Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Victory for whales in the Internatinal Court of Justice

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 18:50

Japan has promised to abide by the ruling of the International Court of justice that "scientific" whaling is not permitted . Australia took japan to court over its ships whaling in our waters.....who said that the ICJ was a paper tiger? This is great news.

Here is a link that might be useful: the whales are pretty happy about this

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Victory for whales in the Internatinal Court of Justice

This really is great news! I hope that Japan's fishing industries will abide by this ruling and if not, severe consequences can be brought to bear against those in Japan who would be responsible for ignoring the ruling.

Congratulations for a job well done, Australia.

o

They were killing whales in the Southern Ocean Whale SANCTUARY! The bad news that I have just read is that they plan to continue whaling in the northern pacific "as that was not part of the ruling" so basically a tecnicality.
It is up to countries a bit more north that Australia to do the same now.

Here is a link that might be useful: the battle is won but not the war

o

Well, it's still a victory for Australia--and let's hope that the idea will spread to the northern pacific areas also.

Why is whaling so important to Japan?

Kate

o

Its a commercial thing Kate, they like to eat whalemeat...but to get around the international restrictions on hunting endangered whales said it was for "scientific research" of course after they had "researched" the meat they sold it at huge profit.

o

I agree with you YQ, I know of no one who would not support what Australia and the ICJ accomplished. Though for many it is a thorn in the side but celebrities in this country have brought attention to this issue, I wish that the countries of North America would join in as vocally and with effort as did Australia.

What with the stuff floating our way, the radiation ruins of the fish in our waters, I would think Japan, out of some small sense of reparation, would be willing to sign agreements and more willing to monitor its fishing industry. Its a very good time to apply that pressure to its Govt. from all countries - especially those most affected. I would think.

Id use the phrase "strike while the iron is hot" but that would probably be in bad taste so I wont.

o

It might be time to check the whales to see how much radiation they have absorbed.

Congratulations, Australia.

Good job.

o

Well, an extra helping of krill all around does seem in order!

This post was edited by david52 on Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 23:16

o

Louella loves it and loves you!

o

I would agree it's a good thing... haven't a few whales been hunted to the point of near extinction? I would think we need them to maintain the health of our oceans, or as a sign of health...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here