Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RINO Mitt

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 9:29

The Etch-A-Sketch Campaign has already begun...(from Janathan Chait):

Two constituencies that President Obama is holding onto about as strongly now as he did four years ago are voters under 30 and Latinos. In what is probably not a coincidence, these two constituencies are the targets for the first two major Mitt Romney Etch A Sketch pivots of the general election. After having repeatedly denounced any need for the federal government to subsidize tuition costs during the primary, Romney has now endorsed Obamas call for extending lower rates for federally-subsidized loans. Romney says he supports the measures "in part because of the extraordinarily poor conditions in the job market."

Apparently, he has been informed of the poor job market since wrapping up the nomination, when he was still advising graduates concerned about debt to acquire a high-paying job.
On immigration, Romney is making the turn a little more slowly, as youd expect, given the sensitivities involved in holding together his base. Romney has deputized Marco Rubio to craft "his" own version of the Dream Act, a somewhat more restrictive version of the reform that Republicans in Congress killed and Romney opposed in the primary, when he positioned himself on the partys right on immigration. Romney is "studying" Rubios bill.

Can all this really work? It is certainly remarkable how little ridicule or scrutiny Romney has attracted in his rather brazen reversals. In legal theory there exists something called a "libel-proof plaintiff," which is a figure of such low repute that he cannot claim any monetary damages for his reputation being smeared, on the premise that his reputation is tainted beyond repair. This seems to be the point Romney has reached on the question of consistency. The entire political world regards him as a pure creature of convenience. His supporters have simply calculated that Romney has boxed himself in to the point where he could not afford to betray them.
This position carries a great deal of costs, which Romney has borne through several election contests. Yet it does seem to have benefits, which Romney is currently enjoying. When your reputation for principled constituency has reached this low a point, you have nothing to lose. You can reverse yourself on pretty much anything as long as your allies are willing to accept it.

On the other hand, there are real limits to what you can accomplish by molding yourself to the preferred issue profile of whatever electorate you happen to be courting at the moment. Romneys old statements and positions are still out there. Democrats can run ads depicting Romney scolding college students for wanting lower tuition or praising Arizonas immigration laws. Romney isnt going to rebut those attacks by insisting hes completely abandoned those positions. He can simply emphasize his new positions, and create a kind of he said/she said debate, where he runs ads touting his new positions and Democrats run ads highlighting his old ones.

But the problem remains that young voters and Latinos who are leaning Democratic right now are doing so because they have developed an attachment to the party. These attachments dictate how a voter processes information and which candidates they believe. Over the last few election cycles, Democrats have completely given up on the idea of gun control, and have tried to persuade pro-gun voters to trust them. Its had a limited effect because those voters have grown accustomed over the years to identifying with the Republican Party.

Perhaps this explains why Romney isn't actually trying to get anybody to trust him, but to support his candidacy in purely transactional terms:
I think young voters in this country have to vote for me if they're really thinking of what's in the best interest of the country and what's in their personal best interest.
You may not believe Mitt Romney, you may not like Mitt Romney, but Mitt Romney is offering to match Obama's tuition deal and throw in the promise of a better economy. Romney thinks you should take the deal before he changes his mind.

Creeper...and it has only just begun. Come to think of it, he reminds me of John Edwards.

Here is a link that might be useful: ny mag

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RINO Mitt

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 11:32

"Romney isn't actually trying to get anybody to trust him, but to support his candidacy in purely transactional terms"

There is a certain "honesty" to Romney's pickthankic nature.
He is almost a caricature of what we all believe and expect a politician to be.
100% creature of politics with no discernible substance.

Anyone considering voting for him should check out who his shot-callers are very carefully. They are the ones who are actually running.

o

"You could say I've lost my belief in our politicians,
they all seem like game show hosts to me" -Sting, 'If I Ever Lose My Faith in You', 1993

Romney seems to be the living personification of this lyric.

"Well, I'm so sorry, Mr. and Mrs. Middle America, you've lost your Social Security, but thank you for playing, and as a consolation prize, we're sending you home with a year's worth of Rice-A-Roni."

o

I just wish there were something behind Door #3 to vote for.

o

I'm with you CP!

o

I think that's it in a nutshell... we need more choices. Not that I'm unhappy with the choices right now.

One is showing himself to be the most ridiculous of characters... re-serving the same old GOP Christmas fruitcake that has been the foundation for some time now... greed, more wealth for the wealthy, and nothing but a few crumbs for everyone else.

The other offers a quieter demeanor, but actually spends time working on ways to unravel the mess left behind by the last administration. People may joke about hope and change, but I'm happy with it. I'm intelligent enough to realize that the mess left cannot be fixed in one day.

And the others are either never mainstream enough, do not have the funding to promote themselves, or are out in left field somewhere... where the general public would never think of going.

I'm thinking Mitt speaks too soon thinking the young generation must vote for him... I'm not hearing that they want to through social networking channels. In fact, what I'm hearing is that a lot of people, from all generations, are up for voting for more hope and change.

o

RINO Mitt, flip flop Mitt, talk out of both sides of your mouth Mitt, what do you really believe Mitt,

Any and all of the above can be correctly attached to him, and now the real questions will arise, or maybe just the 2 following questions

1. Who does the Republican Party hate more, Mitt Romney or Barak Obama.

2. Who does the Right Wing Evangelical Christian GOP hate more? Mitt Romney or Barak Obama

Those 2 questions will determine how well Mitt Romney will do in the general election and what kind of chance he has to win.

IMHO

If the answers to those 2 questions are Barak Obama, then Mitt has a chance of winning over some of the independents and the White House.

If the answer is Mitt Romney, well then he doesn't stand much of a chance at all in the general election.

As for Mitt Romney being able to tell the truth about what he believes and where he stands on issues, he's just not capable of it, he twists with the wind on which way it is blowing.

He will say anything and do anything to get the particular crowd he is with to support him, and then proceed to the next crowd and say the total opposite to them.

He doesn't know what the truth is about himself, therefore he isn't able to tell the truth to the people.

He is the new "anointed one" of the GOP, they are about as enthused with him as they are with a "dead fish" so it should be a real interesting next several months.

Don't expect the Democrats to have much trouble unraveling the absurdities that have come out of the mouth of Romney over the years. Just watch the tapes of the, so called "debates" and they have all the fodder they will need.

It's going to be an interesting next several months.

o

I'm pretty sure the answer to both your questions, littleone, is Obama.

I agree it will not be difficult for the democrats to show that Mitt doesn't really have a position on anything. And I think Obama will do very well in debates with him. Mitt doesn't think well on his feet!

The problem I see is that Mitt is going to have so much more money than Obama. I think GOP affiliated Super PACS will raise a lot more money than Obama affiliated. Obama will probably raise more direct contributions but not enough to make up the difference. Therefore, Mitt's going to be able to run a lot more deceptive ads. And since we all know how well people can think for themselves (NOT!), that will help him.

o

2. Who does the Right Wing Evangelical Christian GOP hate more? Mitt Romney or Barak Obama

I am not sure about this one. I think the evangelicals are going to have a rough time with Mitt being a Mormon.

o

The people of America have the choices they have demanded from politicians. A third choice would be a combination of the two already available, IMO - would that be a better choice? I don't think so, only one who said a combo of words already said by the two.

The intent behind the words is what counts, who knows what the intentions may be - that is what happens after the election. Unless the congress just says no, then the intention can't be deciphered.

If Mittens wins, I wonder if he will also get the "just say no" response, and I wonder if the outrage will reach previously unexperienced outrageous porportions?

It's something I find my self pondering as find myself zoning out during Mitt's speeches.

o

A third option would be someone who sincerely represents all of the people who could find funding to enter into a competition where money wins. After winning he would need to surround himself with people with similar egalitarian views, limit the power of the money determined to bring him down and convince people that cooperation not corporation is the way to go.

o

• Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 13:50

A forth option would be to light a match and burn the whole stinking mess to the ground.

o

Posted by kwoods Cold z7 Long Is (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 13:50

A forth option would be to light a match and burn the whole stinking mess to the ground.

I would hope the Secret Service doesn't read that comment!
Seriously.

I suppose you should be grateful they're buying cheap hookers instead of doing their jobs.

o

Ink, if that is even possible to find that many patriotic politicians (if it were ever, in the history of the world, ever happened) I rather doubt it it could take place all at once with a single administration.

I think that only in degrees could we hope to find such a situation take evolve, and never expect really 95 - 100% success more than likely, and only in a country with united citizens who demanded it in unison, en masse. We U.S. citizens would have a whole heck of a lot of personal work to do before we ever could expect anything from our politicians - something I have always felt to be true. To expect our politicians to work hard at unity, to play fair, to put the best interests of all americans above the wealthy/powerful few - we have to start at ground zero as an individual - and I simply don't see that to be a likely event in my lifetime.

We are much too divided, stubborn and individually a selfish people. For those reasons I feel we got to this point in the first place.

For exactly that reason, I don't see a "happily ever after" for the people of our country for at the very least, the next 30 years, if in fact, within this century or under the name "The United States Of America".

The bunch of us here have to die off before there can be a prayer of a chance, of that I am certain. And maybe our offspring as well, if we had too much influence on them to see things through our own shaded, tunnel-visioned eyes.

Which I hope they don't, but if wishes were fishes........but changes perhaps in degrees, maybe their grandchildren or great grandchildren can reach for what it is we never made the attempt to reach.

History tends to prove that power is so corrupting, money is so corrupting - combine the both and it gets to be a pretty soulless landscape. Those few who have too much of either or both don't even realize how soulless they become, that is probably a huge part of the problem to begin with.

JMO

o

"We are too divided, stubborn, and individually a selfish people." You got that right. Until the American system of government can be changed fundamentally, drastically from within, I don't see much hope for us as a nation, for the future. So many changes would need to be made: get rid of the idea that corporations are people, get rid of the PACS, limit the war chests, install a "no-confidence" system like the UK has, change the fact that one must be incredibly rich to even consider running for president, install term limits, learn from other countrys' systems of government, and stop thinking we are superior..... I could go on and on.

o

Is the counterpart to a "RINO" a "DINO"?

o

So true, Kwoods. He doesn't even pretend to have the courage of his convictions.

Some Mitt flips highlights that I suspect he will re-set:

BEFORE
1) Abortion - Oct., 2002: While running for governor
of Massachusetts, Romney vowed to "preserve and protect" a woman's right to choose

2) Heath Care Mandate: Romney championed and signed into Massachusetts law, a mandate that forced all state residents to buy health insurance (individual mandate policy).

3) Gay Rights - In 1994, Mitt wrote a letter to the Log Cabin Republicans stating that he supported "gays and lesbians being able to serve openly and honestly" in the military.

4) Immigration - In 2005, Mitt stated that John
McCain's immirgration ideas (including a version of amnesty) were "reasonable".

5) Gun Control - In 1994, Mitt stated
that he was in favor of strong gun laws. He also distanced himself from the NRA, stating that he did not "line up with the NRA".

6) Campaign finance - In 1994,
Mitt was for spending limits on congressional elections. In 2002, Mitt was for
publlic financing of campaigns through a 10% tax on certain fundraising activities."

NOW
1) Abortion - Now, Romney says he is now "Pro Life"

2) Health Care Mandate - Now, Mitt still supports forcing Massachusetts residents to buy health insurance, but thinks the federal government does not have this power and he will repeal 'Obamacare' on day 1, through executive order.

3) Gay Rights - Now, Mitt says it was a mistake to get rid of 'don't ask, don't tell'.

4) Immigration - Now, Mitt rails against McCain's "amnesty plan" and in 2006 signed an agreement that allowed state troppers to round-up illegal immigrants.

5) Gun Control - Now, Mitt supports the NRA, became a member in 2006, and talks about the good work the NRA does in "supporting the right to bear arms".

6) Campaign finance - Now, Mitt is against the "McCain-Feingold" campaign finance bill, stating that it is an attack on free speech.

Elvis, conservative republicans coined the term RINO for moderates. So, no.

o

"Is the counterpart to a "RINO" a "DINO"?"

I have heard the DINO term, just not as often.

o

Thanks, Frank

o

Here's another to add to the list.

Romney already shifted his position on student loans, agreeing with Obama's push to extend federal interest rates at 3.4 percent after making the case in March that taxpayers should not subsidize loans at below-market rates. Rates are set to double to 6.8 percent in July.

o

Black vs. Mormon... (you know, that not Christian religion)... oh, my... will America ever survive it all?!

I'm sorry, but Mitt reminds me of a Ken doll... I wonder if it says Mattel across his backside?

If he doesn't think well on his feet, he'll either be spewing rehearsed talking points, or going off on tangents.

And if Obama comes up with the right answers, well... he can think on his feet, and I think even though not everyone will like what he has to say, they'll at least be able to understand it.

o

oh goodie, Elvis that makes it all even! Do you have a point to make?

o

RINO works as an acronym because there is another meaning, you know the animal with the horn that charges at things, although there is an aitch in there someplace that would screw it up, imagine if that 'h' stood for 'honest'. Republican (Honest)In Name Only. Actually it does work that way,

o

Mag: "Oh, goodie, Elvis that makes it all even! Do you have a point to make?"

Huh? About what? About if DINO is the counterpoint acronym to RINO? Well...it looks like Frank answered the question--is there more?

o

There are no DINOs. The party is so "big tent" that you can believe what you want to believe and still be a "real" Dem.

o

Really? Well, that doesn't seem fair somehow. So then there would be Republicans, RINOs, Conservatives, Libertarians, and Democrats. And probably a host of other small parties, I suppose.

But the Dems are the "big tent", aye? Good to know. :-)

o

I do remember Joe Lieberman being called a DINO.

PS Not to nitpick grammar, BUT
"But the Dems are the "big tent", AYE?"

Unless you are Scottish or a pirate (as someone once mentioned), I believe "eh" is the interjection that you are looking for.

o
RE: RINO Mitt, Aye?

No, it's "aye" (prononced "A" not "I"), trust me. Maybe somebody from the UP will chime in. The bumper stickers come from the other Michigan people (a/k/a the "Trolls" because they live beneath the bridge, but that's another story). Actually sometimes it's "hay?" but on this forum that could be confusing on account of our friend Hay.

"eh?" is more like a grunt.

o

It must be hard to be from the area and be SO wrong.

http://wikitravel.org/en/Upper_Peninsula#b

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eh

http://www.usaring.com/yooper/glossary.htm

o
RE: Never say DINO, Frank!

Sure, Frank. FRANKly, I don't give a titmouse's derriere. ;-)

It doesn't matter!

o

Whats the matter, Elvis? Don't like to be corrected?? Thanks, Frank. You're right.

Mitt will do himself in. The Dems don't need to run their own ads, just run before and after shots of Mitt and his entirely different stance on the issue. Should be fun.

o

What stance? Oh, you must the stance of the moment, Lily... or whatever is whispered in his ear, depending on where he is and what the subject matter is. ;-)

Could almost be Bush3 with Cheney2's hand up his backside working his mouth... even his name suggests something; I just haven't figured out what that is. Watch carefully to see who doesn't drink water while Mitt is talking.

o

lol Frank! I kept imagining a pirate with the patch and sword, aye!

o
RE:Uff da

Maybe it's argh.... Sept. 19th. is "Talk like a pirate day".

Thanks, frank il, nice to know someone reads posts from more than the "few". I remember being the one to ask elvis if h/she was a Scot or a pirate or a Scottish pirate.

o

Mittens a RINO ? Jimmy Carter seems to think so .

Here is a link that might be useful: Carter comfortable with Mitt

o

o

"""""""RINO works as an acronym because there is another meaning, you know the animal with the horn that charges at things, although there is an aitch in there someplace that would screw it up, imagine if that 'h' stood for 'honest'. Republican (Honest)In Name Only. Actually it does work that way,"

You mean like DINO works as an acronym because there is another meaning. DINO short for dinosaur........ having small brains and now extinct.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here