Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Media Matters Fights Unionization?

Posted by wakeandsmelltheTea none (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 7:34

The hypocrisy could not be more evident as reports indicate Media Matters for America is resisting efforts by Service Employees International Union Local 500 to unionize its employees.

Heck, next thing you know, they'll be asking them for a higher minimum wage.

Last week, the union filed a representation petition with the National Labor Relations Board, indicating that the nonprofit media watchdog organization rejected an effort by the union to organize MMFA's staff through a Card Check election.

The filing indicates that MMFA is not simply accepting Local 500 efforts in their regard. Meanwhile, MMFA has lawyered up and isn't talking, for now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Media Matters Fights Unionization?

So this is your very first post on your very first day? Hmmm.

o

No I was here yesterday and I answered some other threads.

Why? Are you the arbiter of who posts and who cannot?

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 11:20

Is there a link?

o

Media Matters let their employees vote for unionization with a secret ballot instead of …"allow[ing] its employees to organize through a card check campaign, in which a union submits signed petitions from employees expressing their interest to join the union."

So, see, they're not fighting unionization at all. They're doing it with a secret ballot instead of a 'card check campaign', what ever that is.

So, this 'story' is all over the wingnut sites, an example of the hysteria at the link where I found the quote.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

Mom, there are loads of links....use google.

welcome, wakeup.

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:27

If you want to post the outrage de jour, at least have the minimum courtesy to post a link.

If not, we'll just SOB

o

Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 13:35

Duplicate post

This post was edited by momj47 on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:49

o

I see a lot of people posting without links. Am I special?

o

No you are not special......

I think the "protocol" is that when expressing an opinion, thought , political position you most certainly would not be expected to post a link.

However, when one is posting a current event , news story or something they are quoting as fact...then it customary, and polite, to provide a source so that those reading can have the same point of reference as the poster.

You aren't required to but it is helpful if you really want to have some sort of discussion to have us all on the same page.....

I for one have no intention of spending my time trying to figure out specifically what you are talking about.

o

Google is scary for some.

o

It sure is, brush. And it makes those who flat out refuse to use it look like a whining child.

o

Your moniker says it all, Tea.

o

I use Google all the time. I am the last person to avoid using all the tools at my disposal to educate myself on matters.

..but I'll be darned if I will spend my time trying to figure out what the entire context is of some vague post.

You think you have a valid point then provide details and we can discuss .

o

Welcome, wake!

o

"Google is scary for some."

Apparently. So is fact checking. And admitting mistakes.

o

Within reason, I'll boldly go...

o

"•Posted by wakeandsmelltheTea none (My Page) on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 14:04

"I see a lot of people posting without links. Am I special?"

"Special." Why yes, you are. We're all special, and BTW welcome from me also. Thanks for the nudge, other posters, where are my manners? ;-)

Links are considered de rigueur, though if one appears to be of a certain ideological bent, most won't complain. For example, quite recently there was a thread "Shoes," for which there was not only a missing link, but no explanatory prose either. As you alluded, Wake, there are other examples.

Now for the "ideological bent" factor I mentioned above, Pidge here probably thinks you must like the Tea Party, which simply wouldn't do; conservatives must be kept at a minimum here:

•Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 15:43

"Your moniker says it all, Tea."

Of course I may have misinterpreted that, and I sure don't want to go down that path. My apologies if I got that wrong, Pidge.

The more the merrier, Wake. Honest Abe.

o

conservatives must be kept at a minimum here:

Is there a committee that decides a quota? Who "keeps them away"?

Based on today's threads it seems we need the high waders today. The muck is especially deep today.

o

You did not get it wrong, elvis. Conservatives are one thing, Tea Partiers are something else. I think Tea announced herself/himself very clearly with the moniker she/he chose--pretty much and “in your face” move, IMO.

o

Welcome TEA!!!

What's wrong with Tea party people?
What's wrong with reigning in an out of control government?
What's wrong with exposing graft and corruption in BOTH parties?
What's wrong with reminding people we have a document that is the "Supreme law of the land"?
What's wrong with reminding Washington that they answer to us, we don't answer to them?
What's wrong with reminding people we have 50 individual states with 50 differently worded Constitutions? And the STATES should do their jobs?
The STATES created the Federal Government, not the other way around.

Now, as far as the union thing, doesn't Media Matters wholly endorse card check legislation? They are on record wholly supporting the Employee Free Choice Act, which would make it easier for unions to organize through card check campaigns and prevent employers from forcing a secret ballot election.

Then why do they demand a secret ballot in their own workplace?

More "do as I say, not do as I do"?

o

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 7:23

You did not get it wrong, elvis. Conservatives are one thing, Tea Partiers are something else. I think Tea announced herself/himself very clearly with the moniker she/he chose--pretty much and “in your face” move, IMO.

"In your face?"

A name on an opinion forum?

This is a free country--there is no profanity, and the tea part7
interests are interests that many, many Americans share--less taxes, more government responsibility, less government interference, more states rights.

That's only a difference of opinion from some.

I hate to break it to you, but diversity is a good thing--diversity of opinion another.

I sincerely doubt, but don't know, that the poster was thinking of getting "in your face" when registering, but more likely identifying with their opinions.

Got to make it all about you, though.

o

"What's wrong with Tea party people? "

They pretty much seem to have one source for their information.

"What's wrong with reigning in an out of control government?"

Nothing, if that is what they are doing, but when they start to act persecuted and talking about abortion clinics I tend to roll my eyes.

"What's wrong with reminding people we have a document that is the "Supreme law of the land"? "

I think that everyone is well aware of that.

"What's wrong with reminding Washington that they answer to us, we don't answer to them? "

Again I am pretty sure that Washington knows that, but they just differ in the way that they believe that they "answer" to us. They are under the crazy idea that elections are the result of that answer.

"The STATES created the Federal Government, not the other way around."

The states also created Jim Crow laws and anti-sodomy laws. Left to their own devices that is the kind of trouble they can cause.

"Now, as far as the union thing, doesn't Media Matters wholly endorse card check legislation? They are on record wholly supporting the Employee Free Choice Act, which would make it easier for unions to organize through card check campaigns and prevent employers from forcing a secret ballot election."

Could you show me the endorsement for card check legislation? I could not find it. Could you also show me an example of them being against "secret ballot elections?"

o

"I hate to break it to you, but diversity is a good thing--diversity of opinion another."

They don't have diverse opinions though. They all share the same opinions. Having a discussion with them is like having a discussion with a talking points memo.

o

Having a discussion with them is like having a discussion with a talking points memo.

"Having a discussion with liberals is asking to be personally insulted because that's what they do instead of discussing a subject."

How do you like that generalization?

No different than yours.

o

"How do you like that generalization?"

If I thought that it was true I would be furiously outraged. I would go off on how I was being attacked for pages upon pages. However, since I know that it is untrue I would let it slide off my back with a smile and a thank you.

o

Chris,

I've spent as much time as I care to trying to find any facts that support what you say. If true, it would greatly change my opinion of this incident.

Given you stated it you must have heard it or read it somewhere......can you point me to the information please.

o

Frank, you would also be ROFL.

o

Can someone please explain the outrage because someone asks for a link? The OP talks about something they claim a corporation is doing. Are we supposed to just take the OP's word that that is what is happening?

And it makes those who flat out refuse to use it look like a whining child.

No, it doesn't. But, what the outrage over the request for a link does is make me think you're just trying to deflect from the fact that what the OP claims may not be completely accurate. If you found what you believe to be a link that supports the OP with facts, why don't you post it?

o

A card check requires 50% plus 1 to approve a union and a secret ballot requires only 30% to approve a union, I don't understand, nor does anyone on the right, evidently, what Media Matters is attempting to do here. We obviously don't know the whole story and I haven't found it on any of the right-wing web sites that are touting this.

One website linked to an NRLB facesheet that said a FOIA request had to be made to find out what was being litigated. I would think that if any of these websites had gotten the actual complaint from the NRLB, it would have been posted (and maybe it has been posted on a website but I don't have the time to read all those right-wing websites to see if it has been posted on one of them. It appears that only conjecture is fueling the outrage.

I'll wait until I actually know what the complaint is about. By actually, I mean reading the actual complaint that was filed.

But, I'll post some conjecture of my own. Maybe MM feels that a secret ballot, for some reason or other, is best. It's not objecting' to a union as 30% is less than 50% + 1. It seems pretty obvious that there will be a union with those numbers.

So, if anyone can publish the actual complaint so I can read it, I'd be grateful.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 17:03

A refreshingly responsible and substantive post in a situation where nothing is yet known, Dockside. Thanks. I just googled 6 screens of right-wing propaganda sites without coming on even one analysis from a reputable news source. Even AP hasn't reported.

Wake, the right wing spin machine works to influence the lowest intellects, or lack of them, and is already appallingly well parroted on this forum. I had hoped you would be able to elevate the discussion from the right out of the propaganda slough, at least a bit. Goodness knows it badly needs help.

o

Bumping to the top for Chris...

Chris, you may have missed my earlier post but I am serious when I say my attitude towards MM would change considerably if what you say is so....

Would you please point me in the direction of the information that leads you make the statements you made.

o

Chris, I am going to take from your lack of response that you in fact have no source or facts to back up your accusations with regards to MM.

Not good as far as credibility goes.

o

Chase, has Chris posted anything since you asked the question? Good chance he tore himself away for a bit. Posters do that from time to time.

o

"Chase, has Chris posted anything since you asked the question? "

She asked the question Saturday. So without looking it up I am going to say that he has posted since Saturday several times.

o

And he's posted since Chase bumped the thread to ask again on Monday afternoon.

But it does fit Christopher's pattern of running from a post when someone points out the falsehoods of his statements. As chase said, Not good as far as credibility goes.

o

Yes he has Elvis.....take a boo at the Elizabeth Warren thread. You really are no more credible than Chris when you don't do your homework....and shoot from the hip.

o

"Yes he has Elvis.....take a boo at the Elizabeth Warren thread. You really are no more credible than Chris when you don't do your homework....and shoot from the hip."

What is the matter with you? If I meant to make a point, I would have done just that, evidence and all. I suggest a reason a poster might not respond, and you post that. Talk about shooting from the hip...how about you jumping the gun? Yeesh.

o

Nice try........

o

Right back at you, Chase. If I was you I too would be embarrassed. That's fine. I'm done with you tonight; you've obviously got your knickers in a twist about something else.

o

I do not have my knickers in a twist........not at all.

I would never have made the comment I did without ensuring Chris had been on the forum and I suggest you would have been prudent to do the same.

I don't understand why you find it necessary to be so constantly "helpful" with your comments, criticism, grammar lessons etc... Especially when they do zero to contribute to the OP. It comes across to me as gratuitous and officious.

..........could you please make that done with me period!

This post was edited by chase on Wed, Apr 23, 14 at 8:35

o

Hi wake! Links are not required, but it helps. Especially, if we've missed a story. I've been known to miss a lot of stories. Welcome.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here