Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A day of statistics

Posted by inkognito (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 4, 12 at 14:19

So what about these figures?

In the past two decades, the money that states spend on prisons has risen at six times the rate of spending on higher education. In 2011, California spent $9.6 billion on prisons, versus $5.7 billion on higher education. Since 1980, California has built one college campus; it's built 21 prisons. The state spends $8,667 per student per year. It spends about $50,000 per inmate per year.

Here is a link that might be useful: war on drugs

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A day of statistics

Just a little off topic here..

We are building a great new prison. Big problem just came up. In all the hullabaloo in getting funding for the project, they forgot to add in the cost of staffing the new facility.

Guess what!!! There's no money in the tax pot to pay the salaries.

o

A little known piece of trivia... the USA has more people imprisoned than any other country in the world... many on what would be termed minor infractions.

o

I heard that on the news the other day but to clarify it was more than any other democratic country and as a percent to population.

Of real interest was the number in prison due to minor drug infractions like the possession of marijuana. The cost to the taxpayer is huge!

Possession for personal use has been decriminalized in Canada for years...and we still seem to be managing a civil society. Heck even Pat Robertson says its time to legalize marijuana.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pat Robertson on drugs

o

For once I agree with Pat Robertson. The USA still has a streak of horror about Sin. If it's fun, then it must be sinful.

One of my sons pointed out the advantage of pot over booze. Fewer people vomited and messed up the place at a party when there was pot instead of booze.

o

Agnes, not only that, but as long as the munchies hold out, they'll be more likely to stay there to crash, rather than drive home.
Warning: generalization. In my youthful days, pot smokers were gentle souls who never created violence or mayhem. Next morning, they went to work.

o

The differences between alcohol and marijuana are astounding. The list of differences only begins with the above... it ends with marijuana actually serving several purposes within the field of medicine, as well.

I really thought pot would be legalized by now, or certainly decriminalized.

"Reefer Madness" was NOT a documentary! Good grief!

I wonder what the death toll of each as a contributing factor set side by side would look like?

o

We now have more people locked up in this country than Stalin had in his gulags...

o

The mind absolutely boggles when one thinks of the cost of the incarcerations both in dollars and the impact on society.

However, it seems our Conservative PM and government would like to see us grow our jails in a fashion similar to the States with his "Tough on Crime" policies :(

o

With Colorado's laws re revenue restrictions, they are closing prisons and letting the least violent out on parole.

When push comes to shove, keeping taxes really low outweighs being tough on crime.

o

I think, though, David, that all depends on what the crime is... too many people are serving sentences for non-violent crimes. And we already know the personal responsibility crowd isn't gonna kick in a tax dime extra... so... what's a state to do?

o

Privatize!!! Build expensive prisons, forget to bond up for running them, lease them out cheaply to private companies running prisons. If that doesn't work out too well, send prisoners to other States to serve out their terms. Heck we do that with Charter Schools. Not shipping, of course, our young 'uns out of State.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here