Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doing something for a good cause. How about you?

Posted by denninmi 6A SE Michigan (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 16:38

I signed up today to do a 100 kilometer ride this summer to raise funds for diabetes research. I have a minimal set goal of $250.

What type of things have you done along this line, and how did it work out for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doing something for a good cause. How about you?

I would like to say that I sign up for any number of charitable events, but I physically couldn't begin, much less complete a marathon or bike ride or even a long walk... even if it were for the best cause on earth. And I can't afford to write a check in place of taking such action. In fact, we've been on the receiving end of charity more than once, ourselves.

We can't participate in many charity gathering events, so we help others in different ways... we share the skills and knowledge we have acquired over the years with whomever is in need, and there's never a charge for any of it.

I've often said that if we have $2 and you need $1, then we have $1 too many, and we share. What goes around comes around.

I do hope you have a nice ride, and it IS for a good cause... doing good for others is what fulfills us as human beings, I believe. It's good karma!

o

I've volunteered time over the years to children's organizations as chairperson and treasurer.

I've been a foster parent for many years.

I've donated many a dollar, mostly to children's charities but the occasional other when it's there.

All of these are extremely rewarding activities and the foster parenting in particular is the most important to me.

o

I use a credit card, Working Assets Visa, which donates 10 cents per purchase to non-profit organizations that promote progressive causes such as social and economic justice, peace organizations, civil rights, and the environment.

I was upset that Working Assets switched to Bank of America to service their accounts, but not enough to stop using the card.

o

Denninmi I--I too am involved in diabetes research and participate in all events and annual walks. We have a family team with t shirts we design and distribute to team members.

I also support a young woman inbetween the age of my daughters who is disabled, in a therapeutic equestrian program. A good friend and her husband and I make sure she rides all year and participates in events. She had made great progress in her language skills
The last year and a half she talks to the horse and about him.
This year I hope to attend her rideathon and meet her and her parents.

Also support doctor and wife nurse who travel to Eastern Europe to do surgery on children.

Other charities like st Jude's and smile train local food bank etc but the ones I mentioned are the ones closest to my heart.

Also an annual walk to benefit children of a 35 year old widow that was in my Grief group.
Her husband had congenital heart defect so triplets have to be tested and insurance doesn't cover repeated test costs.

A young girl was killed in an accident so a nearby city has a day set aside to
Do a good deed in her name. A surprise gift or paying for a stranger's lunch are some things some of us do.

Good thread it will be nice to hear responses!

o

On March 27th I worked alongside my daughter's organization to assist 350 disabled children and their siblings enjoy an Easter Egg Hunt. It was the very first experience for many special needs kids. Families with special needs kids don't usually attend an event designed for typical families. They came in wheel chairs and other adaptive devices; disabilities ranged from down syndrome, autism, dup15q, cerebral palsy, paraplegia and hundreds of other disabilities.

A dedicated team of special kids moms stuffed over 4,000 eggs with interesting toys and some candy. Then another team of siblings and parents positioned the 4,000 eggs throughout the park area.

One hour later every last egg was collected and smiling faces accompanied by tears of joy were on display.

We purchased 10,000 eggs from Target & Hobby Lobby for next year. Our goal is a 2nd annual event to serve joy and fun to 1,000 disabled kids next Easter.

May will be our 1st annual skate party. That should be interesting. :)

o

I'm sitting here watching my 17 year old son knitting a baby hat on a round loom for hospital babies. He looks at me and says "I'm totally thug, yo."

o

I work for a non-profit with little salary and no raise for 5 years.

I am a donation.

o

I've found many of those "doing something for a good cause" very misleading and in many cases outright fraud.

I donate money (and time) directly to charities I support. The charity gets more of the money.

o

I, too, think it prudent to first look into where the actual funds you're donating will go to. In all too many cases, the money raised doesn't get to where it's needed in any decent amount.

Research!

Look to Haiti as an example, in the aftermath of the earthquake ... or even the results of hurricane Sandy... a lot of donations were pilfered, never reaching those in need... or went for "administrative needs". And a lot of "charitable organizations" and "donation sites" spring up when disasters happen... or are currently working toward scamming the public out of money in the name of "a good cause".

It pays to research.

o

I generally donate time, goods, services and professional labor directly to the recipients of my choice, so waste, fraud and distribution and timing aren't issues.

o

I am like Jodi because of my back there is no walking or running in this body.

Before I retired I was lightly involved in begging for dollars for scholarship funds for disadvantage students to attend college. Since my retirement I am able to do more fund raising and organizing drives for more funds. It is something I can do electronically and personal involvement of schmoozing for dollars.

I send checks for different issues but I like hands on help so my scholarship work is the most personal rewarding.

o

I wonder about a lot of charities, too. The ride I will do is legitimate, it is for the American Diabetes Assoc., has about 3000 riders, and a large group of Fortune 500 and local corporate sponsors, such as Nissan, Kroger, Lilly pharma, and Blue Cross MI.

o

"Her husband had congenital heart defect so triplets have to be tested and insurance doesn't cover repeated test costs."
it is disgraceful that these triplest have to be the recipients of charity while you allow your health funds to get away with this sort of profiteering.

HammiLlton....good on your son and he and his knitting for the babies ROCK!!

o

There's nothing unmanly about knitting, sewing, cooking, cleaning, or any chores or hobbies previously reserved for women.

While I cook decently, my husband is much more skilled in the kitchen... and aside from all his manly skills, he is very adept at doing many things that women are more inclined to do... quilting, crocheting, sewing, knitting, etc... and he's my hair stylist, my manicurist, and gives the best deep tissue massage and pressure point treatments ever... he's really a very amazing man, very talented and in tune to what women need and want. I'm a very lucky girl!

o

denninmi, my wife and I donate time and money to two homeless causes.
My particular reason for participating?
"There, but for the grace of God, go I".

o

There's nothing unmanly about knitting, sewing, cooking, cleaning, or any chores or hobbies previously reserved for women.

For pretty much anyone under the age of 40 and a good number of people over that age, I don't think anyone considers cooking, cleaning, sewing etc to be "unmanly".

And kids these days? They don't hang on to those old people's notions.

That's what I love about this upcoming generation. With the exception of a few Neanderthal families, these kids view the homophobia, racism, and notions of it being "unmanly" to cook dinner as something the old farts hang on to.

o

Exactly, HG... and about time the chain of many prejudices and traditions was broken!

It is my fervent hope that there aren't all that many Neanderthal families still around!

o

IMO if you eat, you should be able to cook.

o

Just to clarify, when he made the joke about being "thug"... that's not a reference to "manliness".

"Thug" is bada$$, hardcore, violence, criminal activity, gang activity, guns, sex, booze... you get the idea.

He was knitting baby hats and said "I'm totally thug".

Let's not equate thug with manliness.

o

I understood, HG... I raised three kids and quite a few of their friends, yo! :-)

o

It's not really that hard to research the efficiency of charity dollars when you have access to the internet. Givewell.org is a great resource I found through Peter Singer's "The Life You Can Save" pledge which is my answer to the thread question.

Other than that, I volunteer occasionally for a few different groups I respect. Nothing totally consistent .... a foster cat here or there, a day spent walking girls past protesters at PP, attending the local trash bash for my neighborhood etc etc.

o

I plan to help maintain the Ballona Wetlands with their monthly volunteer habitat restoration aka weeding groups. I remember exactly where I saw that Brazilian pepper tree seedling...

o

Ah, Brazilian Pepper -- I have one, and love it! But, it's potted, and isn't hardy here in MI, so no danger of it spreading -- plus the fact it's a male, and has no female to pollinate (alas, poor lonely boy keeps trying every year). I just like it for the spicy aroma of the foliage and the fact it's tough and nothing bothers it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here