Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
GMO anti-labeling law

Posted by purpleinopp 8b AL (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 12:18

It's H.R. 4432, given the newspeak name of 'Safe and Accurate Food Labeling Act,' an irony of converseness that's up there with any in recorded history. The actual purpose of it is to prevent states from passing legislation that would require GMO ingredients to be disclosed on labels.

Obviously this is much easier than defeating referendums in all 50 states. The one in CA cost $45 million to defeat - supposedly a much lower cost (to consumers!) than if the legislation had passed.

The argument for it is that it will "protect consumers by eliminating confusion and advancing food safety."

"It prevents a mishmash of labeling standards." The state-by-state approach is only necessary since FDA/Monsanto refuses to listen to the 93% of Americans who think they have the right to know what they are eating and require the labeling they want at federal level, like most other countries.

Those interested in doing so can sign a petition against it here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: GMO anti-labeling law

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 12:28

Here's the text if you'd like to read it for yourself

I don't know if it's good or bad or what the implications or consequences will be if it is passed

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

Did you read it?

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 12:41

No, I did not, I'm home with a bad cold today, I don't read heavy stuff like that when I have a cold!! :)

o

The food producers say it can't be done. But they do it in Europe.

But, see, in Europe, all those hippies don't want GM food, so there is far less of it on the shelves.

o

Sorry you're not feeling well!

As far as legislation goes, it's pretty simple. Here's the meat'n'potatoes of it, which took about 2 minutes to get to from the top.
First:
``(a) In General.--A bioengineered organism shall not be introduced
or delivered for introduction into interstate commerce for a food use
or application unless--
``(1) the use or application of the bioengineered organism
in food has been addressed by the developer of the
bioengineered organism in a premarket biotechnology
notification, to which the Secretary has responded under
subsection (d)(2)(A) by stating no objections...

So, if the FDA says it's OK, it's OK. They have no history of being wrong, we should all trust them completely.

Second:
``(e) Labeling.--If the Secretary determines that there is a
material difference between a food produced from, containing, or
consisting of a bioengineered organism and its comparable marketed food
and that disclosure of such difference is necessary to protect health
and safety or to prevent the label or labeling of such food from being
false or misleading, the Secretary may, in a response under subsection
(d)(2)(A), specify labeling that would adequately inform consumers of
such material difference. The use of bioengineering does not, by
itself, constitute a material difference.

So, if they say it's the same thing, it doesn't need a label. So, the difference visible via microscope is technically a difference, yet everyone else should consider them identical.... 'cuz it's pretty heavy stuff and the public could get confused.

If GMO's are so great, those who want more should be able to easily find them. Right? Where's the contingent of folks seeking GMO's? Anyone, anywhere?

o

Several years ago, a Cornell University study showed that GMO corn, bred to produce a toxin which protects it against corn pests, also kills monarch butterfly larvae via its pollen. Monarchs are already in huge decline due to habitat destruction and garden pesticides. We used to get swarms here in TX every year, now they have dwindled to a few sightings every once in a while.

Corn and soybean seeds are coated with neonicotinoid insecticides prior to planting. According to research, this could be a big contributor to the decline in honey bees. And even if it isn't, more than 90% of the seed coating insecticide stays in the soil for well over a decade, killing both pests and beneficial insects.

I don't understand why agribusinesses are so disinterested in the health of the environment. If bees and other pollinating insects were to disappear, it would have a very detrimental effect on humans and other animals, so why even risk it?

o

It's cheaper to run an anti-GMO labeling campaign on the federal level than in a number of individual states. Monsanto (and others) spent a bucket of money to make sure California's GMO labeling initiative was defeated. However, the margin of defeat wasn't enough to eliminate fear of another initiative appearing on the ballot and passing.

So much for the states'-rights and personal responsibility crowd; we are not be trusted to decide for ourselves if we want information about GMOs so we can exercise more personal responsibility for our food choices.

o

The first of the year I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which is usually a genetic disease. No one in my family has ever had it and I have been eating wheat forever and now, after over 70 years, it shows up? Last year I rarely had a "good" day which led to me going to a gastroenterologist in December. The day after I cut out gluten, I felt like a new person. I'll never go back to eating any wheat altho' I feel very deprived, at times, as gluten-free breads are truly awful.

I firmly believe that the way crops are now engineered has had something to do with my celiac problem. Mainly, because when I was in France last year for a month, I ate baguettes and croissants daily and it didn't bother me at all. France prohibits food tainted with GMOs so the wheat there is probably more like what I ate as a younger person.

Washington state had a referendum last year calling for labeling foods with GMOs. The antis spent 21 million dollars against the referendum, saying it would raise the cost of food. It was defeated, even tho' people favored it at first - until the misleading TV ads came out.

Celiac disease now affects 1 in 100 people. 20 years ago, it was 1 in 2,500. Something has certainly changed and I strongly believe it is environmental if nothing else.

o

On a doctors' suggestion, I tried the gluten-free diet - same thing, two days later, I felt better than I had in years, swollen lymph nodes disappeared, etc.

After a few weeks, ate something with wheat, and sure noticed the difference.

Try Udi's gluten free bread, in the freezer section. The America's Test Kitchen Gluten Free Cookbook is worth reading, I've so far tried their take on English muffins and its pretty good, it has recommendations on the best commercial choices for pasta, bread, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: gluten free cookbook

o

Hiya PURP!!

Nice to see you here!

Yaknow,I can just imagine five minutes after a law like that passes,they'd be feeding us Styrofoam or worse.

I LIKE knowing what's in the stuff I eat.
PLEASE confuse me with labels.

We have the internet to give us clues to the identities of those mysterious ingredients,but nooooooooooo...lawmakers wouldn't like us to see them poisoning the well,right?

The heck goes through their minds???

o

Gluten Free living is the way to go. It's not difficult to do and the health benefits are huge.

We're gluten free because my granddaughter has Celiac disease and a compromised immune system caused by Dupq15. She's perfectly safe when visiting us.

Gluten free doesn't mean you have to give up good foods, instead you have to give up foods that are bad for you.

Good for you, David. Enjoy feeling better.

If you enjoy hot breakfast cereals, try Red Hill Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal. It's my daily breakfast.

Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal contains brown rice, corn, buckwheat, and sorghum. This gluten free cereal is a delightful way to get your energy level up and going and keep it there all day long.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 20:44

Campaign support from special interests goes through their minds.

I confess to an addiction to pasta. Perhaps unfortunately it doesn't make me ill, but a couple days without and I also notice positive physical differences. I really need to get serious about this.

Not that it matters for this issue. Labeling should give people all information they care about. Wish writing to my ALEC-affiliated congessman would accomplish anything at all. As it is, I'm reduced to hoping all he wants is lots of money.

o

David, I buy Udi's bread at Trader Joes. $5 for a 16 oz loaf. It's ok toasted with melted butter. However, I used a couple of slices (50 cents each) for a bread/mushroom/onion/celery/giblet dressing for a roast chicken. The bread totally disintegrated and ended up as tiny pieces of white grain resembling white sand. Awful.

I have spent over $75 on different "flours" to try to make yeast bread or rolls that are edible. Haven't found a recipe nor "flour" that has resulted in a product that was worth the time and expense. So, I have just resigned myself to not eating good bread, rolls, etc. However, I now make a killer banana bread with almond meal ($8 a pound) - but that's a quick bread, not a yeast bread.

o

I can do without breads.

Rosie, try the gluten free pasta made by Mueller's.
Avoid the Italian firm Barilla, for obvious reasons.

Most sauces are naturally gluten free.

o

Dockside, these gluten-free breads have a distinct sticker shock. I just finished a loaf of that Udi's bread, and all of it was toasted, buttered, and jellied. I'm not sure if I'll get another, might try a loaf of the ATK-formula bread.

I don't mind quinoa pasta, that ATK cookbook recommends Jovial brown rice spaghetti.

Thanks, Brushwork, for the hot breakfast cereal tip - I'll give it a try.

What I miss are big burrito shells, because I'm addicted to wraps. I've tried brown rice burrito shells - while they're good on their own, it doesn't make much of a burrito shell because you have to warm them to become pliable. Then they cool, and they're even stiffer than before.

o

David,

Try Smart & Delicious.

We order direct and share a case with my daughter.

Here is a link that might be useful: La Tortilla Factory

o

Wonderful - one case, the shipping was 50% of the order (Yikes!). With 2 cases, free shipping. My chest freezers have the room - they better be good because I ordered two cases :-)

o

Dave, you might try the millet bread from Deland bakery in FL - they ship. It is far and away the best I have had. They make bagels also.

There is a strong case to be made that wheat has been bred out of tolerance for a large proportion of the population over the past 30 years or so, or maybe even less. We never had any problem for years either. In conjunction with the fact that we have way less ability to digest stuff over time (aging) it's a perfect storm of wheat intolerance.

o

I don't have gluten intolerance or celiac disease, but I've never liked bread much. I started baking bread a year ago and while it tasted pretty good, it was still bread. Then I got some Bob's Red Mill gluten free all-purpose baking flour with the intention of baking gluten free bread. I never got around to trying the recipe. Instead I replaced a little less than half the wheat flour with the gluten free mix. The bread tastes great, a huge improvement over all wheat flour, or even wheat & oat, and it rose just fine. The last batch I made was with gluten free, spelt, and regular wheat flour. I didn't use as much gluten free flour so it doesn't taste as good, but is way reduced gluten that rose just fine. BRM makes other gluten free mixes. I'd like to try the hot cereal some time.

Natures Path makes my favorite gluten free cold cereal - Mesa Sunrise - http://shop.naturespath.com/Mesa-Sunrise-Flakes/p/NPA-779001&c=NaturesPath@ColdCereals

We tried 1 loaf of Udi's. Got in on sale. It was fine untoasted with peanut butter.

Here is a link that might be useful: gluten free - BRM

o

Thanks, Pat - the shipping is prohibitive, but I can get millet flour easily and I'll try a loaf.

That Bobs Red Mill gluten-free flour is largely garbanzo bean flour. Which is great, but it has to be thoroughly cooked or the result tastes like raw beans.

o

I leave the bread in the oven an etra 5 minutes to make sure the beans are well cooked.

Garbanzo bean flour is called gram flour in East India. Lots of Indian packaged crunchy snacks are made with gram flour.

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 10:13

Interesting how many are on top of this issue. Brushworks, thanks for the suggestion. I'll try Muellers (and do usually buy Barilla :). Higher prices on stuff we should eat less of is actually helping DH and me. They say a proper portion of pasta is about the diameter of a quarter, but the critical decision is always made in front of the pot of boiling water. :)

Althea, I'm not a bread baker, or like you much of an eater, but every once in a while I'll throw together a quick "5-minute" artisan loaf, so thanks for the tip. When I do eat bread I want great flavor or what's the point?

o

There are plans afoot to grow rice around here this coming season, so some chance of eating local rice this winter, which would be pretty cool. Four or five varieties of grain maize are going now, and a stone mill will be installed by summer. Sufficiency on maize meal is relatively simple - the small grains are another story. Millet qualifies as a very small grain, I guess, while amaranth and quinoa are teeny grains. However these latter three are very tolerant of poor ground and are probably a good deal more healthful.

Nevertheless, there is considerable interest in heirloom wheats here, a number of cultivars are in the ground, despite no way to harvest other than thrashing into a trashcan or a tarp in the driveway.

o

They say a proper portion of pasta is about the diameter of a quarter,

Ha...try digging a post hole on that!

Nature's Path is awesome! I eat the Sunrise Crunchy Maple and Sunrise Crunch Vanilla cold cereals for snack foods.

Mom's Best also makes a few good cereals. Crispy Cocoa Rice is the only GF offering, and at $2 for a large box, it's a great value.

o

It's my understanding that GMO wheat is not really a big commercial venture at this juncture; maybe my information is wrong. Rather, it's been suggested by some that the hybridized wheat used today has a much higher gluten concentration than what we are accustomed to eating. This little snippet from an article about whole grains offers an alternative:

"We were intrigued in mid-2009 when research documented that celiac disease, an immune system reaction to gluten, has increased four-fold in the past half-century. We covered the research in an earlier blog, but the question still left on the table was, “Why has celiac disease increased so hugely?”

We set out to find the answers, by combing through scientific research, and came across some interesting information that may fill in the holes ��" and may give hope to the estimated 1-3% of people who cannot digest gluten properly.

A little background first, before we share our research trove with you. Research shows that celiac disease and gluten sensitivity are distinct problems, and in fact there may be two main types of Celiac Disease. Gluten is a protein that’s found in wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a wheat / rye hybrid). It’s only found in these four grains ��" so people who have celiac disease or are otherwise gluten-intolerant still have plenty of great choices of whole grains to enjoy. Gluten-free does not mean whole grain-free!"

-snip-"Try the Old Ways of Making Bread

"... how you make your bread may affect its gluten levels, too. Throughout most of mankind’s history, bread was made using a sourdough process based on lacto-fermentation. The process was slow, and results were uneven, so when modern yeast became available, sourdough breads became less common.

Now research shows us that lacto-fermentation of wheat has the potential to drastically reduce gluten levels. We found three studies along these lines. Our favorite study showed that sourdough bread produced with a particular strain of lacto-bacilli had gluten levels of 12 parts per million ��" where anything under 20 ppm is considered gluten-free. Bread made with the same wheat but without lacto-fermentation had gluten levels of 75,000 ppm."

Here is a link that might be useful: Sour Dough Breads

o

Bakers love gluten, so that has been driving the quest for ever higher-protein wheat, along with characteristics that improve milling at large scale. Other qualities of wheat do not receive the same attention, similar to how commercial tomato varieties are bred for appearance and packability, not flavor. Strange as it seems to those who care about flavor and digestibility.

o

Elvis I have a friend with either celiac disease or gluten intolerance, and she can't even have teriaki sauce because of the small amount of gluten. While reducing the gluten with fermentation is a good idea, those who can't have any at all still wouldn't be able to eat it.

o

"While reducing the gluten with fermentation is a good idea, those who can't have any at all still wouldn't be able to eat it."

Of course. I suspect the gluten-free fad has little to do with folks like your friend, from what I read they are a very small percentage of the population. I'm thinking of the large amounts of people with minimal symptoms who might benefit from the information rather than spend exorbitant amounts of money of the gluten free products. Someone is exploiting the heck out of this trend. That market must be doing very, very well.

o

I have a friend whose Celiac condition is so severe that he cannot eat packaged nuts that have been coated with gluten-containing flour. As a child in Ireland, he almost died from his morning bowl of oatmeal. Oats do contain the amino acids that combine with processing to form some of the 5 or more kinds of gluten.

Gluten intolerance is rare in Asia and Africa but much more common among peoples of Mediterranean and European origins, perhaps as high as 15% of those populations. Additional populations of those with some degree of allergic reactions respond to low-gluten diets in noticeable and positive ways.

Yes, there may be a food fad in the works but one supported by waves of better health and welfare, not all due to a placebo effect of eating low-gluten diets.

o

It is trendy as all get-out, I agree, but it's a fad that is likely to become a status quo.

o

I known for more than 40 years that I had a negative reaction to wheat products, learning later in life about gluten and how it trigger auto-immune responses in the intestines. I had an aunt who suffered from irritable bowel syndrome and heartburn/stomach ulcers for years, treating herself with Mallox and large quantities of milk and bread. She later found she had an intolerance for both and so was aggravating her digestive system for years.

I still eat wheat products but try to limit them, unlike in my middle years when a big bowl of pasta was comfort food for me.

o

I can't imagine why anyone would eat the trash which passes for gluten-free bread unless they had no choice. I certainly miss eating crusty French and Italian bread and croissants, good, flaky pie crusts and biscuits, popovers, etc. Not that I ate a lot of that, but I certainly liked eating baked goods made with wheat. There is no good substitute, IMO. Cooking without wheat is no problem as I susbstitute corn starch or another GF product for thickening. But, good baked items just don't come from GF "flour"

o

Dockside--if you have not already tried them, look for Mary's Gone Crackers, organic wheat free, gluten free crackers made from brown rice, quinoa, flax seeds and sesame seeds.

I like crunch but also avoid wheat products and sugar, except for an occasional special splurge.

These crackers also have no hydrogenated oils or transfats and are quite tasty.

o

Brown rice soba noodles are a decent substitute for spaghetti noodles - not the same thing as all, but they hold up to a good tomato or Alfredo sauce pretty well.

o

Demi, I have bought Mary's crackers. They are quite good. I also buy rice crax from Trader Joes. And, for "pasta" I use the thin rice noodles which aren't bad and they have the same "mouth feel" as wheat spaghetti. I'm fine with everything but yeast breads and a few other bread-type items. I'm trying a recipe, sent to me by Udi's, for hot cross buns, which I mixed up this afternoon and will bake tomorrow morning, made with a different mix of flour. The dough has to sit in the fridge overnight. I keep hoping, but, so far, have always been disappointed in any yeast bread I have baked. I feel like Charlie kicking the football in Peanuts.

In addition to the gluten problems, I can't tolerate the casein in cow's milk. But I can eat butter, whipping cream (no casein in them) and some cheese so don't feel much deprived in that regard as there are decent substitutes for milk.

I really do think that my gluten problem stems from the wheat grown in the U.S. (which was explored in Elvis' link above) as I ate, with no problems, wheat products in France for a whole month and felt great the whole time I was there (except for the day after I ate raclette at our friends' house - but I have now eaten raclette and was appreciative of the opportunity to eat it).

o

Brushworks, I received my order of those gluten-free tortillas.

They're a little stiff, but I figured out that if I microwave one for 20 seconds, it softens it up nicely, and they stay soft long enough to make a wrap and eat it. This is a good thing.

Just snorked down a ginger-marinated, smoked shredded pork, dill bean pickle, and lettuce wrap for lunch …..

o

...so it sounds like most here, if not all, would like to know what's in their food, to more accurately choose exactly what they need/want - which has great variety from person to person.

This article about Vermont passing a law requiring GMO labeling has some good details about this issue in general.

"“BASF believes that any law requiring the labeling of foods that contain GMO ingredients creates extra costs for farmers, food manufacturers, distributors, grocers, and consumers,” BASF spokeswoman Fran Castle said"

I never heard any such comments when federal food label requirements were changed a couple years ago to include more nutritional info. But even if this was true, they supposedly find the cost of *this* just too much for consumers to bear? And strictly under the umbrella of protecting the public, they will spend millions (which they are definitely incorporating into the prices already) to defeat it.

"The Chipotle Mexican Grill Inc. (NYSE:CMG) restaurant chain is quickly transitioning to all non-GMO ingredients, and Whole Foods Market Inc. (NYSE:WFM) has committed to being fully transparent about GMOs, including adopting new plan to label any products that contain bioengineered ingredients accordingly."

If this wasn't generating a profit, they wouldn't be doing it.

"However, bioengineering firms say the concerns are overblown and based on faux science, and they point to studies that counter the narrative that GMOs are harmful to human health."

IOW, without *PROOF* of some particular harm, it's definitely safe enough that people don't even need to know they're eating it. ...because if they knew they were eating it, when, how much, they could document the results...

"Prochnow said. "Whether you want them to be labeled so people know what they’re eating, I guess that’s fine, but they’re here to stay,” he said. “It’s just a question of whether people want to know what’s in there, and it depends on what information you want to believe.”"

So... wouldn't those who champion GMOs wouldn't want to be able to find them more easily? Why aren't they expecting profits to go up as people get all excited about the vast number of products with GMO ingredients? Has anyone found that guy or gal who's trying to incorporate more GMOs into their diet? The person having trouble finding enough products with GMO ingredients? Sure would like to hear from that contingent, if only it existed... I'm actually shocked one hasn't been fabricated, for the positive spin. Spin doesn't ever just happen, it's always created. Seems to me like the obvious thing to do, unless you're in a blind panic and not thinking clearly. ...or maybe you've tried and nobody is willing to be the face of the folks who want, are seeking GMO foods.

Every time I see what some rich person is eating on TV, it's never been in a package. Not even to set a good example for the huddled masses they're so easily exploiting. Mommy can eat the spoon of cold mushy peas to show baby how gooood it is, but chowing down on the stuff they're peddling is too scary even for these rich chemical guys.

Obviously they know sales will go down since most people don't want to eat this stuff. Their reasons shouldn't need justification, and deserve more than to be swept under the rug of profits reaped via omission and deception.

In areas where there are no progressive stores like Whole Foods, no farmers markets, or really anything but WM and tiny mom'n'pop stores with the same stuff, choosing something else is not practical. Also, the mindset of farmers around here is not organic, should they decide to have a market. It would be the same produce that they have at the grocery, though likely with UNprofessionally applied, UNknown chemical treatments. Anyway, it would not be possible to sustain life with the few products that would not have this new info, and the small portion of the public who reads labels would soon realize nearly everything in their cart has GMOs.

Yes, if you are concerned about such things and have choices of stores at which to shop with organics and other options, you can avoid them. If you don't have the availability of such options, you can eat GMOs, the harvest of a home garden, not much else.

Frustratingly though, I don't know why they're so scared. If the majority of people were concerned and reading the labels, there would be more uproar about so many products that no longer contain the main ingredient, which has been replaced by corn in some form, usually high fructose corn syrup. For 20 years, the main ingredient has been missing from many packages but these products are increasing in number. Do most people not notice the difference? When labels only had ingredients listed in order of quantity, it was a really different list. But the same brands, same products, same labels, don't seem to provoke much curiosity, or backlash if so.

In case anyone hadn't noticed, a diet of nothing but untainted food is much more expensive. So much of the population doesn't have the financial ability to choose other brands or stores, where available.

Anyway, the article linked above is the most recent news I could find on this topic. What's going on with HR 4432?

o

Absolutely! We have a right to know what's in our food source, how it was produced and processed, and exactly how nutritious it is.

With all the chemical cats that have been let out of the bag over previous decades, and how and why they were allowed out of the bag, it's no surprise that some manufacturers are a little squeamish about allowing the public access to what they've done... or what they intend to do.

But if I'm paying money for something, I should have every right to know how it was produced, what it contains, and what its value is, nutritionally speaking.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here