition, and use diet as the first place to look when many illnesses and issues occur... and is not at all about selling big pharma pills and herding us through as though we were cattle... "thank you for the chance to over-bill your insurance, NEXT!"

If you think what goes into the human food industry is bad, then you don't even want to delve into the pet food industry to see what they're using and doing. And as we know, the pet feed industry is a secondary offshoot, using the leftovers and trash from the human food industry to make another income from the offal...

Rather like the plastics industry developed as an offshoot of the petroleum industry to find a way to use the leftovers from processing. Yes, folks... plastics were developed from the crude oil industry, and all but replaced rubber.

Anyway... Jamie Oliver has been known to us for a very long time, and I'm certain I've mentioned him a time or two. Good to see him brought back up as a subject.

o

I'm definitely a Jamie Oliver fan. The man knows real food!

A number of years ago, my local coop expanded to include meat. The guy who started the meat department wasn't a "coop guy." He was an old-fashioned butcher who would no longer participate in the decline of the conventional retail meat business.

o

Love Jamie Oliver who has been the subject of much derision when he tried to teach Americans how to change their school lunches to healthier ones. Too expensive they said, kids wont eat them, they said.

Make me beyond happy that not one piece of any red meat, pork, beef, anything with four legs has passed my lips in over 30 years. I would get violently ill if I was ever forced to eat a hamburger. Just smelling steak cooking makes me nauseous. I grew up eating meat back in the day when it was safe,but stopped for health and humanitarian reasons as did my kids.

Another hero of mine is Michael Pollan. Eat only pure foods, not much and never eat processed food.

o

Same here I remember my mother making the butcher grind the meat in front of her & if they wouldn't she would grind it herself.
You couldn't get me to eat any of this crap today & I haven't for the last 20 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warning Warning Chick Video

o

labrea, that image will stick with me for a long time (and I only watched 20 sec. of it). Thanks, people should know.

o

I'm vindicated, haven't had a hamburger since 1983.

o

Same here I remember my mother making the butcher grind the meat in front of her & if they wouldn't she would grind it herself.
You couldn't get me to eat any of this crap today & I haven't for the last 20 years.

Here is a link that might be useful: Warning Warning Chick Video

o
re:sorry

Sorry just came back in and it posted again!

o

More Pink Slime it's chicken patties ground slime also known as mechanically separated meat, tendons eyeballs connective tissue washed in small amounts ammonium hydroxide then filled with flavoring & breaded.

Parts is parts...what parts Chicken parts seperated under high pressure into a fine tastee sludge mnnnn gimme a straw!.

o

Thats what they use in cheap hot dogs.

I once tried baiting my have-a-heart trap with some hotdogs made from mechanically separated chicken - they're so awful the raccoons would take a bite and just leave the rest in disgust.

o

O My Goodness--that looks like something from Lost in Space.

Where did "parts is parts" come from?

I've been trying to get people to remember that commercial for years and no one knows what I'm talking about!

I was told years ago that a popular diet drink (shake) had byproducts from the petroleum industry as an ingredient. I do not know if this is true.

o

When an animal turns down human food, we can be assured there's something wrong with it. Animals eat purely with nutritional intake as their reason... and their noses tell them most of what they need to know.

We eat meat, but we need to know it's source. No fast foods, no pre-packaged or imported garbage.

We also are fortunate to know one of a dying breed, a real butcher. I've never seen anyone who can so skillfully cut up a deer and not leave tons of waste on the bones. He's amazing to watch at work. With him cutting, and me wrapping, I can't keep up with him!

o

Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 17:13

Demi as I recall the "parts is parts" was from a Burger King commercial selling it's chicken strips while making fun of McD's McNugguts....which are pretty gross.

o

Makes you think or just hate the messenger

Some place parts is parts I'll be generous & spare you the pics of what they look liked served!

o

Oh, what a sad sad photo. Breaks my heart.

Thanks, vgkg, that sounds familiar now.

Probably after the Clara whatever her name was campaign.

I have never had a chicken nugget in my life (avoid most all chicken but sometimes grilled chicken salad in a nice restaurant) and neither have my children, to my knowledge.

Thank goodness!~

o

Jamie Oliver, when asked last week about his recent weight gain, replied "Are you from a tabloid? thank you for noticing, you b-tch."

He blames his remarks on a some drinks the night before.

what a nice guy.

Here is a link that might be useful: What a hero

o

As much as I love my dogs, I will not condemn another culture for their choice in edibles. In different areas of the world, different animals are considered sacred, or the people don't see them as pets or what not... the Chow Chow, a breed we know here in the States, was originally intended to be bred as a meat source for humans.

We, as a society, eat plenty of meats and things that farm kids may consider pets, as in 4-H projects, etc... baby calves, lambs, goat kids, rabbits, etc...

So... to each his or her own, I guess... as long as it's not processed like fast food and other meat sources are.

o

I'm more a live & let it live person for the most part but even I eat cheese & most Cheese uses rennet which is made from calf stomachs. I also wear a recycled leather coat so on that level I'm not a purist I'm a hypocrite. When I was a kid we never ate this much meat. We suck up resources to be a fast assed Nation 16 pound of grain to get 1 pound of burger.
Forget the methane from all those animals.
aside from slime, adrenaline, hormones, antibiotics & just a rapacious culture that eats everything in sight or processes everything & then reprocesses it.
My friend Wilhelmina's daughter said there wasn't a single sparrow left in the part of China shes in because they sell them on skewers

From a NY times article in 2002

In the late 1950's, Mao notoriously put sparrows on a hit list of natural pests to be exterminated as China made its Great Leap Forward into communism.

After pleas from scientists that whatever damage sparrows were thought to be inflicting on grain harvests was more than outweighed by their consumption of harmful insects, the surviving birds were given a reprieve and went on to thrive.

But now China's rising tide of pesticide pollution and appetite for wildlife may achieve what caused even Mao to flinch: the extinction of these small, unprepossessing birds in many parts of the country.

Jin Caimin, a cigarette vendor who spent his childhood on a farm west of Beijing, remembers that in the 1970's the fields teemed with wildlife: frogs, fish, dragonflies and sparrows. Now the remaining fields around his village are silent.

''Thinking about it,'' he said, ''you just don't see any sparrows around these days. Just occasionally. Not all the time like when I was a kid.''

Cows in Florida run off into the everglades, hmmmn'
Pasture land where the everglades once were more cows more methane.
Gotta get that beeeeeeef! Or Sparrows.

Looks like they may need a lot of pesticide to replace these little buggers!~

o

david52's warning-disgusting link made me remember a trip to visit a couple in Marktheidenfeld, Germany a few years ago. I was given a tour of the property and then invited in for lunch. I wasn't sure what was placed in front of me but I ate it so as not to appear rude. It was souse! Bits of pork brains floating in a clear, salty jelly. Sometimes called head cheese.
I guess that's not really a fair comparison. If someone knowingly eats souse they are OK with it and there's no problem. Pink slime OTOH is a dirty little secret that I had never heard of 'till now. I wonder how many US military mess halls around the world are serving up pink slime.

o

I give Jamie credit, but he has scarcely scratched the surface of what is wrong with the mass food supply.

o

"I give Jamie credit, but he has scarcely scratched the surface of what is wrong with the mass food product supply.

o

That dog picture made me sick, as did the sparrows one. Eating the flesh of any animal is so abhorrent to me, it makes me gag. I have never had a chicken nugget, and neither have my kids. I think 14 year old GS might have because he runs with his friends to all sorts of places to eat.

I grew up eating German food including pot roast, chicken pot pie,but never would touch the souse, pudding, or scrapple even before I became a vegetarian. My grand father loved all those rich organ meat dishes and ended up dying of a massive heart attack on the street when he was 65.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 7:13

....many of us were fortunate that we grew up "before" factory-farmed/GMO food.

What I want to know is why the "hating" on capitalism. Hey we dont need no dang regulations.

Remember when Michelle Obama tried to promote healthy eating ?? She got slammed by the corporate-owned media and their minions.

Lay off the job cremators !!

o

Food facsimile might be more accurate.

Example: beans grown on completely dead soil by virtue of synthesized fertilizer, then parked in various elevators for long periods of time, then subjected to very high heat while being processed and then canned as "refried" beans, complete with MSG and sodium chloride for seasoning carefully relieved of any helpful trace minerals and dangerously fractured fats for flavor.

o
Food not bombs

Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 7:38

Ah now PNBrown, let the ones who think they are "off the hook" cause they don't eat mickeyd's etal think they are not affected by our food system ... :)

Like the oil spills don't tamper with the food supply, or fracking with our water supply.

We are all in this together ... and we will all go down with the ship of fools !

DEREGULATE ... DRILL BABY DRILL !!

o

Number of U.S. medical schools: 125
Number requiring a course in nutrition: 30
Most common cause of death in the U.S.: heart attack
How frequently a heart attack kills in the U.S.: every 45 seconds

Average U.S. man's risk of death from heart attack: 50 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat: 15 percent
Risk of average U.S. man who eats no meat, dairy or eggs: 4 percent

o

I should have been dead years ago...

o

Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 8:37

....saw this on a friend's wall.

Explain to future generations it was good for the economy when they can't farm the land, breath the air nor drink the water !!

o

That's exactly it, Ohiomom... and once again, it all comes down to what? Say it with me, now... greed.

o

Ohiomom, not sure I agree entirely. On a personal level we can to some extent isolate ourselves from some of the bad effects. One can make radical changes to how and what one eats. One could even move someplace that has relatively uncontaminated soil and water. One can get hold of minerals to improve soil.

One could even not eat refined sugar but that seems to be entirely beyond my willpower.

o

....saw this on a friend's wall.

Explain to future generations it was good for the economy when they can't farm the land, breath the air nor drink the water !!

Are you sure they weren't referring to the United States of America using depleted uranium bombs and ammunition in Iraq, Afghanistan and Libya?....Same results.

o
Not so simple though

Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 12:21

Well Brush according to PNBrown, all they have to is make "radical changes to how and what they eat, or they could even move someplace else" :)

Things are not really as simple as that though are they :(

o

Aren't they?

o

Utah has the answer: a number of horrible videos taken in factory farms has recently surfaced. The videos were made by animal welfare activists who took a job there specifically to take the pictures. So what do they do? Why they make it a crime to apply for a job under false pretenses of course, simple.

o

I thought we'd already discussed cost, availability, preparation, etc... remember, PnBrown? Back in all those threads on welfare and personal bootstraps, and all that? No, it's not always as easy as changing eating habits... sometimes, the wherewithal simply isn't there.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 20:00

I'm vindicated, haven't had a hamburger since 1983.

I'm assuming that includes all ground beef products.

I don't buy ground beef often, but do like grilled burgers in the summer with homegrown tomatoes and the occasional meatloaf or pot of meatballs. I typically buy from independent grocers. Will be asking questions next time I shop.

o

"Most of us are vaguely aware of the claustrophobia and brutality, the genetically deformed creatures tipped over in tiny cages; these videos simply illustrate the filth and slaughter of mechanized farming in detail. Senator Jim Norman responded to these upsetting images with a logical proposal: Ban photography on farms. Florida Senate Bill 1246 would prohibit "entering onto a farm and making any audio record, photograph, or video record at the farm without the owner's written consent."

I love my Morningstar Farm Griller's not a bit of meat in them & I'm not talking about mom and pop 4h gee I raised the pig butchered it & now I'm having a BLT.
112 Million pigs are killed each year for food about 1 million die on the way to market & I'm sure they ground them up for something or other.
(sows) account for almost 6 million of the pigs in the U.S.spend most of their lives in individual "gestation" crates. The crates are about 7 feet long and 2 feet wide"too small to allow the animals even to turn around. After giving birth to piglets, sows are moved to "farrowing" crates, which are wide enough for them to lie down and nurse their babies but not big enough for them to turn around or build nests for their young the piglets are removed at 10 days & the sow is impregnated again. Jimmy Dean Jim Dean

Every year in the U.S., 50 million male piglets are castrated I've posted pictures of this being done by hand no pain killer often just twist & rip. Americans don't like that boar taste in their pork like you get in Europe.

Piglets are packed in sick ones are eaten by healthy ones & then you eat them on a nice bacon cheese burger, mnnnnn!

That sour outlook again of mine.

I can't imagine why if baby back ribs are so good pig fetus bar be cue would be insanely delicious I'm sure they just aren't for lab class any more.

Oh you know this little sucker smoked & slathered in your special bland of sauce has to be great perfect size to fit right on a plate.
Rude of me I know but I don't give a good one!

o

Jodik, I didn't agree then and I don't now.

If people have very limited money to spend on calories that is all the more reason to avoid fast food joints. I can understand not being able to afford the bag of organic potatoes over the conventional, but not the argument that some people can only afford junk food.

o

People that say they can afford only fast food are wrong.

If they take responsibility for their health there is plenty of education from government agencies, schools, the media, libraries, and the internet (I know not everyone has access to the internet, but I venture that most everyone that goes through the line at TacoBell or Burgerking does) that explains nutritious, lower cost foods.

I took my children before junior high to the grocery store, gave them $10 each and together we selected food for a "family," pretending they were parents with not much money.

Beans, rice, peanut butter, powdered milk, large bags of fruit on sale--all available and more nutritious than fast food.

However, I'm noticing every time I go to the grocery store, prices are rising and rising. A box of Grapenuts at the store Friday night was $5.39. Not many people can afford that, or if one can, they refuse to pay that. Of course we keep hearing how much better the economy is and there's no inflation so I guess it's my lying eyes. Pity everyone's poor pocket book.

I

o

That used to be my favorite cereal. I don't eat the dry crunchy flakes and nuggets any more as it is one of the more unhealthy ways to consume grain. Granola is better, if only because oats are better than wheat, but it is also less pulverized and has nuts and if it is a good grade of granola it will be made with decent oils. Admittedly granola is quite expensive, but OTOH less is more when it comes to granola, much higher energy food than the typical flakes. A smallish bowl with applesauce and almond milk takes me through the morning whereas a big bowl of grape nuts would not.

For the person who presumably does not have the money for any of that but rather wheaties or cornflakes, does that fluffy bowl of de-natured grain and sugar get them usefully through the morning? Despite the commercials, no. Not a good value. They are eating other stuff between breakfast and lunch, so that cost has to be added. Then we can talk about the cost of drifting attention and other costs of sub-par nourishment.

o

Pat, do you make your own granola?

Give this a try, it's very, very good, healthy and filling, although somewhat high in calories:

Bircher Muesli

3 cups rolled oats
1 cup fresh orange or apple juice
1 cups milk (you can use low-fat or soy if preferred)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons honey
1/2 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
1/4 cup sultanas or white raisins
1/2 cup light cream (for whipping)
2 tablespoons slivered almonds or chopped hazelnuts
1-2 granny smith apples, peeled and grated
small handful of seedless grapes, sliced in half.

In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, orange juice, milk, sugar, honey, yogurt and sultanas.
Mix well, cover, and either refrigerate or leave in a cool place overnight.
The next morning, whip the cream, and fold it through the muesli with the slivered almonds, grated apple and grapes.

If the consistency is firmer than you prefer, add more milk or cream to taste.

Serve with seasonal fresh fruit, if desired.

o

It's all a very nice thought... and if wishes were horses beggars would ride, they always say.

But every time we come to this point in the same conversation, it is automatically assumed that everyone lives in the cradle of super-suburbia... and has access to all the best grocery stores, the money with which to purchase the best foods, the perfect kitchen with all the appliances necessary for preparation, and the knowledge regarding preparation and nutrition.

Am I the only one who sees that our world is comprised of not just one scenario, but contains many different individuals with different living conditions, education levels, access to different things, and that not everyone possesses even the basic physical abilities to do what those perfect households in super-suburbia can accomplish?

I don't even have access to a full kitchen. Luckily, I have the common sense and education to make do where I must... but what about those who don't? And if I didn't have access to a vehicle to drive the 7 miles to the nearest grocery store to buy fresh foods, or the small budget I do to purchase those items, there wouldn't be a lot I could do, as rural areas don't have public transportation, and I've opted not to use public aid at the moment.

What about those with special dietary needs, and those with dental issues, or other issues that make eating what you all take for granted an impossibility?

It's like some of you don't know how to turn around and look in the other direction, or through a window that differs at all from the one you look through.

Oh, if there were only a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's on every corner... but there's not. Oh, if there were only no poverty and health issues in this nation, but there are a lot. Oh, if only everyone had access to the same things and could actually use them... but this is a fantasy.

Be lucky you can afford to buy all the nifty ingredients to make your own granola, and have the utilities necessary to make it, the physical ability to do so, and the wherewithal to eat it.

o

I think you have the motivation to eat healthy jodik, that plays a big part.

As for education, as far as I know, children as young as 1st grade get a basic understanding of good foods vs bad foods. I don't think it's a matter of not knowing but moreso not putting forth the effort. It's harder (especially when not having a full kitchen and easy access to a market) to prepare something nutritious than unwrapping a cheeseburger.

o

Excusing the machinations of the ConAgras and etc on grounds that the very impoverished would starve without garbage food is disingenuous.

o

The last three meals I have had at a friend's house were produced from his property, with the exception of butter.
And, he has raised cows and has chruned butter so it's not like he can't do it.

The meal last night was bass caught last week in the lake where he lives, pan seared with butter and toasted pecans, sauteed squash, tomatoes and onions, and baked sweet potatoes. Dessert was blackberries from his own property. Two meals ago it was deer chili, the deer killed when I was along, with canned tomatoes in the chili from the garden.

My point is--if you can grow flowers you can grow your own vegetables.

Any place there's a Taco Bell or Burger King you can bet there's a store where you can buy the items I mentioned--peanut butter, dried beans, bags of fruit on sale, powdered milk.

I don't buy for one minute that people have no choice of food and nutrition other than fast food.

One doesn't have to live in a rural area to be able to grow a garden, we grew gardens every town or city we lived in, and all of those homes were in the suburbs--behind the garage.

This year I'm finally getting my husband's gardens going again--vegetable and flower. I should have plenty of produce for myself, to put up for the winter, and to share, and what I don't grow I'll buy from the farmer's market.

Urban apartment dwellers are more at the mercy of the logistics.

o

Demi, the lack of healthy affordable food in urban areas particularly low income areas has been a problem for years. The scarcity of grocery stores in urban areas where low income people lack cars has even been described by the USDA and other researchers as "food deserts".

Here is a link that might be useful: Food Deserts

o
Urban Dwellers Not Many Choices

Thanks, KT, running out the door but will come back and check out the locales.

That is my concern, that urban dwellers have the least choices, particularly the young and elderly, and they are at the mercy of local businesses and can't comparison shop and can't grow their own vegetables or hunt.

Meals on Wheels for the elderly used to be a good agency, I will have to check with someone I know familiar with this agency to see if they are still running a good operation.
Has anyone here delivered meals for this organization?

o

They also have the most expensive choices buying at small convenience stores where the markup is way higher than the chain grocery stores and quality poor.

There are also some encouraging examples of urban farmer's markets and urban vegetable gardens that should be a model for urban self-sufficiency.

o
Some would love some Pink Slime

Referring to the inmates I left behind a year ago. A lot of them constantly craved fast food. Lots of disparaging remarks about what was served in the chow hall each day. Most of them came from a background where literacy and a balanced diet were not highly prized nor encouraged. Correlation, hmmm...

o

Reminds me of getting into the elevator of a major hospital around noon, and two different people got in carrying huge bags of fried fast food, taking it up to their family or friends who were patients. Can't eat this healthy hospital food ! Go get me some KFC!!!

o

Price of steak expected to go up another 10% this year.

o

Correct KT... and food deserts are only one of the many variables that keep certain areas and individuals from eating as they'd like to, and as they should.

It's always assumed that everyone lives a grand lifestyle in the land of perfection... and this is simply not true. It galls. It's an affront to those who fall into the categories no one ever thinks of or seems to care about.

David, chances are those KFC buckets are headed for patients who were brought in on gurneys with heart attack and other related illness or symptoms... the very diets that brought them to be ensconced in a hospital bed to begin with.

And we wonder why health care is so costly...

When you find a truly decent doctor, and he tells you what changes you need to make in order to save your own life, it's prudent to listen and take action. The pharmaceutical industry can only keep you alive for so long... you actually have to make the effort to help yourself... with the caveat attached: if you can.

o

Demi, I used to deliver meals on wheels, but it has been some time ago, so can't really comment on it today. The people I delivered to were all older women.
The one woman I remember so well was a black woman who lived in a really run down shotgun style house that had never been painted. This woman was born with a cleft lip and it had never been fixed. It was really an eye opener that in this country someone was unable to have a cleft lip fixed
I do still donate to them.

o

Thanks, Chloe, for sharing your experience with Meals on Wheels. Poor lady has gone a lifetime without having the cleft lip fixed? No doubt she sacrificed for every one else if she ever had anything. Of course, some people become comfortable and don't want to do anything about it after a period of time, it becomes part of them. I know of a old man that wouldn't be fitted with an artificial leg and insisted on staying in a wheelchair.

Surely medicare would pay for some/most if not all of that surgery for this woman. Smiletrain, which pays for repair of cleft palates and disfigurements, is an organization I support, too.

The elderly are the most vulnerable I think, even more than children because we have agencies that do try to keep track of children at risk for their health or physical situations, but the elderly often can't prepare meals and are at the mercy of what they can buy ready prepared and at the cost of where they can acquire it, if they can get out and about to shop.

Posted by Jodik:

"It's always assumed that everyone lives a grand lifestyle in the land of perfection... and this is simply not true."

"It's always assumed" by whom, specifically Jodik? Always, really--each and every time, always--that EVERYONE lives a "grand lifestyle in the land of perfection?"

Those are very sweeping, specific and assumptive pronouncements.

Do you believe what you said?

o

Yesterday in the news there were reports of a new study, one of those mega studies where they aggregate lots of older studies, and the conclusion was pretty astonishing to me.

"But Pan said the bottom line was that there was no amount of red meat that's good for you."

NO AMOUNT!!!

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here