Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
License plate offensive?

Posted by jillinnj (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 16:57

Atheist sues over New Jersey license plate refusal

Shannon Morgan identifies as an atheist and wants the world, or at least the car behind her, to know it. But the state of New Jersey says no.

Morgan, of Leesburg, is suing the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission for rejecting her request for a vanity license plate reading "8THEIST," according to a formal complaint filed Thursday with the district court.

But the commission nixed her request, saying the message "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency," according to the complaint.

An Americans United for Separation of Church and State legal team is now helping her sue the commission claiming Morgan's First Amendment rights were violated.

"The state of New Jersey is favoring religion while disparaging nonbelief," said the Rev. Barry W. Lynn, executive director of the group. "It simply has no right to do that."

Morgan claims that she was denied a license plate for "8THEIST" but approved for one that read "BAPTIST" and that this "expresses a preference for theistic religious beliefs, over non-theistic beliefs" according to the complaint.

(bold added by me)

Atheist "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency"? It's in bad taste to be an atheist? It's not decent to be an atheist? I think this commissioner needs to be enlightened to the fact that not everyone believes in god and religion.

Here is a link that might be useful: Source

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: License plate offensive?

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 17:55

Since they allow 7 letters and/or numbers she should get SREWUNJ

o

I was in back of a car the other day with the license plate CNSRVTV. I guess PA doesn’t mind political monikers on state plates.

I have to say that I don’t like license plates that are political or religious, or bumper stickers that yell at me when I’m behind the car sporting such stuff. It’s so aggressive to pop your views in the faces of other drivers who are unable to respond. I don’t even like those dopey stick figures so many folks are pasting on their cars these days. "Baby on Board"? Did you think I was going to bash you because you didn’t have one? How about the honor roll ones--blech.

I know, I sound like a crank. But I’m on busy highways a lot and I don’t need needless distractions.

o

Funny, pidge!

I agree with you. Stick figures are silly, and most bumper stickers are just dumb. I would never stick any of that junk on my car, just as I wouldn't put stickers on my carefully painted walls at home.

I would never pay extra $$ for a vanity license plate either. Just seems silly to me.

But, since it exists, and people are willing to pay extra for it, there does have to be some rules to not have something offensive. Just as CNSRVTV isn't offensive, either is 8THEIST.

o

NJ isn't the only state. Here's an example that was disallowed from Ohio: TEEBAG.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inappropriate Tags

o

Funny, today coming home from visiting relatives, the car diagonal to us had an electronic license plate with a tagline running "please do not tailgate". IDK, that is kind a invitation to be tailgated so you can closer to read if you were behind them. No?
Personally, I'm not a fan of displaying personal messages/opinions on my vehicle.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 18:43

That is ridiculous. I see religious plates all the time, they are just as offensive.

o

A long time back,I thought it would be fun to print up a bunch of bumper stickers with a simple enough design. White lettering on a black background,..stating simply

Matt 6:5

Then whenever I saw a fish on the back of someone's car I could slap my sticker on top of it.

Naturally any who'm I violate in this manner will either KNOW the scripture already(yeah,right!),or at least have the resources to quickly look it up.

It could be said that I have a warped sense of humor,but I think it's an appropriate gesture. ;)

o

I like that, AITG, but I think you have too much time on yours hands, lol, to bother with that!

(Just kidding!)

o

One of these days I'm gonna do it! :)

o

• Posted by rosie Southeast 7A/B (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 19:23

If Baptist really was approved and 8theist not, then a court should definitely side with the applicant. That would be extremely bad judgment.

I find myself hoping, and sort of expecting, though, that the message "may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency" was just some standard bureaucratic blurb, and not opinion specific to "8theist."

Protecting people from the distress of seeing a vulgar word on a plate might be one thing, but the government absolutely should not be used to protect people from different ideas.

o

"It could be said that I have a warped sense of humor,but I think it's an appropriate gesture. ;)"

Some would disagree. You don't want to do that, DD. Could be construed as vandalism, and when one adds in the religion factor, could be a hate crime. That would not be funny.

o

I'll make sure to avoid getting caught...but I know...you're right.

Can you imagine the warm reception awaiting me in prison?

o

Who cares?

While I have never had a bumper sticker, I sometimes drive my younger daughter's Honda CRV (which I kept for errand driving to save miles on my car) which still has a university sticker on it. Other than that, I've never had a sticker or vanity plate and see no reason to.

But "offensive?"

"It’s so aggressive to pop your views in the faces of other drivers who are unable to respond."

Why would you want to respond or why is it aggressive to state your point without someone else being able to argue with you about it?

I honestly will never get the need to control what other people do, to even care that they think differently, if they do why do any of you care?

Good grief there are better things to think about, way better things to do with your time, and some tolerance can certainly be learned.

I guess those that thrive on outrage and negative emotions need to find something to be mad or aggravated about all the time.

o

They have the fox network if all else fails. ;)

o

I have never had a bumper sticker either, I've always thought it kind of junks up a car and is self- promotion, even if its about a religion ( or atheism) or is any message at all - imo its still about self promotion.

My DH has a lot of day travel in his job and he does enjoy tricky license plate letter/number messages he has to figure out. There was one which was a combo of letters and numbers which had him completely stumped for about 50 miles, until it hit him that the word ( rather obscure, but with meaning tho I no longer remember it) was found with those letters and numbers placed in reverse. That was his favorite.
He can figure them all out in seconds now, he has had so much practice.

He tells me that talk radio is scary, lots of nuts with nutty viewpoints in the world. I never listen to it so I didnt know so much crazy stuff went over the radio airwaves.

o

What terrifies me is that there is a market for it.

Makes me nervous that there is so much unbridled hatred in the world.

o

"Makes me nervous that there is so much unbridled hatred in the world."

AITG, are you less nervous with controlled hatred in the world? I'm curious, since you specified that the kind of hatred that makes you nervous is "unbridled"

o

Control issues?

Me?

Never! ;)

o

No, that's a deflection. I asked a straight question, but it's of course your prerogative to not answer it. That's fine.

o

Cite some examples of controlled hatred if you would please though.

I'm curious to the specifics of that suddenly.

Let's put it to the test and see how I feel about it.

I'm sure I'll be scared witless of that too but hey,..I'll give it a shot.

o

I got no problems with bumper stickers.

I find them to be pretty interesting tbh. Can't stand the ones that are written like a novel, in itty bitty print, but as someone who deals with urban traffic all day, I think they kind of spice up my commute :).

Vanity plates are different, because license plates are a legal requirement of the state, and not a matter of decor. I don't think they should be allowed at all, but since they are, there is no reason that any representation that the driver is an atheist should be deemed too offensive for the public. "Teebag" that elvis mentions, I can even stretch my mind to see as a legit rejection, because of the obvious sexual connection that comes up in so many discussions of Tea Party followers. Note I said, "stretch" ... here, I have seen many variations on "BAMF", it's that's okay, then Teebag is tame, even if it's referring to the driver's scrotum imo.

FTR, my older brother has had vanity tags for years in his ongoing efforts to be the political rebel and black sheep in our family. They're always something like "GOP2016" or "GOP4ME".

He was in a wreck about 4 years ago in which his car was totally totaled. My father and I happened to be together, en route to a family function, and he called us to advocate for him with the police since he had to go to the hospital. My dad and I are both liberal dems, but we purposefully searched out and saved his bumper and his tags from several yards away from the scene.

In reviewing the situation, we agreed that we've both gotta try to do magnanimous stuff like that now and again to try to get into heaven one day. :)

Also FTR, I have a bumper sticker. It says "War is costly, Peace is priceless". I put in on every car I get. It never loses its novelty for me, seems like a good message rain or shine. :)

o

I can appreciate bumper stickers that are witty/fun but for many of the political ones , they just make me sad. I have no interest in having a discussion about the issues presented but on some of them, it just lets people know how obnixious they potentially are. I think of one of my son's classmates, his dad has many stickers on his truck and it just kinda makes me cringe, he seems like a nice enough guy but the stickers are obnoxious.

I like the one you have Txn. My bumper sticker came from Penzey's spices and says "Love people, cook them tasty food." Hopefully it is putting some good vibes into the world.

o

I'm against the ones that are condoned by the state that have, (I don't know the exact phrasing), "veteran" on the bottom.

I think that's basically saying, "Hey, cop, I'm your friend that sat in the foxhole with you all those lonely months. Remember me? How about giving me a pass and get your daily quota from one of those ""War is costly, Peace is priceless" dirty, draft-dodging hippies. Thanks, buddy."

Hay

o

Hmmmm

How about one that reads "lawyer riding shotgun"?

o

How about it if we self-limit the use of so many initials in place of good old-fashioned whole words?

For retired seniors like me, I have no idea what most of them refer to. : )

Kate

o

Oh come, I think trying to figure out those vanity plates isgood mental workout, like Roadway Soduko for us older people!

(Or like trying to figure out what BAMF is referenced by Texas Goddess in her post).

Alas too much to do to spend time on it.
If anyone enlightens me it will probably be obvious.
I think I have the last two letters figured out, since I hear it so much when I watch a movie on Showtime.

Are the first two, Bald and then a slang term for behind?

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:52

I actually agree with Demi's earlier post and have also never carried a bumper sticker, though fine if others do. They never irritate me; frankly I don't notice most. I'm too mentally lazy to figure out obscure vanity plates, though, Demi, unless someone promises me it'll be worth it.

The only one I can remember ever finding notably offensive was "Life's too short to dance with fat women" on the car of a dance teacher when we arrived for a lesson. I was slender in those days but took DH and I took it for the hostile message it was and turned and left. Other hate messages are usually merely seen as interesting evidence of who's out there in a wide and varied world. It's hard to shock me, and I appreciate the heads' up.

My favorite bumper sticker to think of is still Barney Frank's "We're not perfect, but they're nuts" because it's so true and makes me smile. :) Txan's "War is costly, Peace is priceless" is a message to the world genuinely worth displaying, though.

o

I have a 3" x 5" Gadsden Flag on the back of my truck. If you find that offensive....too bad.
And if I find an Obama bumper sticker offensive... too bad.

If you find religious bumper stickers offensive... too bad.
Likewise, if you find an atheist bumper sticker offensive... too bad.

Personally, if the atheist wants to show the world his views, I have no problem with it. And Joisey should grant the plate.

People get "offended" far too easy these days. Get over it. Nobody has the right to be offended by a silly sticker to a point where they act on it.

o

People get "offended" far too easy these days. Get over it. Nobody has the right to be offended by a silly sticker to a point where they act on it.

I agree, Christopher. While I wouldn't do it, I'll fight for the right for others to do it.

What I still don't get is the attitude, "It’s so aggressive to pop your views in the faces of other drivers who are unable to respond."

Why is it "aggressive" to display your beliefs when someone else doesn't agree with you and can't argue with you about it?

Is it "aggressive," Pidge, when someone has a bumper sticker than you agree with?

You have a bumper sticker or you don't, why in the world do people get upset about these things?

Explains a LOT OF BEHAVIOR on this forum, however.

o

For demi and others in the same quandary...

Putting aside my usual good taste and as near as I can tell, something in me thinks BAMF is BadazzM***r. Probably need the Looney Tunes "Yosemite Sam" character on it somewhere to complete the picture.

o

I would agree with you, Jill... it is highly suggested the commissioner leave his private life at home and do his job. We do not live in a theocracy.

Atheism is perfectly decent and in good taste. It is not at all offensive.

If it is, as related to license plates, then so are all vanity plates, especially those expressing particular religious connotations.

The fundamentalist trend to inject all that is perceived christian from private lives into the government and workplace, and have it reflected in legislation designed to control specific moral issues is the offensive thing. We are still, and have always been, a secular nation.

Perhaps it's time to talk seriously about revoking tax exempt status for religions and churches.

o

Thank you duluth, but I'm still not getting the first part.

Oh well, won't use the phrase and will pass it by next time if ever I see it~;)

o

"...Perhaps it's time to talk seriously about revoking tax exempt status for religions and churches..."
And how many letters have you written to your Congressman about this? Evidently not enough.

But isn't this about vanity plates?

o

Demi - it means bad azz. Ass. I don't know if the word ass is allowed, but trying it out.

However, I think bald azz for the first two words are far, FAR better!

o

Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:06

Agree entirely with both posts, especially the first, Chris. Live and let live isn't a struggle at all for DH and me.

Our professed ultra-conservative congressman is a card-carrying member of ALEC and belongs to those who promise they'll continue funding his campaigns if he continues to please them. He's also a fundamentalist and former pastor who professes his morality on every occasion. The only time we bother to "write" him is to tell him his duty is to resign when he writes to assure of his continuing dedication to protecting us from the government and requests our thoughts. :)

o

If you couldnt figure out the meaning of the last two letters,
MF mean mommy intercourse only not exactly that, Im positive the actual two words would not be allowed - but you get the drift:

Bad ( bald! I like bald!) Ass Mommy Intercourse.

It's a bumper sticker which I suspect wimps would appreciate and embrace - you know - Justin Bieber type of bumper sticker.

o

clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by mylab123 z5NW (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:06

Demi - it means bad azz. Ass. I don't know if the word ass is allowed, but trying it out.

However, I think bald azz for the first two words are far, FAR better!

Thanks Mylab I am ROTF laughing at myself because for some reason when I read the post from Duluth, I pronounced it "Badaz" as in bedazzle.

It was in plain sight as we say if a snake it would have bit me.

o

So I was wrong in thinking someone misspelled Banff.

o

A secular nation and the revocation of tax exempt status is no guarantee against the overly officious and their "moral" objections to a license plate contrary to what they believe.

Bad taste is one thing - and plenty of states have a listing of banned number and letter combos. Try sneaking "EVIL" or "666" or "DMATRIX" by in New Hampshire.

o

Obviously nancy and Demi need to watch a little less of PBS and the new Cosmos type of viewing and a little more Breaking Bad along with a few selected movies from the movie channel.
How in the world do you two think you will you keep up with the understanding of the new commonly abused use of the English language of the the new century if you restrict yourself to real brain food instead of trash viewing?

Of course, listening to rap, or -sadly now imo -the beautiful Beyonce's music lyrics and message within could probably go a long way in catching you up.

(Note: have not seen a single Breaking Bad episode but if I ever install the Netflix thingie which DH gave me for Christmas, I plan on a weekend of gorging on every single episode.
Then, from what I have heard about the series, maybe if I ever decide to give meth a go I will know what it actually does besides rotting teeth, ruining looks and ruining lives within 3 incredibly short years and will find out if it's injected or smoked. I will know if it will help me to clean the whole house to perfection from ceiling to floor in two frenzied hours, or make me not care if we live in filth- I will consider it to be in my case, educational television viewing!
As it is, I can tell you about every real housewife in every city and tell you that they all need to carve off a pound of makeup to instantly look ten years younger and to quit shopping and gossiping for a living and maybe do some volunteer work to fulfill themselves and give them something interesting to talk about.
But them, what in the world would I watch to zone out while in disbelief over the human condition?
PBS's American Master's?
After all those Real Housewives running around in my brain, my head would explode in protest. And I could no longer instantly figure out what what B(ald)AMF means.)

o

Great minds, Nancy - had briefly thought of that. But what is lacking in questionably tasteful license plate self promotion probably wouldn't be made whole by the unspoiled vistas of Lake Louise.

o

watch a little less of PBS...

Television free household here, and our local UHF channel dropped PBS affiliations and/or programs, or whatever it is with PBS.

If something is really, really important -- such as where exactly is that fire in Malibu/Topanga/Pacific Palisades/Bel-Air -- I'll try to find a video stream. Otherwise, the local non-commercial radio covers just about everything I need.

In defense of being ignorant of BAMF, I am up to speed on the controversy on where exactly East Los Angeles begins, and why portions of L.A. west of the (still concrete) L.A. River are trying to appropriate the mantle of "East Los." Even murkier is the invisible eastern boundary of "West Los." This stuff is important; street and boho cred, hipsterism, anti-status symbolism, rents / home prices rise and fall on this minutiae.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 18:15

BAMF means "Bas Azz MFer?

Whoa, you all jump to such nasty conclusions. I thought it was directed at tail gaters, as in Back Away MFers.

o

Okay. Why hasn't someone proffered it's the sound of someone/something being teleported in and/or out of the hearer's vicinity. There must be a parent's basement dweller with a pile of old Marvel super hero comic books.

Had to look that one up. But even with such an explanation, I don't think it would pass license plate muster.

o

BAMF means "Be Aware My Friend."

My favorite is CRAK "Commit Random Acts of Kindness."

o

Posted by haydayhayday:
"Hey, cop, I'm your friend that sat in the foxhole with you all those lonely months. Remember me? How about giving me a pass and get your daily quota from one of those ""War is costly, Peace is priceless" dirty, draft-dodging hippies. Thanks, buddy."

I'm not trying to brag, but I am an awful nice looking woman who is only in my thirties, and my body is pretty upfront. It would take a cop with really terrible vision to think I was eligible for the draft, much less a dodger.

Thanks to everyone who broke down the initials for those who wondered. Mommy intercourse lol.

o

Look out for drivers with personalized license plates, bumper stickers, window decals etc.

Watch out for cars with bumper stickers.

That's the surprising conclusion of a recent study by Colorado State University social psychologist William Szlemko. Drivers of cars with bumper stickers, window decals, personalized license plates and other "territorial markers" not only get mad when someone cuts in their lane or is slow to respond to a changed traffic light, but they are far more likely than those who do not personalize their cars to use their vehicles to express rage -- by honking, tailgating and other aggressive behavior.

It does not seem to matter whether the messages on the stickers are about peace and love -- "Visualize World Peace," "My Kid Is an Honor Student" -- or angry and in your face -- "Don't Mess With Texas," "My Kid Beat Up Your Honor Student."

Hey, you clown! This ain't funny! Aggressive driving might be responsible for up to two-thirds of all U.S. traffic accidents that involve injuries.

Szlemko and his colleagues at Fort Collins found that people who personalize their cars acknowledge that they are aggressive drivers, but usually do not realize that they are reporting much higher levels of aggression than people whose cars do not have visible markers on their vehicles.

Drivers who do not personalize their cars get angry, too, Szlemko and his colleagues concluded in a paper they recently published in the Journal of Applied Social Psychology, but they don't act out their anger. They fume, mentally call the other driver a jerk, and move on.

"The more markers a car has, the more aggressively the person tends to drive when provoked," Szlemko said. "Just the presence of territory markers predicts the tendency to be an aggressive driver."

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

o

There are a lot of wackos and fanatics out there. A message displayed on a vehicle may cause vandalism, harassment, stalking etc.

o

Good points to remember, Markjames--thanks for posting.

o

When I buy a vehicle to use or resell one of the first things I do is to remove any bumper stickers, body/window decals, custom license plate frames etc.

o

My favorite license plate in town is 2XY-3XX

I hope none of you are offended by our autism ohio.org license plates. It doesn't draw attention to us, just a reminder that millions of kids and their families are struggling and suffering the challenges of autism.

o

I don’t know if the article I read some time ago is the same one MarkJames quotes, but I’ve read something similar to this somewhere before: "The more markers a car has, the more aggressively the person tends to drive when provoked," Szlemko said. "Just the presence of territory markers predicts the tendency to be an aggressive driver.”

Do I care if others want to sport this stuff? Not really, but I do find it at least passive aggressive, and I’m not keen on the distractions the decals present.

o

So I better watch out for the guy who has 9 Coexist decals on his car? :)

o

I hope there's a noted difference seen between "aggressively" and "defensively" when driving is the issue. The twain are not the same.

"And how many letters have you written to your Congressman about this? Evidently not enough.
But isn't this about vanity plates?"

If you're my Congressman, than you know how many times I've written. My question is... why haven't you done anything about it?

No... the issue is wrapped in vanity plates for this discussion, but it's about the need to keep separation between church and state!

The word ATHEIST is not offensive, and appears in the common dictionary as "a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being"... nor are letter abbreviations that can have multiple meanings to multiple people... nor should a commissioner, a public servant, be allowed to inject his personal life and religious opinion into his job by dictating what letters or words others can use publicly and what meaning they will hold as defined by him, personally.

Since we live quite off the beaten path of urban society, we don't have the same issues with bumper stickers or other signs eliciting such aggressive behavior from others. We've always had a sticker or two as decoration on our vehicles, and no matter how explicit, no one has ever taken out their personal opinion of such things on our car.

o

I don't think there's a difference among some of them.

This guy's car is pretty beat up, dented, banged, twisted, bumper bends, cracked windshield...I'd say he's pretty aggressive with the vehicle. Or do you think it's defensive driving.

o

I think if a woman wants to have a license plate that says 8theist she has every right to do so. But that does not mean I think that vanity plates of any kind are worth the trouble. They’re called “vanity” plates for a reason.

o

Always fun too when the bank robber's getaway car sports "Earl K" on the plate.

o

•Posted by markjames (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 9:05

There are a lot of wackos and fanatics out there. A message displayed on a vehicle may cause vandalism, harassment, stalking etc."

True. My friend has put three of those Darwin fish with legs on her car. They keep getting stolen. Gee, you don't suppose it's some bible thumper actually STEALING?

o

Someone's just an avid fish motif collector.

o

I pulled most of mine off after years of adornment.

Still have : 'Honk if you have poor impulse control', one of those European country ovals that says 'DUH', which is local humor, and a 'leave no trace'.

My son has an NRA one right beside a Sierra Club one. His theory is that it pretty much covers the bases around here, so when he leaves his car at a trail head to go climbing or backpacking, folks will leave it alone.

o

I've seen sports decals - especially Red Sox decals in New York cause anger, shouting, tailgating, hand gestures, vandalism etc.

Many with left leaning bumper stickers have had their vehicles vandalized as well.

IMO some of the most dangerous drivers are rednecks with the mudflap girl emblems on their 4x4 trucks.

o

yep, when I'm in FL I routinely pull off the road so the ole boy in the silly jacked-up truck can blast by me, burning more fuel in the process than I'll use getting to town and back….

and we wonder why alternative fuels are not taking over rapidly…

o

Have you noticed with those big jacked-up pickups an inverse correlation between the hight of the driver and the height of the truck?

It may just be a Colo phenomenon, but I do get a kick watching some 5'4" guy climbing down from one of those things.

o

I don't think so, david. What is (or was) the truck with "hips" and 4 back tires?

o

david, that was great! I had a Sgt. at the prison that was 5'2" that drove a truck that dwarfed my little Nizzan pickup. I don't think his truck ever carried anything but air. Someone set a milk crate next to his truck (as in a step up) and he was furious - sulked for a month. I'm 6'2" and knew better than to stand next to him (Psychology 101). Tried to tell tall inmates not to get too close to him when expressing a "Grievance". A few listened and were saved from his wrath.
I don't have vanity plates but do have 2 bumper stickers: "The Earth Is Not An Ashtray" (I am a smoker but I hate litter) and "End/Stop this War".

o

Short people seem to have a thing for big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs that they don't need since they don't haul or tow anything.

o

Well, maybe short guys, mark. I've never seen short women rushing to buy oversized vehicles.

Kate (who is 5'3")

o

Short people seem to have a thing for big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs

Not I (4'11").

I'd still be driving the original sub-sub-compact VW Beetle if they were around.

o

Sometimes I'm surprised - the few Hummers I see around town are all driven by women; how tall they might be, I don't know. Haven't seen a man in one of these examples yet.

Saw the big yellow one yesterday - woman with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a cellphone up to her ear. And all the while with the weather gods spitting on us again with more snow... but only 4" which is melting away nicely today.

o

"Short people seem to have a thing for big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs that they don't need since they don't haul or tow anything."

"Well, maybe short guys, mark. I've never seen short women rushing to buy oversized vehicles."

Since I am a gardener and a mom who did all the transportation for kids activities when needed I used to drool over trucks and SUVs but gave up the idea since I am 5'00" and DH thought it was a rebuke to him somehow. I stuffed kids in remorselessly when I had a VW Hatchback. Now the kids are grown and flown I have the SUV.

The only thing it helps is that I can shop just one day out of ten rather than more often.The people who help load my purchases have been known to react in shock that they have to find a spot for more. A new employee helped two nights ago. I use a scooter in the store. He put the groceries from the scooter into a regular cart and had stuff left over. He kept muttering to the clerk, "How did she get all that stuff in there? I hope she doesn't have a compact".

Believe it or not, short people do sometimes need larger vehicles.

I don't use vanity plates or stickers. They are an invitation to car damage.

o

Around here, the duelies (4 rear tires) are mostly ranch trucks, a legitimate vehicle for hauling big cattle trailers around.

What is sure to raise a bemused smile is seeing the $65,000 duelies hauling $100,000+ air-conditioned horse van around to the quarter horse shows and rodeos. Cowboys gotta evolve too, I guess.

o

•Posted by markjames (My Page) on Fri, Apr 25, 14 at 14:58

"Short people seem to have a thing for big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs that they don't need since they don't haul or tow anything."

Maybe not, MJ. Maybe short guys with big trucks just stand out because of the size contrast. I doubt there's been a study on this. Oh wait, here's one linked:

"A new study conducted by the National Research Panel has concluded that men who drive large trucks, SUVs, and automobiles have smaller genitalia than men who drive small to medium sized vehicles..."

Here is a link that might be useful: Little Guys Drive Big Trucks

o

If we could afford vanity plates, I sure wouldn't want someone else's narrow minded sense of righteousness interfering with my choice of lettering... which surely wouldn't be offensive to the average thinking person with common sense.

People don't generally mess with other people's vehicles out here in the boonies... and certainly not over something as silly as a sticker. If someone does, it's a personal vendetta... not bumper sticker dislike.

Why would anyone use their personal vehicle in the commitment of a crime? Prisons truly are filled with stupid people... all of whom were caught.

o

Many of the local minivan moms transitioned from minivans to full sized SUVs.

Many claim they need the room and AWD although we live, work and travel in areas with much steeper hills and much more snow with our 2WD vehicles with no problems.

Many we know that don't haul anything, or tow anything, plus commute 70/80/90 plus miles per day solo drive big gas guzzling trucks and SUVs.

Tires alone for these gas guzzlers cost an arm and a leg, plus the big aggressive tread and aggressive driving really kills fuel economy.

We have a customer with a 4X4 specialty shop that's busy, busy, busy customizing big jacked up trucks.

With the money many spend on these things, it's no wonder so many in their late twenties on up still live at home.

o

Funny how things have changed. Back when gas first hit $3 per gallon you could score some really good deals on gas guzzlers since so many were getting rid of them and so few were buying them.

Now that gas is much more money and the personal finances of many are much worse the gas guzzling trucks and SUVs are selling like hotcakes, at least in the North Country.

o

Priorities, Markjames. Most people could probably get through the day without a cell phone too, IMO.

o

Most of those 20-something guys with the massive trucks are making car payments, which means they have to have comprehensive insurance, which makes the tires look cheap.

Oh, and you need the fancy rims, which, if you shop at RIMCO or one of those outfits, will sell them to you with convenient monthly payments, $1600 worth of rims at 22% interest for 5 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here