Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
energy hogging by latitude

Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 29, 13 at 13:27

Starting a new thread since the last one is mired.

From the same book, Brazil is the new America:

"The residents of the US spend more energy heating their homes than Brazilians spend on all uses"

Remarkable, huh? Likewise one could live on far less energy around the Gulf coast or the southwest if one went without cooling, or used a couple year's worth of expense on cooling toward pv electric generation direct to AC (no battery bank or expensive grid-tie). The cold air is the sink. If we could make cluster communities properly designed in the lower latitudes energy use per-capita could be cut by an order of magnitude. Vehicles-per-capita could be massively lowered, without unpleasant urban living which precludes convenient recycling of human effluent.

Nothing would build the middle-class and reduce the rise of the plutocracy like massively slashing our energy use. I have been thinking for a while that intentional communities could be the weapon that unions were in the last go-round between the haves and the have-littles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: energy hogging by latitude

I'd like to see it normalized by income/PPP/GDP or something. The global south is much poorer and in many places doesn't have the ability to purchase electricity to cool its homes, light at night, etc.

Also I'd like to see total energy expenditure across all sectors. Nonetheless, I'm quite sure our wealth allows us to purchase energy that the tropics cannot.

o

Sure, of course it doesn't mean that the difference is entirely one of the need to heat vs no need. It's a significant factor, though.

o

"The residents of the US spend more energy heating their homes than Brazilians spend on all uses"

I can understand how the last thread got mired...with blanket statements like these. I'm not even going to ask how they determined this stat. It's amazing how people will trust some stats when they are stated with authority and through a medium that is acceptable.

I've always been a skeptic and have questioned EVERYTHING.

-Ron-

o

Well, Ron, how will we verify it?

o

With global warming, I suspect heating costs will go down for more and more as time passes, I say with sarcasm.

o

Not necessarily. Wind speed is a huge factor in keeping a structure at a certain indoor temperature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here