Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2.3 billion spent on Easter candy!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 4:54

This amounts to $20 per person on average. Tell us what you indulge in, or would if you could. For me it is the large chocolate coated egg with a creamy fruit filling rounded off by some chicken peeps...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2.3 billion spent on Easter candy!

Marshmallow peeps. They certainly satisfy a sugar craving. :-)

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 7:21

A Cadbury egg from the supermarket. We fly high.

But, hey, that's nothing. We spent 3x that, way over SIX BILLION DOLLARS, on Halloween last year. Candy, costumes, plastic throw-aways. We spent over 600 billion on Christmas.

And this is after we channeled the vast portion of our national wealth into the hands of a very few, who actually are spending little of it here, just as a...maybe...thank you?

To add perspective to the numbers, in comparison with these little plastic frivolities, in 2013 we spent about $5500 billion on the entire Medicare program (down @150 billion from 2010 due to healthcare reforms). Medicare, of course, provides healthcare to over 49 MILLION people, almost everyone over 65 plus millions of disabled people and millions with kidney failure.

A billion here, a billion there, before long you're talking about real money. :) But what's not true is the propaganda spread far and loud that we don't have tons of it. We have money to throw away. We have money that dwarfs these numbers that we haven't even used yet, or more specificallly our Corporate Welfare recipients do.

This time last year the estimate for corporate hoarding alone was $840 BILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS in cash stashed overseas. And that's only a small slice of that pie.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forbes

This post was edited by rosie on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 7:34

o

None of it.

o

Stick to the candy!

A box of Heaven from Malley's. Thank you.

o

What a wonderful statistic. And worth every penny spent.

And, of course, as a loving grandmother, I have to test everything before the kids eat it, just to make sure it's good enough for them.

o

We have a couple of real candy shops nearby. These have been in business forever, and chocolate is still sold by the pound.

They still use antique metal molds, not these plastic things.

So when I go in three times a year (Christmas, Valentines and Easter) Just getting 2 quarter pound bags can cost almost $10. My wife likes chocolate covered caramel and I like straight dark chocolate breakups.

o

It is your duty...lol!

o

I won't be buying any because I feel ambitious and will be making my own. I made peanut butter cups, fruit and nut clusters, maple fondant, cherry and coconut cherry. I used dark chocolate. I will overdo the packaging just so my kids won't be too disappointed that there is no milk chocolate involved.

o

We're not sure what what's happening for easter this year... but we won't spend anything on the sugar and chemical laden items of inferior quality being offered. Maybe we'll bake organic cookies or something...

o

I'm not fond of candy or sweets, but did buy Godiva Easter Chocolate for others, and bought two packages of the new and improved orange creme peeps to mail to offspring that live far away with no access to such.

Cookie, it's always good to hear when people take the time to do things themselves and preserve traditions.

Let's keep those dentists busy.

o

The chocolate bunnies...

In every size I would go down the lineup and put one in my basket
If I let myself; They are so beautiful sitting in the windows of their
Pretty boxes.

I especially wanted the giant bunny.

I would keep the collection(boxes unopened)in a small special freezer.

"Easter Sunday's" have always been very important in the south;
A time to dress up for church and have Easter egg hunts.

DD

o

Cookie, could you fill my basket?

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 9:47

Sweet Jesus

o

My hat is off to anyone who can stomach Peeps.

According to the Nat'l Retail Federation, in addition to the candy, $1.1 billion will be spent on flowers; same $1.1 billion will be spent on decorations.

I'm not too tempted by much of the candy offerings in the drug and grocery stores. But did get a box of hand crafted Almond Bark from a local confectioner. Will also buy cut flowers simply because I enjoy them.

o

I just like the fake grass they put in the baskets.

I lived in the Ivory Coast, ex-French colony, for years. Ivory Coast is a major cacao producer, and the fermented, dried beans are sent off to Europe for processing into chocolate. The farmers are paid, oh, 18¢ a lb for their fermented, dried chocolate beans.

At Easter, the shops frequented by the French are selling Easter chocolates at $20 a lb.

Causing some bewilderment amongst the cacao farmers.

o

Another one grossed out by the taste of peeps, however I think the yellow chick peeps are just the cutest looking things in an Easter basket!

I always eat treats all day long on Easter day and the next day too - just stuff my face.

Ham and my mother's recipe of the typical cold, southern style homemade potato salad as a side with our ham, asparagus, hot homemade dinner rolls slathered with butter. If we are having family or guests for Easter supper ( this year we aren't) I will make all kinds of other things to go with the ham but with just us, I keep it limited to our favorites so room for seconds isn't wasted on non- favorites.

Our Easter baskets contain fun gifts to each other (bunny ordered three funny t-shirts for him) and often for me the less expensive sterling everyday earrings or bracelets.

And sweets, of course.
For me one each of my favorite Russell Stover chocolate strawberry, maple AND raspberry filled eggs and 4 pieces of the best ever fudge made by a local confectioner's shop - two with pecans and raisins, two plain.

He is not big on candy, but a box of cheap malted milk balls wont last long. Once the bunny left expensive, high quality malted milk balls and they "tasted funny" and ended up in the trash. For him, it has to be the cheap stuff.

And I give myself two full days to have the supper and finish off the chocolates. Then it's back to healthy, low carb and no sugar ( or stuff which converts to sugar when broken down) eating for the rest of the year.

The dogs have baskets too, they get some new 'homemade by me NOT the bunny' fancy bows which attach by velcro to the back of their necks right onto their collars ( they preen, knowing they look cute) , dental chews, a big piece each of soft venison jerky, a new bunny stuffy each and the little one gets a couple of fresh, new, flexible chew toys which she still gets very excited over and is recommended by our vet to help maintain her teeth in the good shape they (thankfully) continue to be.

Cant wait!

o

Mylab, which chew toys does your vet recommend? We tried nylabone with ours, but he does not care for them.

As for Easter chocolate, Lindt chocolate bunnies and carrots, and caramel-filled dove chocs. I used to like Cadbury's eggs, but now they taste way too sweet. Hubby gets dark chocolate which, though healthy, I don't like very much. More for him. :o)

o

Apparently a lot of canines are happy that Jesus died, was crucified and rose from the dead for the sins of their masters so they can enjoy all the treats for Easter celebration!~

o

I wasn't thinking in those terms having read the last couple of posts. Was thinking more along the lines of oh, boy, it all leads back to pet posts. :-)

o

Oooh, thanks for the mention of Jesus rising, reminds me I have to check on my raisin buns!

o

Dark Chocolate covered orange peel from Li-Lac I've been eating it for 42 years. Other than that I don't like most Easter goodies..

o

Oh, and wow, that $2.3 billion. Wish I could distribute my chocolates here instead of seeing a couple of disappointed faces this weekend. I do the chocolates for me more than them, yeah, I said it. Me first.

o

Not to worry Demi, my dogs only believe and worship the one who has treats or toys in their hand. It doesnt matter who it is. If Jesus was in the room and a homeless man only offered them a treat, the homeless man would not only be their verymostfavorite, but would offer him not only the family silver, but room and board for free since he would be nice because he offered them something nice out of the goodness of his heart.
And, they would not try to hide why the homeless man was their favorite over Jesus - or over me for that matter. But if Jesus then offered treats, they would happily love them both equally. And would like Jesus even if he offered them nothing but a smile and soft word.

That is, until it was bedtime, their tummies were full and it was snuggle time.
Then, I rock ( and rule) their world.
Nobody, not Jesus or the Easter bunny or that nice homeless man gets between them and their snuggle partner - me. And sometimes, if DH wants to snuggle, DH too.

So, it's all good.
Happy Easter to you all, Demi most certainly included, however you all choose to celebrate.

o

Thanks, you too.
I figure kindness to animals is okay with the Lord no matter how or why.

I don't think dogs care why or how they get a treat. Cats are a different story, I find they can hold a grudge and won't accept affection or treats if they don't like someone.

I don't buy them, but my daughters buy my dog Christmas toys, one knitted a sweater for him.

o

Petra, my three, nearly four year old shih tzu is a very sturdy but small dog, only slightly over seven pounds. She has a small mouth and these small dogs have a great tendency to gum disease. That is why the vet recommends that she chew as much as we can get her to. She needs not the hard nylabone chews but the gummabones. She used to chew anything we offered, but now that she is an adult, he isnt as interested. We are down to two chews she still likes and will chew on about twice a day.
One is bone shaped with little nubs all over it, dark blue in color, flexible, called ( I think) nylabone flexible dental chew. If you do a search for a chew toy, dark blue Im sure you will see a picture. They come in very tiny sizes which my dog needs up to quite large for puppies who will be big and already have a bigger mouth. If your dog has a strong large mouth and is considered a power chewer, this would last maybe five minutes. Its really only appropriate for puppies with a mouth which is not a strong bite.

The other one is a dental chew in the shape of a stick. This is currently her favorite and it also comes in tiny through fairly big sizes. This is not flexible but not rock hard like the tough nylabones are either.

As puppies grow into adulthood, they loose that desire to chew, although a lab I once owned chewed once a day to the end of her life, at 18. She had been a super power chewer since puppyhood and we had large nylabones scattered throughout the house for her chewing pleasure ;)

I hope this helped. Dogs often decide on favorites, but sometimes it takes bring home a lot of products to figure out what is right for your dog. My current lab quite chewing toys altogether at three years of age and I suspect this little shih tzu will probably eventually quit also. The vet tells me to encourage her, but if she don't wanna, she don't wanna! ;)

o

I eat dark chocolate every day. Candy for Easter? No. For me, Easter is not about candy.

o

It used to be our family tradition to make up some tiny baskets, stick the green paper "grass"" ( not the plastic stuff that stuck around behind furniture etc forever) and then I would make divinity, fudge and pralines - put one of each into each basket and all our kiddo's various friends who wandered in and out over about three days surrounding Easter - as well as our grown up friends, were given their own basket when they were leaving.

I really enjoyed that, however it is one of those traditions that drifted away as The Lad grew out of childhood and wasnt so fond of sweets anymore.

The Lad's Easter basket is still mailed off to him: fancy crackers with the hottest, most foreign burning spicy spreads and tinned fish, meats, stuffed olives, dates, onions - he just loves it all. I will stick in a hollow chocolate bunny in there to make me feel better, and he has gotten to where he has some of that also, again.
If he is with a girlfriend and he usually is, I make sure to send some fancy candies to her from the Easter bunny too - the bunny ignores no one around here! ;)

o

Do you have my address?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 6:44

My daughter has been busy all week with the orders for her handmade dark chocolates ... it's all good :)

I LOVE her handmade cherry cordials, yum for mum!

Haven't made a basket since everyone grew up ... remember my own mother putting a white bunny in each basket, none of us liked white candy so guess who they were really for? :)

o

"We have money to throw away. We have money that dwarfs these numbers that we haven't even used yet, or more specificallly our Corporate Welfare recipients do.

This time last year the estimate for corporate hoarding alone was $840 BILLION AMERICAN DOLLARS in cash stashed overseas. And that's only a small slice of that pie."

Someday I'd like to see one of my dollars jump out of my pocket and go do some of my work around here.

Apple didn't get where they are today by, from your article,

"Corporate America has dramatically increased its cash piles over the past few years, stashing more and more Benjamins every year since 2007.

Do you really think Apple has a big stash of Benjamins in some vault in Europe?

Nah.

All that "cash"? It's not sitting under a giant mattress somewhere in Europe.

"Due to Apple keeping more than $102 billion of its $145 billion cash pile offshore to minimize taxes, the company will issue debt to help fund the capital return program. Meanwhile, Apple has its cash allocated across several categories. According to Apple’s latest 10-Q (which excludes the prior quarter), the company has just over $7 billion in pure cash, with another $7.3 billion in money market funds and mutual funds. A whopping $50 billion is invested in corporate securities, representing the biggest capital allocation category. U.S. Treasury and agency securities account for $43.6 billion.

Mortgage and asset-backed securities represent $13.7 billion of Apple’s portfolio. Other smaller categories such as non-U.S. government securities, certificates of deposit and time deposits, commercial paper, and municipal securities account for $4.9 billion, $2.4 billion, $2.1 billion and $6.1 billion, respectively."

The USA needs someone to lend them the money to fund Obamacare. It's not free after all.

Hay

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 11:40

I agree, money does not work. All the money on the planet won't grow a single potato, much less dig it up.

Notably, what all THIS medium of exchange is NOT doing, though, is being exchanged in return for new products or the labor that creates them. It's being moved sideways as numbers on various balance sheets, not being used to produce goods for people to use or jobs for them to earn incomes from.

I.e., these job creators we've transferred so much of our wealth to because we're supposed to owe so much to them are refusing create jobs. Our need to earn the share we thought they'd allow us is our problem, not theirs.

Easter? You Christians who celebrate it as a spiritual celebration are able to also do schlock without cheapening Easter's meaning. I'm not a Christian, and junk from the "seasonal" aisles is only junk, so I stay well away from it and wouldn't dream of buying it for our Christian grandchildren. (The Cadbury egg's for us.)

I do like Easter though when I happen to be driving by a church and see people heading to and from in their nice clothes, celebrating what is a very special day to them. Easter egg hunts and children rooting through pretty baskets on the church lawn afterward are to smile at too. Nice.

o

"I agree, money does not work. All the money on the planet won't grow a single potato, much less dig it up."

For a moment I thought you might be seeing the light.

But, no.....

"Notably, what all THIS medium of exchange is NOT doing, though, is being exchanged in return for new products or the labor that creates them. It's being moved sideways as numbers on various balance sheets, not being used to produce goods for people to use or jobs for them to earn incomes from."

Not strictly true, but, for the most part, "money" doesn't do much more than "move around". I got some that's burning a hole in my pocket right now.

Go back and read my post about Apple. Read about how they've exchanged these "Benjamins" for an IOU from the the good ole USA. They just keep the certificates under a mattress somewhere in Europe. The "money" got moved back to the good ole USA where our leader, Obama, spent it on a road to nowhere somewhere around here.

"I.e., these job creators we've transferred so much of our wealth to because we're supposed to owe so much to them are refusing create jobs."

You transferred wealth to Apple? I suspect you got something back that was worth more to you than what you gave Apple. Someone forced you to buy an IPod? You feel cheated?

Naive Economics 403. Go to the head of the class.

Hay

o

I will have to see what is on sale the day after. Before hand, I will see what is reasonably priced to put in some eggs for the hunt at church.

I used to be a sucker for peeps and would purchase a bunch for myself every year and other candy too. They have somehow lost their appeal and I have no idea why. I still like sweets but most of the time, all I can taste is the sugar and am disappointed. I remember my mother waking us at 5 because she was excited about the Easter bunny coming but we have never really gotten into the gifts at Easter or baskets but we will go to brunch at church where the kids will participate in an egg hunt and then go to my sister's for a family meal so still a nice day but no fake grass to vacuum.

o

As a kid, we always spent Easter Sunday with my Father's family up on "da Range". Always liked seeing relatives we didn't get to see all the time. Fabulous food and desert was traditionally a coconut covered lamb cake made in an old hinged mold.

The basket treat I remember most was the fancy sugar egg with the window for a religious scene or some such. They were so beautifully crafted and decorated. I suppose they're still available, but I haven't seen them for ages - really nice ones anyway.

o

"The basket treat I remember most was the fancy sugar egg with the window for a religious scene or some such. They were so beautifully crafted and decorated. I suppose they're still available, but I haven't seen them for ages - really nice ones anyway."

Here you go, Duluth. You can even make your own:

"The Better World Inside the Sugar Egg"

By MICHELLE SLATALLA
Published: April 13, 2006

"IT was understood when we were young that nearly everything in the Easter basket had its price, with one exception.

My brothers knew I would never trade my panorama sugar egg, not for foil-wrapped chocolate bunnies, not for jellybeans ��" even red ��" and certainly not for all the Peeps in the world.

The hollow sugar egg, a vestige of Victorian Easter traditions, had a peephole at one end. Inside was a miniature, idyllic scene of frosting flowers and edible rabbits, which was so compelling that I could not bear to part with it, much less eat it..."

More at this link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/13/fashion/thursdaystyles/13ONLINE.html?_r=0

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Eggs

o

Thanks, elvis - I saw that. Just not quite the same even when clouded by a bit of nostalgia. If Fabergé dealt in sugar and frosting instead of precious metals and gems, the "way back" ones would have made the Czarina smile.

o

Mmmm. I'm still kicking myself, Duluth, for not purchasing a couple of the exquisite imitation Faberge eggs I saw when shopping on the Champs-Elysees. Guess I'll just have to go back... ;-)

o

"There are only 50 Imperial Easter Eggs in the world, including the nine sold to Vekselberg by the Forbes family. Ten are in the Moscow Kremlin Collection, five are at the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts in Richmond, Va., and Britain’s Queen Elizabeth owns three. The whereabouts of eight are unknown. The others are in the U.S., Switzerland and Monaco." (Forbes)

Not too far off topic - the Faberge eggs are certainly EYE CANDY.

o

They are truly gorgeous even if only seen in an exquisite art book my uncle gave me years ago.

Ohiomom, your daughter could possibly make a little cash if she has the time and inclination. I took all kinds of classes for my kiddos when they were small, the local high school offered night classes on campus and I got quite good at fancy cake decorating, took three classes in it, collected a ton on Wilton supplies and when the kids were over it and too many expected me to "whip up real quick" ( not possible) an elaborate and very time consuming cake, I gave it all away to a young mother who mentioned she was signing up for a beginners class.
I found that far easier than telling my dear friends no. I was not good at that.

I would have signed up for every level of class your daughter could teach back in those years, I loved all that creative, do it yourself stuff. - my MIL always gifted me the supplies and then when I was just done, I gifted them to some other young enlisted wife and mother who had to watch her nickles.
I would have really enjoyed candy making classes. You should suggest the idea to her, unless for her, its for fun only. I get that, too.

o

Wow, kinda weird how the crucifixion of one of the Earth's great spiritual leaders turns into a humongous candy fest.

I love candy, and have the dental work to prove it, but have cut down in recent years and have no Easter candy this year. However, I would take some from Christopher's candy shop, some of Cookie's home-made stuff, or maybe some of that fancy French chocolate derived from the peasants' beans, if someone offered. :)

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 8:27

Mylab my daughter has a shop downtown ... she makes and sells artisan chocolates :)

o

$2.3 billion + $80

o

Ohiomom I wish your daughter every success. How delightful her profession sounds! People always leaving her shop with smiles on their faces, now THAT's a fine way to make a living!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here