Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Group Therapy

Posted by elvis 4b WI (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 19:41

It really strikes me that this partucular Forum is like a group therapy session. Does anyone have a comment on that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Group Therapy

bwahahahaha, thought you were going to suggest that we all need group therapy elvis!!!

o

No, Mrs, I think this IS GT! All the elements are here! We've got anger, denial, crazies, pollyannas, hypocrites, bigots, racists, harmless fools, clueless ones, nutcases, but mostly a lot of people who take themselves waaay too seriously :0

o

If any or all of your symptoms that you list are sorted out Elvis here then all is good and you don't have to wear gold lame because we can't see you...really.

o

But I AM wearing gold lame. You like? ;)

o

speak for yourself

o

Group therapy is intended to bring about a changed life. Does that happen here?

o

No, it is the route to acceptance and conformity.

o
RE: Group Therapy or Hot Topics?

Marshall: group therapy or this Forum is the road to acceptance and conformity? Which one (or both)?

o

You cannot conform unless you are willing to accept. Group therapy, of course. HT is the route along which one hones h/er partisan rancor.

o

rancor: "strong, bitter feelings of resentment. syn. hatred, hostility, animosity..."

hone: "to move forward or focus attention on an objective."

So you are saying that HT is the route along which one moves forward toward or focuses attention on strong bitter feelings of resentment and/or hatred, hostility, etc?

That sure doesn't sound healthy.

But maybe that's just me.

o
RE: Honing Group Therapy

Ergo, group therapy as the alternative

You obviously have never honed a knife successfully. :)

o

Look out fr Nurse Ratched.

Photobucket

o

Ah. So you didn't mean that literally. Well, that's good; although in some cases on some of these posts, I do think the poster does quite literally seem to be doing just that. Creepy.

o

literally: posting dictionary defintions of random words in others posts

literally...

o

Since some of us practice regular inventory taking as a form of recovery & since that inventory taking must be rigorous by it's nature.
I'm wondering Elvis of the varietals listed in the garden which do you see yourself as?

We've got anger, denial, crazies, pollyannas, hypocrites, bigots, racists, harmless fools, clueless ones, nutcases, but mostly a lot of people who take themselves waaay too seriously.

Curious also about what is the reasonable limit in your estimation of seriously taking oneself and how have you arrived at it?

I've yet to see a large outlay of information & a source in any of your posts & am wondering as you wondered about me. Are you a professional therapist of some sort, a poet, a comic the ability to elf asses is always interesting. Even better when reframed later by a professional or entrusted mentor with experience in self assessment.
Generalized views generally speaking produce generalized outcomes but that's an unfocused generality.
Here's where a roller derby pal comes in handy to say pay them no mind Elvis!
Unless it's intrusive what form of group therapy have you been in?
I'm not a great fan of it unless there is a truly super facilitator for the group.
Some folks would regard 12 step recovery as a form of folk, group therapy in that case this forum is nothing like that.

My last inventory was focused on being a caretaker & the uses of assertiveness & aggression combined with humor to achieve a beneficial outcome for a hospitalized partner.
On this forum My inventory is varied caustic, coercive, humorous to my fans & friends a goad I position I cherish dearly to those I only occasionally have respect for.
Pollyanna (who now there's something I've never been called in my life) I loath joy addicts and Annie Warbuck's.
I have no idea about the rest of us but I have rarely found any person any one thing or even a couple of things & to believe such is a great disservice to natural curiosity.

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

o

I do see the resemblance, Joe...creepy.

o
RE: Wine & Beans

Bruhahahhah. Live dem favah beens.

o

Yeah and no answer a wasted post!

o

Can I have dibs on the harmless fool persona?

o

I was aiming for that one but I guess if I'm honest I really don't fit.

I probably most fit the first and last one but it really irritates me that I do.

Did Joe include "irritables"? ;)

o

You could've been Hopkins stand-in ,Joe. Really.

o

Well, we all voluntarily checked into this asylum, and we stay for our daily dose of "meds."...

o

and in submission to Nurse Rached..how could a woman be so cold and heartless toward us?

o

For anyone who watches Shamrless a series I Love.
Louise Fletcher nurse Ratchet akss Joan Cussack shes a little whacked to help her end her life a shes dying of Cancer.
For Cuckoos nest lovers Louise final end with a pillow was not only referential, but sad & funny. I Think Cussack will win another Emmy this year for her character, Fletcher deserves an award for the 4 episodes she appears in as a idiopathic grandmother of a very very dysfunctional Chicago family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grammy gotta go

o

I only come here AFTER my daily dose of meds. ;-)

But seriously... message boards and forums, BBS, lists, and other forms of typed group communication of a public nature could easily be diagnosed as having similarities that go beyond the pale. They are, each and every one, susceptible to the same, or similar, groups of personalities by sheer nature. It's just a part of what they are.

I'd hardly consider a forum of any kind to be group therapy. First, there is no facilitator. Second, the personalities displayed could be hell and gone from that of reality. And third, each one claims a different sort of subject matter as its main jumping off point.

Consider the many, many different forums available just through GW. While most have more to do with gardening and growing, other added sections have more to do with homemaking and other areas of everyday life.

This particular one has more than its fair share of typical, and expected, personality types due to its controversial and mainly political nature... but don't kid yourself... even the tame forums that discuss mostly flowers and growing have their issues, as well.

As a dedicated liberal-thinking non-conformist, the only thing you'll get from me is blunt candor, strong opinion often accompanied by sarcasm or cynicism, and anecdotal information or vetted facts, as they relate to the subject matter at hand. What you see is what you get, in written form. I write exactly as I would speak to others face to face, less a few expletives, of course... most that add the necessary punch a conversation might require.

What I see is a combination of people, some that I would love to meet and speak with in person... and others that I'd not have a thing in common with. I also see partisan and/or industrial shills, a select few that would benefit from developing thicker skin, a host of other traits too long to list, and the occasional spammer.

It's an internet based message board... it is what it is.

Group therapy, it is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flame Warriors

o
RE: Now seating the ire table for 2

Did Joe include "irritables"? ;)
Mylab I think you should ask did Elvis include it her post?

o

Elvis is a her? Who knew? ;)

o

Well, I'll go first and open up with my true feelings. I'm not a trained therapist but suspect that all the people who disagree with me had a tough time toilet training as kids.

o

I just love the elf typo labrea! (((hugs to you!))) It's not quite crab that becomes crap, but it's pretty good.

o

It's just crap kt.

o

Absolutely it is group therapy. I bet HT has helped many they just do not know it yet.

o

I'm pretty sure I was saner before HT group therapy - its hard to remember.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 9:31

I'm sure that I have helped many here over the years, you surely feel saner after reading my posts.

o

Is every one doing the thorazine shuffle?

Thorazine Shuffle Lyrics
Artist: Gov't Mule
Album: Dose

Stand by to stand by
Ain't no need to worry today
Thorazine shuffle make everything OK
I know how you feel
You say you need your highs and lows
But what if you could take your pain
And just let it go

Step right back and watch me now
I'll show you how it's done
Stay right here with me now
Till the damage is done
And the damage is done

Time drags by
When you're boring
Don't care what you do care what you say
There comes a time
When you got to let the monster inside you
Let him come on out, come on out and play

Till the damage is done

Till the damage is done
And the damage is done

Stand by to stand by
Ain't no need to worry today
Thorazine shuffle make everything OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Gov't Mule - Thorazine Shuffle You Tube

o

Yet every time someone posts something funny, that we can all laugh at, it gets deleted, mysteriously. What happened to ink's yoga and wine thread???

o

wood - Check under "Part 2 Part 2 Part 2..." You can't always hone in on a thread by its title. LOL

o

I hear ya, KT... I just keep hoping this is not a real cross section of today's American public! ;-)

o

Baudelaire went
to a baseball game
and bought a hot dog
and lit up a pipe
of opium.
The New York Yankees
were playing
the Detroit Tigers.
In the fourth inning
an angel committed
suicide by jumping
off a low cloud.
The angel landed
on second base,
causing the
whole infield
to crack like
a huge mirror.
The game was
called on
account of
fear.

Brautigan!
So Bring it again!

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 29, 12 at 11:45

I vote for "elf asses"!! Either we assess elves, or we are talkin' about their tiny heinies. Either way, I'm all for the process.

As a trained therapist, can I repeat the warning of please, amateurs should not try this at home?

o

I did read Trout Fishing in America. Too many years ago to count as having been read though.

o

If I said I usually felt happier after posting on HT would it be considered delusional?

o

I've never had el ass I hear it tastes like self assessment with an undertone of Squirrel!

o

"delusional?"

Just mildly cathartic. Not to be confused with high colonic.

o

They say it tastes like chicken, Labrea~~

o

"tiny heinies" is killn me! lol

o

Morning meds,
Digoxin
Lisinoprill
Furosemide
Spirinolactone
Carvediloll
Warfarin
Vikadin/Acetamenaphin
Methocarbimol
No more Thorazine, too far gone but they just shot up my knees and shoulder with Hyalgon after a week of substituting Lovenox for the Warfarin and not sure yet what I will be taking for life after they remove the thyroid. Think I might have more problems from the side affects down the road than any of the original problems.

Come here occasionally to see what the rest of the world is worried about, guess it is each other and what the other guy is thinking. The politics today may have us all on Thorazine standing in line for our daily dose.

o

Mein Gott! Don, you do take a mess of meds, those listed are only the morning meds, eh? I was prescribed a smaller list of med after leaving the hospital. I've quite most of them owing to the side effects, combined equalled seriously compromised quality of life. I'd rather die then to end up unable to talk, constantly coughing, vertigo, nauseau,unable to ambulate properly, and unable to sleep the night through.

o

Csn't help ignoring you rudely, Labrea. I have to figure out your code so that I can have a mutually amusing and exclusively enlightening conversation with you, that's all. My bad.

o

We each have our own distinct style of writing, some more straightforward, and some a bit mystifying. Once you grasp context fully, the comprehension gets easier... or it should.

Without facial expressions, voice tone, and body language to help, deciphering some posts can be tricky... but once a style is understood, it all falls into place.

Stay long enough, and each personality reveals itself quite clearly.

Myself, I rely more on diet than medications to get me through the seasons, which change drastically for me and my medical issues, which include massive physical injury, along with an autoimmune disease, lupus. Couldn't do without certain supplements, and a heavy pain mask, but it's what I eat that helps the most, I think.

I can do away with cholesterol medicines purely through diet. I refuse to take the recommended steroids and certain other medicines for lupus; they do more harm than good. So far, the blood pressure is good, no sign of diabetes, or other issues that affect a lot of patients. I simply have to deal with limited movement, high level chronic pain, loss of memory, and other physical issues that are part of massive bodily injury and head trauma. It comes with the territory of some auto accidents, and a disease that wanders in and out of remission at will, bringing a plethora of very odd symptoms that don't always behave the same.

Maybe someday, a cure will be found, and an affordable alternative to spinal and head injury that can actually repair. That would be a dream come true... for a lot of suffering patients!

I still think diet is one of the most important ways to treat a lot of different illnesses.

o

I rely on martinis...

o

elf I need some body
elf not just anybody

when I was younger so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's elf in anyway!

My Code is 212 Elvis

Leo
moon in Virgo, Mercury in Leo, Venus in Leo in Leo, Mars in Scorpio. Jupiter in Taurus, Saturn in Libra, Uranus in Cancer, Neptune in Libra, Pluto in Leo, (ah but what degrees)

That code produces a strong willed
\curmudgeon who enjoys being the center of attention (No really)
Big picture person often, over looks obvious details like house keys, spelling punctuation (Likely to fall over garden gnomes) Rather tactless, Loyal often stern & dour in ragrds to duty.
More interested in the details of others thoughts & actions than in entertainment. Intense when working with others problems & projects.
Generally not available in 99 cent stores though you me find me there looking at everything!

o

Tobr - olive or pearl onion?

(father enjoyed a martini now and then)

I'm a Scorpio, I have no idea if I have a moon or where it falls if I do - know nothing at all about it. Have never been in a 99 cent store although one of these days I've got to stop and see what all the fuss is about - know lots of people who have a ball in them.

My health is pretty good, I do agree with Jodi in that diet is pretty darn important in health, but I also think that if drugs are needed to assist the body in problems, unless the side effects are too great, one is better off taking them, in the long run, probably. My blood pressure is good but if it weren't - besides diet and exercise I would certainly take whatever pill prescribed and take it exactly as directed.

My BIL's father dropped dead at age 52 because he was convinced that diet/exercist could cure his high blood pressure and chloesterol, kept trying different things when a radical enough change needed didn't take place quickly enough - but refused to take the drugs necessary because he "didn't believe in that stuff" and natural was always better. Nothing can be certain, but he could very well be alive today had he taken the medication along with his lifestyle/diet changes.

Jodi, heres hoping today is one of your better days and you are comfortable.

Don Social, our Marshall, all members with health issues, I wish you well.

o

For elvis... a little Brautigan-ese entitled "Lint"

"I'm haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
I've been examining half-scraps of my childhood. They are pieces of distant life that have no form or meaning. They are things that just happened like lint."

note to self...Would you like an evisceration with that?

o

Yikes, Duluth. I think you should read a little Sylvia Plath just to cheer you up :0

o

The world is full of neurotic poets. I bet I'm one of the most cheerful people on the forum - and for reasons I don't fully understand.

o

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

o

I agree with your self assessment! I've noticed it before, as a matter of fact.

In here, I'm an irritable one. I get headaches from all my eye rolling.

o

Is that an Easter thing Mylab? I have heard of egg rolling as an Easter tradition and cheese rolling in Edam but eye rolling, that must be quite a spectacle.

o
therapy group

;)

On Easter morning I will have an eye rolling contest, all in honor of you!

o
RE: Group Eye Rolling

How cool is that?! In my opinion, I think that I am honored :)

o

Eye rolling? I don't think I've ever once rolled my eyes at anyone here. Just don't roll that way.

Labrea, your chart info makes sense.

I'd bet anyone that knows even a little of astrology would get mine right.

No meds for me at all, thank goodness, other than an occasional generic brand Prilosec, but I have conducted an experiment the last month and finally figured out what was giving me fits with the GERD--it was tea. Decaffeinated tea and water is about all I drink, pretty much have given up even the occasional Coca Cola (the real thing, not diet or zero).

Apparently the tannins have been the culprit.
I have read that milk in your tea binds the tannins, but that won't work for iced tea. Herbal teas such as roobios apparently have less tannins so those should be okay.

Regular weight lifting, walking, yoga/pilates and stretching helps immensely with back pain from a fused and rigid spine.

As Jodik mentioned, I believe in a healthy diet, free of processed foods and sugar, is best and it's working great for me, both in the way I feel and look right now. Happy Thinking leads to a better comportment. :)

I don't let this forum or much of anything upset me anymore; you have a deep enough tragedy that gets your attention and things you used to let take space in your brain and soul just aren't important. The only thing I get upset about is injustice and lies--even then, there is only so much a person can do.

I would hope coming to this forum would make us better people, but I fear that for many, the "e" is lost to an "I."

Peace and good health to forum friends.

o

Can I politely say that I am surprised at the number of people purporting to know all the ends and outs of group therapy?

Elvis, where do you see yourself on your list?

I dont, of course, see myself on this list. As a certified Cassandra I dont get listed.

o

Don does the spironolactone cause potassium conflicts. edd had a hell of a time with that drug. Curiously we found out it is also used by m tof trans persons to aide with feminization & supplementing female hormones.
I have co workers who mock my cheerfulness (purely business mask almost unctious) I am asthmatic and early use an inhaler I was on paxil for awhile to treat anxiety associated with Edds illness. Getting off it was a mess.
Oh I love eye rolling it's so Shirley Temple " oh my goodness"
No eye rolling in my family!

o

Well, anything Shirley did was charming.

I know people that took Paxil for help with their grief.
They both had a very difficult time getting off that drug, too.

I prefer bare back, no drugs.

o

Eye rolling is even more expressive when the eye roller inserts a finger into a dimple. I digress.

Pat, why are you surprised? Therapy is a good thing--usually. Where do I see my self on my list:

pollyanna, but secretly cynical
harmless fool, I suspect this happens often unless I'm realy cranky
denial, when I blame the crankiness on low blood sugar
clueless, usually on purpose
I take me waaay too seriously, far too often. Try to fix that with humor that is not always kind when directed at others or even to myself. Definitely not self deprecating though, never that.

o

I was coerced by private shrink friend as well as hospital staff & I surrendered it worked wonders with few side affects until I said ok 6 months is up back to chamomile tea. Wow the mood swings & sleep disturbance

o

I've never been in therapy, group or otherwise - unless staff meetings count. That was always much ado for the benefit of someone who really didn't care that much, but would, nonetheless, render an objective opinion.

Here is a link that might be useful: With two you get eye roll

o

Thanks for the link, Duluth. What next, aye?

o

I despise eye rolling too Demi,now a 'face palm' there's a gesture I could get behind.

o

Why, thank you, Mylab! I do feel a little better now! :-)

Aquarius... artistic, unique, eclectic, nonconforming, most comfortable in pajamas, laid back... if I sit too long, check my pulse! ;-)

Therapy of one kind or another can be very beneficial for certain persons, and for many reasons. The human mind is the least understood of all our human systems, but it is often very helpful to talk things out with an objective and knowledgeable therapist, or psychoanalyst, or psychiatrist.

Group therapy, I would imagine, is much different, and requires a different level of comfort. At least, that's how it would appear to me.

I've never had occasion, or reason, to seek out that sort of help... but there's no shame in admitting when help is needed... at least, there shouldn't be. We are not all built the same, and some of us need a little hand up, sometimes. Not all of us have lived the same life, either, and sometimes a little help is required to uncover or remove excess baggage. It shouldn't have any sort of stigma attached.

However, I would never consider the internet and its questionable offerings to be equated in any way with therapy, group or otherwise.

For every yea, there are an equal amount of nays... for every pro, there are an equal amount of cons... and for every piece of truth, one can find an equal amount of false or misleading information. The internet is a technological catchall for anything and everything, and without halfway decent research skills, can be quite useless. On the other hand, it serves positive purposes that those among previous generations could not have imagined.

So... it serves different purposes to different people. But I would never read half of what's written without common sense and a rather large grain of salt.

o

Your second to last paragraph pretty much sums up group therapy, Jodik.

o

The problem with group therapy is that without a moderator who does not endorse the opinions of the group in general it can rapidly make the participants believe their distortions of reality are in fact truth.

o

Ain't that the truth, Sleepless?

o

Does a moderator endorse? Does a moderated group generate more or better ideas than an unmoderated group?

Does a large number of participants become unmanageable; too small a number not produce a wide enough range of ideas?

o

I'm no expert; I hope somebody here has an educated opinion.

o

I wouldn't think the number of persons comprising the group mattered. But I would think that without a moderator or facilitator, the group would not have the benefit of knowledge that moderator brings to the group, not to mention the ideas Sleepless added.

It would be like a classroom of students without a teacher. The teacher is necessary, and not only keeps the group under control, but also teaches, adding knowledge.

I'm no expert, but some things are just common sense.

o

Jodik, seems common sense is a dying art. So what can be used in its place.

-Faux News
-MSNBC
-Newspaper - bite your tongue
-Google
-Dr Oz
-Dr Phil

o

But we were looking at "group therapy" as it pertains to the forum. Being dismissed with the old common sense chestnut was more than I expected but less than I hoped for.

Common sense is neither common nor sense if you think about it - why else do we as individuals do what we do and make the decisions we make?

o

The story has it that when Gurdjieff ran a group, not a therapy group per se, there was a character who had a habit of winding everybody up. One day they decided to get rid of him but as he was walking down the drive Gurdjieff ran after him and brought him back. It was later discovered that unlike all the others this guy was an employee. His job? You guessed it.

o

I don't see how group therapy can pertain to a public internet forum. We have no facilitator, most of us don't come here to get group therapy, and from a common sense outlook, it makes no sense.

What we're looking at is a group of persons, mostly divided on political and other issues, that come here to debate or discuss such subjects and current events that are considered rather controversial.

We don't come here to "get our minds straight", or because we're under court ordered duress to attend group therapy, or to open up to others about our addictions or personal problems.

A bit of the above may enter a conversation due to the subject matter, mostly in an anecdotal sense... but if a person is looking for real life help for serious problems, the internet probably isn't the place to go... unless you're looking up the credentials of a good group therapist.

o

Elvis, are you seeking a therapist?

o

elvis,

pollyanna, but secretly cynical
harmless fool, I suspect this happens often unless I'm realy cranky
denial, when I blame the crankiness on low blood sugar
clueless, usually on purpose
I take me waaay too seriously, far too often. Try to fix that with humor that is not always kind when directed at others or even to myself. Definitely not self deprecating though, never that.

You forgot forum Stalker. I have seen that description.

Urban Dictionary
It seems to be that the term 'stalker' no longer means what it used to mean--the pathological ANONYMOUS follower and tab-keeper of another person or persons (A detective who has not been hired and has no real reason to follow someone). The old definition also would say that a 'stalker' often has an imaginary connection with the stalkee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here