Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sheriffs stand up for 2nd amendment

Posted by fancifowl 5Pa (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 14:10

So far the sheriffs of Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana,New Mexico and Wyoming have joined in telling Obama they will support the citizens rights which the 2nd amendment speaks to. On top of those state sheriffs organization many many other sheriffs across the country are also speaking out in support of citizens. They go on to state that 10 round magazine limits are a bad idea as there are times when 10 may not be enuff to end a threat, if that applies to LE it applies to citizens as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sheriffs stand up for 2nd amendment

Link please or is this a email you received.

o

Our local sheriff stated much the same thing, and the letters to the editor are hilarious. "Can you just list out the laws you won't enforce, so we know what we can get away with?" being a common theme.

Funny how they don't talk about all the police chiefs in major urban areas who differ considerably in their opinion and support much of the current proposed legislation.

o

So far the sheriffs of Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Indiana,New Mexico and Wyoming have joined in telling Obama they will support the citizens rights which the 2nd amendment speaks to.

False.

o

No one is trying to take away 2nd amendment rights which says you can own a gun. Doesn't say what kind of gun. A gun.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 14:33

Thank you WxDano ...now lets see who "gets it" :)

o

why dont ya just check with the sheriffs. I watched a couple of them in interviews. our sheriff just assisted in getting his son in law a class III license, thats fo assault weapons. Sheriffs are elected, not dupes appointed by mayors as are chiefs of police.

o

I found a list of those sheriffs opposed to it, and what really stands out are the Arizona sheriffs. What is it about that place? The home of Gabby Giffords and they'd oppose it? Oh, I didn't find an article. Just a bunch of biased blogs.

o

Well, my county sheriff was one of the ones that came out and said he would oppose anything Obama tried to do that he felt was against the second amendment.

Too bad Obama didn't say anything about taking away someone's second amendment.

o

why dont ya just check with the sheriffs.

The sheriff in my town doesn't agree with the e-mail you received and need to think is true. In fact, I'll wager he thinks stricter gun control would be wonderful.

I'll guess less than 5% of Colo sheriffs agree with the text in the e-mail you think is so wonderful.

That is: what I italicized is false.

o

I received NO email???
We have a shooting range where LE comes to shoot and I talkwith state police and sheriffs many of whom belong to the NRA and are avid shooters and just plain gun nuts. we talk gun stuff between rounds of shooting.
There is also a 3 page article in The rifleman RE: US sheriffs, who are elected by the people, not some hack appointed by a mayor as are police chiefs, who kiss azz to get their job, they kiss it some more to keep it.

o

For the third time:

The statement that I italicized upthread is false.

o

"340 Sheriffs Refuse To Enforce Unconstitutional Gun Control Laws

Including Sheriff John Cooke of Weld County, Colorado, 340 sheriffs have publicly stated they will not enforce gun laws they believe are unconstitutional.

In response to the passage of two new gun control bills in Colorado last week, Sheriff John Cooke told the Greeley Tribune that he "won't bother enforcing the laws."

One bill requires gun buyers to pay for their own background checks, a service that was previously free and now estimated to cost the buyer $10-$12 per purchase. The second bill puts a 15-round limit on magazines.

Cooke says of the new laws: "They're feel-good, knee-jerk reactions that are unenforceable."

Governor John Hickenlooper is expected to sign each bill into law this week.

Cooke is part of a growing list of sheriffs that have vowed to uphold the Constitution against gun control measures.

The Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association (CSPOA) has a running tally of all the sheriffs across the nation that have joined together to defend the Constitution.

At the time of this post, there are 15 sheriffs associations, 340 sheriffs, one police chief and one deputy sheriff who have stated they will not enforce any new gun laws.

As the "Right Views" previously reported, the number of sheriffs taking action continues to climb as the gun control debate heats up." end quote

There are 64 separate sheriffs in Colorado, and I think 4 have said they won't enforce the laws. El Paso, Montezuma, Routt, and Weld.

I could be wrong on this, there might be one or two more.

The Colorado Sheriff Association is suing the state over the recently passed legislation, the attorney taking the case is a paid shill 'consultant' for the NRA.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 21:14

David the comment section of your above link tell the tale ... cold dead hands and patriots and breaches and bullets.

Actually "talk" of gun bans/control enriches the few from the many, as has been attested sales are booming, shells flying off the shelves.

A market driven by rumor and fear...

o

Its just not as simple as you would think mom,the anti gun stuff certainly is no rumor!! Just listen to what the likes of feinstein, Shumer and the other brady bunch shill have to say.but hey!

You are certainly right about one thing tho, gun and ammo sales are the highest bthey ever been. .22 revolvers made by XXXXX company are sold out for 2 years; I will have to wait 12-18 months for my new bench rifle. Only 1 manufacturer at this time is even taking orders and they are at a 6 month lag time. You cant buy ammunition components at all. Good thing we have a healthy back stock. But summer is coming and we can burn up a few hundred in a weekend.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 22:03

Do you expect to change anyone's views on gun control?

You really don't get it do you.

o

get what, whos views are you workin on? Im just killin time till the weather improves.

o

The weather is fine in Pennsylvania.

o

I wonder if a few scattered cops are gullible rubes unable to comprehend what they read too?

o

sure is mom47, for tracking, or cutting some wood. Not so good for plowing and planting. But they say snow is good fertilizer?? There is some good fertilizer here as well!!

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 11:56

Not much snow here, farther south, it's been a pretty dry winter, but no plowing at the farms up the road, yet. The geese are still eating the gleanings from last fall's harvest.

o

last year by this time I had 1200 row feet of early potatoes in the ground, as well as 200 feet of green onions and 1000 feet of Candy and walla Walla sweet onions, 100 feet of peas and 100 feet of beets. This year, only the garlic is growing.
Looks like another week of this snow and cold, at best! I should be pruning the brambles and ribes! at 66 I am getting a bit slower at being motivated.

o

The more guns crowd:

Crook County, Oregon Sheriff Jim Hensley

Douglas County, Oregon Sheriff John Hanlin

Lee County, NC Sheriff Tracy Carter

Curry County, Oregon Sheriff John Bishop

Oconee County, Georgia Sheriff Scott Berry

Larimer County, Colorado Sheriff Justin Smith

Jackson County, Kentucky Sheriff Denny Peyman

Linn County, Oregon Sheriff Tim Mueller

Madison County, Idaho Sheriff Roy Klingler

Livingston County, Missouri Sheriff Steve Cox

Smith County, Texas Sheriff Larry Smith

Josephine County, Sheriff Gil Gilbertson

Madison Count, Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning

Cedar County, Iowa Sheriff Warren M. Wethington

Charleston County, South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon

Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin

Gilmer County, Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson

Pine County, Minnesota Sheriff Robin Cole

Grant County, Oregon, Sheriff Glenn Palmer

Coos County, Oregon Sheriff Craig Zanni

Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Charles Heiss

Martin County, Florida Sheriff Bill Snyder

Siskiyou County, Califorhia Sheriff Jon Lopey

Humboldt County, Nevada Sheriff Ed Kilgpore

Stanislaus County, California Sheriff Adam Christianson

Grant County, Oregon Sheriff Glenn Palmer

Lawrence County, Missouri Sheriff Bard DeLay

Shasta County, California Sheriff Tom Bosenko

El Dorado County, California Sheriff John D’Agostini

Tehama County, California Sheriff David Hencraft

Lassen County, California Sheriff Dean Growden

Del Norte County, California Sheriff Dean Wilson

Modoc County, California Sheriff Mike Poindexter

Mendocino County, California Sheriff Thomas Allman

Plumas County, California Sheriff Greg Hagwood

Humboldt County, California Sheriff Mike Downey

Madison County Alabama Sheriff Blake Dorning

Charleston County South Carolina Sheriff Al Cannon

Morgan County Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin

Houston County Alabama Sheriff Andy Hughes

Gilmer County Georgia Sheriff Stacy Nicholson

Canyon County Idaho Sheriff Kieran Donahue

Fresno County, California Sheriff Margaret Mims

Washington County, Oregon Sheriff Pat Garrett

Multnomah County, Washington Sheriff Dan Staton

Yavapai County, Arizona Sheriff Scott Mascher

Boone County, Kentucky Sheriff Micahel A. Helmig,

Clermont County, Ohio Sheriff A.J. Rodenberg

Morgan County, Alabama Sheriff Ana Franklin

Maricopa County, Ariznona Sheriff Joe Arpaio

El Paso County, Colorado Sheriff Terry Maketa

Weld County, Colorado Sheriff John Cooke

Mesa County Colorado Sheriff Stan Hilke

Collin County Texas Sheriff Terry Box

Gilmer County, Sheriff Stacy Nicholson

Johnson County, Missouri Sheriff Frank Denning

Spartanburg County, South Carolina Sheriff Chuck Wright

Mesa County, Colorado Sheriff Stan Hilkey

Bernalillo County, NM Sheriff Dan Houston

McKinley County, NM Sheriff Frank Gonzales

Catron County, NM Sheriff Shawn Menges

Union County, NM Sheriff William Spriggs

Mora County, NM Sheriff Thomas Garza

Chaves County, NM Sheriff Patrick R Jennings

Otero County, NM Sheriff Benny House

Cibola County, NM Sheriff Johnny Valdez

Quay County, NM Sheriff Joe Schallert

Colfax County, NM Sheriff Jim Maldonado

Rio Arriba County, NM Sheriff Joe Mascarenas

Curry County, NM Sheriff Matt Murray

De Baca County, NM Sheriff Dennis A. Cleaver

Roosevelt County, NM Sheriff Darren Hooker

San Juan County, NM Sheriff Ken Christesen

Dona Ana County, NM Sheriff Todd Garrison

San Miguel County, NM Sheriff Benjie Vigil

Eddy County, NM Sheriff Ernest J Mendoza

Sandoval County, NM Sheriff Douglas C Wood

Grant County, NM Sheriff Raul Holguin

Santa Fe County, NM Sheriff Robert Garcia

Guadalupe County, NM Sheriff Michael R Lucero

Sierra County, NM Sheriff Joe Baca

Harding County, NM Sheriff Herman Martinez

Socorro County, NM Sheriff Phillip Montoya

Hidalgo County, NM Sheriff Saturnino Madero

Taos County, NM Sheriff Miguel Romero Jr

Lea County, NM Sheriff Rod Coffman

Torrance County, NM Sheriff Heath White

Lincoln County, NM Sheriff Rick Virden

Los Alamos County, NM Sheriff Marco Lucero

Valencia County, NM Sheriff Louis Burkhard

Luna County, NM Sheriff Raymond Cobos

BEAVER County, UT Sheriff Cameron Noel

BOX ELDER County, UT Sheriff J. Lynn Yeates

CACHE County, UT Sheriff G. Lynn Nelson

CARBON County, UT Sheriff James Cordova

DAGGETT County, UT Sheriff Jerry Jorgensen

DAVIS County, UT Sheriff Todd Richardson

DUCHESNE County, UT Sheriff Travis Mitchell

EMERY County, UT Sheriff Greg Funk

GARFIELD County, UT Sheriff James D. Perkins

GRAND County, UT Sheriff Steven White

IRON County, UT Sheriff Mark Gower

JUAB County, UT Sheriff Alden Orme

KANE County, UT Sheriff Lamont Smith

MILLARD County, UT Sheriff Robert A. Dekker

MORGAN County, UT Sheriff Blaine Breshears

PIUTE County, UT Sheriff Marty Gleave

RICH County, UT Sheriff Dale Stacey

SAN JUAN County, UT Sheriff Rick Eldredge

SANPETE County, UT Sheriff Brian Nielson

SEVIER County, UT Sheriff Nathan Curtis

SUMMIT County, UT Sheriff David Edmunds

TOOELE County, UT Sheriff Frank Park

UINTAH County, UT Sheriff Jeff Merrell

UTAH County, UT Sheriff James O. Tracy

WASATCH County, UT Sheriff Todd L. Bonner

WASHINGTON County, UT Sheriff Cory Pulsipher

WAYNE County, UT Sheriff Kurt R. Taylor

WEBER County, UT Sheriff Terry L. Thompson

-Ron-

o

and of course there are more, such as this county and the 3 surrounding. They just havent sought to broadcast it.It is very encouraging to know that many will stand for our rights as they took an oath to uphold. Unlike those who just swore for the sake of swearing, like obama, biden and the rest of their ilk..

This post was edited by fancifowl on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 21:31

o

Unlike those who just swore for the sake of swearing, like obama, biden and the rest of their ilk..
That list of Utah Sheriffs is laughable. They need to carry out the law or turn in their badges. I suggest that they be placed on probation and that they be allowed back only after one year spent on the job patrolling a high crime neighborhood in one of our big cities.

o

at 66 I am getting a bit slower at being motivated.

At some point weapons become more of a danger to the elderly than anything else. Slow reflexes, Arthritis, bad vision, shaking from Parkinsons and dementia do not mix well with weapons.
It is one more reasons we need universal background checks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elderly man brandishing weapon gets shot

o

any time ya wanta sit at the range, let me know. I still win matches, with one eye that is correctable to 20.40 , the other is gone. I can shoot reactive targets with auto pistols as wellas anyone I shoot with, I also do darn nice at point shooting a fixed sight revolver, I can't see the sights, I just know where to shoot. That took a while I can tell ya. Of course I use an 18 x 50 scope to shoot 100 yards but I am always less than moa. My biggest problem was switching from my dominant right eye which I lost to shooting left handed, had to start by resting the but on my chin!

Those sheriffs are sworn to uphold the constitution, thus maybe your problem with them?? Chiefs of police are sworn to their boss, the mayor. Cities created their own problems, they can deal with that.

o

At the time of this post, there are 15 sheriffs associations, 340 sheriffs, one police chief and one deputy sheriff who have stated they will not enforce any new gun laws.

Not a huge shocker, given that they've done a piss-poor job of enforcing the existing gun laws.

o

uh, most sheriffs are not charged with enforcing gun laws. That is the police. and lets not forget that those criminals are allowed to plea down to hardly anything, most walk.

o

Now that is a weird distinction FF. I used to live in San Bernardino County which is as large as some of the smaller eastern states and whose population is concentrated in limited urban areas. The rest is the responsibility of the Sheriff's department, other than a couple of free ways crossing the deserts and mountains where the CHPatrol operates. I know for a fact the sheriff's department enforced gun laws among all the state laws. Me and some buddies ran afoul of the deputies on a couple of occasions.

o

Police authority stops at the city limits. Then the Sheriff takes over.

o

well I wasnt too clear on that was I. Many sheriffs do serve as the principle LE force. I think LA? has the largest sherrifs dept in the country, 12,000 officers? For the mostt part tho, the sheriffs dept. serve as an arm of the courty where their duties are court room security, moving prisoners, courts administration and running the county jail. I was just assisting our sheriff in building a chicken house for his kids yesterday. Today we were at my sons working on the new shooting range as well asthe 6 of us putting several hundred rounds down rangefrom 10-12 handguns and rifles. The sheriff brought a;long his AR.The ARs just dont trip my trigger, unless they are configured for excellent accuracy.

o

glad to see your bad back has improved FF.

o

Siskiyou County, Califorhia Sheriff Jon Lopey

Stanislaus County, California Sheriff Adam Christianson

Shasta County, California Sheriff Tom Bosenko

El Dorado County, California Sheriff John D’Agostini

Tehama County, California Sheriff David Hencraft

Lassen County, California Sheriff Dean Growden

Del Norte County, California Sheriff Dean Wilson

Modoc County, California Sheriff Mike Poindexter

Mendocino County, California Sheriff Thomas Allman

Plumas County, California Sheriff Greg Hagwood

Humboldt County, California Sheriff Mike Downey

When checking on CA elections results after the polls close, the above counties are the first with complete election returns filed with the Secretary of State. Low population, red counties -- with the exception of Humboldt and Mendocino. I'm surprised to those two counties on the list.

Many sheriffs do serve as the principle LE force. I think LA? has the largest sherrifs dept in the country, 12,000 officers?

Los Angeles County is the largest county in the country - if iirc - both by population and geographic size. (It once stretched from the Pacific Ocean to the Arizona border.)

LA Co. Sheriff's Department is the law enforcement for unincorporated areas within the county, as well as for smaller incorporated cities that contract the the Sheriff's Department. (A close call in maintaining the $9 million per year law enforcement contract with West Hollywood lead to the department's cleaning up its act re homophobia - at least in West Hollywood.)

Right now Sheriff Lee Baca is in no position to be lecturing anyone regarding enforcement of rights. (The feds are investigating his department for conditions in the county jail, officers' gangs (yet again), and abuse of prisoners.) Los Angeles County is conspicuously absent from the list of sheriffs asserting whatever it is that they're asserting.

o

FF: "uh, most sheriffs are not charged with enforcing gun laws. That is the police."

FF, up here, the Sheriff's Deparrment and city police department and even tribal police and DNR wardens all enforce the law. But you're right about the sheriffs themselves. They're basically administrative beings.

o

well geez, thanks quin. There really is no improvement tho, its a day to day thing. Too damned chicken for the surgery . But , what brings that up anyhow??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here