Return to the Hot Topics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gotta love a radical nun

Posted by natal Louisiana 8b (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 19:01

Crackdown on nuns? Time for another reformation girls!

Here is a link that might be useful: crackdown on nuns

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gotta love a radical nun

• Posted by ohiomom 3rdrockfromthesun (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 20, 12 at 19:11

...more like another inquisition :)

The "patriarchy" whether it be state or church are not happy, boo hoo hoo.

Suck it up buttercups !

o

Why are men so afraid of us? What do they think will happen if we actually form and voice our own thoughts? That they might have to kick it up a notch and actually work a little bit harder for everything from careers to relationships? Is that why they want us pregnant and back in the kitchen?

Crackdown on NUNS?! Um... okay...

o
RE: some Nun Wisdom

At a convent in Ireland, the 98-year-old Mother Superior lay dying. The nuns gathered around her bed trying to make her last journey comfortable. They tried giving her warm milk to drink but she refused it. One of the nuns took the glass back to the kitchen. Then, remembering a bottle of Irish Whiskey that had been received as a gift the previous Christmas, she opened it and poured a generous amount into the warm milk.Back at Mother Superior's bed, they held the glass to her lips. The frail nun drank a little, then a little more and before they knew it, she had finished the whole glass down to the last drop. As her eyes brightened, the nuns thought it would be a good opportunity to have one last talk with their spiritual leader."Mother," the nuns asked earnestly, "Please give us some of your wisdom before you leave us..." She raised herself up in bed on one elbow, looked at them and said: "Don't sell that cow.."

o

It says the group is undermining Roman Catholic teaching on homosexuality and is promoting "feminist themes incompatible with the Catholic faith".

Feminist themes? Can I download one for Firefox?

o

Why are men so afraid of us?

In a nutshell - they are afraid of losing power and control. That applies to prelates in the RC church, politicians, and any other man who feels he has to control someone, usually women, in order to feel "whole".

For the ultimate in controlling women, see the link. It's long. I didn't know whether to laugh or throw up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Godless American Women

o

There's so few nuns left to begin with.

"Sister Simone Campbell, who runs a Washington-based Catholic social justice group called Network, said she believed the Vatican's harsh tone stemmed from anger about the nuns' support for President Barack Obama's efforts to get a healthcare overhaul through the U.S. Congress in 2009 and 2010. U.S. bishops opposed the law, signed by Obama in 2010.

The Vatican "clearly got upset that we were effective at communicating our views politically," Campbell said."

The Men in the red hats would prefer that Iron Ladies stay in cloisters on their knees rattling their beads too late. A reformation would hardly do for these dinosaurs in Rome & their minions in the American conference of bishops.
For years they were cheap labor in schools & hospitals with a mythology that surrounded them making them almost non human.
My cousin Eileen was a nun for 20 years from 16 to 37 she left married an now at 75 claims the whole period was a drain emotionally ans well as a challenge to any faith she ever may have had then. Shes still a Catholic but is more a cultural 1 than a true pious woman like her mother. Her sister would have also been a nun but dropped out before taking her final vows.
These women were hardly even considered women & particularly when they had problems. Alcoholism often went undiagnosed in convents & then the nuns receiving any kind of medical care were often prescribed medications which made them cross addicted (no pun intended).
I know at east 6 or 7 ex nuns in recovery & theri shame & stories are truly sad & quite revaltory.
Former Sr Stephen & I worked at the Daily new together & went to a lot of meetings together her story was one of deep hidden shame, fear of lesbian tendencies, alcholism & eventually leaving the convent feeling empty & used up & her story is not unique..

Here is a link that might be useful: Sr Ruth's story

o

When I was in college I came to know a group of Nuns through a Catholic friend and having no previous knowledge of Catholicism I was absolutely shocked at the attitude of the church towards these women. Their order was barely able to maintain itself with many elderly nuns but that didn't matter-their income had to go to the church and too bad if they couldnt take care of their own. It was eye opening for me.
Dockside-oh my...what a screed-interesting that almost no one was willing to post comments using a name. I have always found the concept of Male superiority destroyed by corrupt feminity to be so strange. If man cant resist woman then what? Where is the superiority? Something to mull while I weed the rose bed next to the house.

o

This is a gem docksides link threw up

Be not surprised when these (godless) women rally a nation to hate and despise god-fearing women such as Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachman, and a host of other conservative Christian women.

Someones been reading (writing to) Hot Topics.

o

I'd sign myself Anonymous too if I had written (let alone believed) this tripe...

"If men would defend their wives, correct them, and teach their daughters,and together give up that which allures, the tv programs and ads, the newspaper ads (especially the loaded underwear ads in the Sunday paper - sadly viewed even before many attend Church)..."

o

• Posted by momj47 7A..was 6B (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 21, 12 at 15:28

Welcome to 1492. Christianity has just taken a giant step backwards. Are they going to insist, now, that women be covered from head to toe, you know, so they don't "tempt" those weak, powerless, easily tempted men.

Dockside - What an ugly, intolerant screed you linked to, how on earth did you find it. I grew up in a narrow-minded church that espoused these vile sentiments. Leaving it behind was like stepping into the light. I think Jesus would be shamed by these ideas, and the people who espouse them.

I hope the Catholic Church, actually, any church, suffers a great loss of tolerant, compassionate, humane members because of this, they deserve nothing less.

Churches have acknowledged over the years how important women are - since they do most everything that keeps a church going, yet they persist in keeping women "in their place".

o

From Dockside's link:

Since the sixties, the women of American have become heavily indoctrinated by secularism and they have changed dramatically into godless, licentious, narcissistic, angry and lewd individuals.

Thank you for your concern. We women sure have been enjoying ourselves, haven't we? Let's go for another 50 years!

o

Yeah... that was a little too bible filled and weird for my blood. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that all women are not innocent when it comes to the state of our world today, nor are all men to be blamed.

There are also women who beat and abuse their husbands... men are not the only abusers.

It's those that wish to keep this patriarchal influence in place, and women who either take advantage of their fellow human beings with the same type of mentality, or those that stand silently behind men, taking their abuse, agreeing with this uneven world.

Women and men need to stand side by side... or whichever sex you choose as your partner... as equal partners in life. Only when our children see us respect and help and support each other will they understand what it means to be fair and equal.

I don't really understand where it comes from, this "pick on the weaker" mentality... those that are weaker have always been the targets of those afraid to stand up to their equals or someone bigger.

It's not size that wins battles, though... it's intelligence and heart, courage and bravery. The will and inner strength to stand up for what's right, and the empathy to understand what the other might feel. Knowledge and empathy are power.

The weaknesses and insecurities of those who stand in places of patriarchal power must be mighty... that they cannot see the better way of combined strength of both men and women.

This why I can't buy into the church thing... right off the bat, we have a male deity... creating man first, then not creating woman in her own right, but from a piece of man. And then making woman the first sinner, the weaker, and relegating her to carry that sin, and automatically pass it on to her offspring.

I do not buy it. I can't. I'm just as intelligent and capable as my male counterparts. And I can be just as strong, too.

But... women possess something men do not... the power to bear life. That's, I think, where it all stems from deep down somewhere in the recesses of that male mentality. I think this is the key.

o

momj47 - I found that on Free Republic. I go there periodically to see what the ultra-right-wing-wackos are upset about at the moment. There were 8 or 9 responses that agreed with the screed. The other one disagreed and was taken to task for her (I presume) voicing her disagreement.

o

Dockside: "There were 8 or 9 responses that agreed with the screed. The other one disagreed and was taken to task for her voicing her disagreement."

Ink could be right. That definitely sounds like HT. ;-)

o

Oh my, looking at underwear ads before church. I wonder what my pastor would have to say about that. The problem would be not the pictures but the spew of profanity at the cost of said little pieces of undergarments. Jeepers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hot Topics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here