Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stricter gun sentences in Chicago??

Posted by fancifowl 5Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 19:17

Rahm and others want new stricter sentencing for gun crimes. Gun owners have been advocating for that for years now. BUT, the jails are full now, where are we gonna put em says the head cop.
So what now, just let em go to commit more murders and mayhem? or should they maybe let the dope smokers and hookers and non violent prisoners out with a locator collar make room for the real thugs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stricter gun sentences in Chicago??

Are pot smokers and prostitutes really that much of a threat? C'mon...

o

FF:
What can you suggest to address the type of gun violence that plagues inner city neighborhoods throughout the country?

o

stricter penalties with no plea downs, more cops in the bad areas, profiling in the worst areas, anti violence education programs. I would like to say more jobs available but whos gonna hire illiterates? I would like to say family values but we know where thats gone, maybe a campaign to stamp out violent lyrics in their "music". I dunno, there has to be alot of things some social scientists could come up with.

I think what Im sayin jodik is , let the less violent go free with a electronic tracking collar. Like we use on our dogs.

o

What can you suggest to address the type of gun violence that plagues inner city neighborhoods throughout the country?

Same thing we've been saying for years. Instead of throwing billions of dollars at new laws that do nothing but garner votes. put that same money into ENFORCEMENT of laws already on the books. Things like firearms in the hands of felons (whether owned, borrowed or stolen) would put 90% of the gang members hanging out on the streets of Chicago, doing most of the shooting, IN JAIL WHERE THEY BELONG. Using firearms in the commission of a crime is an easily prosecuted offense. Another good one is possession of a firearm that's been altered to conceal its identity (filing off the serial number). Nevermind the fully automatic weapons that are out on the street. Do you have any idea what a difference it would make just enforcing these few laws?????

o

BUT, the jails are full now

You make it sound like they weren't full before.

o

No, the head cops says, the jails are full, where are we going to put them.
I say, they arent likely to enforce any laws, past , present or future. They want to pass more laws punishing good people and are not interested in persuing the criminal problem. Its what gun owners have known for ever . The no room for bad guys excuse is as lame as the push by anti gun liberal democrats to punish me for the crimes of others

o

When the states, as well as the Feds, passed mandatory sentencing laws, this was one of the unintended consequences.

o

fancifowl wrote,

profiling in the worst areas

Do you think profiling is constitutional?

o

Do you think infringing my 2nd amendment rights are constitutional?

o

fancifowl wrote,

Do you think infringing my 2nd amendment rights are constitutional?

Evasion. Evasion means you are afraid of giving a truthful and direct answer. Why so fearful of your own opinions?

o

let law abiding citizens own guns to defend themselves and you'll see real drops in gun crime.

o

Where is your response then facto?

o

Evasion. Evasion means you are afraid of giving a truthful and direct answer. Why so fearful of your own opinions?

Funny-- I was thinking the same thing about YOUR response.

o

bill_vincent wrote,

Funny-- I was thinking the same thing about YOUR response.

It is funny, because fancifowl's non-response came first, but you don't seem to have thought that about his post.

Funny.

o

Where is your response then fancifowl?

See how that works?

o

I know what you meant, Fancifowl... my sarcasm was aimed at all the unnecessary imprisonment of non-violent "criminals", using the term loosely, and the misuse and waste within our Justice system.

Do we really need to overcrowd our court systems with these benign, non-violent issues? Drug abusers and alcoholics (and I'm not including marijuana users, here) need treatment, not imprisonment... and do we really need to lock up those people "caught" smoking pot? Is prostitution really a violent crime, or is it more likely very often the result of poverty, lacking education, and desperation?

I would wholeheartedly agree that Law Enforcement and our Justice System need to concentrate their efforts more stringently on violent crime and stop plea bargaining for the freedom of violent criminals.

Heri, we continually do offer logical suggestions for possible solutions, and try to discuss the root causes of gun violence... but most of it is ignored, or met with obsessive bluster and rhetoric.

No one wants to see violent assault continue to happen, but punishing everyone for the crimes of a few is not the answer. There are obvious underlying social issues that need to be addressed. Without addressing them, the problems won't go away.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here