Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
JIm Kim to the World Bank

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 12 at 10:03

I'm currently reading the book by Tracy Kidder about the life of Dr. Paul Farmer and his incredible efforts in world health - 'Mountains Beyond Mountains"- and his colleague JIm Yong Kim in this fight against drug-resistant TB and AIDS.

Very happy to see that President Obama has nominated Mr. Kim to head up the World Bank - an excellent balance to Christine Lagarde, now heading up the IMF.

At the link, an idea of what this guy is all about

Here is a link that might be useful: link to wiki biography

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: JIm Kim to the World Bank

He is a remarkable man and I think a perfect nominee given the focus of the World Bank.

o

My daughter, who is on the email list for Partners in Health, just got this:

Dear XXXX,

It gives us great joy to share the news that our Partners In Health co-founder and dear friend, Dr. Jim Kim, has been selected by President Obama as the United States' nominee for the Presidency of the World Bank.

Jim is an inspired choice to lead the World Bank. Having seen him work in settings from inner-city Boston to the slums of Peru, from Haiti to Rwanda to the prisons of Siberia, we know that for three decades Jim has committed himself to breaking the cycle of poverty and disease. This has been his goal as a physician, a teacher, a policy maker, and a university president; it was ever his goal as a founder and director of Partners In Health, which now operates in more than a dozen countries.

Jim has worked in rural villages and squatter settlements, just as he has worked in the halls of power and privilege. Again and again, we, his friends and colleagues, have seen Jim imagine a better future, one that harnesses new technologies and older but sound notions of justice and equity, and links this vision to much more than talk and reports and studies.

Jim is all about delivery and about delivering on promises often made but too seldom kept. We can think of no one more able to help families, communities, and entire nations break out of poverty.

As poverty continues to claim lives, and as inequality deepens, the Bank -- and other institutions charged with lessening poverty -- need bold and experienced leaders and implementers like Jim Kim. Today is a proud day for us at PIH, and it is a great day for the poor and all who serve them.

Yours,

Paul & Ophelia

end email. / A lot of happy folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Partners in Healh website

o

I got the same e-mail plus one from President Kim explaining a bit about why and how the transition from Dartmouth to perhaps the World Bank.

o

Wow... his credentials are certainly outstanding, and I hope he is chosen. In fact, isn't today the deciding day? Did I read that correctly?

o

Good for him he gets lots of point from me from what the media has let me know about him. How long will it be before the same media begins to knock him down. I hope it's along time before that happens as he seems to have brought a lot of help to a lot of people.

o

How long will it be before the same media begins to knock him down.

Some were having fits with Jeffrey Sachs' bid to become head of the World Bank. He has now withdrawn his name and is supporting Dr. Kim.

I should have been following this more closely.

o

It was a surprise to me because nothing was leaked to the alumni, although I suspect that the Board of Directors had been informed soonest. Kim has been a very good manager for Dartmouth, helping to guide the College back from the brink of fiscal diaster while improving diversity and financial aid at the College.

o

One of the other leading choses in this contest is a woman from Nigeria, who also has an impressive resume.

The link has some info about how some in the bank want to start funding infrastructure in the 'middle income' countries.

I thought Kim's strength is in effective programs that help the truly poor, and I thought that was still the emphasis of the bank. But when there is that much money, a lot of folks come after it.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Outstanding choice :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here