Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The red fox at the White House

Posted by pidge z6PA (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 18:59

Sometimes a funny thing lands in my mail box that is not "hot" but surely is wonderful to contemplate. I do like foxes--we have some in our little woods--and I like knowing that Barack and I have a fun experience in common.

Here is a link that might be useful: Foxy lady or laddie. Cool!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The red fox at the White House

Red foxes are beautiful animals, but can be a problem if domestic dogs are kept on the same grounds as a fox. We learned this the hard way when our Gordon Setter, Elvis, contracted mange. The vet was very surprised, and asked if we had seen foxes in the yard, to which we replied yes, there is a den about 100 yards away with an adorable mother fox who raises a litter every year of darling kits. The vet advised that mange is common in red foxes (which we knew, having seen mangy foxes in the vicinity throughout the years here in the woods). The vet further advised that mange is transmittable from fox to dog.

My point: extra care should be taken with the First Dogs, with this in mind.

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 18, 14 at 19:35

That is so cool.

We see foxes in the woods behind our house, they are so beautiful. Funniest bark, if you can call it a bark.

o

Well, I have a "tame" one that roams our neighborhood, sleeps afternoons right in the middle of my rose bed or just outside my neighbor's back door. If you come walking by, it lifts its head to look at you and then puts it down and goes back to sleep. Not the least bit concerned that humans are around.

I'm really sick and tired of it hanging out in my yard some days, but the city says it can't do anything about wildlife and the Wildlife Dept says it can't do anything about wildlife that are not out in the wild. I just wanted somebody to trap it and release it in some good habitat in the wild. No one can do it, it turns out.

Kate

o

Apparently if the fox is a nuisance, something can be done legally:

By TOM GLICK
Posted Jun. 6, 2011 @ 12:01 am
Updated Jun 6, 2011 at 5:18 AM

PITTSBURG

"Red foxes (Vulpes velox) are found throughout Kansas.

One may be surprised to know nearly all live close to human habitation, including most towns and even the largest of our cities. Parks, golf courses and cemeteries are a preferred habitat, but any area, even residential or commercial properties; with a diversity of grass lawn, shrubs, and some “wilder” vegetation can become the home range of this furbearer.

Over my nearly 39 years of service with the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks and despite their close proximity to houses, neighborhoods and communities, I have received few calls on this small doglike mammal. Most of the contacts made in regard to foxes were usually informative in nature��"like an excited “You’ll never believe this, but I saw a fox in my yard!” type of comment.

That is not to say I have never had complaints; there have been a couple of dozen, mostly concerning “a fox in the hen house.” These critters do have an appetite for poultry, and any self respecting red fox would not pass up a chance for a fresh duck or chicken dinner. The solution to this problem is a concerted effort to exclude this small predator from the coop or pen. Occasionally, coupled with exclusion efforts a particular offending individual that cannot be deterred must be trapped and relocated or destroyed."

Read more: http://www.morningsun.net/article/20110606/News/306069949#ixzz2zHnYwZa3

o

Evidently I need to start raising chickens so that the foxes start breaking into the henhouse. Then the fox is a "pest" and can be removed.

Actually, that article somewhat convinced me let our neighborhood fox be. Several years ago we were really plagued by "cute" bunnies that ate up everything in our backyards. Being an avid gardener, I did my best Farmer McGregar imitation, but Peter Rabbit and companions just ignored me. I've been wondering the past couple years where all the bunnies had gone to, but now that I think of it, that was about when I started noticing periodic visits by the red fox. That article says red fox eat bunnies. Aha!

Thanks for the interesting article, Elvis. Now if we could just convince the neighborhood fox to NOT sleep in the middle of my rose bed!

Kate

o

Yes, a blessing in disguise. That sly fox!

I doubt it will bother your plants, but do keep in mind the mange thing.

o

One last thing about "your" fox, Kate. This article from the Human Society has some good info for someone like you with a resident fox.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Kind of Fox you Like

o

Thanks for the info, Elvis.

Kate

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 9:49

There ya go, more evidence that Fox is out to get Obama....and since Fox has been admiring Putin's unwavering leadership they are turning redder all the time.

o

Good one, vgkg. (grin)

Kate

o

vgkg, you must be on everyone's invite list for parties...you are a hoot! ...that's a good hoot not a HOOT hoot.

o

• Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 10:11

thx, but you folks make it easy.....and I try not to insert political jokes at parties if I want to be invited again. Here I need no invites :)

o

•Posted by vgkg 7-Va Tidewater (My Page) on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 10:11

"thx, but you folks make it easy....."

True that!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here