Return to the Hot Topics Forum

o
Program in NY offers Running Start for Homeless

Posted by markjames (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 14, 12 at 17:54

NEW YORK Some homeless Americans are getting a running start on creating new lives.

The Back on My Feet program spurs them into instant action in nine cities with a simple plan: Go for a run at dawn.

Those who do it three times a week for a month are then offered job training, education and whatever else it takes "to get my life back," says Albert Davis, 20, a native of Alabama who lives in a Manhattan shelter.

On a nippy spring morning in Central Park, he joined about 50 runners plus volunteer mentors covering a mile to Times Square. Some breezed along, others struggled. But somehow, they all made it to the New York Marriott Marquis, where they met corporate sponsors for breakfast. The Marriott chain has employed dozens of formerly homeless people in its hotels.

"This is not a running club it's the beginning of a new, different life," a teary-eyed LaTonya Golden told the healthy breakfast gathering. She ended up homeless and penniless after losing her job in Detroit's auto industry a few years ago, followed by her house and car.

Running is just the first step we take to create a brand new identity for people," says Mahlum. "You acquire the persistence and responsibility that allow you to start again."

Back on My Feet also has helped place members in jobs with companies like Enterprise and Bimbo Bakeries, in restaurants and call centers, or doing maintenance, plumbing, carpeting and security work.

"Trying to help people who are homeless get back on their feet takes a multifaceted approach, and you're not exactly sure what will work," says Seth Diamond, New York's commissioner for homeless services, which works with Mahlum to recruit participants at five New York shelters.

Of 400 Back on My Feet participants across the country, about half have moved on to independent living.

Besides running, I'd suggest some push-ups, pull-ups and sit-ups.

Here is a link that might be useful: Program in NY offers Running Start for homeless

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Program in NY offers Running Start for Homeless

I guess for markjames to be truly happy about the program would be if the Marriott breakfast consisted of a jug full of GNC supplements too.

o

Great story. Private charitable enterprises do some wonderful things...

o

I guess for markjames to be truly happy about the program would be if the Marriott breakfast consisted of a jug full of GNC supplements too.

No way. I can't stand GNC. Their stores have incredibly poor selection and their prices are insanely high. I can't stand their buy X to get X discounts promotions, nor club members only discounts.

Other than Micronized Creatine (Creapure from Germany) and Whey Protein, most athletic supplements are marketing scams, or even dangerous.

Good nutrition, hydration, proper resistance/aerobic training, proper recuperation and adequate sleep are much more important.

Locally, many job seekers are in fairly decent shape endurance wise, but they lack the strength necessary to pass pre-employment physical assessments of many well paying jobs.

They need resistance training which is extremely important as people age due to Sarcopenia.

o

This is a wonderful thing. Thanks for informing us markjames.

o

Good idea good story, but added suggestions incentive.

markjames, are you thinking through the entire situation. They are homeless and being under nourished strength would probably be very low. It sounds like there is never enough to get help after suffering so much loss and trying to get back on their feet.

Thank goodness the organizers of this helpful event are not as harsh and try to set the bar so high to make it unattainable.

o

Good point, Marq. We sure don't want anyone to hurt themselves! Maybe it's a "tough love" thing?

o

The program itself is arrogant enough but then the political side jab at the stereotype of an unemployed, homeless, overweight, union auto worker in Detroit (which suggests race as well) is disgusting.

Focus on your own bloatware.

o

I think it's a good program - gives participants a chance to run toward something.

My point was -and forgive me, markjames, if I've been reading you wrong - but your posts emerge as a profile of someone lacking compassion for those with lesser gifts.

o
Empathy

heri_cles you do make a good point. He could stand to miss a few meals and do a some push ups.

Elvis it would not be hurting themselves it would be not being physically able to do.....You know how old people think they are running when they are really walking fast. The body can do just so much.

o

Posted by heri_cles 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 14:27

Focus on your own bloatware.

Okay, I agree.

Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her?

See what happens when you go to the gutter, Heri.

o

I just call it like I see it, floyd.
You can try to counterpunch all day,
but it is what it is and what I said it is.
arrogant and disgusting.
Chris Christie is a politician and is open to criticism.
Anyway, why should homeless, hungry and probably sick people who do not even have healthcare and have not seen a doctor in years have to run while he pigs out and has government healthcare?
Michelle is a politician's wife and anyway your comment about the first Lady's "backside"
(you mean like black women have bubble butts? ha-ha-ha..)
was over the top.

o

Chris Christie is fat as a big ole sowbelly; no doubt about it.

Marq--you're so right about the running thing!

Heri, can't imagine why you call the OP program arrogant?

o

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 17:10

.... you are comparing the beautiful and shapely (and in shape) first lady with the above overweight gentleman. Really ?

o

I don't post here much but I once found myself in some extenuating circumstances that left me and my infant homeless so the topic caught my eye. My experience was during the recession we had in the 80's and fortunately, we were in California where the weather is much more forgiving. I can't imagine what some of the homeless go through in the colder climates.

I want to thank the OP for sharing this heartwarming story. We live 40 miles north of Detroit and I am so happy to read about a displaced auto worker who's back on her feet and doing well; it's too bad there isn't a similar program available here.

Seriously, to criticize this program in any way is such a disservice to those in need. It doesn't matter what ethnicity, age, or size a homeless person is, homelessness comes in all forms and can happen to anyone. And making someone earn an opportunity isn't a bad thing either. Nothing is free or owed in life. There are so many other things they could expect these people to do (like community service projects) yet all that's required is to run a mile and challenge themselves a bit. That helps to show they have some tenacity and will stick with it once a job comes his/her way. I suspect adjusting to the structure of a job may be challenging for some and this is a positive way of having some equity in the process. I also believe that if someone was sincerely interested but physically unable to run other options would be considered. Another added benefit, it helps with self esteem which is sorely needed when you're homeless.

When I was trying to get back on my feet, the last thing I wanted was handouts or freebies; I just wanted a fair shake which was damn near impossible when one lacks a permanent mailing address. Employers didn't understand the concept of homelessness and regardless of the fact that I had never drank, taken drugs or been arrested, trust was a huge problem. In their eyes, to be in the situation I was in had to have meant that I had done something wrong. At the very least, these potential employers are aware of each persons situation and accepting of the circumstances which is a huge hurdle these people don't have to over come. I was determined and eventually secured a job but it took a while. It also took a while to save for an apartment and make it back into a home with my daughter. The situation would have been so much easier to over come if a program like this had been available.

o

In a great many eyes, not just employers, you would have been seen as having done something wrong or, at least, make such poor choices that you landed yourself in that position and thus, kinda deserve it.

I congratulate you for having gotten back on your feet in a struggle which can be made even worse by all the disapproving eyes which judge you as you try.

I wish you well, these programs and any programs which gives one a hand which pulls UP in the right direction and then other programs which keep offering a hand which pulls UP is what makes it possible for the homeless to have a home, a job, a decent life and your child a decent life.

I wish you continued success in your life!

You might not want to read in here too much, for someone with your background, it might be a bit much for you to take.

You have managed to accomplish what a great deal of those resentful of the homeless could never get through were they ever in your shoes.

You have my greatest admiration.

I don't know how old your child is now, but she has a mother who is very well rounded, knowledgable, compassionate, experienced in life and what it brings and most especially and maybe most importantly, empathetic.

She is most fortunate to have you as her mother.

o

lukkiiirish said;

We live 40 miles north of Detroit and I am so happy to read about a displaced auto worker .I once found myself in some extenuating circumstances that left me and my infant homeless It also took a while to save for an apartment and make it back into a home with my daughter. The situation would have been so much easier to over come if a program like this had been available.

Yes, clearly the prospect of running a couple of times a week for a few miles is just what unemployed, homeless young mothers with infants need to be doing!
And lookie, you're from Detroit as well (althogh that's not zone 10). "Freebies" mhuh? yes, indeed, that's the exact description of welfare that some others here often use. How coincidental.
Well maybe you're right man, these freebie loader welfare queens need to get on the track and prove themselves!
We can no longer afford this out of control government spending, Right?
The gall...

o

Heri, I've heard the term "freebies" used for govt. help all my life. It has always been one of the derogatory terme for food stamps, Section 8 etc.

I wouldn't know about the zone 10 and 40 miles north of Detroit, but I do know that "freebies" is a country wide term used, not just in this forum.

I got the impression that she was saying ANY helping hand held up was not to be dismissed, not that she thought this particular one was the only way to go.

I do admit, I might be wrong. I tend to think positively until I find out I'm mistaken, sometimes that actually is with a first post, certainly by a year I have a handle on a person - but I didn't get any bad vibes from this person. She sounded authentic to me.

Maybe she can explain the zone 10, north of Detroit herself, if she is genuine then there must be an explaination. Maybe an old sign in name from a different place she lived? I don't know.

o

I had to do a search on that M. Obama comment. I had not heard that one. I had always seen healthy and living exercise. Nothing but praise for her good taste in cloths and arms to die for.

As I thought....it had to be a Republican Male looking at her rear.

Demi, even he apologized I think you should follow your leaders......

Republican Congressman Insults Michelle Obama's Rear End Jim Sensenbrenner puts his foot in his mouth, big time. Date: 12/23/2011

Bipartisanship has become a quaint and outdated a word in Washington these days, but one thing both sides of the political debate have always been able to agree on is that Michelle Obama has a bangin' bod.

That's why Democrats and Republicans were left scratching their heads recently when conservative congressman Jim Sensenbrenner complained to everyone gathered at a Delta lounge in Reagan National Airport about the First Lady's "large posterior."

Sensenbrenner (or should we start calling him Nonsensenbrenner?) told a colleague over the phone that Mrs. Obama should practice what she preaches about healthy eating and exercise: "She lectures us on eating right while she has a large posterior herself," he said a little too loudly.

Perhaps realizing that many Americans like big butts and they cannot lie (and that the First Lady's derriere is likely to poll very favorably), Nonsensenbrenner issued an apology (via Politico.com):

"I regret my inappropriate comment and I have sent a personal note to the first lady apologizing."

o

If you'll notice, my comment was making a point to Heri about how no one would like the other side doing what he did with his going to the gutter with Chris Christy.

o

Maybe lukiirish moved to the Detroit area and didn't change her Member profile.

I would not blame her if she didn't re-appear. Nice welcome, Heri. If your suspicions are unfounded, you did a great disservice. If you are right, what did you accomplish?

o

If you'll notice, my comment was making a point to Heri about how no one would like the other side doing what he did with his going to the gutter with Chris Christy.

Demi, what point would that be? It makes no sense. Michelle Obama is in great shape and has a lovely figure including a toned derriere. There were plenty of other more noticeable ways to make your point than mocking the first lady who publically advocates healthy eating and exercise (something she practices as well as preaches) and equating her with Chris Christie who is morbidly obese. There is no noticeable point. You simply seized the opportunity to take a shallow swipe at Michelle Obama.

o

Posted by epiphyticlvr (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 12 at 21:30

You simply seized the opportunity to take a shallow swipe at Michelle Obama.

I pointed out hypocrisy and a double standard about being nasty about people's appearances, and you are proving me right.

o

Demi

If that response helps you look in the mirror that is ok. You realize what you said was wrong. As do others regardless of their political views. We all know it was not a legitimate response.

Heri - truth
Demi - gutter

o
hypocrisy

No difference.

I pointed it out.

There are people who who THRIVE on saying nasty things about other posters and political figures they do not agree with--not matters of content and disagreement, but personal matters.

When I point it out, or defend myself from attacks, I'm accused of being in the gutter.

No way.

Heri posted a picture of Chris Christy and I asked if he was willing to post a picture of Michelle Obama.

They're no different and I made my point.

I really don't care what the rest of you think, as you there are agendas here and very few are fair.

o

I saw a segment on Today about this. What a great collaboration between homeless agencies and corporate entities brought together by one person who had a passion for something.

No, this will not feed and clothe people or work for everybody but for those it does...wow! I can speak to the power of running...the mental part of building character, discipline, confidence etc outweighs the physical by a million miles. It gives you power and is "moving forward".

I think it is great.

o

I pointed out hypocrisy and a double standard about being nasty about people's appearances, and you are proving me right.

Nonsense. That statement makes no sense either. There is nothing you wrote about Michelle Obama that has a modicum of truth and then you took it beyond just her appearance. You also took the opportunity to mock what she advocates.

o

No, I don't mock what she advocates.

That's her right.

It's also the right of people to be fat if they want.

Including Chris Christy.

o

Demi stop you cannot defend this you said.....

Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her?

You did not say
Heri posted a picture of Chris Christy and I asked if he was willing to post a picture of Michelle Obama.

Notice how you are trying to clean it up. Next you will say you only said post a pic of the President's Wife.

Each time you will try to clean up the comment instead of apologizing and admit the statement was gutter. When you are wrong you are wrong.

o

I do hope lukiirish posts again. That was a nice supportive post you responded with, Myl.

And Heri, unless you know something about this poster that you're not sharing, you really shouldn't have been hostile toward her. That was very uncool.

o
Accuracy

Of course I said her backside.

She's not big all over like Chris Christy.

You people are SO predictable.

Like shooting fish in a barrel.

o
duh

BTW--that was my ENTIRE POINT-- I DID SAY IT WAS GUTTER when I posted, pointing out that that's where Heri went and who does it feel when someone does it from the other side!

o
RE: Program offers Running Start for Homeless

Well, Demi--I guess you can pretty much tell how they feel about the big butt remark. They're really P.O.'d at you!

Back talking about the subject of the OP, why do you say that the program is arrogant, Heri? A couple of posters have expressed their admiration for this program...what do you see as arrogant about it?

And am I the only one wondering why you lashed out at that poster lukiirish?

o

Spare yourself the concern, Elvis -- Lukkiirish has been here far longer than you have; like most adults she can take whatever folks dish out on a message board.

Nice job, Demi - on a relatively short thread you've already got about 25 posts devoted solely to yourself, which may be a record even for you.

By the by, I have no idea why saying a fat man is a fat man betokens "the gutter", but one could be forgiven for inferring that random references to Mrs. Obama's bottom is nothing short of Tourette's.

Markjames, do you know if there are any relatively unbiased sources for broader statistical information on this kind of corporate 'charity' event? Specifically including things like attrition vs. rates of success? It strikes me as the sort of thing that makes for great PR but fizzles for the actual participants after it drops them (although I'd happily be proven wrong).

o

And am I the only one wondering why you lashed out at that poster lukiirish?

It's a common forum degeneration, seen it a million times. Eventually, a forum that carries a lot of hostility and malice towards each other eventually reaches a point where it falls into several behaviours that render it just a flame forum.

One of those behaviours is this paranoia that new posters are actually old members reincarnated or a current rival member's sock puppet. If they hold a favourable opinion, they are considered a new member. If they do not agree with your views, they are a sock puppet of another member. Usually the old hats hold up writing styles or familiar phrases as proof that the new member is actually a sock puppet.

o

First of all, Hamilton, thanks for explaning that. Paranoia, huh? That fits.

CP, oh okay; you can tell she's an imposter. She sure fooled Myl and me. I hope you're right; knowing she deserved that makes it okay, I guess.

o

Okay Demi if you thought Heri was gutter and you had to go gutter also.....If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas. I would say you are pretty flea infested.

Do you feel vindicated?

Elvis you remind me of the little kid that was scared of its shadow but stood back and told everybody. Hit, her, Hit her or I would not take that...... lol

o

CP, oh okay; you can tell she's an imposter. She sure fooled Myl and me. I hope you're right; knowing she deserved that makes it okay, I guess.

Elvis, I think CP meant that lukiirish is a longtime member (from 2008 according to her page) even if she is a new member on THIS forum. I don't think it was meant that luk is an imposter.

o

Thanks, Hamilton. That's reassuring.

Anyway, this charity sounds like a supernice thing to do.

o

"And making someone earn an opportunity isn't a bad thing either."

"...all that's required is to run a mile and challenge themselves a bit. That helps to show they have some tenacity and will stick with it once a job comes his/her way."

Lukiirish nails it!

"Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her? "

Thanks for the chuckle, Demi!

Michelle could do a lot for obese poor people by urging her husband to call for a revamp of SNAP. With choices limited to "healthy" foods we might have fewer obese people to worry about. You know. No more chips and sodas on the taxpayer's dime.

o

Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 8:45

Nik although I agree with you about "snap", can you imagine the outrage ? Look at the negative feedback Michelle Obama got for growing a garden.

I can hear/read it now ... "government should not be telling people what they can and cannot eat".

You do not have to agree with me, but I know I have read/heard this before right on this forum.

o

Elvis, I don't even pretend to understand your gibberish response. I meant exactly what I wrote: Lukkiirish has been a member of this forum (both Gardenweb and Hot Topics) for many years, and neither she (nor anyone else here) needs you following her around clucking in false piety about others being "mean" to her, like some kind of grade-schooler. I find it tedious as hell. Clearer?

o

Ohiomom, you have addressed a good point that happens continually. If he was to support the revamp SNAP it would be the worst program E--ver. Faux News went on and on with Sarah Palin in step talking about trying tell people not to give their kids desert.

The backside comment that was a repeat comment that came from a "Rep Congressman" because "She lectures us on eating right while she has a large posterior herself," he said a little too loudly."

It does not matter what the President or his wife does it will be hated. They are Democrats so it has to be wrong. It does not matter if it is good for the country or the children.

I am happy NY is trying to help the homeless get on their feet.

o

Mylab123, Thank you for your response and kind words. I feel very fortunate that I survived the ordeal I went through and thankfully, my daughter has no memory of it or her real father. She's 34 now and the reason we live in Michigan. She and her husband moved here first; then 6 years ago, her step dad and I relocated from SoCal so we could all be together. We're all very close. Beautiful doesn't describe the area we live in. Its wooded, full of lakes and wildlife. Very different from the concrete jungle of SoCal and while its still not paradise, we like it.

Elvis, thank you as well for your kindness. Like Circus says, I've been in the forums for a long time but I do appreciate that you spoke up. Hiri's comment was really uncalled for and I have to admit this forum is a lot more harsh than the one I'm used to; that's why I don't come here often.

In regards to the Zone, they don't have that field on the Home side so I didn't notice it when I wrote my original post. But since I'm not a gardener, I have no clue what or where a Zone 10 is. It may be hard for some of the more suspecting minds here to believe but I had nothing to do with it, it was just there when I wrote my post.

Hiri, You know, I hate people like you because your ignorance is so over whelming. It's sure easy to judge and draw conclusions about a topic you obviously know nothing about and I'd be willing to bet you'd never think about getting off your derriere to help someone in need. It's obvious from just your one post that there is no joy about you. I have no interest in your hateful opinions or thoughts.

Sometimes we make choices and don't know it's a bad choice until it's too late. I don't think anyone is exempt from that as it's just a part of life. In the end, its really all about how a person handles the results of those choices and chooses to correct an issue that matters. Learning from the experience, forgiveness and looking forward are also key to a happy ending.

o

Just an FYI - Zone 10 appears to be GardenWeb's default zone when the member doesn't add one.

o

"Nik although I agree with you about "snap", can you imagine the outrage ?"

I can. But who cares? This administration knows how to ignore public outrage when our health is on the line.

They created Obamacare to determine what size healthcare subsidy every individual should get from government. The coming Obamacare database will include lots of personal information about us, including just how much each of us weighs. With that resource government would actually be able to decide what foods it will or will not subsidize for individuals.

But it wouldn't have to be that intrusive. Just ending subsidies for unhealthy food under SNAP would be in everyone's best interests. The savings in healthier people and taking away cupcakes from fat people could go right back into funding Obamacare.

o

lukkiirish, you should feel very proud to go through something like that and come out on the better side. It takes a very strong person. I would hope I had that kind of strength.

I am curious what did you do with your daughter when you found a job? Did they have any programs back then to help?

o

lukkiirish said:
I don't post here much but I once found myself in some extenuating circumstances that left me and my infant homeless so the topic caught my eye. Hiri, You know, I hate people like you because your ignorance is so over whelming. It's sure easy to judge and draw conclusions about a topic you obviously know nothing about and I'd be willing to bet you'd never think about getting off your derriere to help someone in need.

OK, you hate people like me, so you must feel you know enough about me to hate. I don't hate anyone myself, but I am kind of interested to know some things about your politics, so I can kind of get an idea where you are coming from.

In order to get an idea about your political opinions, I searched on HT to find other posts by you over the last several years and I don't see any...not even one, not here or at any GW forum.

Now, I don't want to respond to you in kind which would be inappropriate, but let me ask you a few questions about your claims here and about your political orientation, which I think is fair given your last post. (and please, no more personal attacks in response, as those are not permitted on this forum).

How old was your infant when you were homeless. Who would you have watched your infant while you were running? How would you have afforded running shoes if you could not afford food and shelter? Were you overweight, out of condition, or lethargic/lazy back then? if so, dis those things contribute to you being unemployed, or was it the Recession in the 1980's that
was the cause?

Now, will you be voting for Mitt Romney, and if so why or why not? Do you support Republican efforts to curtail or eliminate social programs (freebies) including Medicaid?

Do you agree with the Republican effort to remove contraceptive health care benefits from employer health care policies?
And finally, are you in favor of a woman's right to choose in accordance with the parameters in the current law?

o

I've experienced homelessness, myself, with a husband and 3 children... so we know what's it's like... luckily, we have some extremely awesome friends that would do anything to help... just as we have offered our home in the past to others when they've been down on luck. What goes around, does come around.

There shouldn't need to be any qualifiers, like running, in order to obtain the help one needs to get back on their feet. It's a given that not everyone will be physically able to run, which automatically pulls a lot of people out the running for such programs, no pun intended, whatsoever.

I must admit, having spent a good deal of time interacting on this forum, that markjames does come across at times with certain negative stereotypical remarks that would lead one to believe certain things about him and about his thought processes. All the same, he seems to have no issue accepting those rent checks and monies, regardless of all the things he notes about his renters.

One would think, if he were unhappy because of the types of persons he reports he deals with, he would do the obvious and exchange locations, and buy higher quality residences to rent, with higher rents and a better "class" of renters.

No offense to markjames, but that's simply how he comes off, the impression he gives, in a majority of his postings. And I don't think I'm the only one who notices it.

It's my opinion that a lot of these people proposing these programs, that come with exceptions or qualifiers, are not at all in touch with the reality of being homeless, for example, or dealing with the issues that often accompany being homeless and jobless.

If you're going to help someone, then simply help someone. Why should you need to set a bar, a hurdle to jump, in order to separate people into categories of deserving of the help... or not? So, if I can't run... if I cannot physically perform the seal tricks you want, then I'm not deserving of the help? That's not right.

But how much of what we see and hear in today's world is? Right, that is...

o

Well, after this reception, I can see why new members keep running away...lol! That's a heck of a welcome, isn't it?

Heri, I know you're suspicious but when I did a quick look, I see pages of posts of lukkiirish's on gardenweb. There are even a lot of people asking her questions (so I assume she's some sort of home decorating guru).

So why don't we stop looking for reasons to undermine her or try to cast doubts on her credibility and just accept that she has an opinion that differs from some others?

Anyhoo, linky linky below.

Here is a link that might be useful: lukkiirish on gardenweb

o

Chase:

I am not trying to 'undermine', nor have i expressed hatred for this poster. I see that you continue to stalk my posts with your usual nit picking, but there is no point to it, other than proving that you are hounding me.

As far as this person's prior posting, she admitted to not posting here much. Her postings about home decor are not helpful, nor are the Google links you posted.

Thus my questions to lukkiirish stand. I am simply seeking answers to questions on political issues, if that is alright with you.

o

heri_cles,

I don't post here very often. So what! I lurk here every day. And other forums. No one is stalking or hounding you. lukkirish doesn't owe you an answer to any of your questions.

lynn

o
Here we go!

I see you still like to insinuate that Chase and I are the same person.

See Elvis? Here is a good example for you. Heri has implied in the past that Chase and I are the same poster and continues to reinforce it any time either of us dare contradict him.

It's like the Jerry Springer forum!

o
RE: Progrddm in NY offers Running Start for Homeless

Heri has implied in the past that Chase and I are the same poster and continues to reinforce it any time either of us dare contradict him.

As far as you and chase, it is the similarity, substance and often the timing of your posts which sometimes creates confusion as to who is whom.

Whoever you are, please just let lukkiirish choose whether or not to respond to some questions instead of needlessly piling on to some of the anger and hatred that has come through here.

o

heri, you said:
In order to get an idea about your political opinions, I searched on HT to find other posts by you over the last several years and I don't see any...not even one, not here or at any GW forum.

Since you implied that lukki has not been on any forum on GW, I think HG was just pointing out that lukki has been on the decorating forum for a long time. I've been on the decorating forum for several years and she was there before me.

o
Don't go breakin' my heart

needlessly piling on to some of the anger and hatred that has come through here

Anger and hatred are your style. Not mine.

I like to watch your rantings. They amuse me. Please continue.

o
Home Decor

I've been on the decorating forum for several years and she was there before me.

So was I right? She is some kind of home decorating guru?

I saw a lot of question directed at her about colours and palettes and styles 'n' stuff.

o

"It's like the Jerry Springer forum!"

Wilber Ray Joe? You ARRRRRRE the Father!!!?!

o

No S---, Ham. It's kuhrayzee.

I wondered about the "chase:" thing; scrolled all over the place to see where I missed Chase's post, LOL.

So you've seen this kind of confusion before. This explains why every once in a while Jodi would say something about deja vu and speech patterns, and one or two others would agree. It was very mysterious. So could be I'm thought to be more than one person, too. How fun! Who could I be besides me? Hmmmm.

o

I used to be active on the home decorating forum years ago and pop in once a week or so now just to look for a few minutes.

I recall seeing lukkiirish in many posts over the last year/years, although I can't say that I know this person.

But this poster HAS been active on GW for awhile.

Lukkirrish, don't let this business keep you away from here!

o

Wilber Ray Joe? You ARRRRRRE the Father!!!?!

More like the two girls and two guys on stage, all trying to get at each other, screaming, Jerry's security trying to stand between them, and so many expletives it's just one long string of beeps. Meanwhile, nobody hears what the other is saying. It's like standing there with their fingers in their ears going "Lalalalalalalalalala"

Who dun who wrong, Jerry? An' why ain't he paying my child support?

A couple of groupies taking off their tops. "Jerry! Jerry!"

o

lukkiirish:

"In regards to the Zone, they don't have that field on the Home side so I didn't notice it when I wrote my original post."

There are at least two aspects of Gardenweb.com. One is here on the Garden forums, the other is the Home forums. If you go to the top of this page and place your mouse cursor on the link marked "forums" you'll see what I mean.

If you go to the Home forum and search for lukkiirish, she's there.

lukkiirish, feel free to ignore Heri. Everyone here will understand, I'm sure.

Unless, like many of us,

"I like to watch your rantings. They amuse me. Please continue."

you can join in the fun.

If you don't let anyone get under your skin, it's a very entertaining place to be.

And poor Markjames. Anyone who can take care of themselves is naturally fodder for the cannons around here. Sounds like a nice program you posted about. Too bad we can't discuss it. Par for the course around here.

Welcome,lukkiirish!!!

Hay

o
RE: Jerry Springer Visits HT....again

Ham: "...with their fingers in their ears going..."

Bizarre! I almost posted the exact thing! Great Lala, Batman! Maybe I'm Chase, too. :0

o
Musical chairs

Bizarre! I almost posted the exact thing! Great Lala, Batman! Maybe I'm Chase, too. :0

You can be Chase for a while now. I need to be Marshallz. There is a lot of work to be done in the garden and I need his expertise.

After that I am going to be Bill Vincent for a bit cause I think we need to do a little bathroom renovation.

Hay, you get to be David52 for a while, OK?

David, you'll have to inhabit Jodik's body.

Jodi, you'll have to smoke a big fat doob and just float around in the universe for a while because we don't have an available body for you yet.

o

ROTF HG.

o

Pretty good :-)

o

"Hay, you get to be David52 for a while, OK?"

Sorry, but I'm all booked up.

Between Swanz, flyboy, pete, struwwelpeter and a couple of other names I can't recall right now, I'm pretty busy already.

The hard part is keeping them all straight!!! It gets to be overwhelming at times. If you throw in all the names I go under that are attributed to Swanz, you can see I have too much on my plate already.

Hay, aka, swanz, Hot50, pete, flyboy and struwwelpeter. (I hope I didn't leave anyone out.)

o

I await a response to my questions to lukkiirsh, which are legitimate. I never suggested lulliirish was another poster, just that I never recalled seeing her post here or on any other forum. I know understand she has posted on some decorating or remodelling forum.

As far as the some of the rest that complain about being mistaken for other posters, did it ever occur to you that repetition of Right Wing talking points kind of makes it hard to distinguish one from another? It all kind of sounds the same like many of the Foxboxes I encounter every day.

On the issue of entitlements and welfare, why would anyone expect anything different from the Right than stressing "personal responsibility," decrying "freebies" and sprinkling that with the usual suggestion of laziness and even a dog whistle using an unemployed Detroit autoworker named LaTonya to try and support a larger ideological position regarding welfare and "entitlements."

Now, can all of you breathless Rightists send an email to Chris Christie and ask him to take personal responsibility for his morbid obesity? How can a Governor who looks like that ask homeless people to run a mile three times a week?

Hamiltongardner said:

Jodi, you'll have to smoke a big fat doob and just float around in the universe for a while because we don't have an available body for you yet.

That sounds like it is personal.

o

Lukki is working....working....working....I'll respond later.

o

Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 18:36

What were we talking about again ? Oh yes the program that has a 50% chance of failure or success, depends on if your glass is half empty or half full.

The 20 year old probly' had little problem with it, someone who is hardcore addict/alcoholic and been on the street for awhile doubtful. Course the 20 year old went from foster care to a shelter, so not sure if he/she counts as one of the true homeless ?

Nice to see anyone give a hand up, instead of slapping down someone with that hand instead.

I am for it....

o

I just had to say -- I would pay BIG BUCKS to be Bill even for just a short period of time. Or even better have my DH be Bill (manual labor and I don't really get along very well). I am in desparate need of having all tile redone in my master bathroom, and I've seen Bill's work over on the decorating side.

I know, maybe I can get the government to pay for Bill to come down to NJ and do it for me? Just kidding...

o

What's new, Heri? I've been stalked and insulted on a personal level by the same group since I began posting here. Good thing I can actually form my own opinions, coherent postings, and have a skin thicker than a piece of tracing paper, no?

It's gotten to the point just beyond ludicrous. I despise ratting anyone out, but lately, I've begun to think it's the right thing to do. Rules are rules, and if no one follows them, why even bother to have them?

Everyone makes their own impression through the collective of what they write here, whether they realize it or not.

And as to what you said about not being able to tell one from another, when one leaves and another suddenly appears out of the blue with the same wording, same MO, and follows the same person or persons around throwing catfish doughballs and insults, what's the most logical conclusion to draw? The same one you're drawing.

And.. another thread bites the dust. Good grief.

o

I agree, OM, it's nice to see a hand up; however they do it. Sounds harmless enough.

o

What's new, Heri? I've been stalked and insulted on a personal level by the same group since I began posting here.

I'm sorry you took that doob reference as "stalking" or a personal comment Jodi. You and I have always been on the same side when it comes to legalizing marijuana, we both support it and neither of us have ever hid that fact.

Not sure if you took it as an insult just because Heri suggested it was, but since we have always approved of the legalization , I don't see how you can take offense to that.

o
Poor Heri getting picked on

Heri As far as the some of the rest that complain about being mistaken for other posters, did it ever occur to you that repetition of Right Wing talking points kind of makes it hard to distinguish one from another?

Yeahhh, because Chase and I are model rightwing posters... lol!

Oh Chase, it's too bad you're missing this. It gets better and better.

So Heri, since you share the common repetition of "You're stalking me" and "You're all just right wing sock puppets" with several others on this forum, does that mean you are all the same person?

Everyone is just a double ID of another poster... I guess this is the projection you always talk about.

Let's see how many people come in here with the "victimhood" chant. They're all being picked on but never started the problem. We can count the Heri sockpuppets!

o

Uh-oh. Ham, I wanted to say the exact same thing, but I didn't want Jodi to think I was picking on her...you know, the thing about everyone "Left Wing" looking alike. Also, that statement of Heri's was bigoted, and I sure don't wan to do that, so...

Does this mean I am you? Or am I Chase? But Chase doesn't think like me...

But! That could be an evil ruse to throw them off the scent.

o

Heri, ........ You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

Not sure what is more bizarre.....the thought that HG and I are one and the same or that we are right wingers !!!

o

Posted by chase z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 16, 12 at 22:26

Heri, ........ You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!

Not sure what is more bizarre.....the thought that HG and I are one and the same or that we are right wingers !!!

What is bizarre is that I'm wondering whether you knew that by heart or had to look it up.

;)

o

you know, the thing about everyone "Left Wing" looking alike.

Well, you are correct in that. I'll admit it. Left wing talking points are as similar to each other as right wing talking points. But that's to be expected, I find the whole "talking points" dismissal of other people's beliefs to be silly.

As an example, I advocate universal health care and have certain arguments in favour of it. There are many other people who agree with those same reasons I agree with.

To call them left wing "talking points" is very dismissive and intellectually lazy, in my view, to not seriously consider the reasons. They don't have to be accepted, but they should be considered and weighed against the alternatives. They should be accepted as valid, if not accepted as the proper course of action.

And I'll be fair. If I expect others to consider and fairly weigh my arguments, then I have to give the same courtesy to those on the right wing. I may not agree that they are the correct courses of action, but I have considered and weighed all the right wing reasons against universal healthcare that I have been presented with.

o
@@@@@@Program in NY offers Running Start for Homeless

Of course I looked it up .......but you know that.

By the way Demi, that comment about your First Lady demonstrated a lack
of class that ,until now, I had never associated with you.

She it's your First Lady and the comment had a particularly offensive element to it.

Explain it away as you will but it was in very poor taste.

o
hamilton gardener

I think you're the most fair poster on this forum, HG.

You made some excellent and salient points.

o
Republican forever!

Let's see.

We defend universal healthcare, gay marriage and equality, social safety nets for the poor and disabled, and both belong to the "Anyone But Harper" bandwagon.

I can totally see where we could be mistaken for Tea Party members.

o
RE: The B Word

Chase, it's not a big deal. Demi chose her words poorly, IMO, but let's face it. Everybody knows EXACTLY which part of anatomy we're talking about. Demi just blurted it out.

I've seen way worse on this Forum, and so have you; get over it, will ya?

o

I made a point, chase, and have nothing to defend.

Heri posted a huge picture of an obese Chris Christy (which I've said I had concerns about his lack of discipline to be that obese although I agree with him on many subjects) and I've seen Lily go off on Sarah Palin and others making numerous personal comments about conservatives' bodies and appearances.

I asked Heri if he was willing to post a photo of Michelle Obama with the same type of information (why I referenced Mrs. Obama's efforts to reduce obesity).

It's perfectly legitimate, but then I figure although none of you complain when you bring up physical characteristics of conservatives, you just can't post fast enough to call me names, demand apologies, and call me classless.

I thought the post was rather innocuous.
Facts are facts, you know.

If it makes you feel better, Barbara Bush has a terrible sagging and double chin.

So it's not personal, and it's not political.

I've conducted myself with way more class than most posters here these last few years.

Couch it as you like, but the hypocrisy of you not calling out Lily or others for their intentionally mean and degrading comments negates your opinion of my making a point about Heri going to the gutter.

o

Well deserved. Chase is a cranky lady tonight :-0

o

Marquest, thanks very much.

I inquired about receiving temporary benefits until I could secure a job, but didn't qualify for anything because I didn't have a permanent address. That was pretty silly because if I had a job, I would have had the means for a permanent address. If I had a job and a permanent address, why would I have needed temporary aid? Go figure.

Instead I called the licensing board for day care facilities and they provided me with a list of day care people I could call. Once I secured a job, I hired a lady who cared for kids out of her home and she charged a price I could afford.

o
well.....ok Heri

Heri,

I just read through your questions and they have nothing to do with me or this thread. What does it matter how old my daughter was or who would care for her? There are always resources, always, one just has to have the tenacity to find them. I married the day after I turned 17 so obviously, I'd never been employed before. And Running shoes? Are you serious? They aren't even something a homeless person would think about; especially back then! They (we) would just run in whatever shoes they have. But what you seem to really miss here is something that has already been written in several posts by several different posters, IT'S NOT ABOUT THE PROGRAM INSISTING THEY RUN, IT'S ABOUT WHAT RUNNING THE MILE GIVES TO THE RUNNER!!!

It provides emotions that they need to reconnect with. And again, its different for everyone but some examples would be courage or strength to persevere, self esteem as a result of the accomplishment, a change in perspective, "I can" instead of "I can't", it can even provide some much needed structure by having to be somewhere at a certain time and meet an expectation. (like a job would require)

If you had ever been in that situation, you would instantly get that, but you haven't, and since you haven't you really shouldn't be criticizing the sponsors' motives or the comments by a poster who has been there.

It's like the 12 steps for an addict, I've never been an addict so I don't understand the steps, but they do help people in that situation who am I to question that?

I never made a claim, I shared an experience, there is a difference. I don't care if you believe it or not, I have nothing to prove to you or anyone else for that matter. Whether you take something from my story or you don't is of no consequence to me.

You act like I owe you something but I don't and I find your questions to be rudely forward which makes this yet another time that you've insulted me. If I had responded in a thread that was about something political I could understand, but I didn't. I responded in a thread about the homeless in New York with a story about being homeless myself. I wanted to share my experience to provide a different perspective. Surprise, not everyone is like you and posts with a political agenda. You can't find my political views anywhere because I have no interest in politics. The views I do have are personal and I don't talk about them to anyone but my husband. Nothing I ever write has a political thought or motivation behind it because politics is never a subject I care to think about; I don't like the way people behave when they talk politics, I don't like the way the politicians behave either. It's all corrupt and I don't choose to spend my time stressing over it. So please before you ever respond to another one of my posts, remember to take it at face value and *please* respond accordingly.

o

Lukkiirish:
I am disappointed that you chose not to answer some basic questions in order to place your comments (including your stated "hatred") in some political context and perspective, especially since you do not often post here.
Actually, I don't recall you posting on HT at all so I just don't know where you are coming from politically. Absent that, it is hard to take a one-off post here by you seriously. I gave you some basic questions related to contraception, abortion, woman's rights, welfare, Medicaid and asked whether or not you support Romney, and why or why not. Pretty basic politics which is pretty much what this forum is about.

demi:

"Gutter" usually refers to some sexual connotation.
The weight of an obese Republican Governor was pointed out to demonstrate how absurd and hypocritical it was for anyone to suggest that unemployed homeless people are lazy and need to run. Most probably can't afford to nourish themselves for such a run, suit themselves up with athletic shoes and clothing for a run, wash the sweaty clothing out on the streets, or take care of any twisted ankles, sprains or other medical problems they might encounter. And of course no Obamacare for them. If they indeed have an infant, as Lukkiirish stated she raised while homeless, I am not sure who would watch that infant for them three times per week so they could qualify under the perfect attendance responsibility requirements.

Thus, my mention of Christy, a public figure, was quite proper.
Conversely, your mention of the First lady's backside had nothing to do with weight or laziness or her physical stamina. Michelle is a regular runner and is in excellent condition. She does have a large behind which, as you well know, many black females have because of their genes. You can try to blow the dog whistle all day, but sometimes somebody has to call you out on it.

o
RE: Program in NY offdcers Running Start for Homeless

lukki added:

before you ever respond to another one of my posts, remember to take it at face value ....Hiri, You know, I hate people like you because your ignorance is so over whelming. I find your questions to be rudely forward which makes this yet another time that you've insulted me.

I did take what you said at face value and did not respond in kind with hatred, or bother to insult you back.

I just read over the questions to you and do not see anything improper or "rudely forward" (I thought that "rudely forward is an expression most often used to refer to an unwanted advance). On the contrary, the political questions about woman's rights and politics are very typical of the subject matter that we discuss here.

before you ever respond to another one of my posts, remember to take it at face value

Actually, I do not plan on responding to you further given your 'hatred' for me so don't even worry about me taking anything that you say at face value. I am too old to countenance any more haters and God knows, there are already too many on here that express hatred from time to time.

o
RE: Program in NY xzoffers Running Start for Homeless

Hiri, You know, I hate people like you because your ignorance is so over whelming.

Why do some of you think I am "hiri" ;-)

o
RE: Program in NY offers Ruxnning Start for Homeless

haydayhayday:

I thought you were formerly known as "hayseedman."

No?

o

Heri, there are quite a few posters that fit their former GW membership monikers, right down to being connected to the same photo storage facilities bearing their old names. It's not hard to figure out who is who, and who used to be who. It barely takes any technical knowledge whatsoever to detect these things.

As for the hurdles to being homeless and jobless, it's very true... without an address, you can't get a job... and without a job, you can't obtain an address. It's like a carefully placed catch-22 that keeps a person on the losing end of society. You're teased with that lower rung held just out of reach.

I couldn't even imagine what that would be like with an infant... at least my three children were a little older and in school, so it was a bit easier.

And it IS awfully strange and hypocritical that an obese and wealthy politician thinks they have an inkling of what life is like from the other side of the fence.

The best part of a public message board like this one is that one has the option of scrolling right past those posters they'd prefer to ignore, the ones they know have nothing of value to impart but are all about the next gotcha or insult, and you can reply to those you are more certain have something truthful and worthwhile to impart.

As November inches ever closer, this forum inches ever closer to the swirling waters of the bowl, and drips with pure hatred, apparent by several of the incidents we've witnessed here lately, and how quickly each thread seems to degrade into personal insults and the usual, expected message board games people play.

If it weren't for the several fair, rational, and decent posters that frequent this board to give original opinions or impart factual, vetted information, it wouldn't even be worth the effort it takes to click in order to get here. That's how low the games of politics and class warfare have sunk.

I'm with you all the way, Heri, in your assessment of what is a half-assed attempt to look good to certain voting bases some of these kooky political figures go with their programs to "help"... truth be told, the only benefit goes to them through publicity... and I bet if one followed the trail of government grants and vested monies, one might find something else, as well. Nothing surprises me anymore in this, the land of the supposedly free, where liberty and justice for all are falsely reported to exist.

o

I don't remember being grilled about my politics and personal history when I started posting here. I don't recall anyone ever being asked those questions before. We learned about new posters from what they wrote with some of taking the words at face value and others reading between the lines to tell posters what they really meant (and most times getting it absolutely wrong) by their posts.

Have the rules changed and I didn't know? Or was Heri appointed lord and king of this board and gets to demand background information from anyone new who posts?

o

Heri:

"haydayhayday:
I thought you were formerly known as "hayseedman."

No?"

Jodi:

"Heri, there are quite a few posters that fit their former GW membership monikers, right down to being connected to the same photo storage facilities bearing their old names. It's not hard to figure out who is who, and who used to be who. It barely takes any technical knowledge whatsoever to detect these things."

You people are just too clever for me.

There's nothing there, but it's so much fun to watch you play with it. I'm going to let you enjoy it.

Hay, aka: Hay

o

Demi, you can have on all you wish but your remarks were in very poor taste.

The first Lady is the First Lady and she does not warrant a petty remark about her "backside". The comment further supports thoughts I already hold.

o

Chase, with all due respect, I don't care what you think because you've shown me sides I don't care for, as well.

This is one of them.

Peace.

o

"By the way Demi, that comment about your First Lady demonstrated a lack
of class that ,until now, I had never associated with you.

Demi's observation is perfectly appropriate. One look calls into question what kind of "credentials" qualify our first lady to lecture anyone on matters of exercise or nutrition.

o

Wow!

o

ugly !!!!

o

Nik, time for your eye exam!

o

Thanks Jill, appreciate your comments.

Heri, I love how coy you got when something was posted that you didn't like, yet even when others questioned your original post to me, you didn't back track at all.

I don't appreciate being challenged or grilled about my experience or believes as if I have something to prove to you. The tone of your post was not what I would consider to be forum friendly or just inquisitive like others who posed questions (of which I was happy to respond to). If I wanted to share my political perspectives then I would have joined in on the banter in the thread, but I don't and you should have maybe picked up on that. Maybe a large percentage of this forum involves political topics but this one didn't which is why I felt comfortable posting in it. I apologize if something I said offended you; I also feel offended though I doubt you'd ever apologize as well. Yes, probably best if we do avoid each others posts. Good day.

o

Nic, Jealousy is Rather Unbecoming on you.

I find this entire Michelle behind bashing funny. I personally did not know so many females looked at women's behind and lust after their behinds. Is there some kind of behind envy going about these days?

o

Marquest--some people find the "bubble butt" effect charming; Jennifer Lopez comes to mind. :-) I personally am not one of those people.

Females do look at butts--and faces and legs and feet and hair, and so on. You don't? Men do it, too.

And you're right; both the bashing and the butt ARE funny!

o

Wow, heri. Nobody has to answer questions about their politics or anything else to be able to post on this forum. At least not the last time I checked. I don't understand where you're coming from on this one.

o

Oh elvis of course you would not look at Lopez's behind that is why she came to mind.

Don't forget Beyonce the guys drool over her behind. I bet Demi, and Nik are drooling over her behind too. Seems they are fixated on behinds. LOL

Oh this is too funny. Maybe I can help them out. They sell behind enhancer I saw them on one of those "As seen on TV" commercials. I wondered why they sold these because of Demi and Nik I now know why. Let me do a search so they can buy some. Envy will be cured.

Marquest--some people find the "bubble butt" effect charming; Jennifer Lopez comes to mind. :-) I personally am not one of those people.

o

Actually it's the sheer size that gets my attention. Kind of awe-inspiring, like the Titanic, or the Empire State Building. Immense.

o

Why is it assumed that Nic and I are "jealous" of Mrs. Obama's backside?

Why is it assumed I don't have a great behind?

Actually, I do! My trainer said it's better than some of the 30 year olds he works with.

It's great.

It's just not wide and it's proportional to my body.

;)

o

Portion control is certainly a factor in PROportion. Poor Mr Christy; he obviously screwed up~~ ;-)

o

Demi this is a paid trainer? LOL

When I took tennis lessons my paid instructor said I was GREAT. I was not. LOL

NewsFlash They are paid to lie.

Here is the As Seen on TV Ad.

Here is a link that might be useful: As seen on TV

o

Marq, you have no sense of humor. None. When you say "LOL" it might as well mean "Lots of Lettuce" or "Love of Larceny" or... "Left of Lucid". For heaven's sake. Lighten up, will ya?

o

Marquest,

Maybe it's just your trainer who who is paid to lie? Maybe you have that site bookmarked just for you. "As Seen on TV?" I don't know why you have to say such nasty and personal things about people.

o

"I don't know why you have to say such nasty and personal things about people."

Did you read the entire post? According to some going to the gutter is appropriate. I did not bring up anybody's behind. I was trying to understand how someone's behind is a issue.

I do not focus on other women's behind. I am happy with what I have so it is an area I would not think to bring up in a post. I am trying to figure out what invoked the comment.

Elvis it is funny. Think about what was said. It makes you scratch your head and laugh. The discussion was about "Homeless people and running for jobs" and we went to behinds big and small. Now you have to see the humor in that direction.

o

Yes, he's paid and there is another body part that is not as great as my behind and says we need to work on more, and I need to work on more at home.

So, am I not paying him enough so he will lie about that part, too?

Why would he lie about one and not the other?

For your information, and it's too much information but you put me in this position, he's not the only one that says that--my husband and male friend say the same and my girlfriends when we go shopping together.

And they're not paid!

Marquest, your attempts to insult me, and Nic, are pathetic.

You don't control this situation, this topic, and my point to Heri by asking him if he would be willing to post a photo of Michelle Obama's back end with her agenda about obesity and nutrition in light of his posting Christy and his comments is still valid. I made my point.

You are just harassing posters and feeling full of yourself.

Enjoy, it's pathetic.

o
Petty

Oh, and it's mean too.

Really? Posting links?

You're not funny, you're juvenile and petty.

I would say you fit in, on the mean part.

But even most posters here aren't juvenile or petty.

o

You have behind issues and I am not going to discuss them any further with you.

Now the running for jobs I think is a very good idea. I hope other states will see what New York is doing and help people in need in their city. These are very difficult times in our Country.

o

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 10:30

You have behind issues and I am not going to discuss them any further with you.

Apparently you're the one with the issue with my behind, marquest, since I didn't bring mine up and you keep bringing my behind up on numerous posts, even saying that I "drool" over Mrs. Obama's behind.

That's just sick.

You even post links and talk about padding?

That's sick.

What kind of person would go to the trouble to do something like that?

I keep thinking you are going to embarrass yourself enough.

Apparently not.

Running is good.

Running is not required for people to get help; they can get help without running if they want it.

o

Back to the OP. Good for you, Marq ;-)

I think it's great, too. To me, it's always wonderful to see private efforts to help truly needy people. When the government is doing that job, there's speculation as to how much is necessary, how much is too much, who is deserving, etc. With a private enterprise, there are no tax dollars involved, and that lends itself to a lot more flexibility, and criticism should be nonexistent.

It's all good!

o

Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 11:26

"Nic, Jealousy is Rather Unbecoming on you."

WHAT!? Just how long have you been speculating about my behind! ROTFLMAO!!!

Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 10:30

"You have behind issues and I am not going to discuss them any further with you."

Demi, Somebody may have "behind issues" but I don't think it's you...!

It's one thing to make an observation about a famous backside. It's quite another to sit around imagining the behinds of people you don't even know. Who does that?

o

Yes we so often complain about homeless and do nothing to help. New York is helping.

o

It's one thing to make an observation about a famous backside. It's quite another to sit around imagining the behinds of people you don't even know. Who does that?

That was my question.

The harassing personal comments were not only disconcerting, but somewhat disturbing.

o

Marquest, despite how some of the remarks from the two women and Elvis reads, I think that the remarks are being misinterpreted.

How low would an American citizen have to stoop in order to laughingly criticise the rear end of an actually proven, obviously extremely fit First Lady - on the internet - where everyone from fellow Americans to the rest of the world - including terrorists- can read and then gauge the way Americans think and thus, openly speak, of the wife of the leader of their own country?

A country which has willingly sent their children to fight and die for them, most recently in the last two wars for which angry retribution may yet *still* be exacted?

Everyone knows that the First Lady spent a great deal of extreme time and extreme effort in intense education in order to be able to become an attorney and practice, this was her dream in life and she worked incredibly hard to reach her goal. She did not come from a wealthy family nor did she have a trust fund and yet - exercisig personal responsibility she became not a legal secretary, not a paralegal, but put in the intense time and the intense effort to become nothing short of an actual, respected practicing attorney. She was excellent and was invited to join a prestigious law firm, she married and had two beautiful, well behaved, intelligent children.

She was every mother's dream. She is, actually, the very standard which the conservative women here insist upon for every woman who comes from a background which does not include trust funds.

Her credentials are impeccable.

When her husband wanted to run for the presidency, she knew that if he won, she would have to give up her dream - all that she had worked her entire teen-adult life in order to allow the country to have the leader for which the overwhelming majority of voters proved they wished to have.

So, she did.

There is no first lady who runs for the position, it is one which is thrust upon her once she agrees to support her husband in his winning the office.

There is no first lady who is able to ever return to the life or to the career she forged for herself pre-election win.

They must give up that particular career forever. Few ever have another career they can turn to. Hobby, yes. Different social life, yes. Career and life before the White House, no.

Mrs. Clinton is one of the very few (the only one I can recall) who was able to continue in another career for herself, but even she could never have returned to her own legal practice, to the dream for which she studied so hard to attain. She was given an opportunity by her President to be on his team, but her days as an attorney working in law offices are forever behind her, never to be returned to, not even if she wanted to.

To think that these three forum members would be so hateful, so very spiteful about the actual physical shape of an obviously very fit First Lady - about her very physicality in which her (and their) Christian God CHOSE for her, FORMED for her, is simply going too far, Marquest.

These people continually state that they resent the insinuation that they, too, will drop to the level which they percieve other forum members which are not conservative of course, continually drop to, on this forum. They do say among themselves that fellow conservatives never behave so badly as do liberals. So, this gives you their mindset.

Wait!

Maybe not Elvis, I honestly don't recall him ever expressing such resentment regarding the perception about his own behavior on this forum personally, I will admit. If he has, I stand corrected.

It certainly would be, though, very inappropriate to insist that, in fact, they HAVE dropped lower in their content than in most any thread I've personally ever read - about the physical appearance about their President's wife, and their own First Lady on the World Wide Web.

Inappropriate and unfair, Marquest.

They know what is in their hearts, and from the various declarations made, we simply must assume that the comments were made in total admiration and pride in the appearance of their First Lady, vocally, on the world wide web.

I have no idea what Elvis was referring to when speaking of the Titantic or the Empire State Building, but he knows what is in his heart also, and surely an American citizen would never even consider to purposly set about the job of denigrating the body shape of his president's wife, a shape and musculature, given to her by his own God - and proceed to do so in an American public forum, where every terrorist or terrorist sympathizer can easily find and read, such ugly comments from American citizens.

That would be unpatriotic, unamerican, unchristian and simply shameful behavior, to speak so about a woman who is not paid one thin dime from the taxpayer pocket and must endure public comments about her husband which she knows is not true, and yet continue to conduct herself with grace and dignity - which most, if not all First Ladies do so well.

It would be such ugly behavior that even in their darkest of hearts, they would not (or should not, if they are of any decent character) be able to excuse or forgive themselves. Forgive themselves for such spiteful, ugly, personally directed remarks to a woman who doesn't even collect a paycheck for the work she does on their behalf.

I simply don't accept that there are American forum members with such hate in their hearts. Not even members from other countries would not be so hateful or spiteful in their remarks about a woman they have never met, in a job which provides her no pay for the continual work she does on behalf of her fellow countrymen and women.

Though it is true - that I also have no idea what Nic meant by her remarks - but I'm sure it was kind words of simple respect, simply expressed in a way in which I fail to be able to understand. Which ends up being my problem, not her failure.

And Demi?

Now, Demi is so often misunderstood by the very words she speaks and on this subject she complains about, repeatedly, maybe as often as weekly. There is no forum member Im aware of who is so often misunderstood by her words as is Demi.

Of COURSE she would not denigrate the appearance of the First Lady of her country where even terrorist or terrorist sympathizers can easly read and assimilate her comments as being typical American comments, comments of such shameful intent.

After all, Demi herself repeatedly reminds us that she never, ever allows herself to stoop to such levels which she feels the rest of us liberals willingly stoop. It wouldn't even ever occur to her to do so. She told us so.

It was all admirable words which were misunderstood - and you simply must accept it as such.

We are all Americans, we are certainly free and willing (as we should be) to fairly critize our Presidents and those running for the President but our First Lady, ALL first Ladies, should be considered off limits for demeaning remarks by all individuals, regardless of the feelings held for the Presidents and those running for that position.

It is only those people who run for office or are voted into the office who deserve such intense criticism - the First Ladies however, by necessity, had to follow and do a job which is unpaid, often unappreciated, sometimes critized, often overlooked - but one would hope, never commented upon with mean, ugly, lowdown, common and spiteful hearts.

And no one deserves critisim about how the very fit, very musculature rear end has been shaped by their own Christian God, if one believes in this God. Which I once did, so I know the rules about this matter. And the natural shape of a woman's body and ugly remakds about it are against ALL those rules, in case anyone is thinking about actually making ugly remarks about the First Lady's natural shape.

I must feel certain that no current forum member lowers themselves to this particular level of such disgraceful, humilating, very public behavior.

Shame on you Marquest.

Now, say you are sorry.

And that you won't do it again.

o

Bravo, Bravo, Bravo!

The Judge of All That is Right and Civil and Good has spoken.

When are you getting around to Heri, Lily, Maddie, Jerzeegirl and Labrea?

o

Why, thank you Demi! I hope I have provided needed food for thought, most especially for those who need it!

I do that the above remarks which I must admit, from reading the whole respose, sounds snarky, does NOT mean that I was incorrect in my assessment of your words and I can continue to hope you are agreeing that Marquest badly misjudged your words? Yes?

And that if you were, in fact being snarky in your above remarks, it was about something else I might have said, unrelated to this matter? Yes?

Because of COURSE since you do not hate (as you stated just today) - certainly not your President, it would logically follow that you would most certainly NOT say such hateful words about his wife's physicality, i.e. her muscular rear end, the muscles which she was BORN with......, or anything else about her body she was BORN with...... yes?

So, Marquest, you are NOT off the hook!

Demi, before you waste time worrying about those other people chiming in, that woman who made those racist remarks and then went trolling for sympathy after being called on them needs your kind and protective words - yet again - today.

Elvis, break out another metaphor for her, she is gonna need it!

o

A bravo from me too mylab.

There is no doubt at all in my mind what the intent was in Demi's disrespectful remarks concerning the first lady. None whatsoever.

Of course I will be lectured on how I couldn't possibly know and how I better STOP. ...... but the comment speaks for itself. Words are a window to the soul.

When I said it was in poor taste I was being polite.

o

Well, mylab and chase you are both wrong.

But think what you will--as I said, it's like shooting fish in a barrel to say something and watch you people trip all over yourselves trying to prove that someone else is mean or a bad person.

Get this--if I really wanted to insult Mrs. Obama I could do a good job. But I didn't.

I wanted to make a point to Heri about his posting of Chris Christy's photo and his comments and made a comparison by asking if he wanted to post a picture of Mrs. Obama's backside along with her campaign against obesity and for nutrition and exercise.

It really didn't have anything to do with her, I could have chosen another liberal, but it did pop into my head first.

I never described the woman's backside, only referenced it.
So apparently you all knew exactly what conclusions to jump to, didn't you? Perhaps you knew exactly why.

How does that make you any different?

Why don't you lecture Lily on having no class for the many mean and hateful and disparaging things she's said about others' physical appearance? I didn't say anything hateful and I get the full treatment about you two knowing "who I am" and basically what a terrible person I am.

I don't buy it.
It's what you want to believe because I don't agree with you.

Lily and Maddie can and have said not only hateful and truly disgusting things referencing public figures and posters here on this forum and they don't get this treatment from you, do they?

Mr. Christy's appearance might very well be every bit as natural as Mrs. Obama's backside.

Who are you to know, or to assume?

Your hypocrisy is astounding.

Now, I'm very disappointed in you two.

How does it feel to know you are a hypocrite and judgmental?

Again, you could have left my comments alone, instead you take up time attacking me, personally.

And I have responded.

You have no high ground.

o
@@@Program in NY offers Running Start for Homeless

Methinks the lady does protest too much.....

o

Of course you would.

Do you honestly think I'm so stupid as to say what I did and NOT expect the reaction I got?

As I said, you people are SO predictable.

Now, I have to go for that walk, have to keep that backside in good shape ! :)

:)

o

I would suggest that while you work on your backside, you work on your integrity, honesty and ego as you present it to be in this forum Demi.

Those remarks about the First lady was pretty bad, your as usual denial was worse. Nobody buys into your little game, i suspect not even yourself.

So that just leaves you being you when you come into this forum.

So, as long as you are working on your backside, it would not really take any extra time to work on your honesty character you present while in this forum.

o

You crossed a line you have no right or business crossing mylab.

Bets are off with you; I've been patient but your continual hounding me and disparaging my character and now my honesty, chastising me as though you're some God and I'm some wicked child, when I have been nothing but completely honest about my comment which was nothing but a reference, especially in light of the thousands of truly hateful and mean comments made by others here, when I was only making a point to someone that WAS being mean, is inexcusable.

You are totally out of line and have no business impugning my character because of YOUR prejudices and YOUR agenda.

I'm not only disappointed, but sad and angry with your very arrogant and rule breaking behavior.

I'm done with you mylab.

o

I think the program is terrific! Then again, I am one of those mean, uncompassionate people that thinks too many freebies makes one not only ungrateful, but also insecure. I have a huge extended family and I've seen it firsthand, more than once, more than twice, more than three times...

Also, I didn't find Demi's remark offensive because I understood what point she was trying to make. Heri cles', on the other hand...

"NewsFlash They are paid to lie."

Is that so?

o

HF, I'm glad you came to take a look at this. I thought about you coming to look at the big butt fun, and then saw the thread had turned nasty again--sorry about that. It is good to have fresh eyes read this thread, though; thanks for taking the time.

o

Nasty is right! I typed and erased about 4 times before sending my final, fairly benign post!

o
RE: 'Night

I've been participating since mid-Feb. I also do a lot of re-writes...

See you 'round ;)

o

Wow just Wow. heri posts a picture of Gov. Christie, and pokes fun at a diabetic. btw, 70 to 80% of diabetics have weight issues, and it's high fives all around. demi asks why he doesn't post a picture of Michelle Obama's backside, and it's off to the over the top very personal insults directed at demi.

"Wanna post a photo of Michelle Obama's backside after posting her list to us of what we should be doing to not be obese and say the same thing to her?

See what happens when you go to the gutter, Heri. "

chase and mylab, I think you got the point that demi was making. Just a chance for you to take it and run and practice your vitriol and twist it to suit your agendas. No problem with heri making fun of diabetics right?

o

I don't have a TV, so I don't get too many opportunities to see Michele. From what I've seen of her, she's a very charming, warm woman and I can't think of anything bad to say about anything I've ever known her to do. I like her a lot. She's got a lot of class and charm.

As for her butt, my attitude is that, if Barry likes it, that's all that matters.

Hay

o
Don't try to flatter me.

I'll show you mine if you show me yours.

Tell me honestly. Do these pants make my butt look big?

Hay

o
dear terrorist

Dear Terrorist,

If you happen to be reading this thread and are looking for targets to attack, please don't come after my butt.

Thanks in advance.

Hay

o

Hay,

Those pants do not make your butt look big. Your butt makes your butt look big! ;-)

o

gross

o

Damn! Second time I've had to clean off my computer screen this morning! First time I was reading recipes for Yorkshire Terrier Pudding and Beagles with cream cheese. Now Hay posts pictures of his butt and I'm laughing so hard I can't catch my breath! Carry on!

o

Hyperbole strikes again.

o

What else is new? We all use it every day--it's usually harmless enough.

o

Calm down mrsk, caaaalm doooown....go back and read the thread with Christie's picture and then read the comments made by the more liberal forum members including myself.

And then come back if you wish, and re-discuss that thread and your poor memory about the all of the supporting and negative comments made within that thread regarding the op's comments about Christies weight. If you wish. Which I rather doubt.

And, no - I read those comments made by Demi EXACTLY as she meant them and we all know it, including you. Proof? her track record. It will happen again, probably before a week is out. How do I know? Again, her history. Endlessly repeating itself.

Believe it or not, there was a very long time when I really believed she honestly didn't understand why people 'misunderstood' her so. Now I'm so very clear on that particular issue.

Really - go back to that Christie picture thread of Heri's and yes, do get right back to us regarding your faulty memory regarding ALL the specific remarks made by ALL liberals about the comments the OP made about Christie's weight, it will do your memory good. Including mine, ok?

IF you let it, I suppose you could make yourself a martyr over that, too, if you really put great effort into selective reading while nailing those blinders right on.

But yes, I will agree with you on this point. Some of the remarks made about Christie's weight were equally as hateful and mean spirited as those made about Mrs. Obama behind, for the sole purpose of being just hateful and mean spirited and for no other reason than that. I agree with you on that point, completely.

The difference is, Mrs. Obama is not overweight, she is not in a state which would normally reduce her to a diabetes II condition sometime if she didn't change her diet and exercise program and the Christian God you and she believes in created her muscles of her backside EXACTLY that way, which means that it was his plan and his choice.

But, that does not excuse the mean spiritedness about Christie's weight, none of us can know his struggle, all of us can try to embrace the idea that if he thought he could live differently, then he would. Nobody sets out to create that "look" to present to the country - Christie didn't, of that I'm sure. I'm quite sure that 50 years from now, there will be information explaining the biology of the Christies of the world and hopefully a wonderful treatment so that those people don't suffer the way I'm quite sure he has in his private moments. Nobody *chooses* to have that problem.

I do understand that there are people who would disagree with me, that there are those who firmly believe that how people end up being of their own choices (this has been discussed here a nauseatingly large number of times), but in many areas I disagree and this would simply another area of disagreement.

However, I completely agree with you in that there was simply no difference whatsoever in the hateful and cruel intentions behind the remarks regarding either Mrs. Obama and Christie physicality or the hatefulness behind the remarks,

- so do look back and check the error or your memory. I most certainly don't look for you to come back and admit that you were incorrect in any way at all in that EVERY liberal supported the author of that thread, but I hope EVERYBODY will also revisit that thread so that EVERYBODY'S memory will be refreshed as to who didn't say what after all. No need to comment, hopefully nobody will - but, just remember.

Hay, a really good pair of well fitted jeans could give the backside in the pic a good lift and a new life! All the exercising in the world can't make a behind look good in ill fitting jeans. Exercises (lunges etc. are great) will help with excess fat or sagging muscles in the behind, but a good fitting pair of jeans will highlight the efforts and can camo the problems.

Try it, you will be flat amazed at the difference a decent fit in jeans can make!

And now I'm done with this thread, and most gratefully exit.

o

Go back and read it yourself mylab...see what happens when you go in the gutter!! A taste of your own medicine? You don't like that? Or is it that you prefer the chance to yet again make personal attacks against demi and then stand back and say...well..it was all her fault? How is it that I could see exactly what she meant and you couldn't? Or was it wouldn't? Or to anyone else who thought that the only thing she wanted heri to see was what it looked like when he attacked Christie about his weight. Now you know!! It's over the top, just as demi proved her point.

o

Wow. Thanks mrskjun.

I think Heri and I long ago quit caring, no big deal.

Except to Mylab, Chase and Marquest and maybe another poster or two. I forget.

Bizarro World where MYLAB can read minds and intents and passes judgment.

Thank God it's not MY world, or she and Lily might be stringing up parts of my anatomy and wishing me dead!

o

"No problem with heri making fun of diabetics right?"

None at all. Dems and double standards go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Posted by marquest Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 18:19
"Don't forget Beyonce the guys drool over her behind. I bet Demi, and Nik are drooling over her behind too. Seems they are fixated on behinds. LOL"

Uh oh. What happened to not judging others, marquest? I remember what you posted back in March. Do you?

o

Hmmmm. There's a pattern there, maybe. Lily & Marquest sure have a lot in common. This creepy interest with body expellents, i.e., feces, vomit, drool, and body parts, i.e., balls & butts.

Coincidence?

Back on topic, it really is great to hear about folks in need getting a helping hand :-)

o

Close to the limit on this thread so if I type it down I can get it cataloged in that part of the brain reserved for unpleasant things - I've got my colonoscopy coming up on Tuesday. The gastroenterologist might be "following his dream" but I'll be spending some before time dealing with bodily expellants.

o

Did you hear the one about the guy who asked his gastro for a note to take home to his wife?

He wanted proof that his head was really not up there...

o

Did you hear about the lonely people that troll for the weak and helpless for their entertainment.

I do not think the homeless have that problem they are looking to survive.

It is a good thing that New York is doing.

o

I think you're the most fair poster on this forum, HG.

Dang! I was going for that position. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here