Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basketball player announces he's gay

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:35

Jason Collins says he's gay. What an historic moment for major league sports.

National Basketball Association center Jason Collins on Monday became the first male professional athlete in a major US team sport to reveal that he is gay.

Here is a link that might be useful: source

This post was edited by esh_ga on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 14:35

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basketball player announces he's gay

Good for him. Hope others will follow.

o

Good for him! I'm a baseball fan not a basketball fan but good for him!
There was a lot of Venom out there on the right today over this.

(Breitbart waste product)

Matt Barber (Vice President of Liberty (what a joke) University.

It's a big deal because turds like this still make it a big deal!

This post was edited by labrea on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 18:01

o

What a great role model and very courageous! He will help a lot kids.

Really disgusting, Labrea. Ugh leave them on the wrong side of history. Some people are gay...dassit get over it people!

Listen to this little girl...

Here is a link that might be useful: Worry bout Yourself!

o

ESPN sportscaster Chris Broussard need to announce he wasn't a Christian after this.
Is it like when Kareem stopped being Lou Alcindor (whats your point as a sportscaster) accept to heap rebuke according top your personal; moral code.
I wonder does he eat pork?
The crap people come up with.

I once got a "male & Female he created them" uttered at me.
I figured it being a word game I responded with "Bee Boppa Lou that's my baby"
I never made it to the Leviticus Bonus Round!

o

And then there is the other side.
"It took only 10 minutes from the time Sports Illustrated posted Jason Collins’s essay, in which he came out as gay, for one of his N.B.A. brethren to offer him encouragement and support on Twitter"

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

As mrsk indicates, there will be plenty of folks who support Coliins. The world has changed.

o
RE: Pres says good for you

Even the president supports Collins. The world really has changed.

o

Yep that is a good day to be alive and making a living at what you love!

o

sigh... I will be satisfied on the day when it is no longer necessary(??) or surprising or even worthy of announcement that anyone is gay or straight or lesbian or bi or anything else except to a potential sex partner. It is something that has always existed and being offended by it is as reasonable as being offended by left-handedness.

o

Yes, sleepless, that will be a great day! however, it won't be a day you and I see in our lifetimes. Today's Kids who are 14 and under will be adults in 20 yrs . They won't be talking about it. But part of the reason they won't is because people 40 and older are going thru the struggle/transition now. And that's the waychange happens.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 20:27

Left handed, left leaning, left for dead... see: all lefties! Fight 'em at every turn!!

Athlete Confirms Interest in Balls - Details at 11

o

Unfortunately, when Justin Fashanu, a UK footballer, announced his sexual orientation, it did not lead to a floodswell of brave footballers - far from it in fact - Career ended in tragedy (suicide in 1998) while his own brother, John Fashanu, actually rebutted Justin's claim to gayness, having publicly (and cowardly) denounced him). Despite campaigning against homophobia in sports, there is clearly a long way to go since the entire football league is apparently still 100% hetero.

So, respect!

o

So much respect.

Although I know this took a great deal of courage, Im sure there will be prices he will have to pay because there always are. But the world has come far since that terrible reaction to the football player Camp told us about, and even then the world had move forward.
A lot of terrible tragedies have had to happen for Collins to be able to make this announce and regard his safety to be most likely a non issue in spite of the announcement. These days his straight friends would publicly stand by him and be outraged and possibly act on their outrage if some neanderthal tried to hurl insults or throw a punch at Collins - and that is to me the greatest indication of how far people have come in their thought processes and attitudes.

Yes Sleepless, you put it beautifully - the day will come when sexual orientation will not be a part of a person's definition anymore than which hand he or she favors. The gays of the world have had to suffer so much in order to drag the rest of us into enlightenment, it seems that social progress takes so much bloodshed and ruined lives, I don't understand why that is.
I don't think it can all be blamed on religious dictation. A lot of religious people now support the allowance of gays to exercise the rights they already possess, even if their own church still regards gays as 'less than' - so I don't really understand where the seed of loathing comes from.

But things are so much better today. Someone (Ham?) has mentioned several times that the gay issue is a non-issue to kids of today. How completely wonderful is that? Certainly far, far different than when I was a teen, that's for sure.
Joe, you and your friends have fought so hard, suffered so much for so many years, Im glad you are young enough to see the fruits of your labor begin to be enjoyed. Things are really moving now.

o

He will be a free agent after this season and it will be interesting to see who will pick him up...

o

And this is what the media is going to focus on...seriously...?
Who gives a dam....good for him for making the decision but really..for it to be the lead story is pathetic.

o

This is big because it reflects the wave of change washing across the country in regard to acceptance of differing sexual orientation...

o

This is big because it reflects the wave of change washing across the country in regard to acceptance of differing sexual orientation...

sexual orientation doesn't mean a dam thing to the majority of people in this country...but the media would lead you to believe otherwise///there are more important issues.

o

Beg to differ, it is a big issue in this country as evident on this forum...

o

Its certainly a big enough issue for those who have suffered oppression and discrimination - only the woefully oblivious would dismiss the importance of such public bravery and how very far we still are from universal acceptance.

o

"universal acceptance"

That will be a day of days! When prejudice and discrimination no longer darken humanity. I wish that day were today...

o

Universal acceptance, never going to happen.

o

"This is what the media is focusing on?"

I wouldn't say that. But they did mention it.

o

Will the support be there when the radical factions of the homosexual comunity attempt to decriminalize "charges of crimes against children" which many say is behind the push for homosexual rights etc. Just asking folks...

o

Strange, very strange...

o

Will the support be there when the radical factions of the homosexual comunity attempt to decriminalize "charges of crimes against children"

Why do you say the homosexual community would be the one to decriminalize those crimes? It seems to be the priests and married men that are doing those crimes.

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 8:33

....and once again the ignorance of those who equate homosexuality to pedophilia. Straight people are pedophiles.

o

Brighton is being polite I'm sure!
I congratulate it for restraining itself!

o

It seems to be the priests and married men that are doing those crimes.

You left out thousands of school teachers, many of them married women.

o

I'm sure I left out lots of categories ... uncles, fathers, coaches, neighbors.

The point it is well stated by ohiomom: we need not "equate homosexuality to pedophilia" when so many heterosexuals participate in it, be they male or female.

o

We would have to digress into the murky waters of crime & crime statistics.

This kind of event will no longer matter when this kind of post is no longer posted!

o

Why does it matter what his sexual orientation is?

Why should it matter?

This post was edited by demifloyd on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 10:31

o

It shouldn't. Everyone here but perhaps brightenborn would agreed with you on that.

But his declaration may help young people that are gay feel more comfortable about coming out. Unfortunately we are still in a position where people are afraid to be honest about their sexuality when it is not the mainstream answer.

“He is really leading the way in being the first major-leaguer to come out. I can’t believe it’s 32 years after I came out, but better late than never. It just puts it on the front page, and most of all, we don’t want being gay to be an issue. I think Jason coming out this way is going to push that forward a little bit, and most of all, he is going to save lives, there is no doubt in my mind. There is some kid out there who is not going to commit suicide because Jason is out.”

Here is a link that might be useful: It could save lives says one person

o

"It"...good description.

o

I have posted before that activism falls off greatly in nations where equality is established.
My experience teaches me that history would be a good place to look as to why it matters so much.
The overriding force for it being an issue in modern & ancient times has been religion.

What is the point of this event.
There is a big historical presumption that some communities tend to be more repressed(hostile) than others.
Flash a fashion designer is discovered to be interested in the same sex (gee really) Hows that for a stereotype
A Male Sports figure is "discovered" to be homosexual possibly even gay.
Is he on the down low (shame based paying for it paying blackmail to not be discovered) Does he say I will be me and free and (COME OUT)

Discovery almost always speaks of shame & embarrassment (we can read a headline)

Anyone comes out there is always "why on earth did I need to know this) That question can never answer with that mind set at that moment.
Then there are those (yes children listening) and it may be safer for them to be who they are.
I am surrounded by a whole generation of men & women now who had my generation to pave the way for their coming out.

I was speaking at a meeting once & was lambasted for saying "I f all we ever got was Will & Grace Out of Stonewall it would be Something"

My childhood & adolescent offerings were future arrest in a gay bar., entrapment by undercover police or marrying a woman and hoping I would die early without her finding out I had little or no interest in her sexually..
(with the punch line their lives are ruined)

My prospects were not bright my options to find anyone to have a community with were nil!

at 19 I kicked open the door & made sure that everyone I hung around with on the street corners in the Bronx knew I was gay. 40 years later I'm still in contact with a few of them When I worked at The Daily News I never said my friend it was always my boyfriend this was 1973 on I insisted that I be respected & there were several people who I worked with who never put the sneer away. By being a worker among workers who never edited people learned not to see someone worthy of being arrested but just someone they worked with.
That was the goal of chanting OUTTA THE CLOSETS and into the streets 40 years ago.
In parade after Parade calling out to the people watching on the side lines COME OUT COME OUT & they did & still need to.
Gay Youth needs roll models from every walk of life.

You don't have discovery or outing in the heterosexual community because the default presumption in the world is heterosexual till outed by choice or other means.

There are very few gay activists who rail against the gay community who are outed as heterosexuals.

Dan Savage gives an excellent take on this we were told half a million soldiers would leave the Military if DADT were enacted.
2 left & they didn't get the ball rolling!

Here is a link that might be useful: Dan Savage

This post was edited by labrea on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 11:14

o

Ahhh, just watched the pres come back to the podium to answer a shouted question about Jason Collins.

Best president in my lifetime.

o

This is heartening. He will be a much-needed role model. And, yes, it IS a big issue, at least in America. It is true that the young generation see it as a non-issue, for the most part. I am so hoping there will never be another Matthew Shepherd incident....

o

For me, the natural assumption is if I didn't get to choose my sexuality, then nether did or does anyone else. We are all who we are, and that should not carry an ounce of shame.

What is shameful is the ignorance that still lingers, linking homosexuality to pedophilia. There is no link. One has nothing to do with the other. There's no reason for such ignorance as information is plentiful on any subject one wishes to know about.

o

Now I can understand why some folks continue to drag the story line to pedophiles into the mix. The Organization NAMBLA continually tried making common cause with the early gay activist movement. They have been banned from all US Pride Parades as an organization for years.
I must say I often will do the same myself in connection with some religious organization that have sketchy histories steeped in mystery around such matters.
Sometimes it's merely convenient cudgel.

o

It may be easier to just keep believing that there is a link of homosexuality to pedeophilia rather than to have to do the tough work of accepting that there is actually no link whatsoever.

If we discard that last old wives tale, then maybe we are stuck with figuring out exactly why it is we hate and fear homosexuality - how someone else's sexual preference ever directly threatened or even effected our own life, which might leave us to wonder why we hated and feared this group of people for all those years when they were just people just living their lives, just like everyone else?

o

If we discard that last old wives tale, then maybe we are stuck with figuring out exactly who is molesting our children!

o

Why does it matter what his sexual orientation is?

Why should it matter?

It shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, and in large part due to one of the major political parties in this country (the party you vote for), it does matter. That party has done everything they can to try and make it shameful. They have done everything they can to try and prevent equal rights for an entire section of our population.

Until they stop doing that, and realize that they are on the wrong side of justice and equality, it will continue to matter.

I saw the movie 42 this weekend. I wish those like brigtonborn would realize that in a couple of decades, they will appear the same as the ignorant racists depicted in that movie. They won't because it takes a certain level of intelligence to see it for what it is. But, they will eventually all die off and the next generation will not feel that way. And thank goodness for that.

o

I won't post any bits or pieces from the link... because it's just too incredible, and I don't want to spoil anyone's fun in reading...

All I can say is... there is no end to the lengths some will go...

Here is a link that might be useful: From the Mouths of Geniuses...

o

one thing for sure, Jason has scored more points with this announcement than he has during his entire NBA career. :)

And it's okay for some folks to have to evolve, just like the president and Bill and Hillary Clinton had to evolve on gay marriage. Before the campaign & election, it was wrong.

o

No, before the campaign and election, THEY were wrong.
And I always thought DADT was a cowardly move, a delay tactic so that somebody else had to do the dirty work and wrong, too.

So, what is something political in nature you believe is positive and also right, Brush?

o

Posted by esh_ga z7 GA (My Page) on Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 12:57:

"If we discard that last old wives tale, then maybe we are stuck with figuring out exactly who is molesting our children!"

amen.

o

Mylab,

You're right again. Obama and Clinton's were dead wrong, and still are on many things.

o

I don't require family church or Universal acceptability. I require the so called equality provisions of US laws to be upheld and adjusted where necessary!
Good grief what on earth would I want with Brightons acceptance ( this is why rights should never be
Left to the whims, loathing or condescension of such people!

o

Well stated, Joe! Equality in the eyes of the law is deserved by everyone.

o

I've been trying to think of a way to say exactly this:

•Posted by sleeplessinftwayne z4-5 IND (My Page) on Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 20:00

"sigh... I will be satisfied on the day when it is no longer necessary(??) or surprising or even worthy of announcement that anyone is gay or straight or lesbian or bi or anything else except to a potential sex partner. It is something that has always existed and being offended by it is as reasonable as being offended by left-handedness."

My thoughts exactly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

Interesting, elvis. Now I'm even more baffled why you wouldn't answer the question about your opinion of the Boy Scouts not allowing gay troup leaders.

And, I agree -- sleepless said it very well.

o

I'm left handed... some people are right handed... and some people are (gasp!) ambidextrous! ;-)

While I feel the same... I'll be happy when the issue is a non-issue... I also feel that it takes examples and role models, and often legal battles, to bring about change... to make things more acceptable to those who don't understand or choose not to, and to end the ignorance.

Having said that... I think the more public figures that step forward, the better for everyone.

Our country has gone through more than its fair share of bigotry, of fighting for equal rights, of gaining ground... only to have it sit precariously in the hands of those are supposed to represent us. And many of those persons can't seem to leave personal bias at home, but must weave it into the laws that govern us.

Even when the last barrier has been broken, and we all have the same very deserved equal legal rights, it will be a constant thing to keep a watchful eye on those who would turn back the hands of time...

o

It was apparently good for business!
The Sports Illustrated website, SI.com, drew 3.713 million unique visitors Monday an all time high!
"A count of how many different people access a Web site. For example, if a user leaves and comes back to the site five times during the measurement period, that person is counted as one unique visitor, but would count as five "user sessions."
Unique hits are pays per click which can ad up to a decent amount of change.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here