Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for a potato side

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 16:54

This weekend is the weekend we put the boats in the water and the whole "fam damily" will be here and hungry!

I'm planning smoked ribs, BBQ rotisserie chickens, slaw with a cream dressing and fresh homemade rolls but I'm stuck on the starch.

There will be 12, maybe 14, of us so sweet potato fries, oven fries and potato skins are out. The only thing I can think of is baked potatoes with all the trimmings.

Anyone have any better ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
)))))Need ideas for a potato side

Oooops, sorry guys! Wrong Forum!!

o
RE: Need ideas for a potato side

That's OK, Chase. Just give me the address where y'all will be so I can get there early!

Unless you want to make a whole lot more work for yourself, I think the baked potatoes with lots of bacon and chives are the way to go. Sounds like FUN!

o

How about boiling up scrubbed baby new potatoes; toss with a bit of butter and olive oil and some chopped parsley.

o

Poutine.

o

• Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 17:11

Chipotle sweet potato gratin? I make a variation of Bobby Flay's. Got the recipe from Mique many years ago. Wonder whatever happened to her?

o

Twiced baked-bake those potatoes-dump them out of the skins and chunky fluff, saute lots of onions and toss in-some grated cheese of your choice, some non fat sour cream salt pepper and then use your imagination if you want-steam some broc, chop and include that is always good or chopped tomato or ?-put back in oven and let bake till it starts to brown-It keeps nicely and can be rewarmed if necessary-so much better than ordinary old potato salad...

o

Poutine for 14...not happening, although I love it, seriously French Canadian and something my cardiologist doesn't approve of.... LOL

Natal that sounds interesting with the BBQ, if you have a recipe email me. Meanwhile I'll surf! ;)

My Poutine, homemade french fires, gravy and fresh cheese curds......I love pepper , can you tell!

o
))) Need ideas for a potato side

Oh and forgot to say you are all invited......might be good for our souls..or whatever it is we think of as our soul... ;)

o

Cheesy Au Gratin... save yourself some extra work. That, or make a wild rice dish...

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 18:04

Cheese curds are SOOOOO labor intensive ... I put in a 12 hour day when we make them at the creamery.

I like Duluth's suggestion.

o

OMG chase that looks so beautiful! I would love to know how to make that....I can get the best cheese curds from the Amish store up the street from me.

o

My personal preference is homemade German potato salad (my German grandmother's recipe), but Duluth's idea sounds perfect - and easy.

That Poutine looks mighty fine.

o

Potato salad was my first thought. It would go well with the other items in the menu and it's reasonably easy.

What time should we be there?

o

Cube potatoes about 1 cm.
Toss in a mixing bowl.
A couple glugs of olive oil.
A couple tablespoons of minced garlic.
A couple tablespoons of basil and oregano***.
A couple shakes of salt (optional)
Mix it all up.

If cooking on the BBQ, wrap it all in foil.
If cooking in the oven, bake it in a tin but mix it up often because the bottom gets crispy.

*** You can substitute one of those Club House shake on seasonings like Greek or Roasted Pepper and Garlic for the basil, oregano and garlic. I've done it and they are pretty good.

o
Poutine

Jerzee,

It's just french fries with cheese curds on top, pour gravy all over it.

Although I crumble my cheese curds up smaller so that they melt when the hot gravy gets poured on top. I like the cheese meltey.

And grated mozza cheese will do in a pinch, if you don't have cheese curds.

o

As this is turning into a pot luck, at least judging by my saliva, I promise to bring my appetite. In Quebec every meal requires a bonne fourchette, c'est moi.

o

Thanks, HG. I am going to try that! I assume I could use gravy from a jar, right?

As much as I love potato salad, if there's cole slaw, that would mean two salads, which is okay, but I think roasted potatoes sprinkled with garlic powder and olive oil would be a good complement to the ribs.

o

Fri, Apr 27, 12 at 20:00

You're not making your famous baked beans?

Thought of another ... also from a former CF member, Marilyn.

Potatoes Delmonico

2 pounds red potatoes
4 ounces cheddar, grated
1/2 cup Parmesan, grated
1 clove garlic, minced
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 cups half & half or cream
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup coarse bread crumbs

Boil whole unpeeled potatoes until tender in salted water; cool and cut into 1-inch pieces. Place potatoes in large bowl and add cheeses, garlic, salt, pepper, half & half, and paprika; stir to combine. Place in an 8-inch square baking dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake at 400 for 30-40 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.

o

Thanks, HG. I am going to try that! I assume I could use gravy from a jar, right?

If you like the gravy, yes, absolutely.

But I must admit I have never seen gravy in a jar before. I know there are the powdered gravy packets, just add water and heat. But I don't think they sell gravy in a jar up here.

o

The gravy in the jar is turkey gravy. It's thicker (probably thickened with cornstarch). The gravy in the packets are more "au jus" (like you would drizzle over roast beef). I guess I need to know what kind of gravy (fowl or beef?)to use. The picture above looks more like turkey gravy.

o
Gravy

Do you have a "brown" gravy? If not, a beef gravy would be best, but that's my personal taste.

I prefer a brown gravy on fries as opposed to a chicken or turkey gravy.

o
RE: Need ideas for a potato s//

I think I could make some brown gravy with beef broth. I can't wait to try it!

o

After reviewing your menu again this morning, I want to change my answer to skip a potato side and have a huge fresh salad instead. You already have rolls for the starch and creamy slaw is the only veggie, so something less rich for the salad selections would be the best choice for an additional dish.

o

I would postpone the party for 5 or 6 weeks so the new potatoes can be from someone's garden.

o

You can buy brown (beef) gravy in a jar too.

HG, we take cubed potatoes (like your recipe), add a little olive oil, fresh rosemary and a few spices (salt/pepper?) and then nuke it for 5 mins, stir and then nuke again. Quick and tasty.

o

Thanks for all the suggestions I think I'll make the sweet potato chipolte gratin and a German potato salad.

Althea, the fresh salad is the right thing to do but...it's cottage opening weekend and that calls for bad.

However , I will redeem myself with brunch which include lots of fresh fruit !!!

o

You know... you could always turn an "au jus" packet style into gravy by adding corn starch, and a few drops of what I use to change the color in chop suey... can't think of name, but it's like a brown gravy sauce in a small bottle. Just sayin'...

Two things I keep around always... corn starch, and baking soda. :-)

o

Making gravy from beef broth is easy too.

Make a roux from equal parts butter and flour (eg 2 TBSPS of each). Melt the butter, add the flour, stir a few minutes to form a bubbling paste. Raise the heat and slowly add enough HOT beef broth to reach the consistency you want for the gravy. Salt and pepper to taste or add a little Worcestershire if you wish.

The french fries for the poutine are homemade. Frozen ones get to soggy with the gravy but my kids use frozen.

o

Just thought I'd slip this in.....

Photobucket

o

How about green bean with potatoes? Adds a bit of starch and another veggie?

My favorite way to cook this would be to saute onion and bacon, smoked sausage or ham bone, throw in some new potatoes (if larger, cut in half), and then add frozen or fresh green beans. If you like your beans still crisp, don't add until the potatoes are almost done. You can also saute and brown your potatoes a bit before adding the green beens.

Season to your liking. Enjoy. :)

o

My idea would be a lemon potato salad made with new red potatoes, chives ,spring onions, no mayonnaise, just lemon juice, olive oil and red wine vinegar served warm. Everyone always requests it.

o

Ooooooh lily that sounds wonderful and I will save it for another time...too late to get into town and back for missing ingredients....but that sounds wonderful !

Now back to the Key Lime and Lemon Meringue pies!

PS: Poor darlins' are out there launching the boats at the Marina which means a 30 minute boat ride back across the lake and it's barely 40 degrees out there and breezy...as I put another log on the fire!!

o
)))Need ideas for a potato side

Dave, I got a real hoot out of that, thanks for the giggle!

A potato salad exercising their 2nd amendment rights! LOL

o

Chase, make your life easy. Get some (preferably newly dug) baby potatoes. Put them in some foil, add some salt, pepper and olive oil and put them on the grill to cook. When they are done serve them with various toppings like sour cream, yoghurt, tehini, herbs, etc.

o

I find au gratin potatoes a big pain, I can't seem to slice the potatoes thin enough by hand for my taste and the mandoline always takes out a chunk of knuckle-skin as payment ;)!

I am NOT a fan of thick gravy or having it used over anything including mashies or turkey - never have been even as a kid, but I know that stuff Jodi is talking about, it comes in a smallish plastic jar, you use one part of the stuff to two parts water (I think) and a very fast way to create an acceptable thin au jus gravy which I have used for re-warming leftover steak which I slice fairly thin for sandwiches for DH for Sat lunch for him - I use it for additional moisture while I warm it in the oven, makes the steak very juicy and then he has a dipper for the sandwich, too.

It sounds like a very nice cottage opening day, have a wonderful time - wish I could be there to show up uninvited but traveling into another country to crash your party seems a bit excessive! ;)

o

This discussion is really making me wish the new potatoes were in. I have to try not to think about potatoes until mid-june. Threads like this don't help.

o

Sweet potatoes and rutabaga mashed, add other small things to season. The two main tastes compliment each other in a weird way.

o

We will be having potatoes for dinner tonight. :)

The potatoes I planted mid-March are doing great. The second planting two weeks ago is up.

o

Chase ,my lemon red potato salad is to die for. Let me know when you want the whole recipe. It's easy to make and best part, no mayonnaise which I don't like.

o

Sat, Apr 28, 12 at 18:29

Lily, I make a similar potato salad (dh isn't crazy about mayo) with fresh basil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lemon Basil Potato Salad

o

New potatoes and fresh little green beans, blanched, then marinated in oil and vinegar and pink salt while hot. Makes a great cold salad later.

o

Lily, I would love that recipe. Please feel free to email me if you would rather not post out here......

Natal the sweet potato grain was a hit......thanks.

The under 30 crowd are playing cards, the over 30 crowd are yapping about taxes and hockey and the cook is off to bed.....

o

Chase..I'll post it here tomorrow. Have to look it up. Natal, yours sounds real good too. Love anything with basil and lemon..

o

Doesn't have to be potatoes. Could be macaroni or another pasta salad. Rice pilaf goes well with ribs and chicken or even mac and cheese.

o

My Mom made the best old fashioned potato salad, keeping the potato pieces a little on the firm side, and using plenty of hard boiled egg chopped up. Chopped celery, green and red pepper, and your usual other ingredients... mayo, fresh black pepper, a tad bit of salt and season salt, and a little mustard powder as opposed to actual mustard. I could sit and eat just that, but it's not on our menu anymore. Too much fat and cholesterol, ya know!

Good recipes being "tossed" around here... I like to use a mixture of white and wild rice for rice dishes, but we stay away from too much pasta and cheese. Actually, we wouldn't eat much of this type of thing, except on holidays or special occasions. We're into the health thing now.

Twice baked potatoes are great, but a lot of work... and as I've gotten older and less able, I've begun to find ways to cheat a little... to have certain things easier to do or take less time and actual physical labor to prep!

For my sweet potato casserole, I cheat and use canned sweet potatoes... I know, it's not quite the same... but I can't manage all the extra steps. It's easy to cut up the canned into thin layers, sprinkle brown sugar and thin, real butter pats between the layers... then arrange slightly stale (you want them a little stiff so they don't melt) marshmallows on top in a nice design, cover with non-stick foil, and bake as you would. About a half hour to an hour at a low temp, about 300, removing the foil for the last few minutes to brown the tops of the marshmallows. Kids love the marshmallows!

And who makes traditional green bean casserole? French style green beans, Campbell's mushroom soup, French's fried onions, a dash of soy sauce, dash of fresh black pepper... recipe is on every can around the holidays, and our table would not be complete without it! I cut back severely on the milk to keep the consistency thick... less than a third cup of milk for each can of soup. I sometimes add a small can of extra mushrooms, chopped. Bake about half to a full hour... I put them in the same time the sweet potatoes go in, and remove the foil to brown the top extra layer of those onions for the last few minutes.

It's a great, easy to put together, holiday-like meal when you can find a nice ham on sale after the holidays. We have a spiral cut awaiting cooking... found it on sale, and those are not easy to locate cheap!

Like I said, none of this would be our average fare... but it's ok to cheat now and again... a person still has to live!

The new potato recipes sound good... I'll have to try some of those.

o

Okay chase(and any others who would like a summer potato salad). Sorry I meant to do this yesterday and it slipped my mind...

Boil 2 and 1/2 lbs of red skinned potatoes for 20 minutes. and then cut into 1/2 inch slices(do not peel) Drain and put in bowl.
Whisk 4 tablesp of lemon juice and 1 tablesp of zest, 2 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 2 teasp of garlic , 1 and 1/2 teasp of white wine vinegar. Slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil whisking constantly till thickened. Add sea salt and pepper, stir in 3 tablesp of chopped tarragon & 1 table sp of chives. >>( I used other herbs instead of tarragon sometimes and I put spring onions finely chopped on top..

Add the dressing while potatoes are warm and serve, Good cold or warm. Enjoy!

o

When it come to using potatoes in salad form, I always try to opt for reds over russets... reds are so much more tasty and sweet! Thanks, Lily!

o

That recipe sounds good lily. It is very much like the potato portion of my salade nicoise except I add rosemary. It's my favorite way of eating potatoes!

jodi, have you tried the baby Yukon golds. I use them a lot because they are very lo-cal for potatoes.

o

Helped plant about 500 lbs of red norlands today. That should keep us in new potatoes for july. The old Oliver double-row planter is cranky, will be a lot of gaps in the rows.

o

Thanks Lily. Your recipe sounds great. Jerzee, Yukons are about the only potatoes I've eaten for years and years. Yum.

o

Jody, yes, Yukons are great and so are Fingerlings for potato salad. They are waxy and don't fall apart like Russets. Those are great for baked and mashed (as are Yukon Golds).

I have never met a potato that I don't like. :)

o

My idea of heaven is falling into a vat of Idaho russets made and hand mashed with lots of salt and butter and pepper and hot milk - and having to eat my way out in order to save my life.
I eat low carb and Idaho mashies are what I miss most. Plus a great chicken and veggie soup but with all the really high carb veggies in it.

And grits with lots of salt, pepper, butter and an over easy egg with the yolks busted and mixed all up in a bowl.

I better stop talking about this stuff or I'm going to be pigging out on carbs!

o

I love potatoes, too... all types have their purpose, and it's always the additions we make that add the calories and/or fats!

I recently found out that there's something in the way butter is processed here in the US, some preservative that's added or something, that places it on the list of "not that good for us". However, there are still a few types of naturally prepared butters that can be had if you can locate them.

For me, a large potato smothered in butter and sour cream with a few chives is heaven... but it's that cholesterol I have to watch. Greek yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream, and one can use the naturally prepared, whipped butter as an alternative to what passes for "real" butter.

It gets harder and harder to find foods that are not processed in some way that makes them not the healthiest things to ingest.

We don't often eat potatoes any more, but when we do... the reds are my favorites, along with sweet potatoes. The fingerlings are good, too.

We find ourselves limited by budget, cooking methods, health, and what's considered the most nutritional bang for the buck. As such, we eat lots of things like broccoli, cantaloupe, bananas, other fruits and vegetables, some fish, some meats, whole grains like oats, wild rice, and I use a meal replacement of athletic/high quality as at least one or two meals per day. We try to split meals into 3 or 4 small ones per day.

Between that, and our usual handful of supplements each morning, we feel better than we have in years!

I do cheat every now and then... and I pay for it! Breads and processed goods, or foods containing lots of sugars make us both very sick, now. It's amazing what the human body will accustom itself to ingesting... but what's even more amazing is how one can feel after detoxing from all the junk out there!

o

Thanks Lily that sounds great a perfect addition to summer BBQ's.....now where is summer????

o

You're welcome chase. My granddaughter always requests that when she's home from college. Re: summer. It arrived here ten minutes ago. Down coats, covering all the plants outside for four nights because of frost/freeze warnings, and it popped up to the mid 70's this morning. My bees which came from Kentucky yesterday, are happy. So hold on...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here