Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where You Can Get Pink-Slime-Free Beef

Posted by markjames (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 9:46

"After an ABC News investigation detailing the use of a cheap meat filler, finely textured lean beef, commonly called pink slime, which is in 70 percent of the ground beef sold at supermarkets, J. Patrick Boyle, president of the American Meat Institute, defended the practice as a way to safely use what otherwise would be wasted.

"BLBT (Boneless Lean Beef Trimmings) is a sustainable product because it recovers lean meat that would otherwise be wasted," he said in a statement.

However, the substance, critics said, is more like gelatin than meat, and before Beef Products Inc. found a way to use it by disinfecting the trimmings with ammonia it was sold only to dog food or cooking oil suppliers.

But Boyle says "the beef trimmings that are used to make BLBT are absolutely edible" and Janet Riley, senior vice president of public affairs for AMI, said there was no reason to label beef that contains "pink slime."

"What are you asking me to put on the label, its beef, it's on the label, it's a beef product, it's says beef so we are declaring it's beef," she said.

But Kit Foshee, who, until 2001, was a corporate quality assurance manager at BPI, the company that makes pink slime, contends the trimmings bear little resemblance to beef.

"It kind of looks like Play-Doh," he said. "It's pink and frozen. It's not what the typical person would consider meat."

He and two former USDA inspectors told ABC News the filler commonly referred to as pink slime comes from a low grade of beef trimmings unlike what they call real ground beef. Foshee said that he was fired by BPI after complaining about the process used to make the filler, and the company's claims about it. Since then, he has spoken out against the product.

The low-grade trimmings come from the parts of the cow most susceptible to contamination, often close to the hide, which is highly exposed to fecal matter. But because of BPIs treatment of the trimmings simmering them in low heat, separating fat and tissue using a centrifuge and spraying them with ammonia gas to kill germs the United States Department of Agriculture says it's safe to eat.

The company calls the final product "Finely Textured Lean Beef." Foshee said it was not as nutritious as ground beef because the protein comes mostly from connective tissue, not muscle meat.

But BPI, its inventor and primary manufacturer, told ABC News in a letter from a lawyer today that pink slime was USDA approved beef and was nutritious.

ABC News emailed the top 10 grocery chains in America and seven responded:"

==========================================================

Read On.

Enjoy your hormones, antibiotics and pink slime.

Here is a link that might be useful: Where You Can Get Pink-Slime-Free Beef

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where You Can Get Pink-Slime-Free Beef

It's rather amazing to me that this is such news to some folks. It's been the case for decades now that if you really want to know what's in your beef, have the butcher grind a cut in front of you.

(Obviously this is not applicable to the USDA buying the stuff in tons for schoolchildren's lunches, etc, and I'm glad the legislation forbidding it is coming; better late than never.)

o

It's not news to me, but it's news to many, plus the scale is much larger due to growth of commercial grocery resellers.

When we buy hamburger for guests, we buy it from a meat supplier that grinds it fresh. Because of this, it's fresh, has no pink slime, plus the meat is from one cow, not dozens blended together.

o

I knew I quit eating red meat for a reason. Well, that and I feel better without it. It's really hard on your digestion!

o

Eating meat of any form is pretty disgusting if you think about it too long.

Pink slime, just the picture, is really disgusting. But, is there any really apparent danger to our eating it? I just don't know. Remind me what's so terrible about it from a health point. We make cooking stock out of every last bit of a turkey at Thanksgiving. What's the difference.

And if it's because of the ammonia, then what is so harmful about that process?

"Enjoy your hormones, antibiotics and pink slime."

Hormones and antibiotics I can understand, but that's not what's gotten people all excited.

I suspect this has been explained before, but I forgot.

Hay

o

We quit eating beef for numerous reasons, but one of the big ones was price and availability of well fed hormone free, antibiotic free beef.

I've never really liked the taste, or smell of beef to begin with.

o

Thank you, Mark! I'm off to Costco.

o

Every 18 months, I buy an 18 month old grass-fed, no hormone, basic immunization steer from the ranch across the road, and have it butchered by a guy who specializes in aged beef. Even with the recent price increases, the whole cost is still less than $4 a lb.

/what beef is supposed to taste like

o

Before I cut back on meat consumption, this meat-and-potato man used to buy shares in organic beef and pork locally grown and butchered. Most of those butcher shops have closed under competition from mass marketed pre-packaged meats. I no longer can tolerate beef except as side dish.

o

Although not complete, Eat Wild has a listing of grass feed beef producers.

Several of the farms where we used to buy hormone/antibiotic free, grass-fed, free-range beef are no longer selling it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eat Wild

o

Mark, thanks for that link. Very cool. I found three farms within 20 miles of me.

o

yes, thanks for the link,
I was surprised to find so many in my state, one on the edge of the city I live in.

o
Eat mor Chikin'

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 16:59

The cows have been warning us for some time now....

...Soylent Pink

o

The is a beef operation within two miles of my home; I was under the impression that the ranch sold wholesale organic grass-fed beef. Three other ranches in SBarbara County are absent from the list, a couple having been certified organic for decades now. So the list in the link posted by markjames is incomplete. We have no more slaughter houses in SB County in spite of the claim by one of the posted supplier.

o

Like I mentioned, the list is incomplete, but still an excellent source as most people we know have no idea of these producers even exist. Most don't advertise and many don't have a website. Most of our population lives in towns, villages, suburbs and cities and rarely travel back roads in farm country.

Even though they advertise on billboards, radio, in papers, plus have a website and fleet of lettered trucks, I'd estimate that 8 out of 10 local residents have never heard of one of our largest meat suppliers in the area. They don't know they have a store, website or home delivery as they're located in a small village just off route 29.

Most of our population lives in towns, villages, suburbs and cities and rarely travel back roads in farm country and/or don't travel and shop in other small towns, hence why businesses in these areas don't do well.

Many of the producers are small scale, so quantities are limited and sold in bulk on a pre-order basis.

o

Even our larger ranch operations rely on selling off the calves to feed lots rather than finish off the steers and process them for retail trade. I remember my old butcher shop complained about the organic beef coming in with sides weighing half again as much as commercial beef.

My grandfather could have empathized: he had to prove at 60 that he could man-handle a side of beef. He developed a hernia bad enough to require surgical repair (back in 1930). Following the operation he developed pneumonia and died a couple of days later.

o

Cost-co's chicken breasts are krap free also, but of course more expensive per pound than what you find in the general discount supermarket.

I bought a big mess of ground beef last time I was at Cost-Co, divided up into our regular meal portions for us and sealed and dated each portion with my food saver sealer before storing in our big deep freezer. It will last the two of us a very *long* time since we don't eat a lot of beef as a general rule.

I would sure like to see the FDA raise their standard of tolerance on the outright banning of so much of this stuff the public does not want in their food supply, and want to know why, exactly, they are so reluctant to do so.

And why don't they get into the vitamin/mineral/supplement end of business? I have a feeling so much is so crooked there that the public is getting flat out stolen from. Why is the FDA so reluctant to NOT get all up in that business, I wonder?

On that note, FYI, I read or heard somewhere that a test was done on the claims of a bunch of well known and "respected" brands of vitamins and some of the best known tended to do a lot of false advertising about the accuracy and amount found in their vitamins, but Cost-co's Kirkland brand scored the best of all of them, which was good news to me since that is what I try to buy if what I'm looking for is available by Kirkland.

Nature's Best didn't do very well at all, which kind of surprised me. Neither did "one a day"

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 27, 12 at 11:03

According to newz reports the main producer of pink slime has closed down 3 of it's 4 plants due to the public backlash and grocery stores and schools cancelling their orders. I can only assume that the 4th plant will be for suppling the pet food industry and possibly fast food places that can stay below the radar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here