Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally! NBC fires one Zimmerman-gate producer

Posted by nikoleta (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 12:24

George Zimmerman is still in hiding, thanks in part to a deliberately misleading "edit" of his 911 call to police. The good news is that the person responsible for misleading NBC's viewers has been fired. Better late than never. Hope his name comes out soon so he can get all the "recognition" he deserves for his deliberately misleading "work." There's more good news. It wasn't the lazy liberals working for the MSM that caught the smear and held NBC accountable. It was Breibart.com and Newsbusters.com doing the job the MSM used to do.

FTA: "Brian Stelter of The New York Times credits NewsBusters.org for being the first to catch NBC's edit. He provides a link to this NewsBusters post dated March 30. However, the NewsBusters story is actually based on, and links back to, a story published here at Breitbart.com two days earlier. In that story, author Dan Riehl highlighted the edit to the Zimmerman 911 tape as it appeared in print at MSNBC. The MSNBC story was originally published March 21st, six days before the same edit was used in the Today show broadcast.

Yesterday, a Reuters story credited both Breitbart.com and NewsBusters for bringing the problem to the attention of NBC executives.

It is likely that, if not for conservative new media, the misleading edit, which inflamed racial tensions in the Martin case, and which was repeated by Stetler's own New York Times, would have gone unnoticed and uncorrected. As it is, the producer responsible for the edit at Today has been fired, but the individual who made the same edit to the earlier MSNBC story (since corrected) has not been identified or disciplined. Nor has anyone at any other outlet or network -- many of which made similar selective editing choices -- been punished."

A second producer still has some explaining to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Breitbart is Here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally! NBC fires one Zimmerman-gate producer

Wow, if we had photos of the lynch mob here at HT, we could photoshop them into that pic at the end of the link. I'm glad to hear more voices of reason on this topic. Thanks for link, Nik.

o

That the masters of manipulation should be the ones to spot this ommision is not so surprising when you think about it-a sort of what would I do moment. I have noticed in the past when they got caught out massively manipulating taped material no one was fired or even reprimanded.

I have to say that all things considered, I doubt that the whole furror was in any way really affected by the leaving out of the one sentence-but they ought not to have done it. It doesnt change Zimmermans assumption that the kid was up to no good or what happened after-I mean the shoving of the whole thing under a rug. Since I formed my opinion before I heard the tape I know it didn't affect me. I just want to see a real investigation and that ghastly law changed as a result so this wont happen again.

o

Lynch mob? Some of you righties are really clueless when it comes to racial isssues. The only misrepresentation of Zimmerman's actual words happened when his first mouthpiece Joe Oliver stated that Zimmerman said "f-ing goons" rather than 'f-ing coons" and now his PR people say that he said 'f-ing punks'.
Breitbart is a racist website. You have a lot of nerve calling us the "HT lynch mob" and suggesting that we be placed into that picture.

You and other breitbart tbaggers are in denial about the existence of racial intolerance that exists in this country and the racial profiling that occurs every day. The attempt to disprove that reality through this one case is a joke.

There isn't one person here who believes Zimmerman is guilty simply because he may have been a racist. Similarly, his nuetrality about racial issues does not absolve him from responsibility. His father threw this up as a defense and as a partisan issue even suggesting that the President was a hater. What nerve.

Racial profiling may very well have caused him to pursue Trayvon with a weapon. Regardless of his motive, Zim made the decision to disregard and disrespect police direction to not pursue, never told police that he was armed, and then went after him an enter into an armed altercation, That calls his claim of self defense into question.
The decision to acquit him before trial stems from the factv that he apparently lost his altercation with Tray and got punched in the nose, which he deserved.

This guy never told Tray that police were on the way, that he had a weapon. He just got angry about getting the crap kicked out of him and decided to kill. That's not self defense.

o

How many times has Zimmerman followed a white guy, and the cops asked "is he white, black or hispanic?"

Has Zimmerman every answered, "He's a white guy"

o

Do we need gun rights extended to the point where self appointed armed vigilantes like Zimmerman take to the streets to confront people and kill them if those who are confronted dare to fight back?

o

Good for them but hello? wow...there is more consequence for editing a tape than for killing Trayvon Martin.

o

You're holding up breitbart as paragons of virtue in race relations? This brietbart.com?

Here is a link that might be useful: Racism unfettered

o

Thats the same brietbart with the edited video jobs on Acorn?

o

Can't be that NBC was so wrong for what they did Nik...your "source" disqualifies everything. The leftist media never screws up or slants their news, protests tomorrow to get his job back.

o

Nonsense ...everyone agrees that NBC blew it...everyone!

o

Yes, they blew it.

But I do find it ironic that the source cited for the info was Brietbart, whose famous antics with grossly editing video for political purposes - ACORN and Shirley Sherrod.

o

I respectully disagree, Chase. The news about the bad actions of NBC isn't news to anyone here, and there's still a whole lot of deflection going on. Scroll thru the thread which addresses this issue (you know the one), and you'll find plenty of examples, which basically say, "yeah, so what?"

I'm glad to hear you get it :)

o

Again I say nonsense, make it what you will. Nobody is saying this was AOK....it's the way Nik goes about making her partisan points that rankles...not the issue itself.

o
Rankled

I think you're meant to be rankled. You gotta admit, Nik doesn't engage in personal insults (neither do you), doesn't go on and on about her personal woes, doesn't give us TMI about personal hygiene matters, doesn't do a lot of the irritating things some do here (me included). And she's not insufferably boring (there's a lot of that too).

This is a discussion, right?

o
)))Finally! NBC fires one Zimmerman-gate producer

wrong....

o

I have wondered just how one would go about editing something like this. You have only a certain amount of time to fill. So, do you...

just crop out all the unneeded words?
or snip out a phrase or two?

How many phrases would be the right length, time wise?

Is it possible that this segment was snipped because it was the right length?

Maybe it was an accident....Maybe not. Anyway...we have certainly made it important. I'll bet the news networks will be more careful in the future.

o

Agnespuffin, I can easily imagine that scenario. According to the New York Times, "The people with direct knowledge of the firing characterized the misleading edit as a mistake, not a purposeful act."

Especially since other nbc outlets played the tape entirely. It was the Today show segment that left it out.

Shameful this has turned into a gotcha political argument. I am sure the same angry racists would be "siding" with the victim if the races were reversed and it was an unarmed white teenager dead at the hands of a grown black man that followed him against police dispatch orders.

o
Zimmerman-gate indeedy

Talk about editing.
How about Zimmerman's father being present when his 28 yr.ld son was questioned at the police station after he was taken into remporary custody for questioning. Then, after a comfortable evening talking to his father, georgie porgie appeared at the crime scene the next day, with able legal representation fro the Judge Zimmerman, to reenact his version of events.
How much credibility can be given to anything from Zimmerman after he was coached up by his father, a former local magistrate/judge?
He knew excatly what to say to avoid being charged with manslaughter. Oh yea right, Tray went for his gun and told him he was going to die. Surely that is why Zimmerman was crying for help and then decided to wrestle his gun away from Tray and immediately shoot him in the chest.

Here is a link that might be useful: Questions About The Role Of George Zimmermans Fathe

o

C'mon, Heri...

I should HOPE his father gave him advice, legal or just loving.

o

Yea, loving legal advice about how to avoid being charged with manslaughter.

The NRA and the gun lobby has to love this Stand Your Ground law.
Now you can carry a weapon and basically shoot to kill anyone you want with impunity as long as no one sees you do it. This really expands Second Amendment rights into a right to bear arms and kill whoever you want. Just make sure they are dead so that no one can refute your claim to self defense.

o

The lynch mob comment again? A troll, a leash jerker, a practiced dog whistler? Or just ignorant? Maybe all four? I can't tell yet.

o

Was just asking myself that this morning, KT. I see glimmers of all 4, plus an ugly soupcon of subterranean maliciousness.

o

"Can't be that NBC was so wrong for what they did Nik...your "source" disqualifies everything."

Hahahahahaha, MRSK!

Do you remember disgraced NY Democrat Anthony Weiner's hilarious story about how pictures of his crotch got sent from his cell phone to women he didn't know?

Weiner said Breitbart "hacked" his account...and the liberals here actually fell it!

Maddie had the REAL story, by golly. Breitbart was GUILTY! Technical "experts" were going to announce their "findings" any minute! Weiner was going to "nail Breitbart's arse to the wall!!!"

But then Weiner admitted he had lied all along.

Weiner had to resign after admitting he had been feeding Maddie and company BS from the get-go. They were suckered by a guy with a narrative they liked.

Andrew Breitbart died a few weeks ago. But "Breitbart" is still here, and taking apart another narrative liberals like. This is a good thing. Breitbart has already shown part of the MSM narrative was falsified. There may be more.

o

Ah, the well-articulated, well-defined, organized and factual rebuttal we've all come to expect and admire.

o

Somehow I doubt any of us on the left is missing Breitbart. One less hate monger among us.

o

"Somehow I doubt any of us on the left is missing Breitbart. One less hate monger among us."

Because Breitbart was way ahead of the MSM and the loyal liberals here, Anthony Weiner did not get away with lying to his constituents or the American people. The only "arse nailed to the wall" belonged to Weiner.

Because Breitbart is still here through his media organization, the truth will come out about Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman. There will be justice, in spite of NBC's false narrative. That's one arse Breitbart has already nailed to the wall.

We'll just have to be patient until the investigation is completed. Not on an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson timetable, but on the prosecutor's timetable. That folks would want it any other way makes clear that justice isn't at the top of everybody's list, where it belongs.

o

Excuse me....Anthony Weiner...really, Nik, really? And what was Weiner "nailed" to the wall for? Did he kill someone? A child?....what did he do besides tweet a dic pic anyway. Horrors.

o

Maggie, that term was borrowing from a comment by Maddieathome, who was more vocal than usual about the "lies" about Weiner and what would happen to those "lying" about him.

Except they weren't lies, and the only thing "nailed" was Weiner himself, and his blind and arrogant defenders.

o

"Excuse me....Anthony Weiner...really, Nik, really? And what was Weiner "nailed" to the wall for? Did he kill someone? A child?....what did he do besides tweet a dic pic anyway. Horrors."

Maggie, I'm so sorry you have no memory of the event. Weiner conned his Democrat supporters for several days. After which he resigned in disgrace.

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 21:23

"I love Weiner! (Anthony) Seriously. Elly - no worries and Rep. Weiner and his congressional staff...uh hem...will be just fine."

Posted by maddie_athome (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 12:38

"Weiner can nail Breitfart's arse to the wall, and hopefully will do so. While he's at it, he should also take out "this kid is my hero" O'Keefe. Maybe we will finally get to know who ordered the invasion of Landrieu's office; and why Vitter bent over backwards to keep the new State Attorney from taking office."

Weiner conned his supporters without even breaking a sweat. More evidence linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Weinergate thread

o

pathetic to the max

o

I agree, maggie 2094. Wiener was pathetic.

o

And I agree also Elvis, pathetic.

Said so at the time, not everyone liberal here thought that Wiener was unfairly targeted and caught and judged. Some here forget that.

Wiener was a public figure, that is the price one pays when they behave badly and get caught, deny it and still get caught in the denial. Like many before him, the lie was probably more damaging to him.

Kinda like Breitbart himself.

Breitbart was in this for himself to make himself a name and a living, not doing a public service.....

and when he couldn't find anything good enough to keep him in business, he OFTEN created it.

Lets not forget how disgusting and disgraceful that behavior is, either. He was worse than his accused because he kept on doing it even after he got caught. And lied when caught. And how many continue to believe his lies to this day? Because they WANT to believe his lies?

No wonder when he was the source, it was hard for many to believe him. His history demanded an examination of whatever he claimed was truth or fact.

But that never made Weiner one bit less guilty or accountable, not to me. You game the public, you suffer the consequences and he did - with his job and his dignity.

However, he was great at his job and I think he will eventually make a comeback. People who do a good job often get forgiven by the American public. He did a good job, according to the majority who voted for him - and they are what counts.

o

"pathetic to the max

Maggie, I don't understand. First you seemed to have no memory of Weinergate, which wasn't that long ago. I jogged your memory. Now you say "something" you have not identified is "pathetic." What or whom are you referring to? I thought your response last year, once you accepted that Weiner was a liar, was admirable.

Posted by maggie2094 Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 17:02

"Deeply disappointed, I really thought he was better than this and not because he is a democrat, because I really believed in him, the person."

Posted by nikoleta Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 17:59

""...I really believed in him, the person."

Maggie, It might make you feel better to go back and re-read this thread from the beginning. Almost everybody fell for Weiner's story.

Some invested a lot more time than you did defending him. There were folks who repeatedly insisted he was hacked...even though it never made sense that he wouldn't call in the FBI to catch the hacker.

His defenders insisted it wasn't a picture of HIS crotch. They insisted he didn't send it. They insisted there was some "technical" explanation, AKA the baffle them with bullspit defense. Maddie was sure it was all a set up. Breitbart was behind it. Breitbart was going to get his arse nailed to the wall. And on and on.

My hat is off to you for admitting you made a mistake. And to him for finally fessing up and taking full responsibility. Better late than never. He did the right thing. Hope he can work everything out with his wife now."

o

I love this one, maybe this will refresh some memories:

Posted by maggie2094 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 8:05

He didn't do it Mrskjun. I agree with Chase. He is addressing it completely honestly. The photo was tweeting and removed immediately when he saw it, the girl doesn't know him and she actually never saw the tweet. So how did it become a story then? The pic was immediately removed by him while he was doing an interview and saw it pop up. He handles his own account. His facebook was hacked the week before. He said he won't say for sure if the pic is his because it could be manipulated and he doesn't want to further aggravate the situation. Your always right there to make the false equalivancy. This is not comparable t foot tapping in a men's bathroom known for hook ups.

I don't say this about many politicians and people for that matter but Rep. Weiner is true blue imo.

DUPED!

o

wow...you got me...thank you. This explains everything and how low-effort conservative thinking works.

o

For the record, I wasn't going to expand but I will say this.

Nik, you make the comment you jogged my memory as if I was pretending to not remehmber "Weinergate". I have no problem with seeing my words quote here and hahaha "duped" as Demi says...um no.

I thought the thread was about the nbc producer and the Zimmerman found it strange but typical you went where you went.

I am 100% good with everything I said and have 100% memory of it.

Beyond pathetic. Really truly sad and effed up...to the max.

o

Why are you two going after Maggie on this? What has it got to do with anything that she, along with many of us, first bought Weiner's story and latter found out he was a total jacka$$. If you want to think Briebart is a saint, go ahead, but that doesn't mean the rest of hold that opinion.

I don't do the "ya but" thing however if I did I'm sure I could find examples to do a nanananabooboo post but then I would be acting like you...no thanks.

and yes I know it's the libs that taught you how to act this way....

o

Posted by maggie2094 Thu, Apr 12, 12 at 13:00

"Nik, you make the comment you jogged my memory as if I was pretending to not remehmber "Weinergate"."

Hi Maggie. The person posting these questions didn't know what happened to Weiner. If you didn't post them, you might want to find out who did:

Posted by maggie2094 Tue, Apr 10, 12 at 19:02

"Excuse me....Anthony Weiner...really, Nik, really? And what was Weiner "nailed" to the wall for? Did he kill someone? A child?....what did he do besides tweet a dic pic anyway. Horrors."

Chase, I am the OP for this thread. I did not steer the discussion away from the fired NBC producer, caught misleading the public with his edited 911 tape. Liberals did. Go back and see how they did it.

Our resident libs wanted to talk about (attack) my source, Breitbart. I simply obliged them, reminding them that what they "thought" they knew last year about Breitbart and Anthony Weiner, and what they really knew were two different things. They got it wrong. Being rude and nasty to conservatives didn't make them right.

Nobody is "after" anybody. I'm simply reminding folks who have been incredibly rude and intolerant of other opinions, they are as fallible as the rest of us. These people professed to have superior knowledge and insight. But they had no such thing. They trusted the wrong guy so much that he had to CONFESS before they believed he was a liar. These people are in no position to lecture anybody about Breitbart as a source. He was doing the job the MSM should have done. By exposing journalistic malpractice at ABC and NBC, Breitbart's organization continues to report on things the MSM should have caught, but didn't.

o

Nik, since you are "the op" and are suggesting we go back and read...maybe you should do the same. I never once mentioned your source...in fact I never even clicked your link since I was aware of the story. That said Breithart exist only to "catch a librul" and no real journalism operates with an agenda and narrative to squeeze a story into...

In fact I said "good". There was consqueence. I got angry when Weiner was thrown out there because it is easier you to deflect...and yes like I said previously and you quoted here, I was devasted at that whole case. But in the end, I learned something and said so but at the end of the day what if Breithart hand't been stalking Weiner looking for a gotcha...what if he never published the dic pic...what does it matter? Isn't that invasion of privacy and big journalism (well yes that is what he calls it)? It really wasn't our business and he broke no laws...but with the rancor t the time, I was on the side of him resigning. I have since changed my view as I don't think his constieunts are better served.

Of course, none of this has to do with this producer, who could have done this solely for time and not purposely. Either way, he paid the price. Breithart never paid the price for the Sherrod smear amongst other gutter "journalism".

o

"I never once mentioned your source..."

Nor did I say you did.

"I got angry when Weiner was thrown out there because it is easier you to deflect..."

Who were you angry with? I wanted to talk about the fired NBC producer. Your friends wanted to talk about my source, Breitbart. So we did. Weiner goes where Breitbart goes.

"But in the end, I learned something and said so but at the end of the day what if Breithart hand't been stalking Weiner looking for a gotcha."

What if the MSM had done its job? Breitbart would have had nothing to report.

People care about an elected 40-something married man sending pictures of his boner to young women he has never met. While you and the MSM worried about an invasion of HIS privacy, Americans were appalled at his treatment of those young women and his pregnant wife.

Thanks for sharing that you will support Anthony Weiner in the future.

o

"This guy never told Tray that police were on the way, that he had a weapon. He just got angry about getting the crap kicked out of him and decided to kill. That's not self defense."

And heri knows this to be fact because . . .

o

Nik, if you think that by twisitng and turning around what people say gives you a "score" than good for you. If is apparent to anyone who reads here that you have only one goal.

It is a waste of time. My children are more open minded and can debate issues better than many on this board.

It is either the low effort thinking or people are being paid to promote an agenda. It is funny if a "liberal" was to use your same tactics there would be 100 threads on nonense as there is so much ammunition out there on conservatives today.

I truly wish true conservatives would come out and play again instead of this constant havig to have an enemy or boogeyman.

o

""I got angry when Weiner was thrown out there because it is easier you to deflect..."

Who were you angry with?

o

Your ridiculous. Your only goal is to make a librul look bad...you do nothing to solve real issues or discuss anything that would be in a problem solving manner. You exist in a world where one side is all good and one all bad, a land of rinos and lies. Nobody defended the producer on this thread, but the point remains that nobody knows if this was an innocent mistake. The fact that other NBC outlets aired it in it's entirety and this was one segment on the Today show makes me believe it was just that. Holding Breithart up as a model of journalism desserves to be riduclued. One second on that site makes me feel dirty. It is amazing to me that the right wing holds up random bloggers in their underwear up against papers like the New York Times that have hundreds of reporters and dozens of buereaus throughout the world. If it weren't for those outlets, bloggers would have nothing to report on....sadly we are close to coming to that.

I get angry because it is people like you that have/are ruining our country for your petty one-upmanship.

It is ugly.

o

"...but the point remains that nobody knows if this was an innocent mistake."

NBC fired him without cause?

"Holding Breithart up as a model of journalism desserves to be riduclued."

Works for me!

I always enjoy a look back at Weinergate.

o

the producer made a mistake and got fired - why don't you read NBC's statement saying they believe it was not done intentionally. oh sorry that would involve the fadts.

o

Funny what entertains some, what they enjoy......especially when it involves ridicule.

o

Mag: "NBC's statement that they BELIEVE it wa not done intentionally." (emphasis added via CAPS) "Oh sorry that would involve the fadts (sic)."

Hmmm. NBC said they believe; therefore Mag believes. Mag, that's just as dangerous as believing that Fox News is fair and balanced. You gotta be careful about taking the news as factual. You must know it's all slanted. Just like the political discussions here on HT.

Like October's comment to Heri (above). Does Heri believe he heard this on the news "he just got angry and decided to kill..."? or is this Heri's opinion? Heri didn't say...

o

"...but the point remains that nobody knows if this was an innocent mistake."

NBC does.

Posted by maggie2094 Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 16:11

"...why don't you read NBC's statement saying they believe it was not done intentionally."

He was fired for making a mistake?

o

"He was fired for making a mistake?"

Happens all the time as anyone who has worked in private enterprise knows. The issue is the consequence to the company as a result of the mistake and/or the consequence to the company for not taking action against the employ responsible for the mistake.

o

"The issue is the consequence to the company as a result of the mistake and/or the consequence to the company for not taking action against the employ responsible for the mistake."

I agree. Until NBC faced the threat of "consequences" it continued to air the misleading tape and kept the producer on the payroll.

o

Nik, I'll leave you with the last word. I know that makes you smile......makes me smile too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here