Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Legislators and Preferential Treatment

Posted by fouquieria 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 2:39

Well this story has been going around the Internet about a Florida state legislator, Charles McBurney. Apparently the legislator and his wife were stopped for speeding and not having their car insurance papers with them. They also had custom plates that identified them as a state legislator.

So this legislator vermin gets the trooper fired for giving him (the vermin) preferential treatment by not giving him a speeding ticket and only a $10 fine for not having his insurance papers. This....AFTER the trooper radios his supervisor and gets the OK to only ticket the vermin with the $10 fine.

And here's the kicker....the vermin INSISTS he wasn't speeding and had his insurance papers in the vehicle.

As far as preferential treatment goes stop the vanity plates. And how in the world can someone just make a phone call and get a state employee fired like this?

Florida voters, wake up!

By the way, this vermin was GOP but it could have been the other party too.

-Ron-

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Legislators and Preferential Treatment

Unfortunately, money and power through position carry influence and are, apparently, supposed to instill fear in those lower on the social and economic totem pole... to the point where some people literally get away with murder.

We once had a thread on something involving Walmart, and the story of Alice Walton was brought up... a documented repeat offender of DUI who was actually never charged, though one of her DUI episodes resulted in the death of another motorist.

Why our elected officials or those with wealth, or those with other position, should be immune to the same laws everyone else is required to follow is something I will never understand.

Were I the officer involved, I would have stuck to the oath I took and issued the appropriate tickets. There are legal organizations that one can turn to in cases of corruption.

o

We have episodes of this in RI for traffic violations and DUIs by legislators but have not heard of any firings...

o

If his supervisor approved it, how could they fire the policeman for doing it. I hope the cop gets a good lawyer and I am not usually a fan of "fight everything out in court."

o

Personally, I think he AND his supervisor should be fired.

o

I grew up with my dad being who he was and I never got a traffic ticket. I would never have presumed, however, to fire someone if I had gotten one. It's a perk, not an expectation.

o

Even city council members get preferential treatment.

Zack Reed, Cleveland, OH, 3 DUI violations and is still a councilman and not in jail and given preferential treatment by police department.

o

I was coming back from a duck hunting trip a few years ago, a truck full of sleepy people, and we were pulled over by the state patrol. The driver, who worked for the state, started dropping names. And the patrol officer threw the book at him - cracked tail light, obscured license plate, etc

o

Brush, even regular citizens are often driving around with more than 2 or 3 DUI convictions on their records. I don't know what the deal is... overcrowded jails? Too much plea bargaining? Too many favors being done at various levels?

I don't know... but it does look suspiciously like our Justice system doesn't really work as it should, does it?

o

Ya but be a black young male with an ounce of MJ and lookout!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here