Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NCAA tourny - disgusting display

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 15, 12 at 23:29

During their school's NCAA Tournament game against Kansas State University today, members of the Southern Mississippi University band chanted, "Where's your green card?" at a Puerto Rican Kansas State player. Kansas State guard Angel Rodriguez, who was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico and played high school basketball in Miami, Florida, was fouled while shooting during the first half of today's game in Pittsburgh. As Rodriguez stepped to the foul line, the chants, reportedly started by Southern Miss band members, began.
---------------------

I find this so disgusting. College kids playing out their dream. And to be subjected to this kind of taunting because of one's ethnic background. Despicable. What is happening to this country?

Here is a link that might be useful: You call this good sportsmanship?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NCAA tourny - disgusting display

I call that a missing part of the Pelosi Duck u metary & I'm glad it finally came to light.

o

Our education dollars at work. Disgusting.

o

Since when does one need a green card when they're from Puerto Rico? Or don't they teach that sort of thing in school anymore?

Good sportsmanship? Please. Not in some areas, and not in some climates, politically speaking. The prejudice is enough to make one vomit.

o

Racists don't care about the facts jodik.

o

I can't believe the coach or band director didn't step up and stop that.

o

I don't know much about basketball but seems the refs could have done something if the Miss. coach or band leader was too stupid to stop it or that the Kansas coach would have complained.

o

Speaking of Puerto Rico, guess who wants English made a mandatory language change to bring the island group in as a state? Your strange folks of the GOP, that's who.

As if. Spanish has always been spoken there, though some folks do speak English... but I wasn't aware they even want to become a state. I think they're split on the idea... and who would blame the islands if they didn't want to become a state? At this point, I'd be wary, myself...

o

Jodi said what I was going to. I have PR friend who went out with some idiot that asked her when she was going to obtain her citizenship. DUH! They didn't go out again, needless to say. Too bad those chanting idiots didn't know better not to chant, or that they were wrong... wrong on so many levels.

o

Nothing like being ignorant and loud about it.

From what I read, most Puerto Ricans want to keep the status quo and remain a Commonwealth. But some want statehood for reasons of wanting to vote and to get increased federal funding. And some want independence, arguing that national pride and complete autonomy would be worth the growing pains of a new nation that is not supported by Federal aid.

They enjoy all the benefits of citizenship, save one: Puerto Ricans who live in Puerto Rico cannot vote for the U.S. President in the general elections. They do, however, send delegates to the national conventions.

o

How can someone not know, in this day and age, that the US still maintains Commonwealths, and that one of them is Puerto Rico? That might just be why you don't need a passport to visit. Several countries maintain Commonwealths. It's very common... no pub intended.

As to the OP... yes, nothing like shouting out that ignorance loud and proud! Good grief!

o

Well - even here in the contiguous US. Massachusetts, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Virginia are referred to as "Commonwealths" But since these states had to ratify the Constitution in order to be admitted to the Union, the use of the term "Commonwealth" is historic and has no meaning politically or judicially. Here it really is just a synonym for "State."

Maybe someone at the Southern Mississippi Univ. will sit the student body down and give them a civics lesson... throw in some ideas as to what it means to be decent human beings. Not a big believer in karma assuming losing a basketball game has anything to do with karma at all

o

And something similar happened in Texas at high school game. The fact that these racial slurs are made at schools (of all places!) where they should know just because someone has brown skin doesn't preclude them from being Americans. Americans have every color.

What kind of education are these groups obtaining?

Here is a link that might be useful: CBS news-

o

I have a friend who was almost denied boarding on the first leg of a flight to Puerto Rico because she didn't have her passport with her. The gate agent didn't know that it wasn't necessary.

o

Unfortunately this is not new behavior for college age sports fans... While it was not a racist incident as this most recent case was, I remember the chants that Arizona State University students directed to one of my favorite college and NBA players of all time.

In 1984 the President of the American University in Beirut, Malcolm Kerr, was murdered by militants that were unhappy that the school existed in "their" territory.

Two days later his son, Steve Kerr, a freshman at the University of Arizona, played in a basketball game on ASU's home court only to be taunted by chants of "PLO" (Palestinian Liberation Organization) and "Where's your dad?"

I remember well seeing this game and being mortified that people could be so uncaring and vicious...

Steve ended up having one of the best games of his college career that evening fueled in part by the ASU student body's horrible taunts.

He went on to participate on 5 championship NBA teams and finished his career with (I think still) the best 3 point shooting average of any NBA player in history.

I don't believe that in general "kids" are worse now than they've ever have been. Youth, hormones and sports fanaticism have been a explosive mix for many years..

o

I don't question the amount of anecdotal "evidence" that might be out there. Maybe I'm older than you, huachuma, but it just seems that now people/kids are exposed to more hurtful and hateful ways to express themselves than we could ever even have imagined.

o

There are some who's knuckles are still dragging the ground - they can't help it, it's in their nature.

o

This is obviously anecdotal again, but my teenage kids have it much better than I ever did. My childhood was like a cross between "Our Gang" and "South Park".

We were bunch of hoodlums running around doing things that would get you time in juvenile hall these days. Afraid to go to school because that bully was going to threaten you with a knife again today... Adults turning a blind eye to child molesters and wife beaters because they didn't want to get involved...

...and this was all in rural Minnesota, Duluth...

Just as I don't subscribe to the idea of "The Good Old Days" that some conservatives believe in, I also don't think that things are significantly worse today.

There's definitely more media coverage of disturbing news these days, and that contributes to the perception that things are going to heck.

I'm actually fairly optimistic that after all the old white men die off (I consider myself one!) things will get much better; today's kids in general seem much more tolerant than my generation did and more likely to claw their way out this cycle of man's inhumanity to man.

I'm not blind to all the crap that is happening around me, but I can always hope...

o

"As to the OP... yes, nothing like shouting out that ignorance loud and proud! Good grief!"

There are all kinds of ignoramuses around, like the kind that think Muslims and Jews follow the teachings of Jesus...can you believe in this day and age?

o

Paulines, over and over you prove yourself to be just another take on Maddie.....

o

And I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to *constantly* comment on my posts, but have yet to say *one word* to maddie. A little bias there Chase?

In any event, makes no difference to me. Ignorance is ignorance. And whether people are dumb (or racist) enough to carry on as they did at this basketball game or make unfounded and negative comments about Jews or Muslims on a messageboard, it's all the same ilk.

o
RE: Furthermore...

It occurred to me Chase that you must have read the thread(s) I referenced, as you seemingly got the connection.

Do you understand how those comments are no different than the comments highlighted in this OP? Perhaps I give you too much credit, but I don't think so.

o

The comment made was not even remotely similar to the ones referenced in this OP in my mind.

Not that I care to explain myself to you but I have commented several times in the past when I thought Maddie had crossed the line. For my own reasons,I choose not to anymore.

o

There were several comments made Chase. I don't want to rehash the discussion, but suffice to say one comment in particular was offensive and came from someone who admitted to knowing nothing about the situation. Ignorant slurs or dumb offensive comments...I don't see a difference.

Interesting how you choose not to comment with maddie. Please feel free to do the same with me.

o

If you choose to comment on every "dumb offensive comment" made on this forum you'll be very busy posting.

For my part I will choose to respond to whichever posts or threads I wish.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 18, 12 at 1:42

Whatever all that was about, I'd like to say I agree with

>There's definitely more media coverage of disturbing news these days, and that contributes to the perception that things are going to heck.

I'm actually fairly optimistic that after all the old white men die off (I consider myself one!) things will get much better; today's kids in general seem much more tolerant than my generation did and more likely to claw their way out this cycle of man's inhumanity to man<

o

I get it now Chase and I appreciate your concern over my time management.

This OP, *deservedly*, got 15 or more posts expressing disgust and outrage, including my own. In other threads equally (in my opinion) offensive remarks remain unaddressed, especially those slamming religion(s).

I think I'll continue to speak up. Have a nice day.

o

Maybe you 2 would like to clue the rest of us in on what you're talking about?

Otherwise...
I'm actually fairly optimistic that after all the old white men die off (I consider myself one!) things will get much better; today's kids in general seem much more tolerant than my generation did and more likely to claw their way out this cycle of man's inhumanity to man

I so hope you are right (well, not about the dying off part). But, these were college kids chanting this. That is why it worries me. Now, the question is, did they all really feel this way? Or did one moron start it and everyone was afraid to not go along? I don't know but I find it very disturbing. Unfortunately, there is still a lot of racism in this country. And it's usually learned from one's parents.

o

"Maybe you 2 would like to clue the rest of us in on what you're talking about?"

I'd be happy to Jill. Actually, the funny thing is you unwittingly 'got it' and this says it all;

"Or did one moron start it and everyone was afraid to not go along? I don't know but I find it very disturbing."

Certain folks here think it's ok to make offensive and/or stupid remarks about religion(s) and apparently either those kind of remarks are sanctioned by the crowd here OR other posters are afraid to/can't be bothered speaking up. I find myself flying solo too many times to count, especially when Jews are slammed (simply because I am able to better construct a somewhat knowledgable defense) and you're spot on, it's disturbing.

That's it in a nutshell. Thought it was inline with your OP and a good time to bring it up.

o

I'm interested in these posts you say that "Jews are slammed". I have not been here that long, but I have never seen that. Certainly possible I missed it or it was before I was reading regularly, but am interested in seeing those posts. Being Jewish (culturally, don't believe in God), I am interested in the posts you are referring to. Please enlighten me.

o

Jill, some have taken offense if anything is mentioned critical of Isreali policies.

One participant was recently called anti-Semitic for posting articles regarding actions by the Israeli government that are easily found in any major newspaper.

I'm still ashamed of myself for not coming to his defense.

o

Nothing to do with policies and everything to do with attitude nancy, as I see it.

Do you agree that suicide bombings and rocket launches are a "nuisance"? As I see it, these are offensive actions that have and continue to kill, maim and terrorize and at the very least, should be recognized for that. Surely you can understand this has nothing to do with policy, only many innocent people.

Sorry Jill, you'll have to do get enlightened on your own. I suggest you start with the 'eye for an eye' thread on mid page 2, my personal not favorite.

o

Thanks, Nancy. I found and read the entire post. I had read the OP and the 1st few responses when it was first posted, but given that my position on Israel is very much not what people expect from me given that I am Jewish, I tend to stay out of those arguments and didn't return to the post. Have had too many uncomfortable conversations about that. I discuss with my husband and my in-laws (also Jewish) because we feel the same way. I don't even discuss with my side of the family because we have a strong difference of opinion.

I do feel the need to state my opinion on the poster that mentioned following the teaching of Jesus. While I found it unusual that someone wouldn't know the Jewish position on Jesus (so to speak), I did not find it offensive in any way. I certainly didn't perceive it as a slam against Jews.

Who knew this is the direction this post would turn...

o

Oh goody, you found it jill. I also found that unusual, moreso ignorant than offensive. BUT, right here is that same poster pontificating on others' ignorance. Whatever.

The reference to the rockets as a nuisance though, that to me IS very offensive. And the list goes on.

I'm of middle eastern descent and it's always a hard topic (that and animals) for me to discuss without emotion. Everyone has their hot button, right?

o
RE: chirp

Got real quiet around here suddenly.

o

Pauline, I believe someone has posted - probably more than once - the number of Palestinian casualties versus the number of Israeli casualties.

While even one - on either side - is one casualty too many, many can do the math.

That has been the point of what others have posted - be it the IDF bombing of Lebanon in 2006 with the intent of destroying its infrastructure, or the sustained bombing of the Gazan civilian population in 2009 during Operation Cast Lead, or the attack on the Mavi Maramara in 2010.

o

Jill meets Jack: "HiJack!"

And now, back to the subject:

Unfortunately, there is still a lot of racism in this country. And it's usually learned from one's parents.

Patterns. They're all learned before the age of 6.

Statement by Southern Miss President Saunders:

"We deeply regret the remarks made by a few students at today's game. The words of these individuals do not represent the sentiments of our pep band, athletic department or university. We apologize to Mr. Rodriguez and will take quick and appropriate disciplinary action against the students involved in this isolated incident."

I'm willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of today's kids are not like this but, "isolated incident"? Certainly not.

o

Ha! Going to assume it's the beautiful day!

Yes, everyone has their hot buttons. For a lot here including me, it's the current attack on women.

There's a difference between ignorance of a culture's beliefs and chanting/stating/promoting racial comments. They are not comparable in my view.

I guess I don't find offensive the reference of rockets as a nuisance. I am not arguing with your view and your right to feel that way. Just saying it's not offensive to me.

We in this country are very lucky to not have to live in that type of environment (where rockets can be launched towards you at any moment). It is hard to fathom what that must be like. I think those that live in that environment become conditioned to it. I have a co-worker that is Israeli. She lives here (USA) with her family (husband, 3 children), but the rest of her family lives in Israel (parents, sibilings and all in-laws). She was there visiting once a few years ago when rockets were being launched in both directions. I was a nervous wreck for her. To her, it was not that big a deal. It amazed me.

My husband's mother is of middle eastern descent also. His father is european descent. The parents were not happy when they decided to marry. To them, it was a "mixed marriage". Luckily, in short order, they all came to love each other. Amazing to me that there was prejudice even among Jews back then.

o

So I guess we characterize Israel's actions in the Gaza a bigger nuisance or a nuisance with better aim and call it a day.

o
RErerere: NCAA tourny - disgusting display

maddie, thanks for posting the follow-up. Good to see they seem to be taking it seriously.

o
RE: silly rabbit

Jill, you got in the way there, my last post was directed towards Nancy.

o

Pauline, I remember the exchanges here during Operation Cast Lead -- and the posts about the IDF bombing the warehouse where the UN had food and medical supplies, the number of civilians killed in Gaza, and the extraordinary number of children who were killed. It took almost a full thread, but finally, near the end, you admitted remorse about the death of the Gazan children. I'm not about to search for those comments, but you had a very hard time to acknowledge the disproportionate response of the IDF. I've took this as your general unwillingness to recognize any wrong doing by the IDF. I think you also wholeheartedly defended the attack on the Mavi Marmara and supported the disproven IDF narrative. So I mostly leave it to others to directly counter your claims and your hasbara comments.

You may have the last word.

o

Jill, yer welcome. It remains to be seen what the outcome will be, though, we'll see how serious they'll take it...

In other news, the ex-Rutgers student who harassed and spied on Tyler Clementi has been found guilty of hate crimes:

Here is a link that might be useful: Justice.

o

Let's get one thing straight Nancy. One death is one too many, moreso when the victim is a child. Did you happen to note that victims of the rocket launches include 2 Palestinean girls ages 5 and 12, killed when the rocket misfired? No outrage, just silence when I posted that.

What has happened then and continued on the many 'bad Israel' threads, was a lack of balance and fairness and convenient dismissal of the years of violence against the Israeli people.

Yes, there's a distinct lack of understanding and compassion for the Israeli people around here. Since when is it ok to sanction disapproval for a people because of the actions of their government? Perhaps you and ink and others could give that some consideration.

Ink's use of the word 'nuisance' and your defense of that characterization and inane insistance that more Palestineans have been killed leaves me shaking my head.

o

Update:

Five Southern Miss Students Disciplined For Racist Chant
Southern Mississippi University announced today that it would revoke the scholarships of five members of the college's pep band after they led a bigoted chant during an NCAA basketball tournament game last Thursday. The students, who have not been identified, chanted, "Where's your green card?" at Kansas State basketball player Angel Rodriguez, who was born in Puerto Rico, during a free throw attempt. The university's president apologized for the incident after the game. In addition to the loss of scholarships, the five students have been removed from the pep band and will be required to complete a course on cultural sensitivity.

Good for them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Update

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here