Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Furor" over Michelle Obama's scheduled commencement speech

Posted by heri_cles (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 2:52

Actually, just some racists in Kansas who are setting the worst example for students.

Here is a link that might be useful: These people aren't racists they just hate the Obamas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Furor" over Michelle Obama's scheduled commencement speech

So these kids can either say with pride that “The First Lady of the United States spoke at my graduation from high school” or they can “My mother managed to get a speech by the First Lady of the United States cancelled for my graduation from high school so that my Aunt Martha could get a seat and watch me accept a diploma.”

For what it’s worth, I’ve been to plenty of graduations where seats are limited. What’s the big deal? When I graduated from college, I had four tickets total.

o

When my daughter received her first master's degree at OSU, GWB was the speaker. It was very inconvenient for visitors. Security required a 4 hour start for 72,000 of us to get to our seats.

Some people complain about waiting 4 hours to vote, but we wanted to witness our daughter's recognition so the "inconvenience" was worth it.

Neither the guest speaker nor the university staff speakers impressed me or interested me. I was there to honor my daughter's accomplishments, not them.

o

Mike Wallace spoke at my graduation from grad school, which of course did not require the kind of security of which you speak, brush. My guests were actually impressed with having a man of his stature (at the time) as a speaker.

BTW, the university had so many grads/unergrads that it took 45 minutes to just get them all marched across campus into the stadium and meant closing off city streets, also an inconvenience.

Also BTW, while I was no GWB supporter, I would have thought it was pretty special to have the POTUS speak at my graduation.

o

A politician of any kind doesn't impress me at a graduation ceremony.

A Bill Cosby or Neil Armstrong. Yes.

o

No one ever remembers those graduation speakers, but they have them anyway. At least Michelle would be memorable as a speaker--and hopefully she wouldn't drone on for an hour. I wish there had been a speaker like Michelle at any of my graduations--I might remember that occasion--instead of all the graduations blending together.

I do remember almost fainting at one--the heat got to me. That's all I remember about that graduation.

Kate

o

Yes, people do remember the speakers.

A US president gave my undergrad commencement address. It was a major foreign policy speech. it had nothing to do with graduating, our class or even our school.

I remember my graduation day well. Having the president speak was a major negative to that day.

o
RE: "Furor" over Michelle Obama's scheduled commencemen

I guess some of you may have missed the fact that the Obamas were invited to speak and that it was for a particular purpose:

"officials (at the school) asked the president or first lady to speak at graduation as a tie-in with the anniversary of the Brown decision, which outlawed school segregation. The district plans to place a priority on seating students and their families, and could broadcast the event to an overflow room at a hotel adjacent to the graduation arena for those unable to find a seat inside. Some people have said bringing in the first lady politicizes the graduation. Others have suggested that if she wants to mark the Brown anniversary, she could just visit the historic site that commemorates the decision, which is just few blocks from the graduation venue."

If she wants to mark the Brown anniversary?? LOL.
It sounds like these people would have that Court decision reversed if they could.
And no, having George Bush appear anywhere to say anything is not relevant to this discussion. That would be a complete waste of time and I am sure that it was. Bush, from all accounts, was a prankster and a drunken fool while in college and for years thereafter. Sorry to be so blunt about Bush, but bringing that up as some sort of justification for opposing the speech marking the Brown decision is just cheap and deserves ridicule.

A US president gave my undergrad commencement address. It was a major foreign policy speech

Sorry but I seriously doubt that any President would give a "major foreign policy speech" at a high school graduation ceremony.

Wow.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 8:29

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 8:41

I went to commuter-U, often at night, and skipped the ceremony meant to pick up everyone who'd finished classes in the past few months. One local dignitary, strictly for the kids and probably mostly their families.

Given the experiences some here have had, I sympathize with those who want their children's graduation to be about them, not about a first lady or even about honoring Brown v. BOE.

That said, if presidents and other top officials only came to venues large enough not to inconvenience locals, virtually all of America would become strictly fly-over for those many already love to regard as out-of-touch and uncaring elites.

JMC01, do you think colleges learned anything from that type of disgraceful presidential behavior and started requiring agreements on topics? In any case, I imagine Michelle can be trusted to remember that this gathering is to honor the achievements of these particular young people.

o

Hericles, FYI - Undergrad = college.

And in case you hadn't noticed, even though you chose to point this out a second time...school officials issued the invitation. students and families did not.

o

Posted by heri_cles (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 2:52

"Actually, just some racists in Kansas who are setting the worst example for students."

"Racists" where? This isn't about race, it's about the hassle of having this high profile person inconvenience the heck out of the graduates and their families.

Yeesh. That's not a nice word to toss around casually. Why not save it for an appropriate opportunity instead.

o

I don't really know what is going on in Topeka, but as a resident of this neon-red state, I wouldn't be surprised to find out at least part of the objection is that Michelle is a Democrat representing her husband who stands for ACA, partly that she is a non-white Democrat representing her half non-white husband, and partly due to the inconvenience.

If the speaker were one of the Bushes, I honestly don't think there would be even half the fuss.

Simple fact is that the many of the Topeka residents are glad to have an excuse (graduation) to ignore the historic date of school desegregation. That is not something to celebrate for many of them.

Kate

o

There certainly is no indication from the link that the issue is racially motivated. I don't think any of us are in a position to judge the motivation one way or another based on what information is available.

I would be interested in knowing what the majority of the students and families think. The petition, if indeed all the signatures are parents....is a fairly small percentage.

It is interesting to me that Mrs Obama has spoken at many, many commencements in her 5 + years in the WH and seemed to welcomed warmly.

Before I would jump to racism, I would think it was political....as Kate says this is not a Democrat friendly State.

o

I would be happy to have had a president (any of them) give an address at my commencement. It would have convinced me to attend. Who was the president JMC?

o

I agree, Frank. I would consider it a great privilege to have ANY president speak even if I disagreed with him/her. It’s not every day that one gets an opportunity to be in the presence of a president.

Would I mutter about inconvenience? Probably. But the privilege would outweigh the inconvenience.

o

Suppose it could have been Kennedy's "Strategy of Peace" commencement address at American University in '63.

Usually it's the "world is your oyster", "the world awaits the gifts you can bring it", "over the many roads you'll travel"...

o

One cannot say in reading this article that the students are protesting......but rather a few students and a few parents are protesting.

o

I think the students need to get over themselves. If I could participate in something as significant as a speech to commemorate such a important event in America and that speech would be by some one as classy as Michelle Obama it would make the banality of graduating a little more special. You don't actually have to have done anything special to graduate from High school Being alive will just about do it. But if you are black or surrounded by blacks graduating with an actual education then that is something when you consider how hard so many people made that in the past. That is something to celebrate.

o

My law school class voted to ask Garrison Keeler to be our commencement speaker, to the consternation of some of the faculty. We were a laid-back group of students. It was a great commencement.

o

Well, I happen to think that the Wichita School board made a bone-headed decision to combine all five high schools' commencements and then to make it a tribute to Brown v. Board of Education. Let each high school have their own commencement. I can't imagine how long it will take for graduating seniors from all the schools to get their diplomas. And, it also limits the number of people who can attend.

The commencement ceremony should be focused on the achievement of the graduates, not on Brown. I think a tribute to Brown is a good idea, and Michelle Obama giving the speech commemorating it a good choice, but it should be separate from a high school commencement ceremony.

o

Let the national politicians and their families do college commencements, not high schools. Armed security along with SS people. Really?

The security alone is just over the top for a high school event. Let Aunt Elsie attend, what's the big deal?

You want to see Michelle? Then go to a campaign event and donate for the privilege.

The article I read is correct. This is for the KIDS, not an outlet for some policy statements by Washington!

o

Let the school districts (kids, parents, administrators) decide for themselves instead of us butting in and telling them what to do.

My understanding is that a majority of the locals decided to invite Michelle as part of their recognition of the anniversary of the famous school desegregation case. That was something the locals wanted to do.

So a handful of locals did not want to celebrate school desegregation and object to a famous woman coming to the graduation ceremonies. They got out-voted (that is called democracy), and no matter how much they throw tantrums and hold their breaths because they didn't get their own way, the majority of locals want to celebrate both Brown v. Board of Education AND the graduation of their relative AND the famous person who will address the graduating class.

And having heard Michelle speak on other occasions, I bet she will be down to earth and include lots of the future is yours, go gettum type of advice--which, after all, is what Brown v. Board of Education was all about--giving EVERYBODY (including minorities) the opportunity to build a better future.

Kate

o

It looks like that may be their intention.

Here is a link that might be useful: More Than 1,750 Sign Petition Against Michelle Obama’s HS Commencement Speech ��

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 12:09

First a newsyahoo.com article and now Beck's theblaze.com, both insisting right at top that racism is not a factor? Silly and facile. We all know that's an ingredient in this stew, just how much is the question.

The parents probably most of them came into this already displeased with this depersonalized five-school ceremony in a hired arena that is both too large and not large enough.

And I think Dublin has to be right. In addition to those who hate mixing the races and some suffering from focused Obama derangement syndrome, there is probably a block who just don't want their kids' graduation theme to be something so uncomplimentary to Kansas as Brown v. BOE. Sure, that the decision was a victory most would agree with, BUT the bad guys, the segregationist Board of Education, was Kansan.

Then you have the majority who are either for her appearance or silent, and who knows what they think. My guess would be that most do want this one-ceremony-is-cheaper-than-five event made more distinguished, and exciting, by the First Lady. Once they know there'll be room to attend themselves.

o

I think that the kids would end up regretting it in the long run if they do not allow her to speak.

This reminds me of the furor raised a couple of years back by FoxNews over Barack Obama's message to students. Tea Party members threatened to pull students out of schools if they allowed teachers to show the message to students. I was told that I could not show it to a class by the superintendent of the school. It ended up to be a motivational speech (as I expected), a rather bland one at that, about achievement, not the indoctrination that people (Republicans) were expecting. I did not show it on the day of the speech. I showed it the day after.

o

brush, do you know whether the 1750 were from the area being affected? Or just anybody could get on the bandwagon?

o

They certainly aren't political at this age, and race would not be an issue for them.

Why do you think race would not be an issue for them? If a family is racist, by the time the children are high school seniors, they have usually learned those racist ways very well.

Note, I have no idea if this petition is racially motivated. I just want to point out that high school seniors have had more than enough time to learn racism from their parents.

o

As far as I can see, the petition is online and anybody in the entire world (if they have online access) can sign it.

In addition, the petition is NOT in a "furor" over Michelle as speaker. What it is protesting is the 5 in 1 commencement. It asks that they all be held separately at the originally scheduled times and that some means be taken to show Michelle's speech at ALL the graduations--which should be easy to accomplish in this day and age!

The link to that online petition came from the Glenn Beck site that somebody above posted. Beck claims that the petition creators (Topeka HS seniors) were upset that Michelle would take all the attention away from the graduates and they would be crushed at being reduced to nothing. So instead of a famous speaker enhancing the occasion and making it more memorable, Beck thinks a famous speaker diminishes everybody else.

I always knew Beck wore his thinking cap inside out and he has proved it once again.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: The Petition

o

brush, do you know whether the 1750 were from the area being affected?

With signatures from Boswell, IN, Louisville, KY, Omaha, NE and other areas around the country it doesn't seem so. Anyone can sign that petition.

o

How insulting to the FLOTUS this ridiculous nonsense is. When people talk about the loss of common dignity and the lack of respect for others in this country, here’s a good example. She was asked to speak, she accepted, and now she is being treated with insults.

As for the petition: So if I live in Palm Beach or Nairobi or Darfur, I get to add to my 2 cents as to whether she speaks in Kansas or not? The petition just gives the haters another opportunity to join a pointless “crusade.”

o

I fail to see how anybody can even remotely connect not wanting Mrs Obama tying up the ceremony with not wanting to celebrate Brown v Board of Education.

Any more than her being there does support the ruling.

Do you people make this stuff up?

o

Wake, rather than "you people" perhaps you could address your question to the one or two people that made any connection to Brown?

Or are you going to be another who thinks that every liberal speaks for every other liberal?

o

Pidge,

I didn't post anything about 1,750 or anything about a petition.

Pay attention. :)

o

Sorry, brush--I saw the initial “b” in the baron’s name and wrongly ascribed the comment to you instead of her.

o

I fail to see how anybody can even remotely connect not wanting Mrs Obama tying up the ceremony with not wanting to celebrate Brown v Board of Education.

The objections are not relegated to inconvenience and in many cases they are insulting and ignorant.

o

heri, there was nothing in that article to suggest what you are suggesting...is there another article?

The fact that the school board is the one that extended the invitation to Mrs Obama AND that it was the school board that suggested the link to Brown makes it very unfair for anyone to try and make this about Mrs Obama trying to make a political statement.

I

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 16:33

Tea/Wake, whomever, can address his complaint to me. It would be one thing if he had suggested those connections would surely be so minor and mild to almost not count compared to other motivations. We are all of us usually bundles of various motivations, often conflicting.

To insist, though, that no one would dislike B v. BOE as the theme of their child's graduation and that he does not think Michelle's presence will indicate support of the ruling (!--perhaps he misstated?) are absolute statements totally lacking in credibility. Blinkered thinking a bit?

o

When all is said and done, once the invitation has been issued, it would be extremely rude and in poor taste to rescind it. Perhaps a vote from the students before hand would have made better sense. I doubt anyone considered that they might not want to share their day in this way. There was no racism involved in this in any way. But it should be done and done and everyone should show the respect that the first lady deserves.

o

Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 20:00

Ah, yes. I see it now--MsKjun was peculiarly unable to see racism anywhere -- in this world, definitely a signature characteristic.

o

From anything I've read it is a very few of the hundreds of graduates that are concerned with the First Lady making the commencement speech , never mind what it is about.

Just a bunch of zealots on both sides trying to make this into something it's not.

o

From anything I've read it is a very few of the hundreds of graduates that are concerned with the First Lady making the commencement speech , never mind what it is about.

Just a bunch of zealots on both sides trying to make this into something it's not.

o

heri, there was nothing in that article to suggest what you are suggesting...is there another article?

Oh come on.

From the article:
"Some people have said bringing in the first lady politicizes the graduation. Others have suggested that if she wants to mark the Brown anniversary , she could just visit the historic site that commemorates the decision...:"

So tell me Chase, why are they suggesting that the First Lady is the one who wants to commemorate the anniversary of Brown vs. Board ? How would a Civil Rights anniversary or Michelle herself "politicize" the commencement? How often do you see petitions circulated in order to prevent a President or First Lady or even a Senator from giving a commencement address? So what is different about the First Lady? Care to venture a guess?

So after inviting the First Lady to commemorate the anniversary of a seminal moment in Civil Rights for black Americans they circulate a petition to tell her to commemorate this on her own time and in her own place? And look around on the internet to see websites like the Blaze, Hannity, Fox News, Breitbart and Tbag sites foaming over with racism denial.

And I am sorry but I have to tell you, it is curious that you agree with the extreme Right and rise up with them in defense of this despicable stunt . Surely you must realize that "inconvenience" is a transparent excuse and a cheap tactic fo all if not most who signed such an unprecedented petition against a First Lady.

I don't know you, but I seem to recall that you wanted to see almost anyone but Obama as President (including Fortunate Billionaire Son Jon Huntsman and probably Mitt Romney who he is a clone of) so I guess I am not surprised by your reaction.

This kind of racism lite and racism denial has become the modus operandi of the politically correct on the Right and it is high time that it gets called out for what it is.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 21:39

o

If all those people there complaining would still complain as loudly and start petitions to sign, also protested and started petitions if it were Ronald Reagan to speak while still alive and in good health, I would believe that the same people in the same numbers were sincere in their reasons being given for strong protestation.

Personally, I dont believe that is what would happen.

I believe, instead, that the same angry people along with their cameras would wait for hours to see and listen to him - and if some snotty little high school kid had the nerve to voice that he felt the thunder was stolen from his graduation day, I believe snotty kid would be jeered and shamed right out of his ability to participate in the ceremony.

o

Some people wake up to a beautiful day and can only see Black and White.

Can you imagine any commencement speaker not being controversial?

Huffington Post most controversial speakers

"Wellesley College's class of 1990 was "outraged" at the prospect of the former first lady speaking at their graduation, saying she did not embody the type of woman the college aims to educate. The choice sparked protests on campus, as well as a statement from George H.W. Bush in defense of his wife. ''I think these young women can have a lot to learn from Barbara Bush and from her unselfishness and from her advocacy of literacy and of being a good mother and a lot of other things," he said.

When the author, noted for his criticism of Islam, was invited to speak at Nova Southeastern University in 2006, many students opted not to go to graduation, saying they were "appalled" at the choice. School officials said they hoped Rushdie would incite intellectual dialogue.

UCLA's choice of Franco, a 2008 graduate of the school, caused a minor uproar on campus. The student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, wrote that they didn't feel the actor was "as esteemed as a commencement speaker of UCLA’s caliber should be”; a Facebook group called "UCLA Students Against James Franco as Commencement Speaker" attracted hundreds of members. Franco pulled out of the speech, citing a scheduling conflict.

In 2003, a bishop at the College of the Holy Cross boycotted commencement because of the MSNBC pundit's views on abortion. Matthews, a Catholic, graduated Holy Cross in 1967.

Conservative students at George Washington University were ruffled by the school's choice of the NAACP chair to speak at their 2008 graduation, citing Bond's negative comments about Republicans. Bond once said that the GOP appealed to "to the dark underside of American culture."

Controversy got to Meg Whitman before she could even march across UCLA's stage. The California governor hopeful was scheduled to address the class of 2009 at the college's business school. But students weren't having it, especially because of her support for a ban on gay marriage. Whitman canceled the speech.

Obama has caused controversy at multiple college campuses. At Arizona State University's graduation last year, the school refrained from giving the president an honorary degree, saying "his body of work is yet to come." At Notre Dame, anti-abortion rights activists were flummoxed and angered by the class of 2009's speaker. About 65,000 people signed an online petition against Obama's address.

Students in Northwestern Law's class of 2008 said they wanted someone "uplifting" to send them off, not the host of a talk show featuring people who marry horses (true story) and men who don't know that their girlfriends are actually guys. Despite pushback, Springer's speech ended up being well-received by students.

New School President Bob Kerrey promised the class of 2006 that their graduation wold be one to remember. Indeed. Former presidential candidate McCain was greeted with protests, petition signs and jeers. His speech to graduates was pocked by interruptions -- one male student yelled "I want to marry my boyfriend!" -- and even "groans of boredom."

There won't be any protests from graduating University of Georgia students in response to the kooky television chef speaking at their ceremony this year. The campus, it seems, is wholly underwhelmed by the choice. A columnist for the college's newspaper wrote that many students didn't even know who Brown was.

Skiing great Moseley upset the graduating class of 2002 at UC-Berkeley. The politically active campus criticized the choice, pointing out that Moseley didn't even graduate college himself."

White fat people not wanted

"Gov. Chris Christie as Rowan graduation speaker divides student body"

That should help Heri sleep better.

Romney controversial? Surely you jest.

Sweet dreams, Heri.

Howard University students split over Diddy commencement speech controversy

How do you explain that one, Heri?

Hosting VP Biden, USC limits tickets for May 9 commencement

Or that one?

Warning: Washington Times. Don't click. Not on approved reading list.

'Critics rail against liberal bias for commencement speakers.
Democrat speakers outnumber Republicans 2-1, survey finds.
"

A Speaker Withdraws at Swarthmore
April 8, 2013

"Robert Zoellick withdrew on Friday as Swarthmore College's commencement speaker, following criticism from some students that his support for the Iraq war and his role in the administration of President George W. Bush is at odds with the college’s Quaker roots.
"I don't want to disrupt what should be a special day for the graduates, their families, and friends," Zoellick said Friday, according to an e-mail Swarthmore's president, Rebecca Chopp, sent to the college's students and faculty members. "Nor do I have an interest in participating in an unnecessarily controversial event."

Robert Zoellick sounds like a nice, considerate person, don't you think?

Hay

o

My sympathy to the students and families that will have to suffer through the circus. The focus should be on the graduates -- not all the hoopla that comes with secret service, police, traffic control and safety, etc.

Advice: leave the kiddies and anyone sickly at home.

o

This one should keep Heri up all night sorting it out.

"Ayaan Hirsi Ali (Dutch: [ɑˈjaːn ˈɦirsi ˈaːli] ( listen); full name: Ayaan Hirsi Magan Isse Guleid Ali Wai’ays Muhammad Ali Umar Osman Mahamud[a]) (born 13 November 1969) is a Somali-born American (formerly Dutch) women's rights and atheist activist, writer and politician who is known for her views critical of female genital mutilation and Islam.

Ali is currently a fellow of the American Enterprise Institute.

Due to protests by students, faculty and others, in 2014 Brandeis University withdrew its offer to Ali of an honorary degree and speaking invitation at that year's commencement ceremonies. This caused much controversy."

Hope you sleep well.

Nightie, night.

Hay

o

"If all those people there complaining would still complain as loudly and start petitions to sign, also protested and started petitions if it were Ronald Reagan to speak while still alive and in good health, I would believe that the same people in the same numbers were sincere in their reasons being given for strong protestation.

Personally, I dont believe that is what would happen."

Ronald Reagan?

Yeah, him, too.

"Reagan was invited to Commencement by then-University President Fr. Theodore Hesburgh to deliver the principal address and receive an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. His “Rockne” co-star, Pat O’Brien, also received an honorary degree. After the initial announcement March 10, 1981, columnists in The Observer, like Anthony Walton in a March 11, 1981 article, criticized Hesburgh for the invitation, not being able to reconcile how Notre Dame --- “the university with a conscience” --- could invite Reagan, who pushed for a peace-time military acceleration in El Salvador, opposed strong gun-control laws and endorsed capital punishment. It wasn’t until April 27, 1981 --- just around Reagan’s 100th day in office ---- that the real controversy over his selection became apparent. Indications that the president, after recovering from a gunshot wound to the chest, would still be coming to campus to deliver the Commencement address, dismayed some students. Though, according to an Observer column that day, at that time the appearance was not confirmed by the University or the White House. Yet the president’s speechwriters were already at work. The next day, The Observer reported on an ad hoc committee formed in response to the scheduled appearance --- Students Concerned about Commencement (SCC) ---- that planned to gather April 29, 1981 in a protest rally. The Letters to the Editor fell under the title “Reagan dialogue is renewed” and examined both sides of the debate. “We feel that Reagan’s presence is in one sense an honor, but more a challenge to Notre Dame,” Will O’Brien, a member of the SCC said in the report. “In our perception, Reagan’s appearance at commencement would be incompatible with what we sense the University to be about.” "

Now, what do you say?

Hay

o

Hay, I'm lazy and don't want to look up all those speakers you mentioned. How many of those are/were people of the Caucasian persuasion? I am of course flashing back to the OP:

"Actually, just some racists in Kansas who are setting the worst example for students."

o

Graduation ceremonies are so tedious that I duck them when I can and just attend the parties...

o

I don't know you, but I seem to recall that you wanted to see almost anyone but Obama as President (including Fortunate Billionaire Son Jon Huntsman and probably Mitt Romney who he is a clone of) so I guess I am not surprised by your reaction.

For what must be the several hundredth time by now, your memory is faulty.

If I recall correctly, in one if your previous attempts at this claim, you were asked for quotes of chase's that causes you to claim this and what you produced was chase saying that Huntsman was the best of the bozos (my word, not chase's) put forward by the GOP. Hardly an endorsement. And if you think chase supported Romney you were either not here during the election or not reading very carefully.

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 7:14

Hay, now what do we say about what? Intellectual and ideological objections to college speakers seem to be on a different plane.

FWIW, I was initially surprised to hear that Ayaan Hirsi Ali was rejected by Brandeis. On second thought, though, for Brandeis to appear to condone her absolute condemnations of Islam would be very offensive to many on and outside campus -- to the point that I was surprised they made the mistake.

It does seem that some of these institutions of higher living may be taking a little too much pride in intolerance, though, or maybe not... But MUST all speakers reflect the "in" thinking of the day and place?

Barbara Bush is hardly a model for me, certainly, but I don't think allowing the "rhymes with witch" woman (as she described Hillary Clinton on TV) to speak at my graduation would be a betrayal of my principles, just a lowering of a preferred standard.

Not that intellectual and ideological objections would seem to apply to the seemingly few who reportedly would prefer Michelle not be there -- except, of course, conceivably to celebration of Brown v. BOE for even fewer. But there's seldom an intellectual component to those reactions, even if one is often pasted on after the fact to try to dress them up.

o

Interesting history of graduation speaker protests. However, that doesn't enlighten us much about the current protests about the first lady speaking at the mass celebration of five graduation ceremonies in honor of the anniversary of school desegregation. Although Kansans may be too PC to shout racist epithets, one cannot help but wonder if race isn't at least part of the objection going on--covered up by complaints about too few tickets and the first lady would take the attention off the graduates, etc.

On the other hand, even in this neon-red state, I predict that there are more than enough residents who will be happy to celebrate Brown v Board of Education and maybe even a first lady coming to Topeka and that the whole affair, when it actually happens, will be a grand whopping success with record crowds in attendance--but with a few protesters sulking in a corner out of sight.

Kate

o

It is so sad that for the first time in this country's history, we now have a black president. What should have been a source of pride and a period at the end of a great struggle. The dream of Martin Luther King realized. Race has become the boy who cried wolf. Used as a club for anyone who disagrees with another's point of view , calling someone a racist has lost it's power. It has become more of a reflection on the one using the term, than the one they are using it against.

o

Wow, Mrskjun, I thought you were going to end it after that first sentence.

o

Yep--it's mrsK. I'm convinced now.

Kate

o

This is like reading the worst of kindergarten with the constant taunting.

Back to the OP, universities don't seem to care who the students and the people that pay for the educations want to hear at commencements.

Academia likes to impress one another and whether it's Michelle Obama or Laura Bush the committee responsible for this no doubt believes they hit the jackpot.

Frankly, I've been to more than a few college commencements and don't recall anything anyone said and in fact, most were poor speakers although a few were very accomplished, more than Michelle Obama.

Anyone politically connected will no doubt encounter objections from those not so politically inclined.

So the fact that she was there and what she said, or what anyone says, is of little import. She'll do like the rest of them, say too many words when they want to get out of the heat and take the robes off and celebrate with their families.

Wouldn't it be nice if for once someone didn't think about themselves, spoke for 5 minutes (I think anything important can be said during that time and keep any speeches or remarks I make to that time period, unless it is instruction) and made sure every remark counted, and thanked everyone for having her and got out of there.

Literally, much ado about nothing.

Students and some faculty at Rutgers threw a fit about Condoleeza Rice being selected to speak at commencement.

Heri, must just be a lot of racist haters at Rutgers, too, eh?

o

heri I said this :

"From anything I've read it is a very few of the hundreds of graduates that are concerned with the First Lady making the commencement speech , never mind what it is about.

Just a bunch of zealots on both sides trying to make this into something it's not. "

and I also said this:

"The fact that the school board is the one that extended the invitation to Mrs Obama AND that it was the school board that suggested the link to Brown makes it very unfair for anyone to try and make this about Mrs Obama trying to make a political statement."

Heri, how you construe any support on my part for any group on the extreme right is quite bizarre.

I don't what the motivation of the FEW who are protesting is but I think it is totally misplaced.

I don't see the overt racism you seem to see in the article you linked to. I simply asked you if you had any additional sources.

o

I've always read you two--heri and chase-- as more or less on the same "side." Certainly, it has never occurred to me, even in passing, that Chase was some kind of right-wing zealot (and not even some kind RINO). In fact, I've occasionally thought Chase was more left-wing than most of the liberals/left-leaning posters on this forum.

Don't understand what the squabble is about, heri.

Kate

o

I will also add that it is unfair to suggest anyone on this board is a racist for any remarks I have ever seen, and especially to do so to Chase because of the remarks she made.

No way no how do her remarks constitute racism.

o

High school guest speakers......

The last thing the kids want is another long winded speech that doesn't concern them, let alone a political speech.

They need a speaker who will tell them:
Unless you work hard, nothing will be handed to you.
20% of you will end up on government assistance.
A college degree guarantees you nothing.
Not everyone should go to college. The trades pay just as well.
Follow your dreams, even if it doesn't pay, because you'll be a lot happier in life.

Tell them the truth. Make it short and sweet so they can go home.

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 10:24

I agree, Kate. Frankly, I tend to divide people more into those are honest and sensible, open minded and inclusive and those who specifically are not in a variety of ways. On my mental clipboard, Heri and Chase definitely are in the same column, so this was surprising.

Demi, racism is such a widespread and powerful motivator in politics, an enormous factor that rears its ugly head in almost every issue, that it has to be considered. To not do so would be like carefully ignoring all storm systems when discussing the weather.

The pattern of denying that racism even exists is an interesting one, itself inviting analysis. It doesn't SEEM to espouse racism. It only denies the possibility of any and all ill effects from something that doesn't exist and all need to do anything whatsoever about them.

And, of course, no one can be legitimately accused of racism if there is no such thing, in effect the ultimate, "I am not a racist!"

Barondesnoy, I see nothing but good in our election of a black man, per se, although that was just a, yes, I'd like ice with my pie, thank you, for me. That it would stimulate an outpouring of hatemongering and acting out from bigots was always understood. But most Americans, and people around the planet, took heart from Obama's election and its irrefutable evidence that we are much greater than our noisy lowest common denominators, who speak only for themselves.

o

I'm proud we elected a black man to the Presidency.

We just elected the wrong one, that's all.

o

christopherh said it best. The time had come, I would have preferred it be Condi Rice. If she had run and won, would we be having the same discussions with those who didn't vote for her or those who didn't like her policies? Would we still be calling people racists? I'm sure there would be some who would. We can all take pride that the country elected a black president, but that doesn't mean we have to think he is the right person for the job....no matter what his race.

o

"The American Thinker", the clear standard bearer of today's Conservative Thought, is all over this. A couple of quotes…..

First, a concerned parent:

"I'm a single mother who has raised him for 18 years by myself," said Tina Hernandez, parent of Topeka High School senior Dauby Knight. "I've told him education is the only way out. This is one of the biggest days of their lives. They've taken the glory and shine from the children and put on Mrs. Obama. She doesn't know our kids."

and ends up with:

"The speech will be billed as "non-political" but that's impossible. The context of the First Lady's remarks will be nothing but political and you can bet there will be veiled references that accuse Republicans of "wanting to go back" to segregated schools. Otherwise, what's the point of sending her out there in the first place?

Not much chance the school board will withdraw the invitation.But maybe Mrs. Obama will take the hint and decline to attend. The day should be focused on the kids and parents and not become a photo op to advance the administration's political agenda."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

mrsk--er, “baron”--that first sentence at 8:37 nearly took my breath away.

o

The pattern of denying that racism even exists is an interesting one, itself inviting analysis. It doesn't SEEM to espouse racism. It only denies the possibility of any and all ill effects from something that doesn't exist and all need to do anything whatsoever about them,

Exactly!

Nothing to see here, folks, even if actual evidence is presented to the contrary.

When First Lady Michelle Obama shows concern for children and advocates that our children to exercise and eat healthier diets, she's ridiculed and accused of being part of the so-called nanny state. When she is asked to address a multi-high school graduation, she's accused of being all political, with no concern for the graduates. Go figure.

o

The context of the First Lady's remarks will be nothing but political and you can bet there will be veiled references that accuse Republicans of "wanting to go back" to segregated schools. Otherwise, what's the point of sending her out there in the first place?

How political Michelle's acceptance of the invitation to speak is, I couldn't say for sure, but the above quote certainly shows how political the objections are to her speaking in Topeka. The speaker is obviously a Republican (a lot of Kansas is, unfortunately) and afraid of being accused of being a racist favoring segregation by a black Democrat. Isn't that what that quote is basically saying?

How political is Michelle's acceptance of the invitation? In one sense, probably most things the White House does involve a political consideration, but I doubt very much that that is Michelle's primary motivation, much less that she accepted in order to play "gotcha" with Republicans by painting them as opposed to school desegregation. I would think, if I were a black person or person of color, that I would think of the anniversary of Brown v Topeka Board of Education as a cause of celebration for the opportunities it opened up for myself and my children. That blacks remember it as an occasion to get revenge on Republicans just is bizarre thinking!

Kate

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 12:17

Who could forget Saladgate? :)

o

The last thing the kids want is another long winded speech that doesn't concern them, let alone a political speech.

They need a speaker who will tell them:
Unless you work hard, nothing will be handed to you.
20% of you will end up on government assistance.
A college degree guarantees you nothing.
Not everyone should go to college. The trades pay just as well.
Follow your dreams, even if it doesn't pay, because you'll be a lot happier in life.

Tell them the truth. Make it short and sweet so they can go home.

Absolutely that is what they need to hear and understand and act on.

And no one needs to pay for secret service agents for that, either, or block highways and roads and inconvenience people.

o

Does ANYBODY.... ANYBODY here actually believe the pushback against Mrs Obama is because of her RACE????

Is anybody here so wrapped up in race they refuse to see other reasons for the dislike of the Obamas?

o

The Topeka School Board invited the First Lady knowing exactly what that would entail.

The Topeka School Board suggested a link to the Supreme Court decision that led to the desegregation of Kansas schools

The Topeka School Bord is elected by the residents of Topeka , the majority of which seem supportive of the invitation.

To try and make this an attempt by the WH to politicize this event is ridiculous......the First Lady will do an outstanding job, as she always does.

Especially given she is the perfect example of what can be accomplished in spite of financial hardship when hard work , integrity and good family values are present.

She is an amazing role model.......

o

She is an amazing role model.......

Somehow the above becomes lost in the protests against the First Lady's presence. She is the embodiment of working hard and achieving success despite humble circumstances.

I think a good number of the students would be thrilled to have the First Lady at their high school graduation ceremonies -- something to tell their children and grandchildren.

o

"Does ANYBODY.... ANYBODY here actually believe the pushback against Mrs Obama is because of her RACE????"

Not really. I think that it is essentially political. I do not believe that people would be getting so bent out of shape if it was someone from their political party either.

I could ask the same question in a different way as well.
Does ANYBODY.... ANYBODY here actually believe the pushback against Mrs Obama is because of the INCONVENIENCE or ROAD BLOCKAGE????

o

"Follow your dreams, even if it doesn't pay, because you'll be a lot happier in life. "

Sounds like something Jodi might say ; )

....and I'm a tad surprised that Demi agrees with this statement.

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:01

"Follow your dreams, even if it doesn't pay, because you'll be a lot happier in life. "

Sounds like something Jodi might say ; )

....and I'm a tad surprised that Demi agrees with this statement.

What?

o

If I have to explain it it ain't worth it........

...and no I am not saying you have ever said someone should not follow their dreams...and no I'm not saying you have ever said that having a job that pays you enough to live well.is more important than being happy.

But I am saying I am a tad surprised you agree with Chris' statement... ...I am allowed to be surprised aren't I?

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 16:44

If I have to explain it it ain't worth it........

...and no I am not saying you have ever said someone should not follow their dreams...and no I'm not saying you have ever said that having a job that pays you enough to live well.is more important than being happy.

But I am saying I am a tad surprised you agree with Chris' statement... ...I am allowed to be surprised aren't I?

I don't know why you would be surprised, I've always said that.

Why wouldn't I want people to follow their dreams, as long as it's not suckling taxpayers?

It just shows to me that extrapolations and prejudices may color what you think of me and the way I think--although I have very specifically said that people should have the right to live their lives as they want--rich, middle class, poor, whatever--as long as they do not unnecessarily hurt or cost others.

o

"It just shows to me that extrapolations and prejudices may color what you think of me and the way I think--"

Sorry but you are way over thinking it...I really care much less than you may think about what you think.

It just struck me as humourous ...and if you don't get that ..you don;t get that.

o

No, I don't get the humor in the fact that I have always said that I want people to live the lives they choose for themselves as long as they don't unduly burden taxpayers or hurt others.

I don't know why you would be surprised at me saying that and agreeing with it because I've never said anything to the contrary.

I've never thought anyone should live their lives as I do, and in fact have no opinion on how others should live their lives other than they shouldn't burden taxpayers.

I guess you're right--I don't get how that is "humorous" to you.

o

"I guess you're right--I don't get how that is "humorous" to you."

I think that there are a lot of things that you do not get. I believe that you have a false sense of how you are portraying yourself to the world. That is not a bad thing if you can just accept it.

o

•Posted by frank_il z5Illinois (My Page) on Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 18:59

***I guess you're right--I don't get how that is "humorous" to you.***
"I think that there are a lot of things that you do not get. I believe that you have a false sense of how you are portraying yourself to the world. That is not a bad thing if you can just accept it."

And I think that if Demi was a stupid person, you could get away with that patronizing statement, maybe even nudge with an elbow and share a wink with a person similarly amused by such behavior, and I don't bother calling out the hopelessly callous posters who regularly engage in that.

Who the heck cares what you think about Demi's self perception of her relationship with the rest of the world?

That was very disappointing, Frank.

o

"Who the heck cares what you think about Demi's self perception of her relationship with the rest of the world?

That was very disappointing, Frank"

I am serious though. It is not a putdown. Can you honestly say that she is not misunderstood? I do not engage Demi very often these days.

o

"Can you honestly say that she is not misunderstood?"

Frankly, yes. Maybe I'm misjudging by giving some too much credit for brains and capacity for empathy, but it seems to me that these bright and otherwise caring people are poisoned by prejudice and intolerance, and Demi appears strong enough to take their worst.

Or, yes she is misunderstood because these people are of diminished intelligence and shallow character.

Take your pick, either way it's not pretty.

o

"Take your pick, either way it's not pretty."

Well, I guess we will have to be disappointed in each other then. If you think that everyone who "misunderstands" Demi are of "diminished intelligence and shallow character", I am pretty disappointed in you and your opinion of the posters on this board as well. I would guess that over 3 out of 4 people on this board at one time or another have been rubbed the wrong way by Demi.

o

"I would guess that over 3 out of 4 people on this board at one time or another have been rubbed the wrong way by Demi."

I'm not going to argue about your scientific numbers there, Frank. I do wonder about the many others, yourself included, that do not get called out for rubbing posters the wrong way ( I'm the only one who calls you out). I get told I'm an ankle biter frequently (thanks, Labrea, you started that and an eager unimaginative few promptly glomed onto it), and I don't mind. The constant personal comments directed at Demi have become quite the nasty habit for a choice group here, and I just don't see how anything positive can come of it. We're not in group therapy here.

It actually hurts me to watch the carnage. That is all, I'm not talking about this anymore tonight.

o

"I'm not going to argue about your scientific numbers there,"

I was going to say 9 out of 10, but then I thought that would just be hyperbole.

o

Elvis is right.

The same is done to Elvis, as well.

Posted by frank_il z5Illinois (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 19:23

I think that there are a lot of things that you do not get. I believe that you have a false sense of how you are portraying yourself to the world.

What I don't get is why I'm the subject of posts--why anyone feels any need to tell me what they think about me because of my opinions, that's not the purpose of this forum.

But it's being done again--personal comments, speculative comments, assumptive comments about my personal life, my financial status, what I will think or might think or likely to think or do, or what my view or might be on a topic when I haven't even given it and I'm often reference by name in this regard on threads on which I don't even participate.

As to whether I "rub" anyone the wrong way--that's a personal problem.

I don't feel any need to assess anyone's character or make snide comments about them personally when they are only giving their opinions and posting.

No one else should feel a need to do it and certainly should not do it, even if they are "rubbed" the wrong way.

Mature, thoughtful people are tolerant of others and don't become emotional and need to strike out at someone just because they don't agree with them.

o

"But it's being done again--personal comments, speculative comments, assumptive comments about my personal life, my financial status, what I will think or might think or likely to think or do, or what my view or might be on a topic when I haven't even given it"

I do not see the comments about your financial status. I think it is a stretch to take any of my comments as being about your "personal life," but whatever.

"As to whether I "rub" anyone the wrong way--that's a personal problem."

Yes it is.

o

Those particular comments have been made on other threads, many times by other posters, not you that I recall.

It's easy enough to agree with what I say, disagree with what I say, ask for clarification, or just ignore.

That's seldom what takes place--what takes place with certain posters is what Elvis described.

It's almost as predictable as the sun coming up each morning.

But a lot more tiresome and pedestrian.

It's the unfortunate habit of those devoid of tolerance, argument or ideas, or respect for a different opinion.

o

Either that you cannot see, or stubbornly refuse to accept your own full share contribution to the back and forth insulting, demeaning and belittling statements is the question, if indeed you or anyone else even cares about it anymore. As long as everyone is feeling free to comment upon the never to die out docudrama, IMO Elvis has her own brand of tunnel vision and is comfortable there, obviously.
When it does begin to die out, notice how life gets breathed right back into it?
We all come and stay because we are getting something out of it, although the side drama which is stuck endlessly on repeat is getting very boring and repetitive, like the old record players, when the needle would get stuck in a groove and endlessly repeat the same refrain over and over until somebody finally stopped it.

Back to the thread topic:
Frank, your comments on Monday at 15:29 - exactly right. It is why I posed the 'Ronald Reagan' point.
Heck, that too is a needle stuck in the same groove, too.

This post was edited by mylab123 on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 0:50

o

"Heck, that too is a needle stuck in the same groove, too."

You are right about that as well.

o

And it will as long as people make those inappropriate comments about me and my character.

Notice the threads it doesn't happen--it's when people discuss topics and not me.

As I said--don't talk about ME in a disparaging way for only giving my opinion, and we stroll along the Yellow Brick Road
just fine.

When you do, you will be called out.

For slow learners, there is no impunity for this type of behavior in my book.

There is also a "book" at the top of the page on this forum.

o

Frank and Mylab, you know demi thrives on being a martyr and must always have the last word, no matter how worn out and dragged out and repeated time and time again--so there is no point in replying to her post.

My advice: SOB

It isn't worth your time.

Kate

o

It isn't worth your time.

Kate

That's what I've been trying to tell people for years--and they MAKE time for the disparaging personal comments.

It certainly isn't worth my time, but I'm an accountability gal with principles, so I won't be taking your advice to "scroll on by" although it wasn't to me.

I did that for awhile, Kate, and it only invited MORE nasty comments.

I make time to answer.

o

I make time to answer.

You love flaunting how wonderful you think you are, don't you.

Now post your answer. I'm leaving for now and will have nothing more to say.

Kate

o

I don't think I'm wonderful Kate, I just KNOW I'm not the nasty things people say about me and speculate about me and post about me.

And I won't let them stand.

Your choice, and the choice of others.

I figure you will indeed have something else to say, save your poking stick now!~

o

Despite the protestations, there seems to be a need to be at the center of this. I don't see any exceptional ability or integrity involved here which warrants this martyrdom... unless the big payoff is sympathy from some and less sympathetic attention from others. Doesn't seem to matter.

o

'Go back and read where it started, duluth.

Good thread, then Chase made the comment that she was "surprised" that I agred with Christopher's statement, which was

""Follow your dreams, even if it doesn't pay, because you'll be a lot happier in life. "

Now, what would you make of that if someone said that about you?

I asked what, and Chase basically told me if I didn't get it I didn't get it, she thought it was humorous.

I saw nothing humorous in it but no big deal.

Then FRANK comes along talks about me, although I don't think it was particularly vicious it was an unnecessary and not very nice comment, and still fuels fire:

"I think that there are a lot of things that you do not get. I believe that you have a false sense of how you are portraying yourself to the world. That is not a bad thing if you can just accept it."

Frankly, Frank, I don't care what you think about me.

So I get a comment that it is surprising that I would want people to follow their dreams if it makes them happy but not wealthy.

What would YOU make of a comment like that, particularly if you had never said anything about thinking people needed to make a lot of money, and in fact had said the very thing Christopher said many times on this forum?

Then the personal comments from Frank?

What would you think, Duluth?

I don't let other people define me, there is no NEED to define me or anyone else here.

This is a hot topics forum, we aren't to judge other posters. and if we do we certainly shouldn't be psychoanalyzing them and judging them publicly here on this forum, which seems to have become the focus of this forum when several are gathered.

Good day.

o

Although there will surely be something following this to keep the thread going in your direction, I'll let you have the last word; the beginning and middle words too. I recognize pointless when I see it.

And a good day to you too - at least for as long as it takes until someone messes it up for you.

o

News flash. I am so blessed that no one ever messes up my day
I do not give that power to anyone and never have.

I suggest if more people did just that they wouldn't feel a need to trash other people.

o

SOB

o

Yeah we see how you do that

o

Yeah we see how you do that

o

Ah yes, you are above taunting I see as well.

o

Posted by frank_il z5Illinois (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 13:49

Ah yes, you are above taunting I see as well.

How refreshing for you to admit what those comments are !

o

• Posted by rosie Deep South, USA 7A/B (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 17:37

Demi, why not spoil the game? Let someone else get stuck "owning" the last word of what this thread has degenerated into...

o

rosie, that will NEVER happen! We might have to go 150 to get this over with.

I came back to this thread thinking maybe something on topic might have been added. Sigh.

This post was edited by pidge on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 17:58

o

OK--here's some more "news". Joe Scarborough, of all people (conservative talk host on Mornin' Joe on MSNBC) has indirectly identified those who object to Michelle speaking at the Topeka HS graduations as conservatives--their objections are political, in other words.

Here is the Scarborough quote:
and I have got to say if you have the opportunity to have the First Lady of the United States come out and speak at your high school graduation, keep those concerns to yourself. That is asinine.

That statement got a lot of conservatives mad at Joe, according to this conservative news site:
Shut up, Joe Scarborough explained. That was the Morning Joe host's advice today to people in Topeka, Kansas [objecting to Michelle's presence]. . .

The man who makes his living offering his opinions and expressing his concerns instructed Kansans to "keep those concerns to yourself." Adding insult to injury, Scarborough called the Kansans' concerns "asinine."

OMG--a conservative stepped out of line, and look at the fuss the other conservatives raised!

Like I said earlier, these objections really are about anyone name Obama daring to show up in a neon-red state.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Conservatives against conservatives

o

Posted by rosie Deep South, USA 7A/B (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 17:37

Demi, why not spoil the game? Let someone else get stuck "owning" the last word of what this thread has degenerated into...

Let me get this straight--I am the one that is castigated, but I'm supposed to shut up and let those that castigate me have the last word?

Don't think so.

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 17:56

rosie, that will NEVER happen! We might have to go 150 to get this over with.

I came back to this thread thinking maybe something on topic might have been added. Sigh.

I see how you unable to SOB as you announce, again.

Sigh.

o

OMG, demi, you may be the most narcissistic human being I have ever had to endure. I really did think we might be dealing with the OP, but it’s still about you.
I am so gone from what was an interesting thread before our resident martyr took it over.

o

Wow, THIRD SOB (NOT) for you!

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 18:55

o

This is a hot topics forum, we aren't to judge other posters. and if we do we certainly shouldn't be psychoanalyzing them and judging them publicly here on this forum, which seems to have become the focus of this forum when several are gathered.

Oh you mean like the time you speculated I was mentally ill? That kind of psychoanalyzing?

See when you profess to be so perfect and everyone is just so mean for always insulting you, you often forget (or ignore) your own not-so-perfect behavior.

Oh like I'm pretty sure you recently stated you don't taunt people. Sure looks like you're taunting pidge above.

See why your words ring hollow? Nah, probably not.

o

Demi, I believe you are unnecessarily concerned about others attempting to define you in this forum.

Labrea has defined only by himself.
Marshall has been defined only by himself.
Ohiomom has been defined only by herself.
Frank has been defined only by himself.

I have been defined only by myself.
Sleepless has been defined only by herself.
Elvis has been defined only by herself.
CW has been defined only by herself.

Demi said:
"I dont let others define me."

Nobody can write that script but ourselves, Demi.
Can you recognize why it would not be possible for anyone to define you?
Each and every one of us has defined ourselves by what we ourselves say, how we say it, how we react to what is said. Be it regarding hot topics of any sort,( including the attitudes each of us express regarding the poor) or be it when we dissolve the threads into the personal one on one involving, by far and away, you and pretty much any other forum member you have decided has deliberately and with malice has set out to make false statements to or about you with absolutely no provocation what so ever - going so far as for you to use the actual words, "for no reason".

We all have defined ourselves in here, for better or worse, the onus is on each of us regarding the perceptions others have formed about our personality or character.
On that point, how I would dearly love to be able to point a finger and declare that so and so made me act that way!
But, of course, that would be ridiculous, false and extremely childish statement.
Nobody can make anyone say or not say a single thing in here.
That is why we are responsible for how others view us.
If we declare we dont know, dont care what others think of us, well that is part of who it is we define our self to be, too. And will be a part of the whole of how others see us.
So attempting to prevent anyone "from defining who you are" would be a huge waste of time and would further negatively define who you are by your manner of attempts to stop what nobody but you can do to begin with.

But Ive been getting this hinky feeling for a very, very long time now that none of this nor what it is you endlessly complain about has anything at all to do with your manner of participation within this forum.
Never has, never will.
Has nothing to do with any of us at all, except for being the means to an end.

o

Plans have been changed. She not speaking at the graduation.

According to the AP:
"Under a new plan worked out by the district, the first lady will speak on May 16 at a "senior recognition day" ceremony at the same 8,000-seat arena where the combined ceremony was to be held. The combined ceremony is being scrapped, and the five schools will hold separate graduation exercises instead."

o

She’s a very classy woman and very smart--glad she is helping to work this situation out.

o

Plans have been changed. She not speaking at the graduation.

Yes, OM posted the update in the "In case anyone is interested" thread yesterday.

Classy lady.

o

• Posted by rosie Deep South, USA 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 9:49

AND the graduates get to each receive their diplomas at their home schools where everybody knows who they are and aren't sick of an interminable ceremony long, long before it's finally over. I'm glad for them. This is a happy conclusion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here