Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weiner may run for mayor of NYC!

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 5:17

Would you vote for this slug if you could? It seems that men's sexual behavior may no longer matter when it comes to public office. Do you think the same standard would apply to women?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weiner may run for mayor of NYC!

He is an extraordinarily talented and bright guy ... and he was a good Congressman, but it would probably depend on who he was running against.

I'm not judging the man's sexual kinks, or even his infidelities, but with him, it was the actual nature of the scandal that made me seriously question his judgment overall.

You're always going to be vunerable in an illicit sexual relationship to the possibility of your partner being indiscreet (see Lewinsky, Monica). But taking photos? And posting them on a social media? It's begging to be caught.

The riskiness of it is a little bit of an indicator to me of something I wouldn't quite trust in an elected of mine. Jmho.

o

• Posted by rosie NE Georgia 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 7:02

Or as the NY Post put it in large headlines, "Weiner's Second Coming!" The Washington Post has an article about how the NY tabloids may be his biggest problem. IMO, under the circumstances #2 is his name.

o

But look at Mark Sanford. People admire a good "redemption".

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 9:25

Maybe we should expect to see Weiner switch to waving a Bible.

From what I read at the time, he was not a particularly good congressman at best. He was famous among his colleagues (long before the rest of us), for showing himself off for the cameras and claiming credit for the accomplishments of others.

o

Yes quite a few people I know said they would vote for him he was good city council member & would be 100% better than Quinn!

o

There are some congress critters never do anyhting
Wiener sponsored. It's good to actually know something about Representative before representing it.
He was a foceful advocate in NYC for our community gardens

H.R. 1896 (112th): COPS Improvements Act of 2011
H.R. 1839 (112th): Community Pharmacy Fairness Act of 2011
H.R. 1680 (112th): Transportation Flexible Savings Accounts Act of 2011
H.R. 1662 (112th): Bank Accessibility Act
H.R. 1468 (112th): Honest Services Restoration Act
H.R. 1119 (112th): National Nurse Act of 2011
H.R. 1118 (112th): Social Security Protection Act of 2011

H.R. 792 (112th): Residential and Commuter Toll Fairness Act of 2011
Sponsor: Rep. Anthony Weiner [D-NY9, 1999-2011]
Introduced: Feb 17, 2011
Referred to Committee: Feb 17, 2011
H.Con.Res. 12 (112th): Expressing the sense of Congress that an appropriate site on Chaplains Hill in Arlington National Cemetery should be provided for a memorial marker to honor the memory of the Jewish chaplains who died while on active duty in the Arm
Introduced: Jan 25, 2011
Referred to Committee: Jan 25, 2011
H.R. 438 (112th): Energy Star Improvements Act of 2011
Introduced: Jan 25, 2011
Referred to Committee: Jan 25, 2011
H.R. 6539 (111th): Reducing American Hunger Act
Introduced: Dec 16, 2010
Referred to Committee: Dec 16, 2010
H.J.Res. 104 (111th): Disapproving the issuance of a letter of offer with respect to a certain proposed sale of defense articles and defense services to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Introduced: Dec 15, 2010
Referred to Committee: Dec 15, 2010
H.J.Res. 99 (111th): Disapproving the issuance of a letter of offer with respect to a certain proposed sale of defense articles and defense services to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Introduced: Nov 18, 2010
Referred to Committee: Nov 18, 2010
H.Con.Res. 331 (111th): Expressing the sense of Congress that an appropriate site on Chaplains Hill in Arlington National Cemetery should be provided for a memorial marker to honor the memory of the Jewish chaplains who died while on active duty in the Ar
Introduced: Nov 16, 2010
Referred to Committee: Nov 16, 2010
H.R. 6413 (111th): To ensure that individuals who receive Social Security or certain other Federal benefits receive a one-time payment equal to 5 percent of the total annual amount of such benefit in the event that no cost-of-living adjustment is payable
Introduced: Nov 16, 2010
Referred to Committee: Nov 16, 2010
H.R. 6390 (111th): Transparent Baseball Ticket Fees Act
Introduced: Sep 29, 2010
Referred to Committee: Sep 29, 2010
H.R. 6391 (111th): Honest Services Restoration Act
Introduced: Sep 29, 2010
Referred to Committee: Sep 29, 2010
H.R. 6149 (111th): Coin and Precious Metal Disclosure Act
Introduced: Sep 16, 2010
Referred to Committee: Sep 16, 2010
H.R. 6106 (111th): To direct the Secretary of Education to establish a clearinghouse of information on best practices for ocean lifeguard training programs.
Introduced: Aug 10, 2010
Referred to Committee: Aug 10, 2010
H.R. 6076 (111th): Father Mychal Judge, O.F.M., Congressional Gold Medal Act
Introduced: Jul 30, 2010
Referred to Committee: Jul 30, 2010
H.R. 5640 (111th): National Rape Kit Database Act
Introduced: Jun 29, 2010
Referred to Committee: Jun 29, 2010
H.Res. 1440 (111th): Recognizing and supporting Israel’s right to defend itself.
Introduced: Jun 14, 2010
Referred to Committee: Jun 14, 2010
H.R. 5234 (111th): PBM Audit Reform and Transparency Act of 2010
Introduced: May 06, 2010
Referred to Committee: May 06, 2010
H.R. 4501 (111th): Guarantee of a Legitimate Deal Act of 2010
Introduced: Jan 21, 2010
Passed House: Dec 08, 2010
H.R. 4456 (111th): BPA-Free Kids Act of 2009
Introduced: Jan 13, 2010
Referred to Committee: Jan 13, 2010
H.R. 4458 (111th): I-WERC Act
H.R. 4457 (111th): To provide for the payment to the City of New York and Washington, D.C. of amounts attributable to the unpaid fully adjudicated parking fines and penalties issued to foreign governments, and for other purposes.
H.R. 4406 (111th): To render nationals of Israel eligible to enter the United States as nonimmigrant traders and investors.
Introduced: Dec 16, 2009
Referred to Committee: Dec 16, 2009
H.R. 3528 (111th): GPS Protection & Safety Act of 2009
Introduced: Jul 31, 2009
Referred to Committee: Jul 31, 2009
H.R. 3527 (111th): FHA Multifamily Loan Limit Adjustment Act of 2009
Introduced: Jul 31, 2009
Passed House: Sep 15, 2009
H.R. 2783 (111th): Elimination of the Single Parent Tax Act of 2009
Introduced: Jun 09, 2009
Referred to Committee: Jun 09, 2009
H.R. 2449 (111th): Wireless Prepaid Access Device Enforcement Act of 2009
Introduced: May 14, 2009
Referred to Committee: May 14, 2009
H.R. 2157 (111th): DNA Expansion and Improvement Act of 2009
Introduced: Apr 28, 2009
Referred to Committee: Apr 28, 2009
H.R. 1676 (111th): PACT Act
Introduced: Mar 23, 2009
Passed House: May 21, 2009
H.R. 1370 (111th): Commercial Seafood Consumer Protection Act
Introduced: Mar 05, 2009
Referred to Committee: Mar 05, 2009
H.R. 1371 (111th): COLA Fairness Act of 2009
H.R. 1364 (111th): H.I.V. Education and Prevention Act of 2009
H.R. 1365 (111th): To amend the Truth in Lending Act to require a store in which a consumer may apply to open a credit or charge card account to display a sign, at each location where the application may be made, containing the same information required b
H.R. 1363 (111th): GothamCorps Authorization Act of 2009
H.R. 1369 (111th): To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to expand and improve the dependent care tax credit.
H.R. 1366 (111th): Innocent Check Depositor Protection Act

The list is much longer

o

Even a pedophile with that record can win in NYC.

o

I don't know enough about Weiner except for the scandal. If his qualifications are good, better than those who are running against him, then I'd vote for him. His wife forgave him and it wasn't an egregious affair that broke up families. It was a lapse of judgement for which he is contrite.

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 12:44

Obviously my memory failed me. He was very active, even if not well liked among his colleagues.

Our district is one of the most conservative in the nation. I have to admit, given a choice between a "douchy" liberal and my own congressman, who speaks exclusively in ALEC-approved phrases, I'd spot the former a good dozen sex scandals and bizarre self exposes in advance. It's not a compliment to him, though.

o

It's a shame Leno lost his job.

Weiner could have kept him in jokes for years.

o

No but it looks like he can keep this forum entertained for ages you cant imagine how much I dislike so many you I shall have to endeavor to be more clear about it. Brush Demi

o

I am grateful I don't live where he would appear on the ballot. I might have to vote for a poor candidate or not vote at all if he ran. That takes away my choice.

Hubris, arrogance, bizarre multiple unjustified and unwanted sexual advances, exhibitionism, betrayal of spouse and supporters... any or all leave a sensation of sleaze that mars any accomplishments. Combine that with an ignorance or dismissal of any thought that the tech he so loves could trip him up and it makes you wonder what else he got away with.

And it is entirely possible that he could be elected again.

o

Well, Mark Sanford is having another go at elective office why not that arrogant, lying, morals challenged pervert Weiner?

o

I don't know enough about Weiner except for the scandal.

Lily, you aren't alone, neither do most other non-NY'ers and why should they? They don't live here and they don't have to vote for him.

Why this is of importance to anyone who doesn't live here is beyond me and why they would be asked if they would vote for him doesn't make sense except to try to stir the pot. Most people only know about him because of the scandal, and know nothing else,including the op.

Even a pedophile with that record can win in NYC.

Asinine statement.

It's a shame Leno lost his job.
Weiner could have kept him in jokes for years.

Even Weiner's bad behavior takes a back seat to your sorry lot. Lousiana takes political scandals to a new level. You are legendary.

Perhaps we should continue to laugh at about Vitter or Jerry Thomas? We can laugh at the unanimous impeachment of Federal Judge Porteous for corruption and perjury. Between 2003 and 2006 there were over 200+ indictments of your pols and city officials including the convictions of your former gov who kept a cell warm for extortion, racketeering and fraud; your former congressman that stashed $90k in in his kitchen freezer; the mayor who used $ from donations to a Toys for Tots fund; the city council prez who served time for taking bribes and kickbacks; the former state senator who pleaded guilty for money laundering,... the list goes on and on. Leno has plenty of old and new fodder from your state, once ranked 3rd in the country as most corrupt but most people including Leno have moved on. You should too.

People like yourself who live in shattered glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Weiner is a azz as we had all stated 2 years ago but he's nothing compared to your sorry lot. You seem to breed them where you live.

o

I care much more about public policy than I do about private behaviour. This guy made his private life very public and lied...having said that his actions were not so egregious as to force me to vote for a candidate who supported policies I was totally opposed to ........

You vote for who best represents your interests recognizing that we all have flaws.....well at least I do.

o

Well said , Epi. We all know about the diaper wearing Louisiana Senator Vitter, don't we?..And nevermind the GOP Gov Sanford who just left his office and disappeared for days hiking the Appalachian Trail. Oh wait, he was screwing his mistress in Argentina, and wrecked the lives of Jenny Sanford and their children and brought public humiliation to the family.

..Oh, wait again...he just won the Congressional nomination in his latest race. HYPOCRITES!!!!!!!!

o

I am grateful I don't live where he would appear on the ballot.

No, but you live where others who behave badly do. Do the names Mark Stouder or Philip Hinckle ring a bell? Bad behavior by pols is in your neck of the woods too. They are everywhere.

A married Republican state lawmaker in Indiana ��" and a public maligner of gay marriage ��" is in hot water after reportedly seeking to pay a young man for a sexual tryst and then exposing himself during their hotel rendezvous.
A married Republican state lawmaker in Indiana ��" and a public maligner of gay marriage ��" is in hot water after reportedly seeking to pay a young man for a sexual tryst and then exposing himself during their hotel rendezvous.

State Rep. Phillip Hinkle arranged to pay Kameryn Gibson up to $140 for a "really good time" at a posh Indianapolis hotel, according to email exchanges published in a bombshell report by the Indianapolis Star.

The 64-year-old lawmaker responded to an ad Gibson posted Aug. 6 on Craigslist in the "m4m" (men for men) section. Gibson wrote "I need a sugga daddy" and said he was 18 years old, although he later told the Star that he's actually 20.

At one point in the email exchange, Hinkle ��" who voted for a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage -- described himself as an "in shape married professional, 5'8'', fit 170 pounds, and love getting and staying naked."

--------------------

Mark Souder's extramarital affair is nothing short of shocking and hypercritical. The representative has built a career characterized by family values, conservatism, and morality. According to On The Issues, The Rep. of Indiana's 3rd congressional district has taken staunch conservative stances on issues like abortion and online gambling. During his term he has clearly stated his opposition on both controversial issues.

Ironically, he was one of Politician Larry Craig's harshest critics during his gay sex scandal /debacle. He immediately called for resignation. Now, it appears that Mark Souder has a lot more in common with Larry Craig then it initially appeared. He has also opposed other Republican politicians who have faced scandal. The hypocritical Souder distances himself from scandal for his own political advantage. He claims to be a moral, religious politician who holds others accountable for their actions; however he fails tremendously with his own actions.

Again, sadly Pol's behaving badly are everywhere and on BOTH sides of the aisle.

o

Would you vote for this slug if you could?

It doesn't matter how I would or would not vote; his contest involves the residents of NYC.

Before Jerry Brown announced his gubernatorial candidacy for the 2010 election, California had the titillating prospect of the battle of the philandering mayors for the Democratic nomination; Gavin Newsom of San Francisco, and Antonio Villaraigosa of Los Angeles. Not that I would ever be so shallow as to judge a candidate this way, but both mayors are easy on the eyes, and we would have had the entertaining spectacle of every cliche re San Francisco and Los Angeles thrown about (and the NYT making fun of us).

Perhaps another time. < /sigh >

o

A Drunk goes in a rehab get help gets elected or keeps office not a biggy hey some of the don't even go & get help & they are considered great conservatives . Someone with a sex problem does gets help & the truly cruel & moronic come out of the wood work. It's the state of s sexually shame based culture!

I doubt they will like the married Lesbian any better! I certainly don't

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 15:30

o

It doesn't matter how I would or would not vote; his contest involves the residents of NYC.

Which is why this thread is ridiculous. Few on here live in NYC and those that don't know little or nothing about Weiner except for the scandal which is what the op wanted to discuss, more so than Weiner's credentials or abilities.

o

People like yourself who live in shattered glass houses shouldn't throw stones. Weiner is a azz as we had all stated 2 years ago but he's nothing compared to your sorry lot. You seem to breed them where you live.

I don't have anymore to do with Vitter than I do with Weiner.

The fact that I live within a geographical area outlined on a map has nothing to do with Vitter or Weiner.

Where you have you seen me say anything other than disparaging things about Louisiana politics, Chicago politics, or New York politics? Or politics for that matter, anywhere?

I'm throwing stones at lying, arrogant, perverted Weiner, and he deserves it.

Throw all you want at Vitter or anyone else--matters not to me.

At least Vitter didn't drown anyone.

o

So we're so desperate we have to time travel back to 1969???? How perverted is Vitter, the diaper wearer?. He's from your neck of the woods, Demi, and as I recall you defended him to some degree eons ago.

o

I don't think I defended him.

I said I voted for him.

It was better than the alternative.

I held my nose and did it.

I'll do it again before I'll vote for someone that does not vote like I want them to.

Louisiana isn't the topic.
Vitter isn't the topic.
Demi isn't the topic.

Perverted, arrogant, lying Weiner is.

o

Perverted, arrogant, lying Weiner is.

Ah yes, Demi sees the cup as half empty and conveniently ignores the the political record/accomplishments of the man that was posted by one of his constituents.

Interesting though, Demi likes to go way back in history when she needs to slam someone, yet conveniently ignores all the years after the fact.
She even brings up the history of the dead.

The story is really "the sum of all it's parts", which apparently is something that demi and the rest of the conservatives love to ignore, as if it didn't exist.

o

Posted by lily316 z5PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:07

So we're so desperate we have to time travel back to 1969???? How perverted is Vitter, the diaper wearer?. He's from your neck of the woods, Demi, and as I recall you defended him to some degree eons ago.

As far as I know Vitter didn't send many multiple photos of his private parts to different people he'd never met, then lied about it.

Is there any proof that Vitter wore diapers with prostitutes?
I thought liberals were all for anything in the bedroom if it was between "consenting adults?" Seems to me it was consensual, if it happened. If you believe the commercials and sales information, grown people wear diapers everyday.

We do, however on the other hand have photos that Anthony Weiner sent of his private parts to women, unsolicited.

No way can you equate the two.

It wasn't even a good try.

o

Yea, like liberals bringing up Ronald Reagan and trashing Margaret Thatcher?

How hypocritical!

o

And just like you did Demi,

....peope will vote for the "pervert" before they will vote for someone who votes like they don't want them to vote......

Personal values mean nothing anymore......it's all about the politics. Which is precisely why you have such a "house" full of morally corrupt politicians.

You get more of what you subsidize....

o

Did I say I supported Souder? At least the man had the decency to stick to a single long lasting affair with a consenting adult and didn't parade it around in public view as if he were some sort of demi-god. He is not now running for any office or planning to do so after humiliating himself and his family. He pretty much minds his own business. At the request of the local news paper( very left leaning) he did comment on some confusing pending local legislation on two occasions last year to explain the different options. He did not seem to lean one way or the other. Not even the very vocal left here has made any complaints.

Would I vote for him if he got involved in politics again? I don't know. It would depend on the other candidates, but I doubt it will ever happen.

In any case I am still of the opinion that Weiner is still an arrogant sleaze and I'm glad I don't have to consider him.

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 17:43

Whatever. Given the typical limited availability of "good" candidates, what someone does privately is of also little concern to me compared to policy positions and ability.

What's interesting about this thread is that some who know him find him well worth defending. Like him. Do you want for him for mayor?

o

Yes I started off the my partner & I will vote for him rather than the council member from our district. In fact I know a lot of people will not vote for the council member from our district we find her Bloomberg light and antithetical to the desires of her own district.
No I will not vote for NY's first Lesbian Mayor none of the garden members form our community garden will either. Most of the NYU staff who are against the expansion of NYU's campus & who live in this district will not vote for her either. It will be DeBlasio or Wiener & we already had Wiener before & he was well liked in NYC.
I wish our old State Senator Tom Duane would run he would be great he isn't in anyone pocket

This post was edited by labrea on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 21:45

o

So many false equivalences.

At least Vitter didn't drown anyone.

Neither did Weiner.

I don't think I defended him. I said I voted for him. It was better than the alternative. I held my nose and did it. I'll do it again before I'll vote for someone that does not vote like I want them to.

You haven't seen anyone defend Weiner either. You also haven't seen anyone say they were voting for him since we don't even know if he is running. You might be able to hold your nose and vote for a liar or thief but not everyone can. You are used to it. We aren't and thankfully not everyone is like you. The difference is Weiner isn't a thief so some will probably vote for him because although he behaved abominably in his personal life he represented his community relatively well and accomplished a lot. They would do so because it is the best for the community, not simply because he walks in lockstep with their views like you.

No one knows what is going to happen with Weiner. We don't even know if heis going to run and who else besides Quinn is going to throw their hat in the ring or who, if anyone, is going to endorse him so right now it isn't a done deal which is why this thread is so ridiculous. We do know what Weiner did and accomplished when he was in office before acting like an azz in his personal life. We only know that Quinn is running and she is not liked by many. I'll wait to see who I am voting for when I actually know who is running and what my options are.

Yea, like liberals bringing up Ronald Reagan and trashing Margaret Thatcher? How hypocritical!

Margaret Thatcher and Ronald Reagan's actions and policies effected people around the globe, in the US, the UK, Canada, and beyond and included all of us. Weiner's don't - only a small segment of the US that have nothing to do with most of the people commenting. There's the difference.

Interesting though, Demi likes to go way back in history when she needs to slam someone, yet conveniently ignores all the years after the fact.

When you have nothing to respond with and that's all you got you go low-- the gutter. No different than the party that she champions. Birds of a feather.

Personal values mean nothing anymore......it's all about the politics. Which is precisely why you have such a "house" full of morally corrupt politicians.

You get more of what you subsidize....

My point exactly Chase. Demi is hardly one to criticize when all she has are liars, thieves and assorted low life's that they vote for over and over again, and as we see, they proudly admit to be willing to vote for the same sleaze again. no change. It only continues in Louisiana because it's acceptable to the voters. If there was any shame in being the 3rd most corrupt state in the union then they would at least try to bring on change. They haven't.

Weiner was an idiot who foolishly showed off his shortcomings on twitter embarassing himself and his wife No one knows if he will be voted in again and no one here that actually has the opportunity to do so has said they would. Demi's area has over 200 idiots that were indicted and many convicted for much more egregious and serious offenses and some not much different than Weiner. Yet Demi said, she would cast her vote for them or similar. That says it all. Another shining example of her do as she says, not as she does mantra.

o

Well, Mark Sanford is having another go at elective office why not that arrogant, lying, morals challenged pervert Weiner?

Oh, please! The double standards make my teeth hurt. Mark Sanford is not a lying morals challenged weasel? An Appalachian hiking weasel. His wife kicked him to the curb: good for her!

The soulmate will do until she starts to wrinkle.

o

Oh man, Id love to see weiner as the mayor of NYC, what a hoot. Can ya just imagine the late night comics!! and just to watch him at the job would be great!! Weiner for mayer, yeh

o

Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 20:49

Thanks for the answer, Labrea. I came in with something of a late-night-comic view of him and obviously needed different input.

o

My point exactly Chase. Demi is hardly one to criticize when all she has are liars, thieves and assorted low life's that they vote for over and over again, and as we see, they proudly admit to be willing to vote for the same sleaze again

That is a lie.

But I understand why you don't want to discuss the lying, arrogant pervert Weiner and instead want to discuss other people.

Including me, and insulting me for having an opinion on an opinion board.

Shall we pursue this epi?

o

Lying arrogant pervert !
I'm so glad we will never meet!

o

Considering his political record, it looks like he did a lot more good in DC than the "Party of NO" has done, will do or even ever cares to do.

Looks like he did a lot more for the people that he represented than any of the GOP in congress are doing or have done in well over 4 years.

Call him a "lying arrogant pervert" all you want, he still got things done, far more than can be said for the candidates you have supported, unless you call doing everything one can do to block anything and everything that congress is supposed to be doing, doing something useful and doing what they are supposed to be doing.

Maybe, just maybe, being an "lying arrogant pervert" is more preferable to what the GOP has to offer and has been doing.

o

Some [people make a habit out of bear baiting it was old when I first visited here that and the 25 line it's all about me kick me posts.
Anyway this link is about who is ahead in the polls & it's not flattering!

Here is a link that might be useful: bully alert

o

epi, it seems that you don't recall that maddie brought up Vitter on at least every third thread she posted on. I wouldn't vote for Vitter or Weiner for dog catcher. I like dogs too much.

Louisiana is as famous as Chicago for it's corrupt politicians. We know one when we see one. And for some unknown reason people vote for them. Doesn't mean they should.

o

A crotch twit pic...really quite tame.

I can't vote but would vote for him if I could. Seems Quinnberg will suck up all the Wall Street money so home he can get a campaign going.

o

Demi, what exactly do you want to "discuss" that you haven't stated already on the countless threads about Weiner like this ver thread or this one that Tobr started last year just like this one: " The Weiner man may run for mayor of NYC! " or this one
"It was Weiner's weiner " or this one "Weiner will resign" or this one
"'What should Weiner's wife do" or this one "Weiner"
or any of the others including those that you threw his name in as snark? So tell us what is it exactly that you want to "discuss" that is new that you haven't already stated ad nauseum?

He hasn't thrown his hat in the ring yet so we can't discuss his candidacy and there is no new information about him to discuss.. You know little about him to discuss what he has or hasn't done for NY'ers in the past and he hasn't stated what his views are in the last 2 years to discuss that so what exactly are you looking to discus that hasn't been discussed before in any of the threads above? We know you think he's a perv, you don't like him,... so it's good that you don't have to vote for him since you can't. What else? Come on, tell us what do you want to discuss?

o

To steal a line.....

If Weiner weren't a white man, I think this story would no longer be a story.

.....oooops make that a white liberal man

o
The same threads over and over again

Mrskjun, Maddie hasn't posted on this thread so that is irrelevent. Vitter wasn't only caught in a scandal with a madam he was also one to publically proclaim loudly and often his stance on "family values" and was one of the most vocal voices calling for Clinton to resign for the Lewinsky affair so he was also a hypocrite which made it worse.

The sad fact is that Louisiana puts Chicago (Illinois) to shame with corrupt pol's. Louisiana was ranked 3rd worst and Illinois was somwhere around 14th. Neither good but Louisiana has taken it to an art form.

I agree corrupt is corrupt but Weiner wasn't corrupt. Stupid, an azz, weird,... but not corrupt and as Labrea pointed out upthread he actually accomplished quite a bit before he personally self-destructed with his behavior on twitter.

Again, Weiner hasn't put his hat in the ring yet. Tobr posted another thread just like this one back in 2012 about him running for Mayor (linked above) to stir the pot but until he does, this is really a non-subject and seems like it is done for sport since he throws these threads out there and then watches everyone bite and doesn't participate.

If Weiner runs we can just repost this thread and the other one and be done unless there is anything new to "discuss".

o

Perhaps it's not so much about supporting him as it about standing up to what I find to be a disordered sense of sanctimony.& self righteousness that so often drips like a venereal infection if not cascades form these posts.

o

This is an excellent and useful post, Labrea. I plan to re-use it in the future. I've often felt exactly this way and couldn't find the words. Now I have; yours. Thanks ;-)

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 21:47

Lying arrogant pervert !
I'm so glad we will never meet!

You have said far worse about a lot more people.

"I'm so glad we will never meet!"

Well, okay. Whatever. It's odd that even crossed your mind.

Can't you respect someone else's right to do the very thing that you do--calling out public figures for their hypocrisy and wrongdoing--without making such a comment about meeting me?

It comes off as juvenile and childish.

o

Does anyone understand what it means to "sponsor" a bill?

It doesn't mean you wrote it or suggested it or aided in promoting it. It means you agreed to vote for it, possibly for some sort of consideration(not money, that would be illegal). Maybe he should have spent less time in the gym.

While his record of voting was not the worst among Reps, It wasn't all that good either.

"From Jan 1999 to Jun 2011, Weiner missed 472 of 8,638 roll call votes, which is 5.5%. This is worse than the median of 2.6% among the lifetime records of representatives serving in Jun 2011. "

If you look for this quote you will find a chart under it, if you like that sort of thing. Above it you will see one of those poka-dot charts comparing his positions relative to other Reps. Admittedly that score was made worse by the final 20+% he ran up just before he resigned.

Here is a link that might be useful: missed votes

o

Not odd I think at least on more than one occasion expressed a willingness to forgo my loathing an offered a guided tour, I meant it.

"It comes off as juvenile and childish". Yes there it is again the intense narcissistic smug, arrogant & perverted sense of how defective so many are how undeserving.so many are.

Ah well another post that has to be about you an age old tradition!

o

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 23:49

Not odd I think at least on more than one occasion expressed a willingness to forgo my loathing an offered a guided tour, I meant it.

"It comes off as juvenile and childish". Yes there it is again the intense narcissistic smug, arrogant & perverted sense of how defective so many are how undeserving.so many are.

Ah well another post that has to be about you an age old tradition!

That may be what you assume about me, but you're wrong.

Why do you loathe me?

This post was edited by demifloyd on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 23:59

o

Why do you loathe me?
This topic isn't about you!

o

No, it's not.

So why did you say, "I'm so glad we will never meet!"?

That thought and comment had nothing to do with the topic.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 0:19

o

"So why did you say, "I'm so glad we will never meet!"?"

Maybe that was just the thought that was crossing his mind at the time.

o

Sleepless the suggestion was he did nothing!

o

In the end he may not run in the end it will be New Yorker's who decide who they are going to loathe for the next 4 to 12 years. Depending on how term limits are manipulated. No one can be worse than the smarmy self promoting sack Giuliani & I voted for him once. I give Bloomberg a B and we may get Wiener who I probably won't like any better than any other mayor NY has had. It's a tough City to work with & should have 5 mayors rather than Boro Presidents.

o

Thanks for bringing up the biggest sleaze NYC ever had as mayor...Rudy Guiliani. What a comb over creep he was...He wanted to bring his whore to live in Gracie Mansion. Only problem was his wife and kids were living there. So screwing another woman openly while your family lived in the Gov. residence is somehow more wholesome than crotch photos . Weiner never touched or had sex with these women. What he did was very problematic, but Vitter, Craig, and a gazillion other GOPers were much worse.

I kinda wish now I could vote for the guy if he decides to run. I really like his wife.

o

Uh, Giuliani the biggest sleaze in NY...I think not. Tammany Hall ring any bells in the history of sleaze?

o

Who cares?

o

OH yeah Tammany them long out of power before most of us were born!

o

Sleaze does not know generational bounds...even in NY.

o

LOL Tammany Hall. Let's really dig deep, how about pre-civil war politics if we are going to be ridiculous.

Uh, Giuliani the biggest sleaze in NY...I think not.

MANY of us NY'ers think so. . "America's Mayor" isn't well regarded here by so many people and if we are going to judge people on their personal life as this thread was intended to do then he gets a fail too.

Let's start with mistress #1 Christine Lategano, his press secretary/girlfriend who, when he was outed, was moved from his office and gifted with the cushy job of running the NYC tourist bureau, basically making $200k and doing little but he had already moved on to #2 mistress, Judy Nathan, by then anyway. We were subsidiizing Judy too because we, as in NY'er's, were paying for her very own security detail and transportation. Rudy didnt give the women in his life jewels - he let NY'ers pay for their transport/security or gave them jobs where we paid their salaries. And of course there was Donna, his actual wife, who was told that he was leaving her via the NY Post. What a great guy. The salt of the earth.

That was just his personal life. Not enough time to discuss what he did to this city politically and those he destroyed doing it.

He may have had his greatest moments the week of 9/11 where he handled the crisis well, but other than that he is not liked by many of those that actually matter - NY'ers.
You want him, take him. He's old news just like Tammany Hall.

o

I should not have used the term "ever". I only read of Tammany Hall, /Boss Tweed in history books , and I was just speaking of the modern era.

o

No clue who Tammany is but Rudy is the sleaze that reigns supreme and his leadership during 9-11 is sullied by the sickness that came after because they were to,d the air was fine and just disgusting how he used 9-11 after that for his gain.

Epi, I worked in NYC tourism during that time...oh the stories!

o

epi, if a 47 year old guy sending pictures of his crotch to college girls isn't considered at least corrupt...we sure have different definitions.

o

Epi, I worked in NYC tourism during that time...oh the stories!

LOL. I only can imagine. I knew her from some projects I was working on for an organization I was with at the time. I was young and impressionable and she certainly made an impression. She was a real piece of work and untouchable and she knew it. When she was his press secretary they were inseparable. You never saw a picture of him without her either next to him or standing right behind him. Considering their relationship at the time was an open secret I can only imagine how Donna Hanover Giuliani felt every time she turned on the tv or opened a newspaper and saw here standing there right next to him. She was a lovely lady and I imagine still is and from what I understand happily married and living in California.

Tammany Hall was the political machine and is a fascinating and disturbring era in NYC history and was as corrupt as you can get. It was not a stellar time. You have no doubt heard of some of the players like Boss Tweed but to bring it up as an example of modern politics and the Weiner affair is ridiculous. NYC has cleaned up its act since then and with the exception of a few bad eggs, is nothing like it was back in the day. Check out the dates and what they did. We have had others since but I guess it was used because of its notoriaty and for dramatic effect.

The Tammany Society was founded in New York City in 1789 by William Mooney, a Revolutionary War veteran. It drew its name from a respected Delaware chief, Tammend or Tamanend, who had reportedly befriended William Penn. The Society, sometimes called the Columbian Order, was originally a patriotic and charitable organization.

In 1798, Aaron Burr helped to mold the organization into a political force dedicated to anti-Federalist principles. This partisan group was used effectively to support Burr and Thomas Jefferson in the Election of 1800.

A watershed event occurred in 1817 when the Irish managed to force their way into membership in Tammany. The practice of exchanging votes for benefits quickly became the organization's backbone. In 1830, the group's headquarters were established in Tammany Hall and thereafter the name of the association and the location were synonymous.

Tammany Hall elected its first mayor, Fernando Wood, in 1855. New York City would be governed by Tammany forces for the next 70 years with only a few short interruptions. In 1868, William Marcy Tweed headed Tammany and ushered in an era of extreme corruption. Tweed was successful with making the organization a statewide force, but was eventually brought down by a reform attorney, Samuel J. Tilden.

Tammany Hall regained its strength in the 1880s and was prominent in the life of the city. Such figures as Richard Croker, Alfred E. Smith and Jimmy Walker were deeply involved in the dealings of the machine. In the 1930s, reform mayor Fiorello la Guardia, backed by Franklin D. Roosevelt, sharply reduced the power and influence of Tammany Hall. It lingered for several decades as a county organization, but was finally ended by another reform mayor, John V. Lindsay, in the 1960s.

Tammany Hall, the building is still standing and is located in Union Square. It now houses the NY Film Academy but the name is still in stone above the door, reminding people of that time in the city's history.

One of the players listed above is Mayor Jimmy Walker. A real piece of work.
His former home is 6 St. Lukes Place. One of my favorite sites to peruse is Daytonian in Manhattan where he gives the history of many of NY's buildings and homes.It's a great site if you ever have time to sit and read it. This is a little tidbit about the illustrious philandering mayor Jimmy Walker.

Here, at No. 6, little Jimmy Walker grew up. After attending the nearby Catholic Xavier High School, James John Walker worked as a songwriter on Tin Pan Alley, penning such then-favorites as “Will you love me in December (as You Do in May)?” and “There’s Music in the Rustle of a Skirt.” The sentiment of the latter lyrics would prove to be more in keeping with his personality than the former.

Walker entered politics, his father being well-connected with the governor of New York, Al Smith. He became a State Assemblyman in 1910 and then a Senator in 1914. Smith took a shine to Walker, who impressed everyone with the dashing appearance that earned him the nickname “Beau James.”...

Although Jimmy Walker had earned himself the reputation of a philander and a boozer, Smith encouraged Walker to run for Mayor in 1925 ��" admonishing him to change his ways. Walker agreed. Except he didn’t change his ways....

Walker won the election and immediately decided his home on St. Luke’s Place, now the mayoral residence, needed a $25,000 make-over. In November 1925 he moved into the Hotel Commodore with his wife while workmen soundproofed his conference room with simulated-wood cement walls and made other revisions. Two lampposts were installed at street level which the New York Times noted were customary since Dutch times.
Six months later the renovation was complete. The mayor’s wife and mother-in-law had a special celebratory dinner prepared. The mayor failed to show up. When he attempted to call home he had forgotten the new, unlisted number and no operator would reveal it.

Finally at 3:00 am, Jimmy Walker stumbled home. The police officer stationed at the front door, not recognizing him and unable to believe that this “disreputable looking man” was indeed the mayor, refused to allow him in....

Things turned sour for the mayor when the Great Depression hit. None too fond of showing up at City Hall, he was definitely not fond of the crick the Depression was causing in his fun. As the Depression worsened, Walker shocked the public when he callously advised them to look on the bright side by attending cheery movies.

New York Cardinal Hayes denounced the mayor’s philandering and drinking and Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt launched an investigation of corruption in Walker’s administration. It did not take long to find it.

Facing pressure from Roosevelt, Walker resigned office on September 1, 1932 and fled to Europe with his girlfriend, Zeigfeld showgirl Betty Compton, before charges could be filed. There he married her after obtaining a divorce from his wife. The pair was divorced six years later.

Mrsk, you should look up the definition of political corruption. Here ya go: Political corruption is the use of power by government officials for illegitimate private gain. Misuse of government power for other purposes, such as repression of political opponents and general police brutality, is not considered political corruption. Neither are illegal acts by private persons or corporations not directly involved with the government. An illegal act by an officeholder constitutes political corruption only if the act is directly related to their official duties, is done under color of law or involves trading in influence.

I certainly don't approve of what Weiner did. It was inappropriate at the very least and I have no admiration for the man. He wouldn't be my first choice for Mayor for that very reason but I find a man who is faithful to his wife but takes bribes, kickbacks and other unsavory tactics that directly affect those he has sworn to serve worse.

Weiner's antics affected him much more than it did the city and those he was serving, unlike those that practice the other things I listed. Your state has an abundance of those and it doesn't seem to have gotten much better over the years. On the contrary. Since we don't know definitively if he is running I am not giving it much thought unlike others who seem to think this is a fun topic, but I do know that Quinn is running and have no intention of voting for her so depending on who runs against her I will make my decision based on reality not possibilities and will decide when there are actual candidates to make my choice.

Here's a pic of the Walker home on St. Luke's place from Daytonian in Manhattan. More information and pics of the house and the former mayor at the site.

Edited to add picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Tammany Hall on wiki

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 17:04

o

Mrsk, you should look up the definition of political corruption.

Thank you, Epi. You saved me from commenting on the misuse of the word 'corruption.'

Mayor Walker puts our contemporary philandering California mayors to shame. If you're going to do it, do it right. It appears that Giuliani learned that lesson.

Gavin Newsom

Antonio Villaraigosa

Rudy Giuliani

L.A. mayoral hopeful Eric Garcetti -- still faithful (that we know of)

o

I agree corrupt is corrupt but Weiner wasn't corrupt.

Got it...politically corrupt only...morally corrupt is a ok.

o

Guliani and his boo #1

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics of America's mayor and his boo #1

o

Rudy Giuliani and boo #2

o
Lie

morally corrupt is a ok.

Is that what you think? Since no one else has said that or even alluded to it then it isn't anyone else's opinion except your own.

If you are trying to once again distort what others are saying into something that simply isn't true then you are not being honest. If that isn't what you are doing, and you have seen someone say that then show us where anyone has said that or what he did was ok or right or acceptable or that they supported his behavior or anything like it. We'll wait.

Until you do, and unless you can then the statement above is a lie. Again, the only one who has said that so far is now YOU.

Adolescent behavior like this is not becoming on an adult.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:03

o

"Sleaze does not know generational bounds...even in NY."
Ok you winning any NY school kid learns about TWEED Court House.
The case remains Giuliani a noun a verb & 911 a smarmy sack!
"Giuliani Partners has made literally billions on opportunities to suck the government tap dry. He somehow got the label of Security Expert"

"Giuliani put his emergency management command center ��" his bunker - in the biggest terrorist target in the country, after it was already bombed in the ‘90s and a vow was made by terrorists that they would bring those towers down. It’s one of life’s great eternal mysteries, like the evolutionary process that produced the sawfish and the narwhal."

"The most dumbfounding thing he ever did, after making his career, and literally billions of dollars, exploiting the attacks and the fear, was to appear in an interview and attempt to revise history by claiming there was never even one attack on Bush’s watch'

This post was edited by labrea on Sat, Apr 13, 13 at 18:18

o

Your words epi....I agree corrupt is corrupt but Weiner wasn't corrupt.

And you don't have to resort to name calling....call yourself the winner...I'm done.

o

mrsk, nope he was not politically corrupt based on the definition given above and we are discussing political corruption and whether one should vote for a the man for a political office.

I already gave my opinion of his behavior and what he did on Twitter. As I have stated over and over and over and... again he is an azz, as well as this:

"I certainly don't approve of what Weiner did. It was inappropriate at the very least and I have no admiration for the man. He wouldn't be my first choice for Mayor for that very reason"

You can cherry pick my posts and try to distort, contort, twist and change my words and meaning to fit your agenda and play your silly games but you can't change the facts, which is that I have stated my disapproval of his behavior here and on the other threads about him, as much as you try.

It's good you are done because the more you post the sillier and dishonest you look.

o

Epi I find this battle astounding don't you?.
How many corrupt freaking politicians have been mentioned on here for the last couple of years & you get a peep here and there .
I Think I've posted at least 4 or 5 majorly corrupt Dems on here in the past year and big yawns .

we had major busts of trying to turn a Dem into a Republican candidate for mayor a few weeks back

Ho Hum

Dan Halloran is a Republican city councilman who is accused of working as a "quarterback" in State Senator Malcolm Smith's bribery scheme, identifying officials who would be open to bribes and arranging meetings with them, prosecutors said.

Halloran, 42, arranged for an undercover FBI agent who was posing as a real estate developer to meet with two Republican county leaders to bribe the county leaders for their support of Smith's mayoral campaign, authorities said.

Halloran also agreed to steer up to $80,000 in City Council funds to the FBI's posed real estate developer, in exchange for the developer's participation in the scheme, prosecutors said.

In return for his services, Halloran allegedly pulled in about $20,500 in cash bribes for himself and said he wanted to be named deputy police commissioner or mayor if Smith was elected mayor, officials said.

Halloran was arrested Tuesday and charged with wire fraud and participating in a bribery conspiracy.

Halloran, a lifelong Queens resident, was known as an outspoken conservative member of the City Council and was named a "Rising Star" in City & State's 40 Under 40 list. He was elected in 2010 and represents the 19th District.

Vincent Tabone

Vincent Tabone is vice chairman of the Queens County Republican Party. He is accused of taking a $25,000 bribe in return for supporting Democratic State Senator Malcolm Smith's bid to run for mayor as a Republican.

Smith would have needed support from three of the city's five county Republican leaders in order to run as a Republican because he is a registered Democrat, and Tabone promised to help in Queens in exchange for cash, prosecutors said.

Tabone, 46, is also an aide to Republican John Catsimatidis, the wealthy Gristedes owner who is running for mayor this fall, working on the campaign and as a lawyer in the real estate department of Red Apple Group since 2008.

Tabone, a Queens resident, was arrested Tuesday and charged with wire fraud and participating in a bribery conspiracy.

Joseph Savino

Joseph Savino is chairman of the Bronx County Republican Party. He is accused of taking a $15,000 cash bribe in return for supporting Democratic State Senator Malcolm Smith's bid to run for mayor as a Republican.

Savino is one of the five Republican county leaders Smith would have had to win over in order to run for mayor on the Republican line because he is a Democrat. Savino promised to help in exchange for the $15,000 up front and the promise of another $15,000 after giving Smith what he needed.

Savino, 45, a Rockland County Resident, was arrested Tuesday and charged with wire fraud and participating in a bribery conspiracy.

o

Boos 1 and 2! I'm loling! #crazy eyes

Quite the colorful history. We have our own "Tammany Hall" here in Nassau in the form of The Town Of Hempstead but with less interesting people. Probably one if the last true political machines in the country.

Labrea, my husband was one of the men that worked on the bunker and all the talk was about where they put it. He was a huge fan of Jerry Hauer though.

I wanted Weiner to resign at the time...now just see s silly but I did feel so upset. It's fair game to talk about it now though since he is obviously testing the waters.

We get some douseys in New York...the republican field was filled with so many creepers. The story above is just cray cray as my son would say.

o

Epi I find this battle astounding don't you

Have I mentioned that vortex lately? ;)

Boos 1 and 2! I'm loling! #crazy eyes

Glad I was able to give you a morning chuckle. That was one of the better pics I of found of her. :) Memories!?!

I would agree IF there was something new to talk about but there isn't. If you notice in my links above we have had this convo so many times we are all just regurgitating the same things based on nothing so far. Tobr started the same exact thread back in July ( The Weiner man may run for mayor of NYC!) when Weiner was "thinking" about running back then and nothing has changed - he still hasn't thrown his hat in the ring and we have no further info on anything about him so until he does or something happens what is there left to say that hasn't been already?

As Labrea said he has posted other threads about other pols that we can discuss but they didn't elicit the same response as the posts on Weiner. Based on what we see on here many like to discuss Weiner's behavior but aren't interested in discussing other pols who are only thieves and liars.

o

If I recall correctly Rudy's wife, Donna Hanover, was more attractive than both these bimbos...and nicer too. .

o

It doesn't matter what Giuliani's wife looked like. She could have been the most unattractive woman in the world (she wasn't) but he married her and as the mother of his two children she didn't deserve to be humilated the way he did for so many years. No matter how acrimonious the marriage may have become she also didn't deserve to learn of the demise of it or learn of his new boo via a press conference and the headline of the NY Post. That says a lot about the man he is.

To those who got to know Giuliani through a week of soundbites he apparently seemed like a hero (based on the comments on here) but to those who lived under his reign, and saw the many facets of the man, he was far from it.

I tried to come up with something that I could admire about him and although he did take control of the city for that 1 week of 9/11, even then there were many things that he did that were wrong and questionable and the only accolade I could come up with was that he was good at snow removal in Manhattan.

o

"As Labrea said he has posted other threads about other pols that we can discuss but they didn't elicit the same response as the posts on Weiner..."

Seriously, I think it's the ridiculous name that sort of juts out stiffly and pokes one in the eye. A name like "Wiener" is so hard to forget.

o

Right. The least he could do is change his first and middle names to Oscar and Meyer.

You know, elvis, not everyone's a Smith, Anderson, Jones, Farquahar, or Zdunczyk.

o

Duluth some people apparently aren't exposed to other cultures and/or haven't matured much as we see here:
Seriously, I think it's the ridiculous name that sort of juts out stiffly and pokes one in the eye. A name like "Wiener" is so hard to forget.

Most people stop making fun of family names by middle school if not before. At least those with some sense. Elvis' post shows clearly that some don't.

Weiner (note the spelling Elvis since you are the self appointed school marm on HT and is how his family spells it) is an old German - Austrian name and is very common. The irony lost it's humor long ago for most people at least those who have matured.

People like Elvis are the reason that Eric Weiner wrote this piece for the NY Times.

Weiner Like Me
By ERIC WEINER
Published: June 7, 2011

IT’S never easy being a Weiner, but I can’t recall a week as difficult as this one. I desperately want to escape myself, but I can’t. I am everywhere. Today, I learned I have few allies, even among Democrats, and that I may have given public relations advice to a porn star. My wife, though, is standing by me. For now.

Representative Anthony D. Weiner, the congressman from New York (no relation, as far as I know), has rendered my life a lot less fun. I’m afraid to Google myself, normally one of my favorite activities, lest I find myself confronted with those now-ubiquitous bulging shorts. (Not my shorts, just to clarify.) I’ve become adept at hiding the morning news before my 6-year-old daughter asks, again, “Dad, why is our name in the newspaper?” In the digital age, we are yoked, for better or worse, to those with whom we share certain letter combinations. Names matter, now more than ever.

The truth is I don’t know how to feel about my namesake, caught recently with his pants (nearly) down. On the one hand, as a fellow Weiner, I feel his pain. On the other hand, he has given us Weiners a bad name, and let’s face it: we didn’t have a great one to begin with. It wasn’t easy growing up a Weiner. Kids possess a special talent for cruelty, one that I now realize is rivaled only by that of headline writers. I’m having serious junior high school flashbacks.

We Weiners, though, are eminently adaptable. It’s a survival thing. At some point, my father, Seymour, changed the pronunciation of our family name from WEEN-er to WHINE-er because, really, who wants to be known as Seymour WEEN-er? It was a Faustian bargain, to be sure, but a wise one. At least that’s what I thought until “Saturday Night Live” aired a popular skit about a couple named Doug and Wendy WHINE-er. They would speak, of course, in grating, whining voices that my classmates parroted whenever they pronounced my last name, which was often. Those were difficult years.

Later in life, I tried to embrace my Weiner-ness. As a correspondent for NPR, I signed off by pronouncing my last name strongly and proudly, unlike some broadcast personalities who change their names to something more anodyne. (Can you hear me, Jon Stewart?) I wrote a book about happiness, riffing off the irony that my last name is pronounced WHINE-er. Yes, I thought I had managed to make the best of the hand that God ��" and my grandfather ��" had dealt me.

Then this. How could you, Anthony? And why wasn’t I ��" indeed, why weren’t Weiners everywhere ��" listed among those whom you hurt? I mean, you seemed to cover most of the free world. Would it have killed you to throw your namesakes in there, too?

With all due respect to Shakespeare, a rose by any other name just isn’t the same. We look in the mirror and see not a generic person but a very specific one. We see Ted, and Sarah, and José, and yes, sometimes we see a Weiner. Names don’t merely describe. They invest meaning. The river of semantics flows in both directions. Call someone a nincompoop often enough and long enough and they start to believe it. There is no such thing as “mere semantics.” Names matter.

Some friends suggest that “Weinergate” is good for me and my writing career. I’m not so sure. Indeed, I believe it’s time we re-think that old saw about there being no such thing as bad publicity. I suspect Anthony would agree. No, Weinergate is not good for us Weiners any more than Watergate was good for water.

So, I have a request of the media: enough with the puns. Enough of the “Weiner wrap” to describe your team coverage of the scandal. Enough of the “Weiner probes” and the “stiff criticism” and, yes (I’m talking to you, Daily Beast), enough of “Weiner’s Junk Defense.” This man’s name ��" my name! ��" is not license to regress to 7th grade. So, with all due respect, members of the media everywhere: please give the Weiner jokes a break. They give people like me a bad name. And names matter.

Eric Weiner is the author of “Man Seeks God: My Flirtations with the Divine,” to be published in December.

It's apparent that it isn't only kids who have a penchant for cruelty.

The proper pronunciation as used in Germany and Austria is Viner and some use the Americanized pronunciation winer, but it is also pronounced by some as "Weener".

There have been many smart, well respected people with the surname.

Educate yourself Elvis.

Here is a site that gives you the origins of the name.

Last name: Weiner
Recorded in many spelling forms including Vine, Vigne, Vyner (England), Lavigne, Devigne, Desvignes, Vinau, Vigne, Vignaux, Vignault, (France), Vingneri, Vignolo, Vignozzi, Vignone (Italy), Vina and Vinas (Spain & Portugal), Wein, Weine, Weins and Weiner (Germany), and many others, this surname is of Roman (Latin) origins. Deriving from the ancient word 'vinum' meaning wine, and recorded in almost every European country in its myriad localised forms, it is either a topographical name for someone who lived at vineyard, or an occupational name for a vine producer, or it derives from the popular personal name of endearment of the pre 5th century a.d.'Vinea', which actually means "sweet wine". The Romans spread the art of wine growing throughout their empire, wines being grown in England for instance, as far north as Yorkshire, and there are several places named Vineyard in the counties of Essex and Cambridgeshire, which may be sources of the later surname. The earliest examples of all surname recordings are generally to be found in England and Germany and examples taken from registers throughout Europe include Henry de la Vine in 1283, and Roger atte Vine in 1297, both in the records known as the 'London letter books', whilst Egkehard Weyne is recorded in Kassel, Germany, in 1420. Other recordings include Isaie Vigneule, the son of Eles Vigneule, born at Baronviller, Meurther-et-Moselle, France, on September 6th 1584, and Marguerite Vignaux, who married Paul Tisseire at Belflou, Aude, also France, on January 28th 1795. The first recorded spelling of the family name is believed to be that of Robert de Vigne. This was dated 1236, in the rolls known as "Liber Feodorum" for the county of Somerset, England.
Last name origins & meanings:

German: occupational name for a cartwright; central German form of Wagner.
Altered spelling of Wiener.
Jewish (Ashkenazic): occupational name from Yiddish vayner ‘wine merchant’, ‘keeper of a wine shop’.

Weiner is a surname originating in the German language. The name is related to Wagner and means the same (wheelwright) in an old variant of the German dialect in Lower Silesia.[1]

In the 18th and 19th centuries some Jews adopted the name, which means "wine merchant" in Yiddish. The name is common among German Americans: see also German family name etymology.

Weiner may refer to:

Adam Weiner (born 1975), Polish handball goalkeeper
Allan Weiner (born 1953), American radio broadcast campaigner
Allen Weiner, former Stanford Professor of International Law
Andrew Weiner (born 1949), Canadian science fiction writer
Anthony Weiner (born 1964), American politician
Arnold M. Weiner, American lawyer in Maryland
Art Weiner (born 1926), American football player
Ben Weiner (born 1980), American contemporary artist
Bernie Weiner, American football player
Bernard Weiner (born 1935), American psychologist
Charles R. Weiner (1922��"2005), United States federal judge
Dan Weiner (1919��"1959), American photojournalist
Dave Weiner (born 1976), American guitarist
David Weiner, a Contributing Editor at the Huffington Post
Edmund Weiner (born 1950), British lexicographer
Egon Weiner (1906��"1987), sculptor and professor
Ehud Weiner (changed name to Ehud Manor) (1941��"2005), Israeli songwriter, translator, and radio and TV personality
Ellis Weiner, American author and humorist
Eric Weiner, American author and NPR correspondent
Erik Weiner (born 1977), American actor, comedian, and writer
Ernst Weiner (1913��"1945), a German SS Hauptsturmführer during World War II
Gerry Weiner (born 1933), Canadian politician
Greg Weiner, playgirl photographer
Hannah Weiner (1928��"1997), American poet
Hans Weiner (born 1950), German former footballer
Irving B. Weiner, American psychologist
Jennifer Weiner (born 1970), American author and former journalist
Jody Weiner, American novelist, non-fiction author, film producer, and lawyer
Jonathan Weiner, American popular science author
Joshua Weiner, American poet
Justus Weiner, international human rights lawyer
Lazar Weiner, a Ukrainian-born, American-naturalized composer of Yiddish song
László Weiner (1916��"1944), Hungarian composer, pianist, and conductor
Lawrence Weiner (born 1942), American conceptual artist
Lee Weiner, American anti-war activist and one of the Chicago Seven
Leo Weiner (1885��"1960), Hungarian music educator
Marc Weiner (born 1955), American comedian
Mark Weiner, professor of law
Matthew Weiner (born 1965), American screenwriter, producer and director
Michael Weiner (actor) (born 1975), American actor and composer
Michael Weiner (professor), Professor at Soka University of America
Michael Savage, American talk-show host
Michael Weiner (executive) (born 1961), Executive Director or the Major League Baseball Players Association
Michael Weiner (referee) (born 1969), German football referee
Michele Weiner-Davis, MSW, marriage and family therapist and author
Myron Weiner, American political scientist
Randy Weiner, American playwright, producer, and theater/nightclub owner
Richard Weiner (Czech writer) (1884��"1937), Czech journalist and writer
Richard Weiner (American author) (born 1927), American filmmaker-author
Richard M. Weiner (born 1930), professor of theoretical physics & author
Robert Weiner, Jr., American water polo player
Ron Weiner, American television writer
Russell Weiner, creator of the Rockstar energy drink
Steve Weiner, Canadian writer and animator
Susan Weiner, politician from Georgia, USA
Tim Weiner, Pulitzer Prize-winning author
Todd Weiner (born 1975), Atlanta Falcons offensive lineman
Zach Weiner (born 1982), author and illustrator, webcomic cartoonist
Zachary Weiner, CEO of Luxuryreach Inc.
Weiner, Arkansas, a city
Weiner's, an American clothing retailer
Alexander S. Wiener (1907��"76), leader in the fields of forensic medicine, serology, and immunogenetics
Alfred Wiener (1885��"1964), German Jewish campaigner against Nazism and anti-semitism
Wiener Library, London institute for the study of the Holocaust
Charles Wiener (1851��"1919), Austrian-French scientist-explorer best known for traveling extensively in Peru and nearly re-discovering Machu Picchu
Élisabeth Wiener, French actress
Frederick Bernays Wiener (1906��"96), American jurist
Jacques Wiener (1815��"99), Belgian Jewish-Flemish engraver
Jacques L. Wiener, Jr. (born 1934), American judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
Jean Wiener (1896-1982), French pianist, composer
Jon Wiener, American professor of history
Julien Wiener (born 1955), Australian cricketer
L.H. Wiener (born 1945), Dutch writer
Leigh Wiener (1929��"93), American photographer and photojournalist
Leo Wiener (1862��"1939) American historian, linguist, author, and translator of Lev Tolstoy's collected works
Malcolm H. Wiener (born 1935), Aegean prehistorian and philanthropist
Mark Wiener (born 1951), American abstract painter
Martin Wiener (born 1941), U.S. political historian and author
Michael A. Wiener (c. 1938��"2009), American business executive
Murray A. Wiener (born 1909), polar explorer and photographer
Norbert Wiener (1894��"1964), American mathematician
Wiener process, a mathematical model related to Brownian motion
Wiener equation
Wiener filter
Wiener (crater), a crater on the far side of the Moon
Otto Wiener (1911��"2000), Austrian baritone
Otto Wiener (physicist) ((1862-1927), German physicist
Paul Lester Wiener (1895��"1967), American architect and urban planner
Phyllis Wiener (born 1921), American painter
Rosalind Wiener Wyman (born 1930), Los Angeles politician
Scott Wiener, American politician
Valerie Wiener, American politician
Josh Keaton (born 1979), born Joshua Luis Wiener, American actor, voice actor, singer, and music producer

Places
Wiener Neudorf, a town in the eastern part of the Mödling district, Austria.
Wiener Neustadt, a town south of Vienna, in the state of Lower Austria, Austria.
Wiener Stadthalle, an indoor arena, in Vienna, Austria.
Wiener Staatsoper, the Vienna State Opera.

Other uses
The Wiener Börse, a stock exchange in Vienna, Austria
The Wiener Library, the world's oldest institution devoted to the study of the Holocaust
The Wiener Werkstätte, an Austrian production community of visual artists
The Wiener Sport-Club, an Austrian athletic club
Wiener Zeitung, an Austrian newspaper
Wiener dog, colloquial term for dachshund
wiener, a colloquial term for the penis

o

tsk tsk elvis, you have to remember that you can't poke fun on HT. Gotta have a place where people have a sense of humor. And this ain't it!!

o

"you have to remember that you can't poke fun on HT."

"poke fun". Groan. OMG OMG OMG, What, no "LOLzing"? Bummer, Mrs.

o

My German maiden name is some form of Weiner, but we gave up making fun of someone's name in kindergarten. My weiner dog does get offended though.

o

You know you can't pin down humor - it's another one of those elusive things. Even more complex for someone who can laugh only at the foibles of another, but never at their own.

o

"Even more complex for someone who can laugh only at the foibles of another, but never at their own."

I'm into the self-deprecating sort as well as the type of celebrity-bashing one sees nightly on TV, Mylab. So don't worry about me. However, there are plenty here on HT who need to grow a sense of humor regarding themselves, that's for sure. Not you, of course ;-)

I don't, however, find "practical jokes" funny, although I've never been at either end of one. Is that wrong?

o

tsk tsk elvis, you have to remember that you can't poke fun on HT

You know I appreciate good humor as much as the next person but not at the expense of others and when it cuts to the core.

The name Weiner has been traditionally used in anti-semitic jokes. There are plenty of "jokes" about "weiner roasts" when referring to cremating Jews. Do you find that funny too Mrsk? Elvis?

If you think it is funny to make fun of someone's name so be it but sometimes it isn't funny and it is deeper than that. . If you think it is funny to poke fun at something that represents a persons father, grandfather and ancestors that is your business but many don't.

Apparently Eric Weiner was so affected by the "humor" that his name evoked that he wrote about it in the NY Times. I tried to sensitize you to it by posting that article hoping you would take the hint without having to go "there" but you left me no choice. You apparently can't see beyond your own ignorant nose. It wasn't funny to him and so many others who have had problems simply because they had that last name. It is usually excused by adolescents but one would think that as one matures they have more sense and are better educated. Apparently not as Elvis continues to prove. .

You can dish it out but you can't take it Mrsk. Hard to forget the umbrage you took at your perceived disrespect when you cried fowl and accused others poking fun at Southeners. I understood and never partook in it. The next time someone pokes fun at you and your ancestors and your people I will remember to howl with laughter at you too.

Some people never grow up as we see here and some people are just vile.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 22:58

o

"There are plenty of "jokes" about "weiner roasts" when referring to cremating Jews"

I can't articulate how twisted that is. You keep some pretty um, eclectic company, Epi.

o

It would be a political miracle if he or any other married politician came back from such bad behavior so soon . Just another example of this guy's arrogance .

Here is a link that might be useful: The Weinerlogues

o

LOLzing all over the place...too funny ;D

o

You're right. That is funny.

o

O.M.G.

Those texts just reinforced what I thought of that foolish man years ago.

o

You keep some pretty um, eclectic company

Indeed I do Elvis, many wonderful, intelligent individuals. But you don't know me nor the company I keep so another asinine comment. Thankfully none are the likes of you.

I already said in a word what I think of your posts and that incudes your unfounded, outrageous accusation about other posters on the Dr. Carson thread.
When people show you who they are believe them. I do. Enough said

o

Honestly, his name would only merit a quick, juvenile chuckle if it were not for the irony of his name combined with the pictures that he sent. Then again, that episode is old news and some of the power of the humor has worn off and that situation is just rather pathetic.

o

Anthony Weiner thinks about testing the NYC electoral waters.

From NYT Sunday Magazine: Anthony Weiner and Huma Abedin’s Post-Scandal Playbook

o

Elvis, your response at 19:57:
I chose to stay out of this thread - so leave me out of it.

o

Mylab, let's allow elvis to display some of that self-deprecating humor.

Since your screen name and mine are so similar, ascribing my post of Sunday 19:06 to you is... :-)

o

"Since your screen name and mine are so similar, ..."

Sorry, ladies. No excuse whatsoever. Brain fart; excuse me.

o

Good enough, Elvis. It happens to everyone.

o

Thanks, Duluth

;-D

o

You're welcome, Elvis.

o
There's More to Come!

Please spare us.

If Weiner seeks office, he's warned us he was a busier boy that we thought--apparently he had a lot of time on his hands.

"Former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) said Wednesday there might be more controversial photos circulating from his time in Congress.

Weiner resigned in 2011 after images of him in various states of undress surfaced. The New York lawmaker sent the images via Twitter to women he met online.

“If reporters want to go try to find more, I can’t say that they’re not going to be able to find another picture, or find another �" you know, person who may want to come out on their own, but I’m not going to contribute to that," Weiner told RNN-TV."
From The Hill Apr 24, 2013

o

If Weiner seeks office, he's warned us he was a busier boy that we thought--apparently he had a lot of time on his hands.

Well. then don't vote for him if he runs. Oh that's right, you don't live here so it isn't your problem anyway.

Perhaps instead of concerning yourself with NYC's local politics your time would be better spent concentrating on reforming the politics and the bevy of corrupt politicians in Louisiana where you actually do live.

This post was edited by epiphyticlvr on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 13:40

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 12:57

Well. then don't vote for him if he runs. Oh that's right, you don't live here so it isn't your problem anyway.

Perhaps instead of concerning yourself with NYC's local politics your time would be better spent concentrating on reforming the politics and the bevy of corrupt politicians in Louisiana where you actually do live.

You sure have a penchant for telling me how to spend my time when you don't like what I have to say.

Very telling that you had no response other than telling me how to spend my time.

When you suggest to our Canadian, British and other posters that do not reside in the United States that they stop posting about the United States I'll stop posting about New York.

How's that for you, Epi?

While you're at it, if you apply your own advice to yourself, then you'll keep quiet about the Gulf Shore and oil spills.

Really.

How ridiculous.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 12:57

You sure have a penchant for telling me how to spend my time when you don't like what I have to say.

Very telling that you had no response other than telling me how to spend my time.

When you suggest to our Canadian, British and other posters that do not reside in the United States that they stop posting about the United States I'll stop posting about New York.

How's that for you, Epi?

While you're at it, if you apply your own advice to yourself, then you'll keep quiet about the Gulf Shore and oil spills.

Really.

How ridiculous.

o

Who are you arguing with? No one on this forum is a Weiner fan.

Kate

o

No where did I tell you how to spend your time Demi. I merely suggested that your time would be better spent focusing on fixing what's broken in your own backyard and things that affect you directly instead of continually obsessing about this.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion about things that don't directly touch their lives including you. You have already stated your revulsion with Weiner many times over on many threads so no one has denied you anything. But I haven't seen anyone else have a bizarre fascination with anything like you seem to have with this story. It is hard to not notice that you seem to spend an inordinate amount of energy and time thinking and posting about it. An opinion is one thing, obsession is another.

Another of your fallacies. I gave my views on him and his behavior many times on the various threads about him and it hasn't changed. No need to repeat myself yet again until something new comes to light.

Many things that the US does directly affects people all over the world so it isn't surprising that posters who don't live here have strong feelings about the US and our actions and state them. They have every right, Besides, it is also important to hear opinions of those that don't live here to get different perspectives. Like you, they have a right to express their views.

Oil spills and other disasters have an effect on the environment as does big business and their lack of responsibility - all directly touch my life in various ways - so add this to the list of your false equivalencies. You had several on your post. Talk about ridiculous.

No one on this forum is a Weiner fan.

Nor has anyone approved on his behavior but Demi would have to actually read what other people post to know that.

o

Like you, they have a right to express their views.

Glad to hear it.

Hopefully, without unsolicited advice as to how they can better spend their time.

Like you like to give.

o

Epi: "Oh that's right, you don't live here so it isn't your problem anyway."

Hm. Let's review the OP:

Weiner may run for mayor of NYC! clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings
Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 5:17

"Would you vote for this slug if you could?"

All the threads are, of course, open to all comers. This one includes a specific invitation to the readers: would you vote for him IF YOU COULD.?" People like Demi and me and most everyone who posted on this thread, I imagine. Just sayin'.

o

. This one includes a specific invitation to the readers: would you vote for him IF YOU COULD.?" People like Demi and me and most everyone who posted on this thread, I imagine. Just sayin'.

KNKIA has weighed in. OK, since you brought it up where did Demi or you for that matter answer the question?

All I see is Demi continuing her obsession, After all that, since she has admitted to voting for people of questionable character in the past, who knows? And you, as usual, only posted the 3 N's -nonsense, nada,nothing - except about other posters...your usual m.o. So many posts so little never anything of substance or value.
Carry on.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr 10 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 22:56

So many posts so little never anything of substance or value.

Yea, I agree with that.

More posting about posters and not the subject.
Will that ever stop?

Apparently you don't believe what you just said--my posts had enough value for you to make a big deal out of them.

Sad.

o

You are just so deliciously rude; makes me chuckle, Epi.

"OK, since you brought it up where did Demi or you for that matter answer the question?"

Here you go: No; if I could vote for the slug, I wouldn't.

o

Take a wild guess.

This post was edited by demifloyd on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 23:37

o

Tuesday was National Hot Dog day. Jake's Wayback was giving you two hot dogs for the price of one!!!!

I hadn't had one in at least a year. YUK!!! One was bad. Two is just downright disgusting.

It's good that I'm reminded just how awful some things are.

Hay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here