Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Light 'em if you got 'em! E- cigarettes are safe, at

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 5:07

least according to some research. It seems that the nicotine you crave is delivered in a vapor without all of the tar and other chemicals. Would you light up again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Light 'em if you got 'em! E- cigarettes are safe, at

It has apparently been found that E-cigarettes are just exchanging one habit for another, and quitting them is as difficult as quitting actual cigarettes.

A person is better off just quitting, period... as difficult as it might be.

o

Willie smokes vaporized weed and is still going strong...

o

And?

o

When the dr told me I had to quit smoking...thank goodness for E cigarettes. I still use them when I get a strong urge to smoke. Just a little nicotine, like chewing Nicorette gum or using the patches, but with none of the side effects of smoking.

o

I used a vapor cig to quite smoking. It was easier to wean off of than an actual cigarette, at least for me.

I stopped smoking August of 2011, stopped vaping (this term is just not happening is it?) around February the next year, and went to Nicorette, then dropped that around May of 2012.

All of it sucks though. I still want a real cigarette about every second of every day, and nothing has made me stop feeling that way yet.

o

How about a chew?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 8:44

TxanGoddess it never goes away, I know people who quit smoking for over 20 years tell me they still want a cigarette, and I have fought this demon myself :)

When himself was in the hospital before he passed away he asked me for a cigarette every day, and he had quit smoking over 10 years earlier. I would tell him "you don't smoke" and he would say "yes I do".

o

LOL Richard...tried that when I was about seven. We grew tobacco on our farm and one of our field hands made his own twist for chewing. I expressed an interest in trying it and he obliged. omg...I must have turned every shade of green known to man...he sure got a kick out of that.

o

Chewing what passes for today's commercially sold chewing tobacco is pretty nasty, in my opinion. The spitting is gross, the wad makes one look like a chipmunk, and the cancers are quite visible. I'll pass.

o

Yes, I did pipes, cigars and cigarettes, but a chew I just couldn't do...

o

I agree with Jodi that the E cigarettes, gum, patches, etc. are just trading one form of nicotine addiction for another, albeit perhaps a less harmful one. Although I don't know because some people have claimed they have long term addictions to the gum and they are having jaw problems, losing teeth, and other horrible effects.

Despite being something of a health nut, I was a social smoker off and on for years. I think this was because nicotine was an early addiction - my mother smoked while she was pregnant, so I was born with it, and both my parents smoked throughout almost all of our childhood, so 2nd hand smoke was always in the house (the thought is mind-boggling now, but it was "normal" back then).

I quit cold turkey October 2011 and haven't touched a cigarette since. Did it by reading "Whyquit.com" every night for a month, almost every page on that site, and downloaded the eBook and read that too. Finally, the nicotine addiction all made sense and mentally I got the upper hand.

The actual physical addiction subsides in 3 days after quitting nicotine, but I think the psychological addiction is much more complicated and challenging.

o

Haven't had a cigarette in over 20 years , nicotine can be used as an organic pesticide!

o

I agree--nicotine substitutes (such as the gum, the patch, etc.) are just trading one addiction for another. Never made sense to me, and the one time I tried the patch, couldn't stand it after a week--and went back to smoking.

Chantix did work and I recommend it. Had to take it for 6 months, but after the first week, I was not tempted again to smoke.

But years later, yes, I still think daily about smoking. I just don't feel tempted to actually pick one up.

I don't mind occasionally passing by a smoker and taking in a whiff of second-hand smoke. Makes me nostalgic--but I still have no desire to actually pick up a cigarette.

Chantix is the way to go--for those of you still struggling with the issue. You doctor will explain it to you.

Kate

o

But not on tomatoes right?

I remember someone [who I respected] telling me to carefully wash my hands after smoking if I was going to be gardening because there was a virus tomatoes could catch from tobacco.

Might have been an old wives tale I guess, but I still did it lol.

o

There is a virus. It's called tobacco mosaic virus, I believe.

Lots of info below at link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tobacco Mosaic Virus

o

• Posted by rilie Z5 Eastern Canada (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 13:26

I think I've been lucky.... I quit in 2008 using the Nicoderme patch and haven't looked back. i don't miss it and I rarely think of it, even among other smokers. I was the only non-smoker on a recent family vacation (although my sister recently quit and has 3 weeks in... yay!!). My husband is only a very casual, social smoker but I beg him daily to quit... I watched my father die of lung cancer (my childhood was similar to Terrene's) and wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

o

Cigarettes are not tobacco-they are a carefully crafted mixture of all sorts of toxic crap that happens to include tobacco. The additives are very very bad for you so subing in just nicotine is probably going to help some but of course nicotine is an excellent poison for a murder mystery and the last thing I heard the only form of it avaliable for use by organic farmers is being pulled from the market. How do you apply it safely and I am not going to consume vegetables that are treated with it. Lots of things are organic. Chicken crap is organic,

o

The best way to quit smoking is to try to convince yourself that you can't stand the stink of cigarette smoke. It's aversion therapy and it works. I used to love the smell of cigarette smoke and now I just hate it - it makes me sick to my stomach. I also managed to convince myself that the act of smoking is an ugly and ridiculous thing to watch - people sucking on paper tubes. Never had to buy Nicorette lol.

o

One simply must be committed to quitting. And until one is ready to really make that commitment, nothing will really work, I found.

I committed to quit, but instead of going cold turkey, which I knew would never work for me, I quit slowly, a little at a time. It wasn't very hard, at all. And now, I'm down to one smoke, every once in a great while... and feeling much better for it.

It was probably easier for me because I've never been a heavy smoker, to begin with. I've never topped a pack a day, and didn't usually come close to emptying one within a 24 hour period.

Chantix worked wonders for my husband, though I do hear it doesn't work for everyone.

I think we each have to choose our own method, but even before we do that, the commitment to stop has to be real.

o

Yep jerzee. That's how I quit. I knew I stunk - clothes, hair, car, house. Quit for seven years once . Started again (divorce). Quit for five years. Now smoking again for two years. First time I quit, was like I had never smoked. Had not one single craving. Then met Bryan, who smokes so I smoked for several years. When I quit for the five years, I had cravings the whole time. Went back to school and began studying with a fellow student who smoked my old brand. Well, just had to have it.

After a long day at work, that first cigarette on the way home - I can feel it travel all the way down to my toes. Relaxing, unfortunately. Very unfortunately.

I know I'll quit again.

o

Oh, I love my e.cig - because I smoke menthol stuff, the vaping (no, it just doesn't sound right - I call mine a 'puffer') actually filled that ritualistic urge to sit, with a cig and reward oneself, at certain times of day (when dinner has been cooked, kids finally go to bed, after sex)....I have a friend who damaged their jaws by continually masticating gum. Also, it is so cheap - my nicotine habit costs me just over a dollar (your money) a week - 30ml of e.liquid lasts me almost 6 weeks. Have been a tad evangelical, boring my friends.......

o

Thanks for the support throughout the thread (hadn't read your post when I last posted ohiomom) and to all others too.

o

The spitting is gross, the wad makes one look like a chipmunk, and the cancers are quite visible. I'll pass.

Jodi, totally agree.

Yuck. I'm sorry if it's not politically correct to pick on tobacco chewers... that that is one nasty, disgusting, trashy habit. Your teeth are black and what makes you think I want to see you spit that disgusting crap all over the place?

Turns my stomach just to see someone with that puffed out cheek... start thinking "Please don't smile at me... Please don't smile at me... Please don't sm......oh gag...that's gross"

o

People who spit anything at all really hits my gag reflex. Especially those who chew,I have to get away or lunch will depart faster than the speed of sound.

Terrene, as it was explained to me, the nicotine has left the system in three days, and because of that, the withdrawals become difficult because the body is crying out for the substance it is addicted to but is no longer being fed. I have no idea of what is factual, but that always made sense to me.

It took three years of never, ever introducing even a single puff of a cigarette, nor using any other form of nicotine at all, period, before the craving and daily thoughts of wanting one finally, for the most part, slipped away. The beast has to be starved out, any little, very occasional treat will keep it nagging for more.

Some people never have any form of it again and still deal with intrusive thoughts. Some people never have a particularly difficult time with the whole quit process, my DH quit nearly 10 years before i did and he found it remarkably easy and has never had an intrusive thought after the first month!

Its been seven years I think for me. Bill Vincent would know for sure, we quit within three months of each other. There was a time I could rattle off the date, day, year, how many years I had not smoked., I do remember the hour though, 8:30 am. It is a testament to my hard work that I cant even recall with certainty how many years its been now, that is wonderful, to me.

Sometimes I will have an intrusive thought, maybe four times a year at the most. I will either have a huh? Where did that come from? reaction and laugh it off for the unimportant thought it is, then in less than 60 seconds its all behind me, forgotten.
Other times, for some reason, it really upsets me and even though the thought is gone, Im upset over having had it for hours.
It was terribly hard for me to quit and stayed that way for about a year. It was white knuckling that whole time, but I never broke. Then it became much more time between difficult periods and then it slowly, slowly faded away.

I greatly admire anyone who goes through the process of forevermore beating any addiction, my quitting smoking gave me a peek into the world of quitting addictions, it takes real fortitude and strength.
Its the best gift I ever gave to myself, in more ways than the obvious.

Congratulations to all us winners, however we did it.....WE DID IT!

(I went the patch route, used exactly as directed. I don't know if it physically helped me, but when I was down and out in a bad way, it helped to just touch it, knowing it was there was somehow a comfort)

o

Removed dbl posting

This post was edited by mylab123 on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 0:26

o

From my own experience I well understand that Nicotine is a powerfully addictive drug. Anyone who is or was a smoker knows you can't just have one now and again without getting the heebie-jeebies and running out for a pack.

As mylab says, it does take a long time to get over the physiological and psychological craving. However, the period of intense cold turkey (the physiological aspect) is not that long for everyone. It is incredibly hard to maintain the internal strength to overcome the urge to smoke, especially during the first 30 days, but you can do this. If you make it 4 weeks without a puff, an e-cigg, a patch or nicorette, you are well on your way. Then never, ever look back.

Yes, the urge comes back, but most of that is on the psychological side after the drug is out of your system. The psychological dependence is easier to beat that the physical addiction. Once you teach yourself how to win the internal argument you will prevail over that internal demon for life.

Do you know that the tobacco companies lace the natural tobacco in ciggs with extra nicotine to keep you as an addicted customer ? That is something that should motivate a lot of smokers, even those who are in denial and say they accept the health risks, to finally quit.

mrskjun said:
I still use them when I get a strong urge to smoke. Just a little nicotine, like chewing Nicorette gum or using the patches, but with none of the side effects of smoking.

That would be like watching Fox News just a little bit. :-)
Seriously, an addiction is an addiction. As mylab set forth, you have to absolutely quit..no cheating at all or you risk falling off the wagon. To get to the point of quitting you have to cut down the amount that you smoke daily so you do not have to be placed in a straight jacket once you finally decide to quit. I think one can do that by progressively reducing the amount of cigarettes they smoke on a daily basis in a gradual fashion. That is tough but there is no need to make yourself even more crazy by purchasing alternative nicotine products and then trying to quit using those.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 2:04

o

Boy, am I glad I never picked up that first cigarette. I grew up with a father who smoked and most everyone did back then except my mother. Husband smoked, and when our daughter was four , she told him to stop and he did cold turkey. Never one cigarette after that day. She probably saved his life. My father died from lung cancer.

o

Well, I told my husband I'd never kiss him again if he switched to chewing... which he used to do long ago when on the job, and he couldn't smoke at work.

I have never dated or kissed a tobacco chewer, and won't. Yuck! If that's your thing, it's your thing... and no offense, but I just don't want to be involved.

I don't want to trade one habit for another... I have enough problems as it is! I'd rather just do it my way, quit smoking slowly, and be done with it... and I am. I'm damn near done with it!

Summer will be the end... I don't smoke while working in the gardens or yard, so the end is very close! Yay! It will be so easy to just stop having that occasional smoke.

But I vow to NOT be one of those ex-smokers who chides everyone else on their bad habits, or the cost, or the smell, or the risks... we all have our issues, and it's my responsibility to work on mine, not preach to others.

I'm glad for those of you who have quit. That's a good thing!

o

I no longer have issues and I thank HT for that...

o

Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 7:05

Yeah smoking is the worst thing in the world to do .... and while y'all sit over your "booze" make sure you diss all the smokers.....

Jodi I sure do remember the heat you got not too long ago over this issue and the "silence of the lambs" at the time from "some" who could have admitted they were just human.

So it seems even our "personal" struggles can be partisan in nature ...

o

But I vow to NOT be one of those ex-smokers who chides everyone else on their bad habits, or the cost, or the smell, or the risks.

I'll join you on that one, jodi.

Kate

o

If I want to use alternative nicotine replacement for the rest of my life, why the heck should anyone care? I don't infringe on anyone else's space, it's water vapor. I'm not putting any of the evil tars and junk in my lungs that is so detrimental to ones health. I didn't quit because it was an addiction, even if it was. I quit seven months ago, have not touched a cigarette since, and know that I never will. I have friends who smoke and I would never tell them they can't. Having the e-cigarette on hand whenever that urge hits has been the best thing I could have done. I think most if not all ex smokers never completely lose that urge though it becomes fewer and further between.

o

"But I vow to NOT be one of those ex-smokers who chides everyone else on their bad habits, or the cost, or the smell, or the risks."

Not me.

If you smoke, you stink. Your house stinks. Your sweat sinks. Your breath stinks. Your clothing stinks. I can smell you coming half way down the street.

It is a very expensive habit. Worried about your finances? Instead of smoking to reduce the stress, quit your filthy habit.

Risks? It kills. In an expensive way that, now that we have Obamacare, I'm going to be paying for. It not only kills you, it kills everyone around you that has to breathe the polluted air you put out.

It's a disgusting, expensive way to kill yourself and the people around you.

"I think most if not all ex smokers never completely lose that urge though it becomes fewer and further between."

After all these years, I NEVER have the urge to pick up a cigarette.

I channel all that negative energy into giving other people who still smoke a hard time.

Works for me.

Hay

o

Hay... would you care to take a stab at who's not invited to my house for tea and crumpets... aside from the normal guesses you might make?

Ohiomom, I've been nailed to the cross for so many things I can't even remember all of them... though a few in particular do stand out quite comically... like I was somehow silently voted the poster person for everything that's wrong with people in general and every bad habit they've ever had, not to mention what's wrong with this country today. The secret is... I really don't give a rip. It doesn't do anything but show those people in their true colors. ;-)

Kate, I'll probably end up the nostalgic type... I recall you mentioning that a whiff of freshly lit cigarette brought back memories that were not unpleasant. :-)

o

But what I liked the most, and almost forgot to add, was Campanula's reference to the few small vices one may have as a way to cope, or alleviate anxiety or depression, or perhaps raise a spirit or lift a mood... and how dare anyone look down their collectives noses and rattle pointed fingers in any direction. One can't know the true measure of a person until they've walked that mile in their shoes...

o

jodik, on one level you are right. But our vices should only have consequences for us and not others. If I don't have insurance and have medical problems because I smoke, someone else shouldn't have to pay for that. If I had a child with allergies, I would have no right to smoke anywhere around them. If I collect benefits from taxpayers, I have no right to spend their money on my vice. Other than that, if I wanted to stay in my own home and chain smoke, it's no ones business but mine.

o

As a non smoker who had three puffs of a cigarette at a slumber party when I was 16, I never was sanctimonious about it, unless it infringed on my air space. Remember I grew up with a smoker, in fact everyone smoked anywhere ALL the time. When I had my first baby in the 60's, the woman in my room had visitors who smoked when my newborn was in the room. How far society has changed for the better in that case. .

My daughter's best friend stunk up my house when she visited because her parents were heavy smokers and her clothes reeked. They are both dead now of lung cancer.

I wish all of you who are trying to quit and have quit the best of luck. You can do it. Besides think of the money you'll save. It was 21 cents a pack when husband started in his teens.

o

.........and, we're off! GIrd your loins Jodi, they might be coming after you.

o

No worries, Mylab... I have no intention of acknowledging any mob with pitchforks and torches raised in outrage. I am impenetrable. :-)

o

If you are referring to me mylab, don't. I in no way was disparaging jodik for what she said. Just adding my thoughts. I've struggled for years to quit, I know how hard it is, and I wish her the best of luck.

o

If I don't have insurance and have medical problems because I smoke, someone else shouldn't have to pay for that.

We all pay whether you have insurance or not. The illnesses of smokers drive up the insurance premiums of the non smokers.

o

Mrsk, those were the very things that were said to jodi not so long ago when smoking related threads were taking place and even when it wasnt, then implied in a lot of posts aimed at her, much like that ugly business regarding her dog breeding - constant little digs at Jodi, for a very long time, out of the blue. Years. Im so grateful you weren't one of them, and I do apologize to you for implying that the words were directed at her.

o

Well, I certainly still have my vices and foibles, only nicotine isn't one of them anymore! But it would be, if it weren't so horrible for you, because I like smoking and like the effects of nicotine.

I also finally got the sh*t scared out of me, thinking about the possibility of having to use some inhaler like Advair some day, carting around my oxygen, or dying of some wasting smoking-related disease that reduces me to a decrepit piece of flesh laying in the hospital (not that this can't happen without having smoked).

I once had a young, clean cut law student for a tenant, who chewed tobacco. I don't allow smoking but chewing seemed harmless. Once went in his apartment, the spittoons are disgusting! Also after he moved out I found little splatters of dark nicotine spots all over the floor and walls, next to spots where his bed and his desk used to be. Guess that's where he would do his spitting...

o

I quit cold turkey 29 years ago. never had another one.

o

I am very surprised to find that so many posters here either smoke, or have smoked in the past.

If anyone has quit, good for you.
If you're trying, good for you.

I'm like Lily, so glad I never did smoke--although both parents and both brothers did.

For the cash strapped or poor, there are even more incentives to not smoke than health incentives--just look what being responsible and saving money instead and buying cigarettes will get you:

From The True Cost of Cigarette Smoking by Keith Rawlinson:

"Let's take a look at what smoking really costs in terms of dollars:

For this example, we will use $5.50 as the average cost for a pack of cigarettes. We will also figure that the average smoker smokes one pack per day.

$5.50 per day gives a monthly average of $165.00 spent on cigarettes. If , instead of spending it on cigarettes, you were to just save that $165.00 every month in a cookie jar where it earned no interest whatsoever, you would have the following:

$9,900 in five years.

$19,800 in ten years.

$39,600 in twenty years.

And don't forget, this was without earning any interest."

"This time, just for the fun of it, let's put the money into a decent Growth Stock Mutual Fund earning an average of 10% per year, which is a reasonable, historical average. Here's what happens now:

$12,777 in five years.

$33,799 in ten years.

$125,295 in twenty years.

You could possibly pay your house off completely in twenty years with money that would otherwise have been spent on smoking.
Even if you don't want to wait twenty years, think about what you could do if you had $12,777 to spend as you pleased every five years.
Imagine having $12,777 to put toward buying a car every five years."

I've noticed several ads for the E cigarettes.
It will be interesting to see how the marketing of this product evolves.

o

The television ad starring actor Stephen Dorff has to be the cheesiest ad ever made, I cringe every time it's on. He must have needed the money badly to agree to do the ad in the way it was written!

o

Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:29

Demi, that is why I finally quit. I know if should have been for my health, but it wasn't. It was because I was disgusted by what it was costing me. They are over $10 per package now where I live in Canada - that's $300+ per month for a pack-a-day-smoker. I think they were around $8 when I quit.

o

Funny thing is, even though I quit two years ago, I'm still a total broke ass.

Love the comment from someone that they wouldn't have quit if it wasn't so bad for them lol. Who would quit something they liked doing unless it was bad for them?

Smoking is not the only thing I would still be doing if it were not bad for me ....

o

Terrene, I have known more than one person who died of lung cancer... without EVER having smoked anything. And that would include cigarettes, cigars, any form of tobacco or tobacco products... and never smoked marijuana... not a thing. So, it's very possible.

And I know a person or two who have developed issues from severe asthma and allergies, not related to tobacco, and they now require different inhalers and/or oxygen to breathe somewhat normally.

I would think there are many diseases of the lungs that are attained in other ways, aside from smoking... such as through breathing in certain chemicals, perhaps work related, etc... miners, and coal miners in particular are susceptible to issues. Persons who worked with asbestos might be candidates, etc. Veterans of various wars are candidates. And from what I understand, persons exposed to the oil dispersants used at crude oil spills have a greater than average chance of developing various cancers and other issues, some lung related from being in the path of dropped chemicals.

Mylab, I can recall when cigarettes were advertised on television, arrived in one's mailbox as free samples, and cost less than a quarter per pack. The industry has certainly played it well over the decades...

Where I live, many brands haven't reached $5 per pack... some are right around that amount, and a few are over. It all depends on the brand... and there's a discount for buying quantity, as in a carton. Or, one can roll their own for much less in price. So, not everyone is paying the same high cost. It simply depends on where one lives.

It would be difficult to do the math without exact pricing, exact taxing, and the amount, type, and brand of product known... so I won't even try. That would be like trying to give a total on what a particular person has spent on shoes, or furniture, or entertainment for a specific amount of time... without knowing that person. It can't be done.

o

Well it's true, there are rarely more sanctimonious types than the reformed addict.I don't think the language of 'stinking up the house' and so on is very nice either - after all, as a cyclist, I am not going about in a rage at the vehicles 'stinking up the environment'. Even more distasteful are the current debates (in the UK at least) suggesting smokers (and drinkers, and the overweight) should be denied free medical treatment because they are the architects of their own ill health. I would have thought the poor logic behind this sort of thinking would be obvious to everyone (at least everyone who drives a vehicle, plays sports, keeps pets).....but there is always a nasty undercurrent of class politics driving these suggestions.
The truth is, I personally derive a fair degree of satisfaction, smoking either an e.cigarette or the odd spliff....while a glass of wine is a no-no, not least because I only have 1 functioning kidney but mainly because alcohol makes me feel a bit 'poisoned'. Whilst the idea of moderation is something of a cliche, I am inclined to think that it has more viable use than the quite demoralising ideas of 'cold turkey' and 'never again'. I think that there is a world of difference between the infrequent social cig, or drink, or toke.......and the harmful excess of bingeing, We all deal with things in our own way and frankly, for those who resort to a little substance using (and abusing), we are generally peacefully self-medicating, doing no harm to anyone. For the record, I have never smoked during pregnancy, nor do I when my children and grandchild are in the vicinity. I will accept the idea of passive smoking, and make every effort to desist....but for those with over-sensitive noses and unforgiving attitudes, well, as Jodi says, guess who won't be coming to tea at my house.

o

"...guess who won't be coming to tea at my house."

Ah, please.....

I'll sit outside, upwind, and not say a word.

Promise.

Hay

o

I'm with you, Campanula... on everything you said. In my humble opinion... I think it's that elitist, sanctimonious, 'class politics' attitude that is stinking up the place! The rest of us don't seem to have issues with the habits of others.

Maybe it's because most of us live within our own lives, and don't feel the need to 'hold court' over everyone else... I don't know.

I've never really cared what the neighbors think, and I don't peek through the proverbial fence just to find out what they're doing, or if they have something I don't. I just don't care. I live my life, and I expect they live theirs.

I'm not a drinker, either... though, as I have mentioned before, I will have a few to commemorate a special occasion... a wedding, perhaps... or maybe a summer camping outing... but other than that, I really don't like the taste of most alcohols... and the older I get, the longer the recovery time depending on what type of alcohol it was. It does make me feel kind of "poisoned"... rather like fast foods and other nasty processed consumables.

I'm much more in favor of those things that are natural, and it's no secret that I am for the legalization of marijuana... both types... for whatever purpose. Whether it's for the medicinal value, recreation, as a crop grown for food items or other materials... it should be legal.

I will never understand a society that maintains legality of bonded alcohols and chemically enhanced tobacco products that are KNOWN to cause illness and death, yet will barely consider a plant that has so many uses as to be darn near a miracle of nature, with no deaths associated as far as I am aware. But then, humanity has "evolved" in such a manner as to make it all not very surprising.

Having finished my chores for a Sunday, I do believe I am off to nap. There's not much I can get done in the rain, anyway.

Trust me, Hay, when I say that I hardly think you'd fit in with the group we hang out with... your ears would be burning within seconds, and your eyes probably not much later. ;-)

o

Well it's true, there are rarely more sanctimonious types than the reformed addict. I think that there is a world of difference between the infrequent social cig, or drink, or toke.......and the harmful excess of bingeing.

We all deal with things in our own way and frankly, for those who resort to a little substance using (and abusing), we are generally peacefully self-medicating, doing no harm to anyone.

Those who have been able to prevail over nicotine want to relate their stories to help those who remain addicted. They understand how powerful the addiction is and how difficult it is to quit. They believe that smokers can benefit from their past struggles and can offer some suggestions that might be useful.

Former nicotine users also know that nicotine is not just an occasional habit, it is an addiction. Nicotine is not something that a user might want to partake in today, it is something that they need to use today.
You are either addicted or you aren't.

So don't get angry with non-smokers and former smokers who understand the addictive properties of nicotine and want to do something to help. Instead, focus on the tobacco companies who deny that nicotine products are addictive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tobacco Companies Ordered to adnit Lies

o

Yes, quitting smoking has very difficult--you're right about that, heri, but I think the point that several posters above are trying to make is that some of us (that inlcudes people who have successfully quit) are offended by the outrage and self-righteousness and the preachy, judgmental attitude of some ex-smokers. Trying to "shame" smokers into quitting has got to be one of the least effective ways to help someone quit--"ugh, you stink" has never been a good motivator. Just makes people dislike you.

And I don't place all the blame on the tobacco companies. I was told back in the 1960s that smoking was bad for your health--and I chose to ignore that information until a couple years ago. The tobacco companies didn't make me smoke all those years. That was my choice. And yes, it was tough quitting 3 years ago, but I did (using Chantix) and now I have high blood pressure from all the weight I gained after I quit smoking. So the smoking gets you eventually and quitting smoking gets you (high blood pressure and increased chance of a stroke--a problem that runs in my family).

Oh well,I'll just keep plugging along, doing my best. But I'm not going to waste my time telling people how much I dispise them because they smoke and stink, in my opinion. I'll leave that low-life behavior (sneering at smokers) to others, thank you.

Kate

o

I think a pack ran around 5 when I quit but I could still buy a carton of the super cheaply made brands ( the kind that sometimes actually flared up when you lit one) for under 15 - I always bought by the carton and stored then in a zip lock bag in my freezer.. I swore that the day I had to pay 15 or over for those foul, cheap brands would be when I quit, and I did. I picked the morning I was going in for a hernia repair, being released later that afternoon. I knew that getting out to the garage every time I wanted a cigarette would be nearly impossible, if not actually impossible for the first couple of days, so that morning I had my last one before I signed in at the day surgery section of the hospital.
I was right, I could hardly hobble from the bed to the bathroom the first two days! I did pick a good time to quit, if there exists such a time as a good day to begin the agony of smoking withdrawal ;)

Jodi, I do believe you when you say you don't care what others think - on the recent tat thread when you remarked what your reaction would be if a stranger attempted to humiliate you publicly regarding your tats and piercings: I believed you and so admired you for how you would handle such nosy, cruel rudeness.

I know I would never have that kind of nerve- I would be utterly humilated, embarrassed ( probably giving the obnoxious stranger just the reaction they were after) and probably make it worse by by tearing up, putting my intended purchase down and silently leaving the store. I've never been the type such as yourself, filled with such confidence. I so admire that quality, and its wonderful that you have it and will use it to defend yourself. Good for you!

o

I think the point that several posters above are trying to make is that some of us (that includes people who have successfully quit) are offended by the outrage and self-righteousness and the preachy, judgmental attitude of some ex-smokers.

Please don't count me among the self-righteous.
It seems to me that the preachy judgmental types are mainly those who have never been addicted and therefore have no idea how difficult it is to quit. Many of them have zero tolerance for cigarette smoke or for people who smell like smoke.

As far as tobacco companies I blame them for selling an addictive product that is a health hazard. In my mind they are corporate drug pushers. They profit from keeping people addicted to their product.

o

The middle finger was meant to handle some situations...

o

Mylab, I think one of the best things my parents gave me was a strong sense of self... and my husband has only reinforced that. I've never had an issue standing up for myself, or for others should they need it. I thank you for such nice compliments! :-)

I would never blame my habit on the tobacco industry... though I will say this... if nothing else, they have played a role in glamorizing their products, in making unnecessary and harmful chemical additions, and in lobbying hard to stay on the shelves. They worked hard to keep generations lighting up. I picked up the habit, so that's my fault... though they are not entirely blameless for the millions of smokers that struggle with this addiction.

Tobr, why pull out a cliche hand gesture when one can either wear what they think on a great t-shirt, or come up with a great line through quick thinking?! The key is to never be at a loss for words that fit the situation! ;-)

I've made a few people sputter, at a complete loss for words... or redden in various cheek shades, mouths agape... in my day! And yes, I'm quite proud of such ability. If one doesn't wish to be addressed such, one should be mindful of their own business.

There's nothing worse than the disapproval of some nosy so-and-so that doesn't even know you! If someone is okay with hauling out that kind of nerve and berating a stranger, I have no issue giving it right back in my own unique style!

I would agree with Kate... it is offensive to be hit by "the outrage and self-righteousness and the preachy, judgmental attitude of some ex-smokers. Trying to "shame" smokers into quitting has got to be one of the least effective ways to help someone quit..."

Absolutely. People generally quit in their own time, in their own way. Looking down the plane of a nose, or from the back of some high horse certainly isn't going to get the job done.

o

Well, you could use two middle fingers for emphasis...

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 8:34

Although I would never use it to 'shame' someone into quitting - smoking DOES stink. It's probably one of the first things ex-smokers notice upon quitting. I was horrified to realize that I used to smell like that too....

o

A lot of perfumes, colognes, and "air fresheners" stink, too... but I don't go around telling others their chosen odor is offensive... or ask them why they feel the need to bathe in it.

It's one of those "individual" things we always talk about. Some of us don't find the smell of smoke offensive... and some do.

o

"But I'm not going to waste my time telling people how much I dispise them because they smoke and stink, in my opinion. I'll leave that low-life behavior (sneering at smokers) to others, thank you.'

Dispise? Some of my most favorite people smoke and stink.

Moving right along, here.

Not only do you stink, but,

You're more likely to be:

Neurotic, Disagreeable, less Conscientious, Impulsive, Thrill Seeking, lack Self Discipline, lacking in understanding Consequences....

"Analyses at the facet level indicate that with the exception of Self-Consciousness, all facets of Neuroticism showed significant differences among smoking status groups. Current-smokers scored higher than the other groups on all facets of Neuroticism, with the largest differences in Impulsiveness. Among the facets of Extraversion, there were significant differences only on Excitement Seeking, with current-smokers scoring higher then never-smokers. There were significant differences on Openness to Values, with current-smokers scoring the highest. There were also significant differences on Straightforwardness, Altruism, and Compliance, with current-smokers scoring lower than never-smokers. There were significant differences among groups on all facets of Conscientiousness, with smokers scoring clearly lower than non-smokers. The η2 values are between small and medium effect size (Cohen 1988), which are consistent with previous studies."

Before you look at the Table for all your other characteristics, maybe now would be a good time to light up.

I don't dispise you. Tonight I'll be dancing with one of my most favorite women. I wish she wouldn't smoke.

Hay

o

"A lot of perfumes, colognes, and "air fresheners" stink, too... but I don't go around telling others their chosen odor is offensive... or ask them why they feel the need to bathe in it.
It's one of those "individual" things we always talk about. Some of us don't find the smell of smoke offensive... and some do."

You like the stench, no problem.

Unfortunately, you want to get in front of me at the check out counter with your stench.

I go to the library here when I need to upload or download large files. Seems like this smoking couple always wants to walk in right behind me and sit down in the other two seats right next to mine. YUCK CITY!

"Individual' things. Yeah, right.

I''ll be happy to talk to you about your stinky "perfume" when we finish this conversation.

Hay

o

I like nothing stinky...cigarette smoke, men's aftershave, women's overdone perfume. I like my air to smell like clean air. My nose is very sensitive. Some people like my husband are not sensitive to smells. When I take a library book out, I'll know for sure the last person to read that book was a smoker. Same if someone stands near me in line or even walks by me, I smell smoke on their clothes..as well as overdone perfume/aftershave. .

o

Funny thing about smells. Once the smell cells become saturated with a smell, they can no longer smell it--so I don't have a lot of sympathy for those who say they hate cigarette smell. After the initial whiffs, your nose can't register most of that smell.

It is somewhat like my grandfather's barn when I was a kid. Being from the city, us kids would exclaim in disgust at the smell when we entered the barn. Grandpa would just calmly say, wait a couple minutes--you'll get used to it and hardly notice it any more. You know what? Grandpa was right.

Kate

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 17:11

All I know is that there are some folks that are in danger of a nosebleed .... standing up so high on that pedestal must make them feel like "queen of the mountain".

.....whenever I come across one of these sanctimonious threads (and they are coming more frequently and not just from the right, before you break your arms clapping yourselves on the back) this rhyme himself used to sing (cant remember all the words) from his childhood comes to mind.

"and they all went to heaven but the sanctified folks"

o

There are signs at doctor's offices, radiology centers and oncology centers asking visitors to refrain from wearing perfumes because these smells can really affect the cancer patients in a bad way. So complaining about "smells" may not be an affectation as some of you are implying. These smells may cause a sick person to go home and throw up. I'm definitely not judging but it's just something to think about.

o

Ah well, if ever the water shortages get so severe we have to make hard choices, I would definitely be one of the filthy ones, preferring to water the plants to having a bath - and yes, of course I could use grey (in my case, very grey) water....but there are many stairs in my house and the bathroom is at the top, wrong side for the garden........
Years ago, I broke my (too expensive) spectacles for the last time.....wandered about in a vague fog ever since...and as my sense of smell has probably deserted me (smoking!), it's easy to live in a cloudy universe of bleary shapes and colours - the garden looks great to my (blind) eyes also.

o

I would agree with Kate... it is offensive to be hit by "the outrage and self-righteousness and the preachy, judgmental attitude of some ex-smokers. Trying to "shame" smokers into quitting has got to be one of the least effective ways to help someone quit..."

Aside from some comments that could be taken as internet bullying I think there is some false outrage there.
Those who love you want you to live the longest llife possible and to have the best quality of life. They may become frustrated if they sense you are not even trying to quit but instead coming up with endless justifications and excuses, and now using these silly nicotine substitutes that don't work.
So what do you want your love ones to say to get you to stop because you know they must say something? How many times do they have to suggest, request, ask and even plead for you to quit?
I too want you to quit and I am asking you in every which way that doesn't offend you. Please Jesus, quit.

o

"After the initial whiffs, your nose can't register most of that smell."

And, you can get used to hanging if you hang long enough.

I should wash my hands more when I go out dancing, but I usually will stay until I'm about to drop and barely crawl out to the car. Careful not to touch my face with my hands....

Like last night. I was thinking about your getting "used" to the smell. I was there for three hours getting used to the smell of all those women's perfume. After three hours, driving home, my hands still stank with all those women's perfume. YUCK!

I can remember, in the old days, I'd go out to the clubs when smoking was allowed inside, come home and drop my clothes in the bathroom before I crashed into bed. Walk into the bathroom the next morning and immediately get hit with the stench of the stale smoke. YUCK!

The odors will actually get into my nose and not go away. For the entire evening! One woman likes to wear perfume and wants to give me a little hug as a greeting. She'll touch my shirt and, for the rest of the evening, my shirt stinks of perfume. YUCK!

I guess I'm a little more of a ranter on this because I dance and get very close to a lot of people when I'm out. I do it a lot and so I'm particularly aware of it. When you see lists of tips to new dancers, when you see lists of the things that turn off dance partners, smells are at the very top of the list.

Hay

o

The solution is to stay away from women.

o

Hericles, study the AA literature for spouses and significant others of alcoholics (Alanon and Alateen, for instance). The one bit of advice they repeat over and over again is QUIT TRYING TO CONTROL SOMEONE ELSE'S BEHAVIOR. IT DOES NOT WORK.

And I would add, it makes your "loved ones" resentful. It absolutely does not make the addicted one change their behavior, so stop it.

People stop when they decide--on their own--to stop. There is nothing you can do about it, so quit driving yourself up the wall in frustration--which accomplishes nothing except that everybody feels bad.

I repeat, nagging, harassing, repeating, conjoling, asking pretty please, arguing if you loved me . . .--none of those work--SO STOP IT.

That is not how people stop their addictive behaviors.

I stopped smoking when I bit the bullet--and got the doctor to prescribe Chantix to aid me. I honestly don't know if I could have stopped without the Chantix.

E-cigarettes--I have no opinion, except that if they eliminate the other harmful chemicals in cigarettes, that is probably an improvement, but other than that, I do not see how they help the overall problem.

My advice: nicely and matter-of-factly ask your loved one, "Why don't you ask the doctor about that Chantix stuff for stopping smoking that I hear advertised on TV? I hear a number of people have had success with it."

Then shut up, walk out of the room, and don't bring it up again. Let the seed sink in QUIETLY and hopefully work its will silently behind the scenes in its own time sequence.

That is the best and most loving thing you can do for a nicotine-addicted loved one.

And don't ever bring it up again unless the loved one brings it up and wants to talk about it. But they very well might not want to talk about it--even if they start using it and successfully manage to give up smoking. In which case, don't talk about it.

But if that strategy doesn't work, shut up anyway and quit trying to control your loved one's behavior. It will just drive you nuts and might drive your loved one away from you. IT DOESN'T WORK, SO DON'T DO IT.

Ok--got that out of my system. Sorry about "shouting" in CAPS. It was kindly meant, regardless. : )

Kate

o

"Smoking is not the only thing I would still be doing if it were not bad for me ...."

Me, too!

In a way, I'm looking forward to the day that the Doc tells me I only have a year or so to live.

Boy, I'm going to have fun in that last year. Cigars, food, liquor, drugs, wild women....

"The solution is to stay away from women."

Men stink, too. I play the role of the follower in some of my dance lessons. I'm always chewing gum when I dance, just to be safe, and the other night I was realizing that the strong gum smells from many of the men leaders was bothering me. I'm going to cut down on that. The worst was a man with a grape flavored gum. Reminded me of the childhood flavors.

Hay

o

Some things are simpler than they seem, Hay...

Let's say I'm in line at a store behind someone who has bathed in a rather offensive smelling cologne... it begins to bother me... my common sense says, move to another checkout line. Problem solved.

o

"Problem solved."

I'd rather rant, thank you.

Hay

o

I gave six very serious attempts to quit smoking before I was successful with the seventh. It took me six times to figure out what the wall I hit looked like so the next time I met it, it wouldn't seem so awful.
I imagine it could take a person 20 serious attempts just like a first try is the success for some, but if they are figuring out how to avoid hitting each wall next time
( maybe needing to know of its existence is enough ) then the attempt was not a failure but a tool needed for the eventual quit.

I didn't quit for anyone but for myself because I couldn't have gone through that misery in order to provide comfort for a loved one. Its sad, but for me it was true.

I don't know what it was that made the last quit successful when I wasn't the previous times - I do know that an important point for me to accept was that I would never be quit until I actually quit ( which seems so obvious but I was extremely fuzzy about that particular point) but in the end it doesn't matter because everyone has to discover their own way and their own path.

That is why I don't think it matters how many tries it takes until one is successfully quit from the addiction, if one is learning what was necessary to know for the next effort,.then it was all part of the process they needed to go through to find their own success.
Im sad when I know someone who finally gives up, but they have the right to make that choice for themselves - and maybe it isn't really a choice, maybe for some its actually not possible to beat their addiction because everybody is not built the same way. We cant know what is possible for anyone but ourselves.

The good thing to know is that I never knew anyone who was sorry they quit but did know a great deal who were sorry they didn't quit.

Today, I don't know a single person who smokes and I find that just amazing! There was a time when I hardly knew anyone who didn't smoke.

o

Actually, that may be a totally honest answer. There are some people who get their kicks by having something to rant about. They really would rather rant about the problem than to do something effective about the problem.

Kate

o

My advice: nicely and matter-of-factly ask your loved one, "Why don't you ask the doctor about that Chantix stuff for stopping smoking that I hear advertised on TV? I hear a number of people have had success with it."
Then shut up, walk out of the room, and don't bring it up again

Don't bring it up again? If you truly love someone who is addicted to a drug that will likely shorten their life you never give up. That's a cop out.
There is a difference in mocking someone for smoking (which I would never do) and letting them know that you care for them and that it makes you sick to watch them essentially kill themselves by smoking coffin nails.

As far as Chantix I would not feel comfortable suggesting that to anyone. It is one of the drugs I have heard advertised on TV that makes you bust out laughing after they read all of the possible risks associated with it.

The first problem with an addiction is admitting you have one and ending the denial, the excuses and the defense mechanisms that you have built around the habit.

As far as quitting part of that process has to involve exercise to boost one's metabolism so that one avoids weight gain and starts to repair their cardiovascular system. A recumbent bike at home or walking outdoors would be a way to start that process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chantix?

o

Boy, I'm going to have fun in that last year. Cigars, food, liquor, drugs, wild women....

Nothing stinks as bad as a cigar. The wild women will run away.

o

Well, I'm still here years after having used Chantix, so . . . . If you bothered to read the possible side-effects of most medicines you take, you would find that they are legion . . . and a bit scarey. I simply read the list for Chantix to my loved ones and said, if I start to show any of those symptoms, you should call my doctor immediately (he lives a block and a half from me) and report them--or whisk me off to the emergency ward if necessary. The only symptom I had that began to bother me was some depression--but I knew that would end when I finished the Chantix treatment, and it did. Oh yes--weird dreams also. Wasn't worried about that, just kind of amazed at the weird things my brain pictured while I was sleeping.

I'm sincere, heri. Read some of the literature on addiction written by the experts. Everything you are recommending is exactly what the experts stress you should NOT do. And by "experts," I mean people who have been there, done that, worked extensively with other addicted people and "recovering" people--and perhaps have also studied what knowledgeable books on the subject recommend.

If I had lived in a home where they kept at me regularly, I would have considered my so-called "loved ones" to be first-rate naggers and harassers and I probably would have started avoiding coming home whenever possible and maybe even moving out permanently rather than having to share my home space with people who made it such an irritating place to be.

Harassing a "loved one" is NOT loving behavior, in my book. Certainly, controlling behavior is not loving behavior--it is what it was called: "controlling" behavior. I personally would never live with a control-freak.

Just my opinion, of course.

Kate

o

As far as Chantix goes, that is how I quit smoking after 20 years.

o

Heri, something to consider is that from studies done, overweight people react to the persistent pushing to lose weight by eating as much or more, out of the emotional stress it places on the person.

It makes sense to me that smokers would react in much the same way. After a reasonable period of gentle push suggestions have been planted, perhaps its much more effective to allow the room for the person to sort it out for themselves.
I suspect that nobody can quit until they are ready within themselves to be willing to endure whatever the process of the quit will be for them. Nobody can create that point of "ready" for them, at least nobody was able to for me and others I have known. It was nearly ten years after DH quit that I was able to reach the same point, myself.

I believe that point of being ready has to come from within, it doesn't come from from without . If you have already provided the series of gentle, loving pushes, you have done your job and now maybe its your job to give the smoker the space to decide the when and even perhaps the if, for themselves. It sounds like someone you love very much still smokes? If so, Im sorry, Heri.

Try to remember that the reality is, the only control we previous smokers have is the control we are obliged to exercise over our own quit.

o

I hope I'm not one of the sanctimonious ones by saying I'm glad I never smoked in my entire life even though almost all my friends and many in my family did. I was sort of a health nut back then, and never did risky behavior, drank or took any drugs. I never nagged anyone to stop smoking, but after my husband stopped in his mid 20's, I never had an ashtray in my house. Like mylab, I know no one who smokes. That certainly wouldn't have been true growing up when all my uncles, grandfathers, father and some aunts smoked. It's been said that cigarettes are the hardest habit to quit.

As for sensitivities, when I walk the dogs, I can smell someone smoking in their backyard. Years ago we were visiting husband's relatives and the man was smoking a cigar and leaned in our car to say goodbye. For the two hour drive home I was sick and could even smell the cigar the next day.

o

So often - twice already today on two different threads, I will begin to compose a response, get up to do something that needs attending to and a lot of time will pass before I get back to finish up.
It is why it seems like I often repeat what others have already said so well, only in a different way.

o

I am addicted. I am addicted to shopping. I think everyone has some addiction. It is normal is it not?

o

Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 15:28

"Nothing stinks as bad as a cigar."

Yeah, but don't forget - after the initial whiffs, your nose won't be able to register most of that smell.

"Years ago we were visiting husband's relatives and the man was smoking a cigar and leaned in our car to say goodbye. For the two hour drive home I was sick and could even smell the cigar the next day."

You mean once your smell cells became saturated with the smell, you were still able to smell it??

o

I don't know about cigars but if someone takes a bath in perfume I am sick for hours. If my daughter gets to close to someone that has taken a perfume bath she has had to be rushed to the hospital. She has asthma and she has had some very serious reactions.

I wish people would realize that perfume is dangerous to the public. Just because they can no longer smell it the rest of the world is chocking on their smell. This goes for men and women.

Sorry OT but the perfume/cologne thing drives me crazy.

o

The hospital had a sign saying "Please don't wear scent. Our doctors really dislike it"

o

I suspect what Lily and Marquest are talking about is something closer to an actual allergy to certain smells. That kind of excessive hypersensitivity to certain smells is not the average reaction most people have--though lily, I have to identify with your reaction to the cigar smell. Decades ago when I was about 8 months pregnant, a doctor came into the place where I worked--smoking a cigar. I almost instantly lost my entire breakfast on the spot, and I can vividly remember to this day (decades later) rushing to the window and even though there was a heavy blizzard with strong winds going on outside (this was S. Dakota), hanging my head out that window for about 15 minutes. The thought of that cigar makes my stomach slightly queasy even today. Always wondered where in the world he got that foul-smelling cigar. Obviously I remember not so much the smell, however, as I do the near nausea.

Amazing how things have changed over the years. Can't imagine a doctor now puffing the foul cigar-smoke into the face of an 8-month pregnant woman today, can you? Nobody thought much about it back then.

Kate

o

Students used to smoke in college classes back then. And there's the always amusing ad - "more doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarette".

o

I never suggested nagging but think allowing someone to kill themselves without trying to stop it places some culpability on those who remain accepting and passive.

Mylab: I have already lived through deaths of loved ones from cancer. I wish I had done more, not less. I sense some overly defensive/hyper-sensitive denial here. I suspect some who claim to have quit or claim to now only smoke the e ciggs may be fibbing a bit.

Finally, if you have loved ones that repeatedly ask you to try to quit and you don't try your best to do that, I think you have to start considering whether or not a personal habit which is normally no ones business, has rightfully become your families business as you age and the health risks mount. After all, they will have to live without you after you are gone. They will miss you terribly. They will have to take care of you, get your oxygen tank, or God forbid,wait in the hospital room while the surgeons "rip out your lungs Jim" * or cut out malignant vocal chords.

So forget the studies you read about that might suggest ignoring a family member or loved one's addiction. If it is your life that will be impacted and/or that of a loved one, you have to live with or indeed die as a result of your decision about what to do or not do. And good luck with denial against a powerfully addictive drug or with silly defense mechanisms or even anger aimed at family and friends who beg you to at least try to quit.

If you are still smoking past 50 or 60 at what point does the smoking become self centered and even selfish? This isn't like taking a puff when you are under forty, those old days when you can piss against the winds of risk and win without a care in the world.

Franly, I am astounded at how some people continue to smoke in their later years. This isn't the the old days where Johnny Carson lit up on set, where all of the Hollywood types smoked and endorsed smoking. Perhaps older smokers need a good dose of reality now that the times have changed.

* A quote from the late Warren Zevon

Here is a link that might be useful: Chantix-cide.

This post was edited by heri_cles on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 18:32

o

How appropriate to quote Warren Z. I agree with heri. When I smoked, my daughter was relentless at hounding me to stop. I finally just did so that she would stop the assault. I think it's very effective to have a family member demonstrate how much they hate it that you smoke. It makes you feel like you are betraying your loved ones if you continue the bad habit. Also, think about it...if you had a child strung out on heroin, wouldn't you do everything within your power to make him or her stop, including interventions? I have read that nicotine is just as addictive as heroin.

o

That kind of excessive hypersensitivity to certain smells is not the average reaction most people have--

I wonder Kate if it is not more people than we realize. Since there are signs posted in hospitals and doctor offices. The Allergy doctors we have seen do tell you when you make an appointment to please not wear fragrance.

I remember one man that worked in our office they finally called him into HR to talk to him. I did not complain but so many others did, although it did not make them sick it was too distracting to work in the office with that much fragrance. He would be off from work and you could still smell him.

o

From studies I have read, smoking is often MORE difficult to quit than heroin, though the process of withdrawal is quite different, physically speaking.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

And so goes addiction... of any kind. That person must be willing, and committed, to changing their lives, and habits... no one can make them. Only the addict can change. This is one of the explanations why so many addicts revert back to the same or substitute addictions.

My ex was an alcoholic. I tried very hard to lead him to a place where he would want to stop drinking. But I wasn't him. I couldn't make him stop. Only he could do that for himself. Only he could admit he had a problem, needed help, and make that commitment to stop. In the end, I simply gave him a choice. He chose the bottle. I chose to save myself.

I am quitting smoking for myself. Not for anyone else. And I'm doing it my own way, not according to anyone else. If someone were constantly on my back about quitting, it would stress me out, and I'd probably smoke more.

o

jodi, my ex was an alcoholic also, so I know from actual experience what you mean. All you can do is give the addict a choice. "He chose the bottle. I chose to save myself." That says it all--and tells me you really do know what you are talking about.

heri, I assure you--I'm telling the truth. I quit smoking several years ago, and I could not have done it without the Chantix. How do I know? Because I tried several methods, including cold turkey, before that. Chantix was the only thing that worked. I took it under the supervision of my doctor who emphasized that if I had any of those symptoms, to quit taking it immediately and see him immediately. He also had me come in for a couple of appointments during the 6 months I took Chantix. Reputable doctors do not prescribe Chantix recklessly or indifferently. And like I said, the only symptoms I had were weird dreams (I can't tell you how weird--great entertainment the next morning thinking back about them!) and some depression--but everybody I've ever talked to who gave up smoking had some depression to contend with, regardless of the method of quitting they used.

Well, I'm done with this topic now. Have no further points to make, and I'm not interested in just repeating myself again and again. : )

Kate

o

The smoking lamp is off...

o

Kate, I'm so sorry you had to experience similar issues... it was difficult, to say the least. I left it all in the past. I'm glad you did, as well. :-)

Chantix also worked wonders for my husband. Within a week, I'd say, he was down to about 7 cigarettes a day... and that after a lengthy time smoking 3 to 4 packs per day. I call that darn near a miracle if there ever were one!

He didn't experience any depression, and didn't mention any odd dreams... but the same side effects do not happen to everyone.

Speaking of side effects... this is one of the main reasons I look to natural methods before going most pharmaceutical routes. The lists and varieties of side effects for many medications are simply appalling! They have the potential to create more issues than they solve!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here