Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trusting the FBI - oh, swell.

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 19, 12 at 9:46

"The bombshell came at the most inopportune time.

An FBI special agent was testifying in the government's high-profile terrorism trial against Omar Abdel Rahman, the "blind sheik" suspected of plotting the first attack on the World Trade Center.

Frederic Whitehurst, a chemist and lawyer who worked in the FBI's crime lab, testified that he was told by his superiors to ignore findings that did not support the prosecution's theory of the bombing.

"There was a great deal of pressure put upon me to bias my interpretation," Whitehurst said in U.S. District Court in New York in 1995.

Even before the Internet, Whitehurst's extraordinary claim went viral. It turned out he had written or passed along scores of memos over the years warning of a lack of impartiality and scientific standards at the famed lab that did the forensic work after the World Trade Center attack and in other cases.

With the FBI under fire for its handling of the 1993 trade center attack, the Oklahoma City bombing and the O.J. Simpson murder case, officials had to act.

After the Justice Department's inspector general began a review of Whitehurst's claims, Attorney General Janet Reno and FBI Director Louis J. Freeh decided to launch a task force to dig through thousands of cases involving discredited agents, to ensure that "no defendant's right to a fair trial was jeopardized," as one FBI official promised at a congressional hearing. snip" end quote

This is the lead to a several page investigative report in yesterday's Washington Post, and goes on to expose the FBI of seriously messing up / making up / slanting their forensic reports on all kinds of crimes.

And how they send some incoherent form to people in prison, years later, which would at a minimum allow them a new trial.

Scoot over on the bench, Iran, we can fake evidence too.

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trusting the FBI - oh, swell.

David, I don't have time to read the entire article tonight, but I have it on very honest, first hand authority from ex law enforcement personnel that our justice system, from the very top on down to the very bottom, has more than its fair share of corruption, outright theft, ignoring of procedure, brutality, lies, coercion, and any other negative thing you could possibly imagine.

That's not to say that all law enforcement is guilty of being corrupt, but greed and fear of crossing those who are corrupt has turned our system of justice into a joke.

I shall endeavor to read the article first thing in the morning, and give my comments upon completion.

Justice, these days, is for sale to those with the money to pay for it, or the power and influence to get what they want.

o

I read the entire article. What the FBI did was despicable, but the actions of the DOJ are equally bad. There seems to be little concern for those who may have been wrongfully convicted on dubious FBI evidence.

Actions such as these were what Reverend Wright was condemning.

o

Ok... my first question is... how does one "negotiate" the limit and scope of a review? A department is being reviewed, period. Shouldn't the investigators go by the book? That would be like students negotiating the questions on a college exam!

My second question is... how can prosecutors deliberately keep information from the defense team. Isn't there some law requiring full disclosure? I believe there is.

Then, there's this line: "As long as the task force got the information, a participant said, it did not matter whether it was written down."

Um, excuse me, but aren't records... paper or electronic... important? The human mind cannot be relied upon as a fact file holder of important information.

Between the questionable forensics, destroyed records, refusal to disclose, excuse upon excuse, not to mention the passage of time in such investigations... I'd have to say that we should have a hard time believing anything told to us by anyone connected to the Justice Department, and that we, as citizens, better hope we either never get in trouble, or we have enough money to buy the best defense there is.

And this... this is most bothersome:

"After the 1993 World Trade Center attack, the key FBI witness "worked backward," tailoring his testimony to reach the result he wanted. Other agents "spruced up" notes for trial, altered reports without the author's permission or failed to document or confirm their findings."

Extremely bothersome, or troubling, in my opinion.

When I add up what I'm reading with what I've been personally told by very reliable ex law enforcement sources, plus our own experiences with the legal system, I am more certain than ever that justice is just out of reach for too many people... and that our Constitutional rights are being stomped into the ground by a system that believes it can make up its own rules as it goes along.

o

Law and order is for the little people, not the lawmakers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here