Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jews Must Register in

Posted by labrea 7NYC (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 16:13

This sounds like a shake down scam. I hope it's just a scam. There was worry about right wing parties in Western Ukraine which have been around awhile but haven't played the all to familiar Gypsies & Jews gambits. As some of these parties have in other former Eastern block countries.

Jews in the eastern Ukrainian city of Donetsk where pro-Russian militants have taken over government buildings were told they have to "register" with the Ukrainians who are trying to make the city become part of Russia, according to Ukrainian and Israeli media.

Here is a link that might be useful: USA Today

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jews Must Register in

Snopes gave it a "mix". I read a few items - though the flyers are obviously real and would generate genuine apprehension, a scammy fear tactic may be the sad reality.

o

What the hell is happening to our world? Have people lost their minds? Does history teach nothing?

o

Lab...

What do you think they are up to?

DD

o

I'm not psychic are you?
Please stop calling me lab!
Another poster used to call me lab I can't recall who it was. La brea means fine day in irish!
I have no idea what lab (it's not my chosen screen name) but I'm not thrilled with it!
I've posted on the plight of the Romany peoples and the neo fascist groups before this kind of stuff always makes my skin crawl!

This post was edited by labrea on Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 20:25

o

I wonder, is a working knowledge of Gaelic a reasonable expectation on this forum? I guess so, just as it's quite obvious that labrea would be derived from the irish rather than the spanish place name of some tar pits in CA….

Regarding the OP, if people do pay attention to history then they would probably decide to get out of the Ukraine if they possibly can.

o

Visiting Ukraine is certainly not on my bucket list...

o

Let the refugee flights begin!

o

This did not get a mention on the MSNBC line up last evening... I thought it might. FOX has quite a few items brought up on a Google search - none of which I opened.

o

•Posted by pnbrown z6.5 MA (My Page) on Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 7:11

"I wonder, is a working knowledge of Gaelic a reasonable expectation on this forum"

I wouldn't think so, any more than we should be expected to know what Nancy is saying when she bursts into snippets of Italian. I've heard Labrea's explanation before; it's a very nice screen name origin and a good phrase to know, I suppose, very positive: "fine day." Nice.

"Visiting Ukraine is certainly not on my bucket list..."

We have an acquaintance who vacations in Ukraine frequently because it's inexpensive and according to him, the women are very accommodating (how crass). He has cancelled his trips till further developments occur.

Back to the OP, there is some speculation that this is a ploy by the pro-nationalists to make the Russians look bad. IMO that's plausible.

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 12:55

So the Russian are saying the Ukrainians are Nazis...... and the above ploy is to make Russia look bad, and somehow it's both sides accusing the other of being worse to Jews? As in, look at us, we're better?
Really?
Gosh, you just can't make this stuff up.

Or can you?

o

"So the Russian are saying the Ukrainians are Nazis......"

No, vice versa.

o

Labrea, I apologize.
I was the one who used to continually shorten your name to lab - Im not sure why I did - probably I was unfamiliar with your forum name and spelling and likely shorthanded it out of being too lazy to check the spelling - then it became a bad habit.
Won't be repeated.

o

Oh, don't worry. The Russians and Ukranians have always acted rationally.

o

Are you saying that your lab is not the same as his lab?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here