Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Freedom of speech

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 9:14

means what exactly? We often hear about freedom of speech being a cornerstone of democracy but how does it work in practice? "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." is the rallying cry. When we hear a controversial point of view or one we don't agree with it is an opportunity to examine it and/or challenge it, censoring or ignoring is not a democratic response.

Drones are used extensively in the tribal areas of Pakistan, Obama says that there has been very little collateral damage when he talks about it at all. A lawyer representing 80 civilians killed by US drones was denied entry to the US where he was due to attend a civil rights gathering. Partial freedom is an oxymoron.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Freedom of speech

We no longer have freedom of speech, contrary to the articles of the First Amendment. Government does limit expressions of speech and regulates assembly and limits protests, and controls media through licensing and other means of regulating content and operation. So the question is moot.

o

Let's kill... the Patriot Act.

o

A lawyer representing 80 civilians killed by US drones was denied entry to the US where he was due to attend a civil rights gathering.

I don't approve of this action by the Obama Administration, but there's a history of visa denials related to the political views of the applicant, and her/his ability to embarrass the current administration, Democratic or Republican. In other words, SOP for decades and decades. Ronald Reagan's State Department denied visas for anyone who could credibly oppose its Central America policy of support for death squads. Visas have been denied for Cuban artists coming to the U.S. to perform.

o

Nancy: he is suing the CIA on behalf of his (dead) clients, do you think that is politically motivated or is it that it will show Obama in a bad light, which IS political.

o

Ink, the CIA is to be protected at all costs - by Republican and Democratic administrations. If the lawyer were allowed entry, there would be political he11 to pay in this election year from the hawks who are against the withdrawal of troops in 2014. Plus I would imagine certain information might come out that would put the activities of the CIA/US military in an even worse light. That would cause problems here and in Pakistan with public opinion regarding the current occupation of Afghanistan and cooperation from the Pakistan military.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here