Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
whats on your bucket list?

Posted by youngquinn VIC Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 6:13

having just turned 60 last month I am in the process of formulating my bucket list. so I am interested to see what is top of YOUR lists....this may turn out to be a hot topic depending on the answers!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: whats on your bucket list?

Death by penuche...

o

I'm older than you and I don't have one.

I've learned, down the years, how pointless those things are, because circumstances change so fast and so completely. I don't set myself up to be disappointed any more if I can't do something.

I can't even retire.

o

Grandkids....but it doesn't appear to be on my kids bucket list!!!

o

Take a grand tour of European castles. Not just one or two, but an entire vacation package built around touring old castles and castle ruins for 3 or 4 weeks in countries across Europe.

And if part of it were a river cruise, that would perfect the package.

o

There are many, many things I would still like to do, but I do not have a bucket list. It's an odd concept - finishing what you wanted to do in life before you die. I like to think I did and am doing what I want to do.
And whatever I do, wherever I go, also means that I am not choosing any one of those two thousand other things that would interest me.
However, if anyone here is forming a bucket list, may I make a suggestion. Take the Canadian National from Toronto to Vancouver. I have done this twice now, and I'd do it in a pinch again. Leaving Toronto Thursday night, the train pulls into Vancouver Monday morning, just in time for one last luxurious breakfast before you deboard.
The food is scrumptious- freshly cooked using first grade ingredients. I was surprised by the farm fresh eggs. The scenery is magnificent (the train travels through the Rockies), the staff knowledgeable and accommodating and the passengers are an eclectic, fascinating bunch. The first time we travelled, I brought four carefully chosen books which I had hoarded for months, anticipating hours and hours of reading. I opened not a page.
The beds are very comfortable (we take a cabin) and it is hard not to have a wonderful sleep when you are rocked all night by the train. Any any time you awaken, you pull open the screen, and there is Canada passing by.
If anyone is interested, check out this website.
http://www.viarail.ca/en
The trip is quite expensive and worth every penny. However, there are constant seat sales and you can save as much as 75% if you travel that way.

o

Don't have one... I live life one day at a time, come what may.

I might be younger than Mom, but I completely understand the concept she expresses... and besides, there are no tomorrows promised.

Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed...

o

I develop my bucket list when I was in my 30s. That list got jumbled up but as it should be.....it is still a work in progress.

My biggest number one on my list was......

- Retire before SS old age and travel. So I could sit back in my old age and garden until it was time to return to the earth.

I wanted to travel and see every US state that interest me. My job handled that wish. I was forced to see some states that my job dictated I visit and as I thought those were ones I did not need to see or ever want to revisit. So when I retired early I know longer want to travel. That job cured that wish.

If you are looking for ideas. I liked this site and it was how I set my list up and add to the list as things come to me as something that will enrich my life.

Here is a link that might be useful: For the Bucket List

o

Left to truly face my mortality in my tender 20s, I learned very early on that what I really wanted to do was seek out those I loved and tell them, deeply and repeatedly, say I am sorry more than I needed to, and let go of the material things in my life. I am down to wishing I had a house and a good running car. But even those can't last. A tornado or flood or... can come along, and a life's worth of work is gone in an instant. I can almost let go of those wants, and then I'll be completely free.

o

Visit every baseball stadium (and adjoining city) in the U.S.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 10:17

No real bucket list here but I would like to travel to see 2 upcoming total solar eclipses that occur within the US in 2017 and 2024. But another concurrent bucket list item would be just to make it to 2024.

o

I have a girlfriend whose husband would join you redsox! He's just about gone to them all. They just came back from spring training, but the trip before took them to the northeast, at the end of the baseball season.

o

Posted by hamiltongardener CAN 6a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 8:01

Take a grand tour of European castles. Not just one or two, but an entire vacation package built around touring old castles and castle ruins for 3 or 4 weeks in countries across Europe.

And if part of it were a river cruise, that would perfect the package.

And you accused me of being opulent for taking a cross country train ride? :)

1. Enjoy living close to my 3 grandchildren. I'm doing that.

2. Visit my dad's family in Prague this year. We have plans in place.

3. Never quit working. I don't want to be retired. I wish to have a purpose for every day I have left to live.

o

In some measure the answer depends how much money one has in the bucket and how much time one has to devote to extracurricular activities prior to kicking it.
Some of us don't have enough of either to even bother assembling such a list.

o

Bingo! Heri wins the cupie doll!

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 11:35

Bhutan

o

Propagate and plant 400+ clematis vines and cover my deer fence, all around the property.

o

But heri why should you stop dreaming and striving for what you want? Without a dream or goal it seems like I would be just giving up. I will not accept final until I kick the bucket. I might be bloody and sore but they are going to know I was alive and lived to the fullest in the game fighting.

None of my dreams came true without a lot of pain and knock downs. I just considered my bucket list of wants to make me try doing things that might make them come true. My own little challenge myself list.

o

Visit every baseball stadium (and adjoining city) in the U.S.

Me too! Well, maybe not every one. I think I would follow my team around for the summer and see a game or two in each location and visit the local sites (if any). What fun that would be! Maybe when I retire, but no idea when that will be.

My more immediate plan is to hopefully go to spring training next year.

o

Ive never really had a life bucket list, probably more like a yearly bucket list. Maybe because our life was lived never knowing where we would be living in two years ( even as a child, being a military brat and loving it) I suppose that is why the idea seems foreign to me.

But if the budget permitted it, seeing those castles with Ham or making that Canadian train trip - now THOSE sound like glorious adventures to be in a bucket of plans, to me anyway!

Whenever we travel, the internet is so wonderful to have available. When stopping for the night, being able to lie together in bed and find out more about some unknown points of interest along the way and learn the background behind them - that is as much fun as it lends such a greater anticipatory flavor to what lies ahead. How handy with your castle tour, Ham! I would think that trying to find other remains that supported the castles would be fun, too. There was a television show from England that would take whatever remains there might be of an old castle ( sometimes just a rubble of stone or petrified wood) and recreate the entire town that was around it, gleaned from further remains.

I loved that show, it brought the everyday life of the people alive, which is my greatest interest in history - the everyday people and how they lived.

What a fun thread!

o

As much as I love to travel the only place that continually calls to me is Ireland. Maybe next Spring.

My other goal.... is that the same as a bucket list....is to hook a floral rug entirely from wool I have dyed myself. One that includes lots of subtle shading. I'm practicing one flower at a time....all I can say is the Good Lord better grant me a long life blessed with great eyesight and nimble fingers !!!

o

Many, many years ago, I took a trip, very much like Ninamarie's: An Amtrak package deal that let me go from coast to coast, up to Vancouver, and back with up to three stopovers along the somewhat circular route.

I loved it!! And I'm always eager to suggest something similar to anyone.

For all the reasons that Ninamarie suggested, but another reason that I stress, aside from the beautiful scenery, was that, when you weren't traveling through wide open beautiful countryside, you were getting a chance to look at people's backyards. Interesting perspective that you won't usually see.

I expect to do more traveling in the near future.

Every free moment of my life is now devoted to dancing and learning the skills involved in that. There's no doubt that I'll be doing more of that.

Travel and dance. Together.

Hay

o

I am also 60 and I don't know if this can be a bucket list item or not but I don't want to grow older and become infirmed or loose what mind I still have. I spend part of every day exercising and reading/doing crosswords and socializing to help stave off both of those conditions.

Failing that, I would love to spend a month exploring and living in Paris - my all time favourite city.

o

That sounds like an excellent plan, Hay, containing lots of fun for you!

How interesting Chase, unless someone trashes it, it I would love to see the pictures of failures and successes of your experiments - and progression of that rug over in conversations. But I guess that is an idea that has been ruined. It does sound fascinating!

o

Ok, ok, I have one! Own a small shop on the beach. Some sort of food. Just a small/tiny/itsy-bitsy kiosk kind fo place. Be open from 11-5 and the rest of the time goof off. ok, I stole it from a dear friend, but I love her idea!

o

survive

o

Bucket List:

--To play the Clara Schumann Concerto in A minor with an orchestra. I had an opportunity to play a Beethovan Concerto with the New Orleans Symphony when I was sixteen years old and declined because of the practice time and pressure.

I wish I hadn't declined.

--To travel to all 50 states.

--To travel to Australia/New Zealand, and Europe.

--To learn sign language.

--To learn French.

So--have I accomplished any of these?

--Well, no Schumann Concerto with an orchestra, but I did perform Mozart's Sonata in D for two pianos at a recital at the University of St. Thomas in Houston about fourteen years ago.

Here is a youtube of the performance of the piece--obviously not me, but I played the part that the young woman played--it's the Mozart piece often played to babies in utero because of the "Mozart Effect" that is supposed to improve spatial and math capabilites.

Mozart Sonata in D for two pianos

--I have managed to travel to all states but North Dakota, South Dakota, and Michigan. So 47 down.

--I've been to Europe three times, but not yet Australia or New Zealand.

--Sign Language--I managed to learn enough to communicate with a deaf client years ago that was perpetually getting DWIs.
She was a hoot. I noticed this spring a class in sign language but I already had plans to be out of town for over a third of the classes. Maybe I should look at an online course. I don't know why I always wanted to do this but felt I should since I was a teenager. Maybe there's a reason I am supposed to learn sign language, or maybe I was deaf in another life, or in a future life. ;)

--French? I took French one semester in college but could not attend lab as I had to work during those hours. I was able to understand enough and speak enough in France to do okay. I am considering purchasing Rocket French for myself this next Christmas--it has better reviews for learning by older adults.

So--I have made some half hearted stabs and had some incomplete successes at the bucket list.

Each day brings what it brings, so I don't plan on regretting anything. These days I seldom even buy green bananas.

My bucket list is these days that what my younger daughter said at her dad's funeral--his lessons in life he told her:

First, do no harm.
Second, leave the world better than you found it.
Third, if you hear the word ARM, run like he$$.

(Yes she said this in a church with 500 people).

o

And you accused me of being opulent for taking a cross country train ride? :)

Did I really? Must have been sarcasm... I've been cross country on a train several times.

I wonder if they even offer a "castle" themed tour package. Like I said, not just a couple of castles... something insane like 20 castles from Hungary to Scotland...

o

aw sh_.t, my bucket's full.

o

I retire every night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here