Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The greatest general of the 20th century was...

Posted by tobr24u z6 RI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 5:19

Giap! You might think of Eisenhower, Zhukov, or Montgomery but according to one military historian it was Giap. General Giap fought off the Japanese, the French and us, and he did it with no formal military training and limited materials. So, I reluctantly salute him and I know that you will, too,..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The greatest general of the 20th century was...

He united Viet Nam threw out their colonial masters so they could make sneakers!
Kursk Zhukov hands down!

o

I would never have thought of Giap until reading "Victory at any Cost" by Cecil B. Curley. He makes a persuasive case for Giap that made me realize how most of my thinking is from a Western viewpoint...

o

Thanks for the book tip.

o

Eisenhower. He saved Europe from Hitler's madness.

o

Ike immediately comes to mind but I still think it is from the way we look at the world from a Western viewpoint...

o

Saving Europe was a far greater achievement.

o

Ike had tremendous material and manpower advantages that Giap never had...

o

Kursk was 1943 D Day wasn't till 44! While Overlord was important Germany was already being dismantled in the east Kursk & Kharkov,
Operation Uranus 1942, 210,000 Germans, 105,000 surrendered, 35,000 left by air and the remaining 60,000 died or committed suicide.
The Skies above Germany were already destroying the ability to produce for it's war machine
The Fire Bombing of Hamburg showed that in 1943.
With no disrespect to those who lost their lives during the Normandy invasion & the push into Germany after the battle of the Bulge it was a race to Berlin that had pretty much started in the East

o

Kharkov also had material and manpower. Giap had peasants and bicycles using the the Ho Chi Minh trail with an acute sense of how to overcome his enemy's overwhelming material advantages and highly trained manpower...

o

Why do they always give the credit to the generals? A people who will not be ruled cant be.

o

Along the same lines, we're 20 years out from the Rwandan genocide, at the link is an article of one of the heroes of that conflict.

April 2014 being the 100th anniversary of the start of WWI, the 100th anniversary of the Ludlow massacre in Colorado - pay miners with company script only useful to pay rent at the company town or buy from the company store, charge the miners for the supplies they use mining coal, and paid by the ton, weighed by the company with no labor witness. Ah, the good old days.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Without a doubt General Romeo Dallaire.

Not only did he do heroic work in Rwanda but he has pioneered efforts to understand and treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. A military leader, humanitarian, and respected Canadian Statesman.

His book, " Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda" is an incredible read.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lieutenant General Romeo Dallaire

o

I get it mighty mite kicks butt of France Japan & The US!
In land area slightly smaller than New Foundland your impressed the author is impressed. I may yet be,.
I'm alas entrenched with a Western mentality of large tank battles rather that hit & run guerrilla warfare.
Unfortunately we were also treated to North Vietnamese war films at the Old Bleecker Street Cinema on Friday nights before the midnight show.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 15:16

Well, that's not China, surely? Is there a people who will not be ruled? Aside from the Afghanis, of course, and excepting their own local warloards.

General Giap sounds like someone I want to read about. Without knowing squat about generals in general, though, I'd like to throw Generals Eisenhower's, MacArthur's, etc., boss, General George Marshall, into the ring. I have read about him, and he is very high on the American list.

o

The only general I've ever read about was Vinegar Joe Stilwell. I have seen others give high marks to Giap.

MacArthur led the attack against the Bonus Army in DC, with an assist from Patton, in 1932.

o

Nancy, was it Tuchman's book you read?

That's the one I read on General Stilwell, too, and as far as persistence goes in the light of an impossible assignment, I would have to give him the highest mark.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

o

Although Ike was not at the top of his class on tactics, he was picked because he could get along with people, note things that needed work. [ like the few and terrible cross national roads in~20s], and get things done.
There would be some prickly personalities and issues ahead, in Europe.

He had worked as a junior officer for both Gens. Pershing, and Marshall, who consistently gave him a superior rating.

Interesting to hear about others though, Leadership, kind of commands (; interest.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here