1 night stay in Paris hotel--585 K
1 night stay in London hotel--425 K

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Biden' s entourage expenses to go beyond Rome:

And this is no April Fool's joke, unfortunately...p

o

You don't understand. America has entered the era of royalty. We serve THEM!

Now get off your high horse and get this year's taxes mailed in. These folks have a lot of exclusive places to visit, and very important shoulders to rub. How common of you to bring up cost. Elites need to be with their own kind.

o

Yeah, remember it costs a million dollars a year for school kids to tour the White House...durn little peons!!

o

What a silly-arse thread. Surely you have something better to do?

o

No they don't, Pidge. The economy is improving, Obama has good approvals , so let the nit picking begin. Presidents and VPs are supposed to stay home. No Republican ever left the White House , doncha know?

o

Oh yeah 46% approval rating is awesome lol.

o

"Yeah, remember it costs a million dollars a year for school kids to tour the White House...durn little peons!!"

Who are they? Grubby little car washing dreamers!

When a leader puts his own kids on private planes to luxuriate at exclusive resorts, but slams the White House door on kids who saved all year to get to DC in school buses, that behavior speaks volumes.

Which is not a bad thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bake sales are for the little people

o

Then he had the NERVE to hold Easter egg hunts. As an atheist, I tell you I am OUTRAGED.

o

nik and mrs, get over yourselves. This is petty, petty, petty.

o

This is petty, petty, petty.

On that we can agree pidge. Doing away with the White House tours was nothing but a petty and petulant thing to do. He spends more for a golfing weekend than it takes to keep the tours open for students for a year.

o

Well it is not petty. Washington was teeming with families this weekend and I heard complaints. Biden's costs are just fuel to the fire and an insult.

But Obama and FL sure enjoyed the photo op at the Easter Egg hunt

It would be comical if it was not so pathetic and insulting to those of us that pay federal taxes.

o

It would be comical if it was not so pathetic and insulting to those of us that pay federal taxes.

Demi does not speak for me. I pay federal taxes and I am not insulted.

o

Everyone in my family pays federal taxes and none of us are insulted either.

o

I pay taxes, federal and state. I don't begrudge 35,000 happy people a day at the WH.

Here is a link that might be useful: 135 year WH tradition with fun archival pictures

o

The peoples house....the White House, has been open to the people for 200 years. Obama's legacy I suppose. btw...I pay taxes too.

o

I pay taxes. Lots of them. Not insulted at all. Demi sure does not speak for me either.

Now what is petty and insulting is to bring up costs for Obama/Biden and their families for leaving the White House. Like lily said, no Republican President/Vice President or their families ever left the White House, of course. Oh, wait, there was that little fact that their favorite Bush spent more days on vacation. Darn, it's those facts again that keep getting in the way. Don't you hate it when that happens?

o

Remind me jill...when did Bush shut down the White House to the public?

o

Nice try, mrsk, but you know very well that is not I meant petty, petty, petty as you interpret it.

o

Petty, Pathetic and Predictable.

The Easter Egg Hunt has been a White House tradition since 1878. It was discontinued for a few years during WWI and WWII.

Anyone complain and this tradition when George Bush was in the White House?

~Ann

o

Nope ann t, and no one is complaining about it now that I can see. The White House belongs to the people...not whoever happens to be the current resident.

o

mrsK - I know facts are not your thing. But if you would like to discover some, go read the thread(s) you started on the topic where facts were explained. Not about to do it all again. Would just be a complete waste of time. They are there for you if you're interested, which I suspect you're not.

o

I heard they stopped them for a while after 9/11.

o

jill, the only interest you have in anything is picking fights with conservatives. I just don't want to play with you..ok?

o

We pay plenty of federal taxes and I'm totally not insulted that the first couple played hosts for 35,000 people on the WH grounds. Oh, it was just a photo op for the president, was it?. Too damn bad he's so personable and photogenic compared to last occupant.

o

I don't care that they have the Easter egg hunt its the fact that taxpayers and citizens are kicked out of the people's house while Biden can waste money.

The egg hunt was a photo op the tours were not.

Simple petulant and that's about the only thing transparent about this administration

Apologize for typing and punctuation today stuck in Memphis airport for 7 hours this iPhone is difficult for me to see and use

o

Esh, apparently the Bush's hosted an Easter Egg Hunt April 1st, 2002.

I would think that those upset about the White House being closed for tours would be happy to see it opened again for the Egg Hunt.

~Ann

o

Relax, everyone. The veep is just prepping for his run in 2016, sounds like:

"Biden to Take Third Vacation of the Year
by Keith Koffler on March 29, 2013, 12:28 am

Vice President Biden today is enjoying his third vacation of the year, a five day sojourn on South Carolina’s luxurious Kiawah Island, where he will no doubt partake of his favorite pastime, golf.

Biden and his wife Jill arrived on the island ��" known as a golf mecca ��" Thursday night and are not scheduled to depart before Monday.

Biden’s trip is the latest episode in a bout of rampant vacationing by the First and Second Families, who have been roaring out of Washington this year on taxpayer-funded excursions even as the deficit mounts and the sequester axes jobs and critical spending on other priorities.

While both President Obama and Biden pick up some of the tab for their recreational travel, the bulk of the costs ��" including flights aboard Air Force One and Air Force Two and security and staff needs ��" are billed to taxpayers.

Biden should feel especially refreshed when he returns given that he just had a vacation last month in Snowmass, Colorado, where he spent several days over President’s Day weekend. Close by in a neighboring section of Colorado’s ski country was First Lady Michelle Obama, who was taking her second vacation of the year in Aspen.

Over the same President’s Day weekend, President Obama was roving the fairways at an exclusive golf resort in Florida where he got pointers both from Tiger Woods and Tiger’s famous former coach. He and Mrs. Obama had already spent part of late December and early January in Hawaii.

Biden’s first trip this year was a sun worshiping exercise in the U.S. Virgin Islands, where he stayed with his family from Friday, January 4 until Tuesday, January 8.

South Carolina is also a crucial presidential primary state that Biden ��" believed to be strongly considering a run in 2016 ��" no doubt has his eye on. Biden reportedly will be back in the state in May when he headlines the annual Jefferson Jackson Dinner, a Democratic fundraising event in the state’s capital, Columbia.

But while his presence in South Carolina over the next few days will generate some local publicity, Biden is sticking to rest and relaxation and has no public events scheduled."

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Thanks snoopy Elvis

I should have known more feeding at the trough

o

the only interest you have in anything is picking fights with conservatives

It has nothing to do with political views but rather the comlete disregard for factual explanation presented in several previous threads.

What an insult to those who take the time to explain the nature of the sequester cuts only to have you ignore the facts again and again and again.

The cancellation of White House tours due to sequestration cuts to the Secret Service is the new Benghazi -- the lazy person's criticism du jour as there aren't the contortions to perform as with absolving the CIA of its intelligence and security failures.

o

And we paid for those eggs at probably inflated prices!

o

Remind me jill...when did Bush shut down the White House to the public?

So mrskjun, did Bush shut down the White House to the public after 9/11?

o

Thanks, nancy! Saved me some typing. And certainly better said than I would have.

And, MrsK, trust me when I say I have no interest in playing anything with you. But that won't stop me from pointing out your blatant disregard for facts. You may fool yourself, and a few others here, but everyone else knows your game all too well.

o

You may fool yourself, and a few others here, but everyone else knows your game all too well.

jill, do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is? This is a forum, a place where people discuss topics, sometimes heatedly, sometimes not. We don't change the world here, and no ones life depends on what we have to say. So get over your feelings of self importance why don't you!

o

jill, do you have any idea how ridiculous that statement is? This is a forum, a place where people discuss topics, sometimes heatedly, sometimes not. We don't change the world here, and no ones life depends on what we have to say. So get over your feelings of self importance why don't you!

So, if one cares about the facts, they have feelings of self importance? Interesting take on things for sure.

Where did I say we change the world, or anyone's life depends on anything here? You sound a little hysterical to me.

My point, which I know is totally lost on you, is that most people care about facts. Especially when talking about hot topics, the facts are what really matters. I really don't understand what is so hard to grasp about this. Making up stuff to support an already decided on position is childish. I am not surprised when my 12 year old does it. I am surprised when an adult does. Perhaps I shouldn't be. Especially when it happens so often. To me, that is what is ridiculous.

o

"So mrskjun, did Bush shut down the White House to the public after 9/11?"

Nope. Federal agencies activated protocols set up under Clinton, to be used in the event of a terrorist attack. All federal buildings were evacuated.

A terrorist attack on American soil was a major crisis.

Sequestration was not.

By the way, if the president wanted the White House open, he would have taken the money from Donald Trump. Meanwhile, money was no problem for his own kids' spring break adventures.

Lavish vacations for the first daughters. Not even a White House tour for the children of the peasants. The monarchy has its priorities.

o

jill, the only interest you have in anything is picking fights with conservatives. I just don't want to play with you..ok?

Mrsk--you are beginning to sound like paulines on the subject of jodi. The Forum didn't appreciate her obsession with another poster any more than it appreciates your obsession with jill.

Besides, you are the one on this thread that started the "game" of arguing (picking a fight), just for the sake of arguing, with your political opponents--jill was just exercising her free speech rights to respond to the topic you brought up.

Amazing how you cannot see your own behavior in what you accuse jill of doing. I think it is called "projection."

So how about if we all drop the personal nit-picking? I will -- right now!

Kate

o

The last time the White House closed its doors to school groups was after the September 11, 2001, attacks. The tours resumed the following February, with a suspension in the spring of 2003 during the U.S. invasion of Iraq.

nik, the tours WERE cancelled after 9/11. The reasons why are different, of course, but they were cancelled.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

o

One wonders why no one seems to question why the Republican controlled House didn't include additional funding to fund the White House Tours in the Continuance Bill they passed last month

They included extra money for defense, money the defense department doesn't even want. They loosened restrictions on some defense budgets giving them more flexibility in what they cut.

They catered to the huge Food Lobby and removed budget cuts from the Food Inspection budget...but they didn't do anything to fund the resumption of White House Tours.

Why do you suppose that is? Is it becasue they don't see the tours as important or is it that they like the fact the WH is taking heat for this?

Regardless they could have fixed this and chose not to......

o

Meanwhile, congress, who is responsible for determining what money is spent on anything, is off on yet another 2 week spring break.

People do know that taxing and spending are the responsibility of Congress, right? Right? They do know that, right?

o

Could be chase, that private individuals have offered to foot the bill...still waiting for Obama to accept the offer. But don't hold your breath.

o

Mrs, you may not realize this but the President cannot accept "donations" for the salaries of the Secret Service employed by the WH. Even if he could it would absolutely inappropriate for private citizens to pay the SS to protect the President and his family......

It's not an Easter Egg Roll...it's SS salaries.

edited to add

BUT Congress could have allocated funds and they chose not to a point you seem to want to ignore.

This post was edited by chase on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:53

o

Nope david...taxing and spending is under the prevue of George Bush only. Guess things have changed huh?

o

Still not willing to admit you were wrong that George Bush closed the White House tours ... twice ... on his term, mrskjun?

o

Boehner, probably wanted to get back out on to the golf course. He apparently golfs more than 100 times a year. Not a big deal but then again it shouldn't be a big deal when President Obama golfs occasionally either.

~Ann

o

esh, it wasn't to punish the American people because he was being a petulant child.

And Kate, I missed your post...completely SOB. Wonder why. And I doubt...no, I know that you don't notice. But I rarely engage jill in discussion. It's demi that she has stalked since the first day she joined this forum, with claws in sharpened mode. Just because I prefer not to engage her, since discussion is not her motive. But feel free to interject yourself in our exchange at any time. Even if you don't have a clue.

o

Quite the contrary Mrs...the tours were cancelled twice during the Bush Presidency and now during the Obama Presidency for exactly the same reason......... SECURITY !

......but have at it

o

But I rarely engage jill in discussion. It's demi that she has stalked since the first day she joined this forum, with claws in sharpened mode.

Your perception of reality is really fascinating.

You seem to "engage me" anytime I post something contrary to you or demi.

And your perception that I "stalk" demi is quite skewed. In fact, I do believe it is you that is stalking me. But, go ahead. It's fine. I can handle myself and don't need to resort to silly accusations as clearly you do.

o

It's demi that she has stalked since the first day she joined this forum,

So grade school. You disagreed with my friend. Back to the usual accusing people of stalking, bullying, creepy adolescent stuff. Why adults do not have the strength of character to accept a disagreement as just a disagreement. Because someone disagrees with you it is not stalking, bullying or creepy. All things that kid say on the school bus on their way to grade school.

I noticed Fox has been teaching a new word. "Petulant". I guess they know it is easy for the RW children to remember when referring to their children. I see it repeated from the RW here at HT these days without giving it the honor of a quote. Using the talking points should be in quotes.

o

Embarrassing. The whole "Obama is out to get us/punish us/ruin our country" schtick is so embarrassing.

o

I'm pretty sure bringing Demi into a discussion she isn't involved in is considered stalking.....at least that's what I recall to be the Demi "stalking" rule to be.

.....so Mrs are you stalking Demi?

o

The very short minds of the Righties here might recall their beloved Bush took 1,020 vacation days while president, 879 at Crawford ranch chopping wood when he should have been preventing 911. A five week vacation prior to 911 , he should have been reading memorandums of planes flying into buildings.

o

For God's sake Chase, can't for once you not interject and make these stirring the pot posts?

Mrskjun is noting what I have, that jillinnj has in the past made it a point to insult and disparage me for only giving my opinion.

I feel we had some common ground in a thread a few weeks ago, and those comments aren't as frequent or as objectionable to me and I'd much rather find common ground with jillinnj and anyone else than become involved in what has happened in the past.

We have had some pleasant exchanges and I would like to have a good relationship with jillinnj and we will as long as personal remarks aren't made. I think we're on that road and I'm happy about that.

It is obvious that some prolific posters that DID involve themselves in this behavior are no longer posting.

It is obvious to me that the tenor now is at least tolerable, and not as bad as it once was.

So, I'm calling a Rodney King and saying, "Can't we all get along?"

That means disagreeing with someone or arguing facts, but not making assumptions about a person's character, integrity, and intent and motives by posting about them, personally, in this regard.

That means not stirring the pot in that regard.

o

Think what you will Demi but I wasn't stirring the pot , just pointing out that bringing you into a discussion you were not involved in has , in the pat, been deemed stalking by you.

If that is not the case then I totally misunderstood what you have previously said.

o

Lilly, and they forget that the amount of money spent on George going to his ranch is way in excess of what has been spent on President Obama's trips.

~Ann

Here is a link that might be useful: Bush Spent 5 times More................

o

Ann, Thanks for the link. I'd advise the Righties here to read it and then stop the constant negative comments on the president playing golf or the first lady going skiing. Your guy was a thousand times worse, and so was Reagan.

o

I'd advise the Righties here to read it

They won't. Or if they do, they'll ignore it. It's those darn facts that keep getting in the way. Which is exaclty the "game" I was referring to that MrsK doesn't seem to understand. Or doesn't want to understand.

o

"nik, the tours WERE cancelled after 9/11. The reasons why are different, of course, but they were cancelled."

The false claim was made that Bush shut down the White House to the public. I corrected that misinformation.

"nik and mrs, get over yourselves. This is petty, petty, petty."

Pidge, We will have to agree to disagree, as this is a shared forum. I don't need, nor am I seeking your approval. I think the lack of stewardship for taxpayer money by this White House is immoral and will continue to say so.

o

The false claim was made that Bush shut down the White House to the public. I corrected that misinformation.

Not getting that? The tours were cancelled. Is that different than "Bush shut down the White House to the public"? Has the Obama administration done it differently?

o

And the Easter egg roll was not done for 12 years till Eisenhower reinstated it in 1959.

o

It is easy to verify that the White was indeed closed to visitors after 9/11 for security reasons as were other government institutions.

Prior to 9/11 your were able to visit spontaneously but now, you are required to make a reservation.

Nikoleta, you should really check your information before continuing to make false claims and taunt other posters.

o

Still curious why no righteous indignation that Congress did not see fit to add funding for WH security to the funding bill passed last month ?

Funny how pesky facts are ignored in favor of petty jabs.

Why do you suppose that is?

o

I don't know chase. How do they do it in Canada?

o

Mrs that is just about your worst deflection to date......

We don't have a WH....we don't have tours of the PM' s residence....we don't have a Secret Service...we don't have a Congress ...we don't have sequestration.......

Other than that it's about the same.......

So please tell me why is it that Congress did not feel it necessary to fund the SS so WH tours could resume....they funded lots of other things....things that were important like tanks the military doesn't even want.

Why is it you can never answer a direct question instead offer sarcastic and unrelated barbs? I'm left to believe it is because you are stuck when a question is posed that has not been covered in the"talking points".

o

Oh I get it chase. Let's forget that Obama cut funding for White House tours, let's find a way to blame congress, right? Why don't you tell me why Obama cut funding for the White House tours to begin with?

o

And please keep in mind...sequestration cuts 2% in the INCREASE in spending. So why not cut back a day out of the year to cover that 2% in the INCREASE in spending.

o

I found the statement

"President Bush and his staff would make day trips on Air Force One all across the country in order to counter the criticism that he was on vacation too often."

I'm not sure that this is a true vacation expense just because he flew from his ranch. Obama makes frequent day trips using Air Force One to make speeches and these trips aren't considered vacation trips. The way I understand the article is that if Bush had made these trips from the White House they wouldn't have been vacation trips but because they were made from Texas they were vacation expenses. The cost of making the trip changes some based on where one starts but I disagree that these trips which are not unlike the ones every President makes shouldn't be included in the cost of a Presidential vacation.

Adding those trips that the President would have probably made no matter where he was sleeping to the cost of his vacation is bogus.

o

And please keep in mind...sequestration cuts 2% in the INCREASE in spending. So why not cut back a day out of the year to cover that 2% in the INCREASE in spending.

You just don't get it, do you? While it can be considered 2% of the total budget, it's not just 2% of EVERY budget; some got no cuts at all. Others were cut more than 2%.

Honestly, mrskjun, could you at least argue the points that other folks are trying to argue instead of skirting around them?

So please tell me why is it that Congress did not feel it necessary to fund the SS so WH tours could resume....they funded lots of other things....things that were important like tanks the military doesn't even want.

If you don't know, then just say something like 'I don't know but it seems like they sure could have handled that and I guess it wasn't as important to them as it was to me.'

You just never given an inch to acknowledge that someone on the other side of the aisle (so to speak) might have a valid point.

o

"It is easy to verify that the White was indeed closed to visitors after 9/11 for security reasons as were other government institutions."

Yep. But not by Bush, as was falsely claimed.

"So why not cut back a day out of the year to cover that 2% in the INCREASE in spending."

Because it's not about the money. The people, through their elected leaders, did not give the White House want it wanted.

Americans are witnessing a prolonged tantrum, door slamming and all. It's really quite extraordinary.

o

Yep. But not by Bush, as was falsely claimed.

Then by WHO? Bush was president at the time.

Are you saying that Obama is personally responsible for this closure while Bush was not personally responsible for the closure when he was president?

Americans are witnessing a prolonged tantrum

By the Republican party and it's supporters!

o

So Nik, do you have any perspective on why Congress did not choose to fund the reinstatement of the tours?

They dealt with several other issues related to sequestration. They gave extra dollars to defense for tanks they don;t want. They loosened the guidelines on obligatory cuts for several other budgets. The reduced the cuts to the Food and Drug based on a "request" from the Food lobby....but they did nothing to ease the cuts to the Secret Service budget at the WH.

o

As esh mentions the cuts were not 2%.

They were between 8 % - 10 % depending on the department. The OVERALL cut equals about 2 % because so many departmental budgets were NOT affected.

However, as usual facts are dismissed in favour of statements intended to mask the truth.

o

Why should they chase? Did they shut down the tours? Obama did this, a measly one million dollars. Pennies compared to what he has sent to Egypt. Want to blame congress now? How bout going back and blaming Bush. This president is responsible for nothing!

o

Why should they chase?

Because you keep saying that people care about White House tours A LOT. Why isn't Congress listening?

Did they shut down the tours?

They specified the Secret Service budget cut. Obama didn't.

o

The White House chose to shut down the tours esh. The White House, President Obama chose to shut down the tours. That dog won't hunt!

o

Mrs, If these tours are as important as you seem to think they are then It seems to me you would be encouraging Congress to address the SS budget cuts .

The Food lobby got millions and millions put back into the Food and Drug budget. Congress had the opportunity to act yet they choose not to. I am sure there is a reason and I suspect your " Why should they" comes close to the answer.

Why should they fund the tours when they can use the canceled tours to create negative press for the President? A million dollars well spent!

.....you see making him look bad is way more important than those bus loads of disappointed kids.

o

Who made him look bad chase? Congress? Private individuals have offered to come forward with the money to keep the tours open. Have you asked Obama why he won't take the offer? Have you asked him out of all things to cut, why it was the White House tours, that affected mostly school kids?

I know, I know, gotta keep those secret service guys freed up for the golf games.

o

mrskjun, the Secret Service budget was cut so some cutbacks had to be made. Do you have a credible link that it was Obama HIMSELF that made the decision that it would be the tours?

Unfortunately your dog appears to be hunting something that doesn't exist. Maybe you should call him in.

As Chase said, Congress had the opportunity to allocate more funding for this. They chose not to.

But do carry on with your line of thinking; it's all very amusing that y'all are so single minded: obama, Obama, OBAMA!

o

Mrs, do you red all the posts or just some.

As I mentioned up thread, the WH cannot take private donations for SS funding.

I am suprised that you don't know that ALL donations to the government must be UNCONDITIONAL and go to the general coffers. That's the law.

Only CONGRESS can allocate funds.

Just more of those pesky facts that keep getting in the way of spurious arguments.

This post was edited by chase on Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 9:42

o

To paraphrase jerzeegirl -- noun, verb, Benghazi White House tours.

o

I have come to understand than when the facts get ahead of the smoke the arsonists bail out!

o

The leaders of the wealthiest, most powerful empire in history travel with their body guards, a country with a 3.8 trillion dollar annual budget, and this is what we worry about.

o

Americans are witnessing a prolonged tantrum

Is this the new "had enough yet America?"

o

I wonder about this Obama guy-perhaps he is a series of clones that he has so much time on his hands(especially since he spends so much time playing golf) He manages the budget of the White House? And I thought he was kept busy being the leader of the free world.
I think part of the problem here is what is "the White House" The administration gets conflated with the actual buildings-buildings that have a life outside of the present or any administration. Even the president does not manage the buildings.

Why is it so expensive for our leaders to travel you might ask yourself? Perhaps it is because there are so many people and indeed entire countries who would like to see our leaders dead? I would think the job of being a President or VP would be difficult enough without having to live in a bunker for the 4-8 years they serve us and frankly that is going to affect our world standing since the rest of the world is going to be reassessing a country that cant even afford for their leaders to be seen in public. That is going to make us look powerful and unassaliable.

o

And least MY VP didn't shoot a man in the face.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 3, 13 at 17:51

Biden usually shoots himself in the foot ;) but I love ol' Joe, he's ok by me.
No doubt a VP Ryan would be flying coach, ya think?

As far as the WH tours, makes me wonder if some folks are going on with less food due to the more quiet cuts? Thought that I heard meals-on-wheels was cut somehow, hope it's not true.

o

"Then by WHO? Bush was president at the time."

You're kidding me. You honestly didn't know agencies create scenarios, or that Clinton made sure there were federal inter-agency plans for handling the aftermath of a terror attack? You thought Bush was trying to figure all that stuff out on 9/11, AFTER the attacks???

"Are you saying that Obama is personally responsible for this closure while Bush was not personally responsible for the closure when he was president?"

Pretty much. Bush had protocols. He was dealing with an act of war, three thousand victims incinerated on American soil, and endless unknowns. We did not know how many targets or attackers we were dealing with.

President Obama was not dealing with a crisis or enemies. His problem was separation of powers his perceived "enemies" merely the elected representatives of the people.

I figure the White House will remain closed to the people as long as the president wants it that way. Good news for the elites, though. No chance sports figures, Hollywood celebrities or wealthy donors will be locked out. That treatment is reserved for commoners.

o

"mrskjun, the Secret Service budget was cut so some cutbacks had to be made. Do you have a credible link that it was Obama HIMSELF that made the decision that it would be the tours? "

Probably not. The president probably didn't know anything about it, and I doubt he can control his staff if they decide to do something. Right?

"An administration official, seeking to clarify the president’s remarks, stressed that the decision to cancel the tours never came to the Oval Office, falling personally to Obama, but that it was ultimately made by White House staff."

And the president feels really bad about it, too: "“I’m always amused when people on the one hand say the sequester doesn’t mean anything and the administration’s exaggerating its effects; and then whatever the specific effects are, they yell and scream and say, ‘Why are you doing that?’ Well, there are consequences to Congress not having come up with a more sensible way to reduce the deficit,” Obama said."

So that's that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Who Cancelled the Public Tours?

o

Back to the OP - I was held up by the President's entourage this afternoon as he left his speech and went to Buckley AFB. Three identical Limo's, flocks of secret service, 60 vehicles every time he moves.

I imagine that for the VP, it isn't scaled down all that much.

o

I love it! Every indignant post by the anti-Obama folks tells me just how much this White House tour closure irks them. Poor things.

o

Well if it is so important why doesn't Congress, the only power that can allocate funds, just rescind the budget cuts to the Secret Service at the WH?

They can but they didn't ...wonder why that is?

o

So an Administration official states that Obama did not make the decision but that it was made by White house staff-also known as the people who manage the actual White house, the people who budget the money to run the place and Obama points out that congressional decisions have impacts and that only they can fix this thing and it is somehow Obama's fault?

Frankly if I were the part of the staff trying to decide where to cut I would go for the most public point that I could because if you try to hide the impact from the public they dont know that eventually the roof is going to leak because that is what you put on the back burner so they could keep coming and walk around the buildings. They had to make cuts remember-not making cuts was not an option. They elected to pay their employees and maintain the structure.

o

Patriciae, good points but I think there is a misunderstanding with regards to which budget cut resulted in the cancellation of the WH tours.

The WH did have cuts to their budget which they absorbed in various ways , reduction in web site updates, cuts to the First Lady's budget, stationary, expense statements, WH staff furloughs.etc.

However the budget cut that impacted the WH tours was NOT to the WH budget it was to the Secret Service budget which is NOT part of the WH budget.

The Secret Service does much more than WH duty including protecting members of Congress, visiting dignitaries, protection of American politicians ( of both parties) when traveling and the like,

The Secret Service budget took an 8 % hit and the head of the SS decided how that cut would be best absorbed......his determination was WH tours, and several other cuts ,particularly to overtime was the best approach so as not to compromise safety.

It would be inappropriate for the President to override the decision of any Department Head in terms of how they choose to deal with the Sequestration cuts.....it is their responsibility to administer the Departmental Budgets ...not the Presidents.

I honestly don't think most people understand how these cuts were allocated and decisions taken...it is so much easier to take your cues from the bobble heads.

If anyone is interested the details of which departments were hit , and by how much the information is available on the internet ...it is quite enlightening.

Here is a link that might be useful: OMB Allocation of sequester cuts and exemtions.

o

Chase, it must strike you as odd that you know more about your neighboring country than so many who actually live in it! :-)

o

You took the words out of my mouth, Jodi.

I commend you, chase, for repeating the facts about this. It won't matter to those that only care about making Obama look bad. The facts don't make him look bad, so make up something else that does. Embarrassing.

o

It's quite easy to locate information if one is proactive and curious to understand the facts.

According to the document I attached The Secret Service had a mandatory 8.2% cut to it's budget for a total of $136 Million dollars....

No ifs , ands , or buts .....they were MANDATED to remove $136 Million dollars from their operating expenses. Salaries would clearly by the lion's share of their budget..

Let's just hope the cuts they had to make don't jeopardize the lives and safety of your elected officials and visiting dignitaries.

o

if one is...curious to understand the facts

There you have it...some clearly aren't.

o

understand the facts

Conflict of interest right there.

o

Chase, I have always thought you way more informed that probably 3/4 of the people living in this country.

o

You know some sound like mistresses. The married man keeps telling them his wife is bad and she does not love him. They keep believing what their married lover tells them without question.

Fox is their married lover. They cannot handle the truth. They need to believe what they are told. Information is to easy to find if you really want to know the truth. I would really prefer that is the case than people are functionally illiterate. Although they do seem to accept there congressmen cannot read since they keep saying they could not read the health care bill.

Thank you Chase for your efforts. You really do contribute with the spirit of a discussion board. Shame it seems to be futile.

o

Yes Chase-you are so right in all the details, I was trying to be too succinct... I was just sure that the SS worked closely with the White House staff to decide what part of White House protection could be cut with safety and that would be to the advantage of both. There are also National Park Service Police that would be in the mix as they provide part of the security and the decision would affect them as well. I just cant believe any one thinks that the President would be brought in to make any of the decisions. He has his own job to do. It does not include the day to day running of the White House. SS and White House staff are not political positions. They are federal employees and only the most senior of White House household staff serve at the presidents pleasure-as they say. Traditionally the president does not change senior staff. Someone under the Chief Usher would have worked with the SS to make the decision of where to best cut security.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here