Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to win

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 10:51

David Brooks has an interesting column on Capitalism that is well worth a read you will have to read it to understand what this means

Everybody worries about American competitiveness. That may be the wrong problem. The future of the country will probably be determined by how well Americans can succeed at being monopolists.

Here is a link that might be useful: creative monoploy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to win

Very well explained. Nice change of pace--thanks for sharing this, Ink.

I'm for it.

o

I agree, I enjoyed that.

Think about the traits that creative people possess. Creative people don't follow the crowds; they seek out the blank spots on the map. Creative people wander through faraway and forgotten traditions and then integrate marginal perspectives back to the mainstream. Instead of being fastest around the tracks everybody knows, creative people move adaptively through wildernesses nobody knows.

Doing something different, not more of the same. That's where the truly good ideas come from.

And he is spot on with this:

I see this in politics all the time. Candidates enter politics wanting to be authentic and change things. But once the candidates enter the campaign, they stop focusing on how to be change-agents. They and their staff spend all their time focusing on beating the other guy. They hone the skills of one-upsmanship. They get engulfed in a tit-for-tat competition to win the news cycle. Instead of being new and authentic, they become artificial mirror opposites of their opponents. Instead of providing the value voters want - change - they become canned tacticians, hoping to eke out a slight win over the other side.

More good points at Ink's link.

o

The actual course notes that this opinion piece is based on - linked in the article - are an even better read.

Here is a link that might be useful: link to course summary

o

At some point, some people realize that changing their trajectory a bit will get them exactly where they want to be.

Take my son, as an example... he was top in everything through middle and high school, pulling all the awards, etc... but once in college, decided to angle a bit differently and simply reach for the goal he most wanted. He didn't compete as hard for awards, extras, or things like being valedictorian. He went for career placement and knowledge. And he got exactly what he wanted.

To my own mind, the competition for material possessions, or money, or fame... these are all inconsequential. Even though I got a lot of things I didn't bargain for, I did complete my goals. I found in life exactly what I wanted.

Humans are too competitive by far... that's how I see it. If we would slow down a bit and take a moment to reach out to help another every once in a while, we might be in the midst of a better society.

To me, it's money and the competition for it that has ruined humanity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here