Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncle Ruslan

Posted by david52 z5CO (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:50

At the link is an article recounting the press Interview the the bombers' Uncle -

snip - “We are Muslims,” he answered clearly and steely-eyed. “We are Chechnyans. We are ethnic Chechnyans.”

Had the boys gotten radicalized, I wondered. The stories of so many - from Richard Reid, the “shoebomber,” to Faisal Shahzad, the alleged Time Square bomber--have included radicalization. The Boston area mosques haven’t been immune. “Do you think that they got radicalized in the mosques in that area?” I asked.

What I heard I couldn’t believe, I’ve become so used to the tactics of deflection. He looked me straight in the eye, and he said, “…most likely somebody radicalized them. But it’s not my brother, who just moved back to Russia, who spent his life bringing bread to their table, fixing cars, fixing cars.”

What happened when this Muslim American looked us in the eye and admitted the problem?

-snip-

The uncle stunned seasoned reporters, some of them veterans of the trials in Guantanamo Bay and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with his straight talk. First, he expressed his condolences to the victims of the Boston Marathon bombings and, then, declared loud and clear that his nephews brought “shame” on his family and the people of Chechnya, the family’s ethnicity: “Yes, of course, we’re ashamed. We’re ashamed. They’re children of my brother, who had little influence of them!”

snip - end quote

Worth reading

Here is a link that might be useful: link

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncle Ruslan

I think it's time to admit that beyond any one religion, there is a problem of extremism, of mixing religion with hatred and bigotry of other religions or other peoples.

The words "holy war" have always been a mind boggling combination. If religion is about loving thy neighbor, then why are people warring over who's religion is better, or trying to change everyone else around them without looking closely within?

Live... and let live.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 18:52

I read the article this morning, he's terrific. I saw the interview on Monday, he was certainly angry with his nephews.

o

If everyone was like this guy there would be little strife in the world. Also if boys could skip over being age 15-25 so they were less manipulable and impressionable.

o

Please hand him over to his uncle. My guess is he would receive fitting punishment.

o

who is warring over religion, Muslim and???

o

Too bad uncle didn't have more influence on the killers. I kinda sensed their father was more subdued than the mother.

o

There have been "holy wars" throughout history, fancifowl... that's what I meant.

Instead of denying we have social issues, regardless the culture, we have to pay more attention to family, to teaching our youth, to giving them good examples to live by.

It seems to me that much of today's youth are raising themselves, or being taught through peer group examples, not always so good. It's a time when youth needs direction and examples... through family, and not through those who would corrupt them.

I don't really have the right words to explain what I mean right now... it's too early for me...

I hear this Uncle, though, I think... and I agree.

If I understand it right, it's not about religion... it's about attitude and anger, and about teaching values... real values... about loving thy neighbor and helping them, and admitting our problems and mistakes...

We have the same problems here... we have gangs, we have misguided youth... there's little respect for one another...

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 6:51

From the link: "And there was his color too"

.....yes there was certainly that, and if the bombers had been from the middle east, I am also sure the response to the uncle in some quarters would be entirely different and since I haven't bothered to look may very well be the case.

But it sure does help "uncle" that ya' look like us ....

o

If I understand it right, it's not about religion... it's about attitude and anger, and about teaching values... real values... about loving thy neighbor and helping them, and admitting our problems and mistakes...

Yea...and about human dignity...and...that every human being should be acknowledged as an inherently valuable member of the human community and as a unique expression of life,

That kind of living leaves no room for jealousy, suspicion, hatred...and...but here we are two centuries+ as a country and we have steadily reversed the original ideals of this great nation...we should weep, not wave a flag.

o

"If everyone was like this guy there would be little strife in the world. Also if boys could skip over being age 15-25 so they were less manipulable and impressionable."

Agreed. The most dangerous animals are adolescent males (and I consider people adolescents until at least age 23). Impressionable personalities, combined with large doses of testosterone and a malleable, warped moral code, create volatile and dangerous people.

I like Uncle Ruslan. I saw his interview. He should run for office. Ok, that might be over the top, but he is a straight shooter.

o

The uncle is the role-model the boys should have followed. I saw an interview with the boys' parents on TV and the mother was blaming "America" for not keeping her children safe. As if they were corrupted here in the USA and not when the eldest returned to Russia.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here