Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doonesbury

Posted by don_socal socal (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 23:14

Trudeau has said a lot in his comic strip this week...

Doonesbury this week in the news. Lots of articles.

The comics this week, click prev to go back to the 12th

Love a good comic strip, in our face irony personified.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doonesbury

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 23:36

It's great.

o

The LAT chickened out and has been running the TX abortion panels on the Op-Ed page.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 8:15

Oh my they are squeamishly wonderful. "With the power vested in me......I thee rape". Holy moly. The unspoken gets spoken. Trudeau does it again, and thanks for the link.

o

It's just too bad it didn't get run in the actual comics section of every paper that runs it.

o

"I thee rape" -- when I suggested similar wording a couple weeks ago on this forum, I was informed by certain posters that I was really out of line using such language. but what other word accurately describes a a forced penetration of a vagina, the woman having no choice in the matter? Name it like it is--you go, Trudeau!!!!!!

Kate

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 17, 12 at 10:12

They ran old Doonesbury strips in our paper. Gutless editors!

o

Kinda makes you realize freedom of the press isn't really that free... they remain obligated/beholden to their corporate and shareholder political opinion of choice through money and influence.

o

If you hold those cartoons up to the mirror you will see a picture of Mohammed lurking, apparently this is what they were afraid of.

o

Did the papers that moved it to the op-ed page at least put something on the comic page to direct those that wanted to read it to that section?

It's great stuff. Says it like it is! Good for Trudeau.

o

Doonesbury got moved to the op-ed page in my local paper a couple of years ago. It runs alongside "Prickly City", a "conservative" strip done by the paper's former editorial cartoonist. Prickly City is a pale, pale comparison to Doonesbury. No real comparison at all.

Oh, and my paper chickened out, too. Even though it would be on the op-ed page. The strips running in its place are reruns of the two kids sitting in the cafe texting and losing track of time.

So, I see Louisiana and Birmingham, Alabama chickened out. Anyone else?

o

The strips running in its place are reruns of the two kids sitting in the cafe texting and losing track of time.

That's what has been in the L.A. Times comics section with no notice that the current Doonesbury is on the Op-Ed page. On the Op-Ed page there's this note: Because of the subject matter of this week's Doonesbury cartoons, The Times has elected not to publish them on the comics page.

Prickly City is carried on the comics page, as is La Cucaracha which is usually very political. Today's target is Joe Arpaio aka Birther Sheriff Joe.

o

How terribly politically correct of them... so, basically, our Constitution is fast becoming just another useless piece of paper saved because of its age, not its contents.

o

Confusing Constitutional protection of freedom expression from government interference versus societal standards coming "protect" society from seeing or hearing sensitive content.

o

It's probably too easy of a solution... so easy that those who are easily offended by political cartoons wouldn't even think of it... but if you don't care for Doonesbury, don't read it... you know? Then, the rest of us who aren't easily offended could enjoy it.

o

But Jodi you would have to read it first before you could decide. What we are talking about here is censorship where a newspaper cuts out someones work because they fear it will interfere with sales.

o

"How terribly politically correct of them... so, basically, our Constitution is fast becoming just another useless piece of paper saved because of its age, not its contents."

So, if you don't like the decisions a private corporation makes, start your own corporation or print your own newspaper. Who's stopping you?

The Constitution is not compromised because private companies decide not to run a cartoon.

Good Grief!

o

My major local paper didn't run the strip in the print version, not even on the editorial page, but it was available online. I disagree with their decision and think it should have been in the front page national news section.

A doctor wrote an anonymous guest post on a blog stating her/his objections to the law. It's worth reading the whole post. The law is in practice attempting to force physicians to compromise the Hippocratic oath. This should be front page news.

"In all of the discussion and all of the outrage and all of the Doonesbury comics, I find it interesting that we physicians are relatively silent.

After all, it�s our hands that will supposedly be used to insert medical equipment (tools of HEALING, for the sake of all that is good and holy) into the vaginas of coerced women.

Fellow physicians, once again we are being used as tools to screw people over. This time, it�s the politicians who want to use us to implement their morally reprehensible legislation. They want to use our ultrasound machines to invade women�s bodies, and they want our hands to be at the controls. Coerced and invaded women, you have a problem with that? Blame us evil doctors. We are such deliciously silent scapegoats.

It is our responsibility, as always, to protect our patients from things that would harm them. Therefore, as physicians, it is our duty to refuse to perform a medical procedure that is not medically indicated. Any medical procedure. Whatever the pseudo-justification.

It�s time for a little old-fashioned civil disobedience.

Here is a link that might be useful: where is the physician outrage?

o

I read it, and I wasn't the least bit offended... everyone has a different sense of humor, a different take on life.

But it's a well known fact that certain cartoonists use their talents to expose the darkness in our world... Doonesbury is one of those. It should come as no surprise to people that current events would show up even in "the funnies"... that's just a logical progression of events.

I know... it's just your average kowtowing to corporate will.

o

"So, if you don't like the decisions a private corporation makes, start your own corporation or print your own newspaper. Who's stopping you?" Think about this in light of the News Corp goings on to see just how ridiculous it is.

I am sure there are some legitimate objections to the way Trudeau tackled this news item but where are they? Censoring edgy cartoons is not the way forward, in a democracy it is the to and fro of opinions that energizes and censorship that stunts its growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here