Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Even monkeys are better at math than you.

Posted by haydayhayday none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 11:49

Sorry to be so blunt.

Remember back in the good ole days when we were God's very special creatures?

It was a lie as we keep finding out.

Smart is as smart does.

"Who is smarter: a person or an ape? Well, it depends on the task. Consider Ayumu, a young male chimpanzee at Kyoto University who, in a 2007 study, put human memory to shame. Trained on a touch screen, Ayumu could recall a random series of nine numbers, from 1 to 9, and tap them in the right order, even though the numbers had been displayed for just a fraction of a second and then replaced with white squares.

I tried the task myself and could not keep track of more than five numbers..."

And you can't balance your checkbook?

Homing Pigeons can find their way home just by navigating the sounds of the earth and you can't read a roadmap?

Dung Beetles can use the Milky Way to roll those dung balls in a straight line, but you trip every time you get up at night to use the bathroom?

Hay

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Even monkeys are better at math than you.

Your first sesson on the missing thread seems not to have taught you the essence of "math". Dung beetle maneuvering of matter?

o

Dancing for needed attention and our amusement.

o

Yet you frequently profess that you are attracted to bimbos in tight jeans and even vote for them.

o

"Yet you frequently profess that you are attracted to bimbos in tight jeans and even vote for them.'

Stalking Liar.

Hay

o

Bimbos have been very successful over the millennia. Apparently book-smarts aren't a big factor in darwinian success.

o

but Hay-you are still confusing everything under the sun with math-and reminding you since you apparently do not have the same memory capacity as your ape-balancing a check book is arithmetic.

o

"as far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 13:03

No reason to believe animals aren't as smart as we are, many just lack opposable thumbs (or thumbs, for that matter)

o

I wish I were good at math. I know it would have helped, especially since I was always interested in biology and sciences. I know my life would have been successful if I were good at math.

Something I noticed with friends and brain development is that the friends who did puzzles when they were growing up are not only better at math, conceptual and real spacial relations, but are better at real problem solving.

o

I have a math question. How many times has Hayseedman/Hayday referred to dancing someplace where guess what, there are women with tight jeans? Oh my!
And how many posts suggesting that Democrats are less intelligent than Republicans, cannot balance their checkbooks and therefore do not understand fiscal issues?
I am not sure of the number because I ran out of fingers to count.

OK, I'll lighten up on you Hay...and here is song for you to dance to.

Here is a link that might be useful: I know you're a monkey too

This post was edited by heri_cles on Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 13:19

o

It's never a good idea to feed the trolls.

o

Nice dancing and performance by Mick on that link to live Rolling Stones I would say..
And the performance of Street Fighting Man that followed was pretty good as well.
It's all good.

o

2+2=22

Every species has it's own special talents

o

Some as yet to be discovered,no doubt.

o

I am so happy to read the responses, so appropriate to the OP! There is intelligent life lurking in HT.

o

100 monkeys with typewriters will eventually reproduce Hayman's seminal threads on simians and similar subjects.

o

Oh please stop, you'll only encourage Hay by using the word 'seminal' and 'reproduce' in the same sentence- let's just stop at the dancing and not discuss the rest of the evening.

o

Oops!

I used the quote re Shakespeare and monkeys and then riffed from Hay's other moniker - hayseedman.

Your point is well taken.

o

bad enough thinking about monkeys.

o

worse is imagining hayseeds down ones shirt

o

Lying is a funny thing, isn't it? Can this possibly be true? Please, say it isn't so.

In the long run, you don't see too many liars getting ahead, so you'd think it's nothing more than an irrational compulsive behavior. Not much different that any other OCD that we run into on a daily basis.

We see a lot of threads about how Bush lied to us to get us into Iraq (I think I saw one around here just recently.) Lying is a funny thing, isn't it?

Please, say it isn't so!

Hay

o

no, worse would be monkeys grooming the hayseeds from down one's shirt.

o
Which half are you?

This copy(?) of Palin's SAT scores says that she's just below the 40 percentile level on the math and verbal sections. I don't recall, but I don't think that someone NOT intending to go to college would normally take the SAT's. If you put in the high school students like this, the non college-bound ones, and include the ones who dropped out of school, I'd suspect that Palin tests out better than fully half of the people in the United States.

Mediocre. Right dab in the middle. I suspect that applies to around here, too.

Palin is smarter than half of you. Sorry to be so blunt. Please, say it isn't so.

Hay

o
Please don't take this personally.

I do hope you all are enjoying this.

Give a dumb dog a bone and he'll chew on it all day long.

Try not to take all this personally.

Only half of you can do that.

Hay

o

Hay, FYI you are having a Dunning-Kruger moment.

Have you ever heard the old saw that if you point your finger at some one you have 3 pointing back at you?

o

Interesting - you never know what you will get when you turn the crank on that organ.

o

Did you call Hay a crack or an organ?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here