Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Judicanti Responsura

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 18:32

"Italy's highest court made a ruling on gay-family rights Thursday which activists said should push the government to revise Italy's ban on gay marriage. In its first case regarding a gay couple who wed abroad, the Supreme Court rejected their appeal to be recognized legally in Italy yet said the two men still had the "right to a family life". "Today's Supreme Court judgement is important," said Fabrizio Marrazzo, spokesman for activist group Gay Center. "The ruling says that gay couples must also enjoy the same legal rights as any heterosexual couple. The words are clear and sharp. Parliament and the government must give an answer".

The ruling said current law made it illegal to recognize gay marriage in Italy, but the "social context in Europe has changed significantly".

Bravo Italia!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Judicanti Responsura

lab:

Do you suppose that the chances for adverse rulings on gay rights issues from a future Supreme Court would be more likely if a Republican President appoints the next one or two Justices instead of a Democratic President?

The reason I ask is that you appear to have an issue with Obama that appears to trump gay rights, and I am trying to understand what that issue or issues are, especially since gay rights are so important to our country and to you in particular.

o

should push the government to revise Italy's ban on gay marriage

iirc, some regressive mogul still has control of much of Italy's media. Convince Silvio, and the odds of revising the ban improve significantly.

If his past is any indication, he understands the efficacy of bribes.

o

You are right...the Governemtn must give an answer to the High Court ruling.
It is up to their parliament to implement the changes needed to put the ruling into practice.

The world is changing, and I hope that Australia will follow suit !
all citizens must be equal under the law....what is so hard to understand about that?

o

Bravo Italia indeed!

Now we wait for the vatican taking time off from committing then covering up child abuse to froth about this.

o

My issue with Obama is he reneged on Guantanamo, instituted and equally illegitimate Military Commission in my name as a Citizen. I'm a citizen before I'm a queer (i've lived this long under tyrannical apathy & patronizing liberalism I suppose I could satd it another few years while that fat head evolves. I just don't like the man that I have found him to be rather than the fantasy sold by both sides of cesspool of politics.. When Bush acted cute for the cameras it was nauseating Obama has had a great mentor in Bush.
We still have illegal domestic spying 3 freakin years later & he merely reined it from where I sit.
I was a no party leftists, sometimes libertarian for the last 40 years I thought I heard the echos or Franklin D & Teddy Roosevelt again what I hear now is Chicago Chump change!
Even as a candidate a senator he supported domestic spying while speaking out the other side of his mouth about gross violations of the constitution under Bush.
I think he's done just as well as Bush has in this regard.

Scerets what happened to trasnparency!

During the debate, Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat and a member of the Intelligence Committee, said that the executive branch had come up with a secret legal theory about what it could collect under a provision of the Patriot Act that did not seem to dovetail with a plain reading of the text. "I want to deliver a warning this afternoon: When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they will be stunned and they will be angry," Mr. Wyden said. He invoked the public's reaction to the illegal domestic spying that came to light in the mid-1970s, the Iran-contra affair, and the Bush administration's program of surveillance without warrants.
Another member of the Intelligence Committee, Senator Mark Udall, Democrat of Colorado, backed Mr. Wyden's account, saying, "Americans would be alarmed if they knew how this law is being carried out."

The Obama administration declined to explain what the senators were talking about. Dean Boyd, a Justice Department spokesman, said that Congressional oversight committees and a special panel of national security judges - known as the FISA Court - were aware of how the executive branch was interpreting and using surveillance laws.

"These authorities are also subject to extensive oversight from the FISA Court, from Congress, from the executive branch," Mr. Boyd said.

Mr. Wyden has long denounced the idea of "secret law" - classified memorandums and rulings about the meaning of surveillance law developed by executive branch officials and the FISA Court. He and Mr. Udall had proposed requiring the Justice Department to make public its official interpretation of what the Patriot Act means. The chairwoman of the Intelligence Committee, Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, agreed to hold a hearing on their concerns next month. Me Thinks he did Bush 1 better while we are at it what do you give a crap about gay rights never saw your support in any of those posts but I may be wrong go find me a couple so I can apologize. (trust me I will but memory fails at this point)
EEEEEw OHHH an AUTOPEN reminds me of LeLu in the Fifth Element with Multi Pass.

"At the same time, Congress and the White House were rushing to enact legislation to prevent a lapse in several of the federal government’s investigative powers under the Patriot Act that were set to expire at midnight. The Senate passed the bill 72 to 23 late in the afternoon, and within hours the House approved it 250 to 153. In an unusual move, a White House spokesman said that President Obama, who was in Europe, would “direct the use” of an autopen machine to sign the bill into law without delay."
I find it a conspiracy of silence among those Democrats who have not challenged the Administration on it's cavalier handling of the rights we already taken for granted.
What under OBAMA appointed judiciary every homos should shout Hallelujah...not this faggt I'm just happy that the true queer haters lose I have no illusions of anything else.
He lost me with the signing of the Defense Authorization act
Then again this all may be just withdrawl from Paxil but I really don't think so.

o

The world is changing... but while parts are progressing nicely, other parts are rapidly regressing. It's quite the circus act to balance, I would imagine, sitting where some are sitting...

I've never understood why citizens all around the globe aren't equal under the laws of all nations.

How many times does it need to be said that homophobia is the newer kid in town.

I imagine the Vatican is going through bouts of apoplexy right about now...

o

My issue with Obama is he reneged on Guantanamo, instituted and equally illegitimate Military Commission in my name as a Citizen. I'm a citizen before I'm a queer (i've lived this long under tyrannical apathy & patronizing liberalism I suppose I could satd it another few years while that fat head evolves.

Thank you for explaining where you are coming. I have a hard time seeing how you came to these Judgments, but they are yours and yours alone.

I can't say if the issues surrounding military tribunals and detentions would trump gay rights because as a hetero, I have a different orientation than you and different priorities because of our other differences. Having said that I absolutely favor gay rights and like Obama, am evolving my position on gay marriage.

I also wonder if you have this same view of Israel who holds thousands of detainees in dungeons in Israel without trial. That is a very similar human rights and civil rights issue, isn't it?

Obama's hands were tied with trying the detainees when the Republicans went crazy over allowing civilian trials for them in Federal Court,,,,which Obama and Holder wanted to do.
The President as our Commander if Chief has the ultimate responsibility for protecting our nation. Obama, even as a young President, very much took his oath seriously and acted to protect our country from terrorist in every way he could, even when arguably, their rights were trampled, or in some cases, they had to be killed. Many of your fellow New Yorkers who experienced 9/11 in varying degrees of brutality, are grateful that he has prevented what happened on Bush's watch on 9/11.

As far as calling a Obama a "Chicago Chump," that makes me think you may have some other perhaps less graceful and intellectualized views of the man, for whatever reason.
Obama has been a Chicagoan for a brief time period in his life.
He was born and raised in Hawaii and went to Law school out East. He was never part of the old 1960's Democratic machine in Chicago, the one that Daley used to segregate the city and to attack the protestors at the 1968 protests at the Dem convention in Grant Park.

o

I was just thinking this was a celebratory post about Judges Justice & adjudicating.
We call it activism in the states these days (not doing their job)
In this country we really have gone the way of the game show when we believe we can redress injustices to segments of the population in areas of employment & accommodation & forget what Italy calls family life by allowing lard assed Governors like Christie (ewww I made a personal remark) to ignore State legislators and make it a popularity contest. You'll get your rights when we say you get them what PIG in this regard.

I can already be married in NY & I'm not rushing out the door any time soon to play copy the hetros by hitching up.

OPENLY GAY FORUM MEMBER rejects the whole notion of openly fay, gay, sway anything. Openly Puerto Rican, Openly Black puhhhhleaaaaase. Better that I had become a self loathing Republi-queer than be sycophantic exhibit in the Museum de Dmomocratos.

You all have known of my venom towards the Republicans & it is as fresh as it was yesterday there is little if anything but grief they have to offer me.

o

I have written before that I didn't vote for Obama and won't vote for him in 2012 for many of the reasons labrea stated. What tipped me off was his vote in 2008 for the Telecome Immunity Act. He offered an amendment to it (knowing full well it wouldn't pass but supposedly giving him cover) and then, when the amendment didn't pass, voted for the bill. If he had strong feelings against it, why didn't he vote against it? It still would have passed.

That told me he was a corporatist, like all other politicians. So I wrote in Kucinich - the only Democrat that I think is ethical. And, I will be writing in someone else this year, or sitting it out. He is just Bush Lite. I was raging against some of the things Bush did/enacted during his presidency, asking people how they would feel if Hilary did the same thing 4 years later (I called it wrong, even though I caucused for Obama - BEFORE his vote on Telecom Immunity).

They are almost all the same. The Dems just aren't quite as bad.

o

"The Dems just aren't quite as bad." As my best friend says "Two ends of the same dog" I agree in principal, but I still believe there are better and worse choices... I'm not necessarily going to vote for the perfect candidate (no such thing), but no matter how craven I think the current president is, there are much poorer choices available and the alternatives scare me... I'm not going to vote against my interests just to prove a point...

o

Thank you for explaining where you are coming. I have a hard time seeing how you came to these Judgments, but they are yours and yours alone. (Gee that was cute)
Guess you don't read much about the subject do you? Probably don't want to!
Gauls you that I won't vote for Chump Change must be hard you have my smallest sympathies.
Check out illegitimacy of the Military Commission I think Nik & I went at it over the Bush MC & I persisted that the New Obama MC was no more legitimate. Countless international law journals have said the same. Only several Supreme Court Cases determined why The MC was illegitimate in it's reach. Those areas were never remedied in the new MC.
Heri I've never dumped on your posts you don't seem to have a problem of following in kind. That is your problem not mine.
If you don't feel like doing the research or just retaining anything that has happened historically in this presidency it's your choice. I doubt anything you would find on the subject would change your mind anyway.
But thanks for dumping on another one of my posts!
If I wrote about egg salad would you have found a way of turning that around to suit your purposes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here