Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rl 11 the story continues.

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 5, 12 at 12:28

Interesting opinion on the current out rage from RL.

Are we being fair to Rush Limbaugh? By David Frum, CNN Contributor
updated 8:32 AM EST, Mon March 5, 2012

I think there are a lot of instances when RL has uttered uninformed or deliberately untrue things for shock value. He is not a person to go to for help in a positive way. The next link is collateral damage as a result of his words and the people that believe him.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 at 06:30 AM PST
I've spent the past 2 days trying to convince my 16 y/o she is not a "slut" **Final update tonight

by beantown momFollow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rl 11 the story continues.

Enough RL for me, thanks.

o
RE://////// the story continues. NOT

Enough RL for me, thanks.

o
RE://// rl 11 the story continues.

oops, sorry Don, the site promoted me with a rejection notice. So I reposted after ammending the OP descriptor.

I still pass on the RL continued saga of shysterism

o

Actually I agree with you Marshal but this thing is still going and I wanted to get in on a bit of the fun here. Also we have a friend with the same medical problem as in the second link as do many of you whether you know it or not. They just don't talk about it.

Here is a link that might be useful: AOL dropped him

o

I hope that people do not do as usual....If it is a hot topic they will get involved and 3 days later it is forgotten and RL goes on to continue his assault on the next female victim.

o

o

I read the whole story and it is quite compelling. I feel for the girl because I had the same illness as her daughter but it was before the advent of the pill and so I had to rely on hot water bottles and midol!

Why in the world did the doctor have to hand out the girls' prescription medications on the trip. This doctor was just a parent - he wasn't employed by the school and he had no standing as the school's doctor. It seems clear to me that he was the one who either told his kid who told everyone else, or somehow the kids got into his bag and put two and two together. In any event, the fact that this girl was on the pill is confidential information and he as a doctor should know the hipaa rules. I find it very presumptuous on the part of the school that they think they even need someone to hand out medications. A 16 year old should be able to take her own medications without parental intervention.

I don't know what this poor mother should do that wouldn't embarrass her daughter even more. She really has a dilemma.

The fact that these young girls are citing RL as a legitimate source is just too sad and distressing for words.

o

"A 16 year old should be able to take her own medications without parental intervention."
No they shouldn't. They should be able to talk to their parent who should help them. Until they're 18.

The doctor was REQUIRED by HIPAA, regardless if she was his "patient", to shut his mouth--and protect her information!!!! The nurses at work have double locks on all patient files, and no one can log onto anyone's account with prior authorization. It applies to everyone who touches a medical record. Regardless of the relationship to the patient (her MD, a staff member, friend, etc.). It's the law. No comments, everything locked up. If he didn't follow compliance, he's a criminal and can (and should!) be prosecuted.

As for RL, I don't know what happened, but it must be awful. Shame on him.

o

Here is another interesting link

Here is a link that might be useful: Female Veterans Demand Rush Limbaugh�s Show Be Pulled From American Forces Network

o

Actually, and I'm not sure whether this is state by state or nationwide, but if I recall correctly, our kids weren't even allowed to take aspirin unless it went through the school nurse first, with a note or phone call from the parents, and the school nurse held onto any medications, whether prescription or over the counter.

For kids in younger grades, I think this is probably a good idea, as kids can be forgetful, or lose things... but for high school, I think it's just a ridiculous policy. If you can't handle a simple task like taking a pill when you're supposed to, then why are you in high school? By that age, most teens should be responsible enough to keep their own private medications and aspirin or whatnot themselves, and should be able to handle the task of taking it when necessary. I would agree that a phone call to the school would be a good idea, just to let them know... but I think most teens are perfectly capable of handling certain private tasks by themselves. Or at least, they should be able to... for goodness sake, there comes an age where most kids don't need to be held by the hand any longer.

I will admit that I haven't yet read any of the new links posted, but context and comprehension being what they are, I can surmise that we're talking about a Dr. who failed at keeping something very private as private as he should have.

My own daughter went through hell with similar female issues, and the pain is enough to send you to the ER on occasion... unless something is done to help regulate the body, and ease the pain. If I recall, she was about 14 when the issues became painful enough that she came to us and asked for help. She's an adult now, but I would have been seriously angered if some doctor that was just a parent at her school had handled the pill situation thus... seriously angered!

It's no one's business what kind of medications anyone takes, or why. That's between them and their doctor, or parents should the child be a minor.

And then to have it announced over public airwaves and treated as though it were something it wasn't? Seriously angered wouldn't even cover it. Slanderous, is what it is, and then some... and you don't want to be anywhere near me when it comes to issues having to do with my children!

I could probably be classified as the type that would literally rip Mr. Limbaugh a new one! Maybe two, if I wasn't caught and held back in time! Rather like a bear and her cubs, you don't get in between them and live to tell the tale!

But seriously... I think now the public has even more reason to consider him a nuisance on the air, and quite a pig, in my opinion.

o

A 16 year old should be able to take her own medications without parental intervention."
No they shouldn't. They should be able to talk to their parent who should help them. Until they're 18.

You really don't think a 16 year old is capable of taking daily medication on their own?

o

That's not my problem with the issue. Medications are only issued to adults legally. They're not adults. They're in our care and we are held responsible for what they do. Nothing more than that.

o
RE: //rl 11 the story continues.

I am not talking about actually getting the prescription but the daily physical task of taking the pill.

o
/rl 11 the story continues.

I watch my son take his medication daily. And will until he's 18. Yes, I'm that persnickety. But my university education is legal and I work in the medical field. I'm the extreme end of that spectrum.

:)

o

Is it that you don't trust him to take the medication?

o

We stopped holding our kids' hands long before they turned 18... even before 16. They are trustworthy, worldly, educated, and I never worried that they'd do something stupid. Sheltered is one thing our children were not. We believe that the more a child knows, the better armed they are to make the right choices in life.

The way we see it is, a lot of parents hold children back because of their OWN fears. Of course, it's greatly dependent upon the individual child, but we tend to think that children are a lot smarter and eager to learn than many adults are able to recognize, and as a result, a lot of kids aren't ready when life hits them in the face.

It's not a dig at you, Robin... you have to mother as you see fit... we all do. We were just a lot more open to allowing our children the freedom to explore their world. Our eldest was riding a quad solo at age 2. Dad was watching, but our son was ready for it. Our middle child was not as coordinated at 2, so it took him a little longer.

Everyone parents differently... and each child is a distinct individual. I just can't picture myself standing there while my 17 year old kid took a pill. Good grief, if I were that stringent, what would I do when they went off to college, which usually happens at about age 18 or 19?

o

I was in college at age 16 living in an apartment in NYC. I loved being independent. My daughter was pretty independent too at that age. This is why I am having difficulty understanding the rationale behind being so protective. I am not second guessing you robin because I know you are doing the right thing for your son, but I'm just trying to figure out why you monitoring him so closely. I suspect you are afraid he will not take the medication, in which case I totally understand.

o

My grandson used to be that way, lax in taking his daily dose. Bad news. His mother had come to trust the 16 year old to act responsibily.

o

At both the middle and high schools here, a student will be expelled if they are caught bringing any medication to school w/o turning it over to the school nurse, along with a doctors note/prescription. The school stocks Tylenol and other OTC stuff, but, if a kid needs to take, say, an antibiotic at lunch, he'd better turn it over with all the paper work.

Of course nobody does this, the kids just quietly take the medication.

o

Sorry this off on this strange tangent!

I love you guys, but you have to think back about other things I've said and done. Not just here. I have said I was responsible for him, was the only point. Yes, I trust him. I'm not standing over him watching his every move. It's not "protective helicoptering". It's smart if I don't want to be held responsible and stuck saying (have you ever been to court? It's really humiliating to have to say something like this. No I haven't had to say it myself, but I've seen similar), "Honest judge! I didn't know he was selling his drugs on the street! I thought he was taking them!!!" I'm not interested in being sued for something someone else does. When it's his mistake, he's gonna get the full brunt of it, I won't save him at all. Hopefully, I will have shown him what was right enough. I get the meds out for him and it's taken in my presence (although I am doing other things not standing there staring at him take it). Not watching him. :)

However, I really really don't think 16 year olds should have apartments or drive cars (check other threads, this isn't the first time I've said this). They are under no legal obligations; I can assure you, their parents are, fully. And, their judgement is really poor. Not that it's better at 18, but parents are off the hook then. You got really lucky you didn't get sued from something your child did. Whew! Thank God we are not in court having to explain why our son got a hold of a gun and took it to school. They're getting prosecuted for it too. Civilly. Rightfully so. I'm not sure, but I think it could've happened even in a good home. It's so sad. I hope that little girl grows up forgiving him.

I trust him to keep up his work at school, do his chores at home, obey authority... without reminding him or hovering over him. And he's free enough that I am the person he turns to when he needs to make tough decisions (So and So got a Valentine's card from that guy and she gushed over it like it was the best thing in the world, but barely batted an eye over my calligraphy I painstakingly made for her. It's tearing me up ma! What do I do? Or, I'm having a really hard time hanging out with this friend because they got kicked off the bus for doing drugs last year. I don't want to do drugs, but he's still my friend... (how to walk that line)).

I'm not monitoring everything all the time. Just the legal stuff. Pure CYA when it comes to that. This is my persnickety issue, every parent has one. :)

o

Everyone parents differently... and each child is a distinct individual.

Yes, every child is distinct as is every situation. Nuff said. I would err on the side of monitoring medication when they are a minor. I hardly think this will make them an irresponsible adult and depending on what the meds are for this is not a choice if you ask me. They are still children.

Heck, I see my in-laws forget and counting their meds all the time.

o

Daughter was off to university 3 months shy of her 18 birthday, 1000 miles away!

My biggest job was to make sure she was ready to handle life all on her own without mommy. So many lifestyle issues, real dangers, adult decisions.....scary as hell.

To have her as ready as possible to take care of herself by the time she went to university we sure had to make sure that at a minimum she could take any medication as required without supervision!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here