Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best states for women

Posted by chloe45 zone 61/2-7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 14:00

"To coincide with Women's History month, iVillage, which provides an online social community for women, has partially released its comprehensive analysis of the "50 Best to Worst States for Women" based on healthcare and wellness, economic well-being, parenting support, education, female representation in government and reproductive rights.

The Nutmeg State was placed at the top of the list because it "provides healthcare coverage for over 90 percent of its female population and touts an educated population with more than one-third of women holding a four-year college degree," according to a statement released by the company.

Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts and California came next on the list of the best states for women. Each day for the next 10 days, five more states will be unveiled in descending order, culminating in the worst states on March 23."

Here is a link that might be useful: women

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best states for women

Well, according to the AUL (Americans United for Life) website, Washington state is the worst state for women, which translates, to me, the best state when it comes to women's health. Click on "your state" at the top to find out where your state ranks in the opinion of AUL.

Hooray for Washington State which passed, by voter referendum, in 1970, a law legalizing abortion in early pregnancy and, in 1972, passed an Equal Rights Amendment to its constitution. In 1943! it passed its Equal Pay Act (probably because so many women were building planes at Boeing). I'm so thankful to be living in this state.

o

Since California was listed as number five, I went looking for the commentary on the ranking - Best to Worst States for Women: 1-5

With the GOP hoopla about the mandate to insurers to provide contraception, why has no one been ranting about California? Or have I missed something?

California earned an A+ ranking - the nation's highest - from NARAL Pro-Choice America for its efforts to ensure a woman's access to contraceptives and abortion services. By law, insurers are required to include contraceptives in their prescription coverage policies. Victims of sexual assault must be offered emergency contraceptives in the emergency room (34 states have no such requirement) and the right to choose is written into the California constitution.

o

Not PA for sure. They are in line to be the next state with vaginal ultrasounds. And the governor just signed the voter ID law today. I hope the ACLU fires back big time. This is life in PA with the T-baggers in charge.

o

states ranking 6-10 are Vermont, New York, Minnesota, Washington, New Hampshire.

o

Not surprisingly, there are none in the south....

o

A poll by iVillage is meaningless. Among other entities, but from them, meaningless.

Here is a link that might be useful: Do you fight family at Thanksgiving? Then they were right!

o

A poll by iVillage is meaningless.

Rob, it's not a poll. From the OP:

...comprehensive analysis of the "50 Best to Worst States for Women" based on healthcare and wellness, economic well-being, parenting support, education, female representation in government and reproductive rights.

o

This explains the methodology

Here is a link that might be useful: methadology

o

To me, it's a bit ironic that Maryland is high on the list, as it was founded by Catholics, in Colonial Days....

o

"iVillage Names Connecticut the 'Best State for Women'

You want to know the real reason?

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here